Ciprodex – Poison Marketed to Children

Ciprodex Ear Drops

Ciprodex is an ear drop that is used in children, especially children under the age of 3, the main people who get ear infections, that contains Cipro, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, and Dexamethasone, a steroid. Let me list the ways in which this is HORRIFYING:

1. Fluoroquinolones are dangerous drugs. Their adverse effects include DESTRUCTION of all connective tissue throughout the body. This includes tendons, ligaments, fascia and cartilage. Destroying the connective tissue of a growing child is a REALLY BAD IDEA. Fluoroquinolones also adversely effect the nervous systems – central, peripheral, and autonomic nervous systems. Destroying a child’s central nervous system, its BRAIN, is also a REALLY BAD IDEA. A child’s brain is not fully developed and to damage it with chemicals is unconscionable. Fluoroquinolones are so dangerous that many have been removed from the market due to serious adverse reactions and safety concerns. The fluoroquinolones that have been removed from the market include gatifloxacin, repafloxacin, temafloxacin,trovafloxacin and afloxacin. Cipro (ciprofloxacin) may be formulated in a way that makes it slightly less strong, or, if you’re feeling cynical, it may be formulated in a way that adverse effects tend to be delayed, and thus it is not perceived as being as dangerous as other, recalled, fluoroquinolones, but it’s still REALLY DANGEROUS. Hell, it messed me up pretty severely, and I was a strong and healthy 32 year old. I can only imagine what it would do to a child. I shudder at the thought.
  2. Fluoroquinolones should NEVER be co-administered with a steroid. They are contraindicated with steriods. Yet Bayer, in all its glory and brilliance, decided that it would be a good idea to combine a fluoroquinolone and a steroid in a single medication then market it to children. Awesome. Steroids weaken tendons, fluoroquinolones weaken tendons, putting them together is a toxic cocktail. Steroids also intensify the toxicity syndrome that is “Floxing.”
  3. Because Ciprodex is an ear drop, it doesn’t carry the same warnings as orally administered Cipro. I’m sure that a drug that goes into the digestive tract is metabolized differently than a drug that goes into the body via the ear. However, I am also sure that people can be floxed by ear and eye drops because I’ve talked to people who have been poisoned that way. To take the warning labels off of ear and eye drops is absurd. The drugs are still going into the body. Eyes and ears aren’t disconnected from the rest of the body just because they’re not directly connected to the digestive tract. I’m not asking anyone to believe in homeopathy or to go to a holistic physician, but I am saying that it is crazy to think that drugs that go into the ear and/or the eye don’t go into the body. Ears and eyes actually are part of the body, not separate floating entities completely disconnected from the rest of the being. Yet the FDA treats them this way and doesn’t demand the same warning labels on ear and eye drops. So parents are completely uninformed of the dangers of Ciprodex when they administer it to their children.
  4. Again Ciprodex is specifically marketed to children – what is wrong with these people? And what is wrong with the FDA? Children, the most inherently vulnerable people in our society, the people who are depending completely on others to take care of them, are being endangered at the least and permanently damaged at the worst, by pharmaceutical companies and a medical system that isn’t looking out for them. This is disgusting.

Here is the package insert for Ciprodex – http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=0ed518de-4ae1-43d1-84ff-26872d9e6a0f . Some things to note in the insert are:

1. The amount of Cipro in it is low. This is good. Seriously, thank God.
  2. It is approved for use in patients 6 months of age and older. This is appalling.
  3. CIPRODEX® Otic is contraindicated in patients with a history of hypersensitivity to ciprofloxacin, to other quinolones, or to any of the components in this medication.” So, if your baby starts having seizures, you may want to discontinue use of this drug because it turns out that your child now has a history of hypersensitivity to Cipro. Too bad they don’t mention that an adverse reaction isn’t reversible. And how, other than poisoning their children, are parents supposed to know whether or not their child has a history of hypersensitivity to these drugs?
  4. Serious acute hypersensitivity reactions may require immediate emergency treatment.” This implies that there is a treatment. There isn’t. If your child has an adverse reaction to this drug and you take him or her to the emergency room, he or she will likely be pumped full of steroids which will make him or her worse. Then the child will have connective tissue and nervous system issues for a while, possibly for the rest of his or her life. But sure, tell your doctor immediately if your child experiences a hypersensitive reaction. They won’t be able to do anything about it, but they may realize that they poisoned your child and may avoid doing it again in the future.
  5. If the infection is not improved after one week of treatment, cultures should be obtained to guide further treatment.” Cultures should be obtained before the administration of any antibiotic, period. Fluoroquinolones should not be used as a first line of defense against verified bacteria, period.
  6. The systemic administration of quinolones, including ciprofloxacin at doses much higher than given or absorbed by the otic route, has led to lesions or erosions of the cartilage in weight-bearing joints and other signs of arthropathy in immature animals of various species.” Yup. And I wouldn’t trust that the amount absorbed by the otic route is too small, especially seeing as everyone’s tolerance for fluoroquinolones seems to be different. Some people die after 2 pills, others take 90 before they have a reaction. Besides, the people who are testing these drugs are the ones selling them. Don’t trust the bastards.
  7. Guinea pigs dosed in the middle ear with CIPRODEX® Otic for one month exhibited no drug-related structural or functional changes of the cochlear hair cells and no lesions in the ossicles.” Well, it’s nice to know that their ears looked okay. Could they run though? Could they still find their way through a puzzle (or do whatever cognitive things guinea pigs can do?) How did their brains look? How did their tendons look? You don’t know because you weren’t looking? Oh…. I see.
  8. It is very important to use the ear drops for as long as the doctor has instructed, even if the symptoms improve.” It is very important to stop using fluoroquinolones as soon as possible after you start having an adverse reaction. Even after stopping administration of them, the adverse reaction can continue. Since we’re talking about children, it’s really important that you stop giving your children drugs that are poisoning them. Discontinue use immediately.
  9. Specific drug interaction studies have not been conducted with CIPRODEX® Otic.” I’ll tell you that NSAIDs and steroids trigger adverse reactions.
  10. Ciprofloxacin and corticosteroids, as a class, appear in (breast) milk following oral administration.” This is bad.
  11. No clinically relevant changes in hearing function were observed in 69 pediatric patients (age 4 to 12 years) treated with CIPRODEX® Otic and tested for audiometric parameters.” Your child will still be able to hear. That’s good. He or she may even be able to hear constant ringing (tinnitus), a common effect of fluoroquinolone toxicity. That’s bad.
  12. All of the adverse events listed are things involving the ear. Of course, adverse effects on the ear should be noted when studying ear drops, but the rest of the subject should also be noted. Of the 937 babies poisoned by Ciprodex, how many suffered from subsequent tendon pain? How many had cartilage, tendons, ligaments or fascia that were mal-formed? How many of these children subsequently read at a normal level? How many of these children displayed symptoms of autism? Could they run? Could the jump? Could they think? Could they concentrate? Did they have GI problems? ALL of these things are problems associated with fluoroquinolone toxicity, and if none of these questions were asked, then the researchers were LOOKING AT THE WRONG THINGS. THEY WERE ASKING THE WRONG QUESTIONS AND THE SAFETY AND EFFICACY OF THIS DRUG HAS NOT BEEN ESTABLISHED PROPERLY.

Even if all of the 937 children who were part of this study (side-note – don’t put your children in drug studies, just don’t) were fine, (and I doubt that is the case), effects of fluoroquinolones appear to be cumulative. So, even if these children didn’t react to these drugs the first time they were administered, they may react horribly to them when they get a fluoroquinolone in the future. A ticking time-bomb in their little body has been triggered, and it may get set off by future fluoroquinolone use, steroid use, NSAID use, or maybe even vaccines. (I’m not trying to vilify vaccines any more than I’m trying to vilify ibuprofen, the culprit is the fluoroquinolone, not the triggering toxin.)

fluoroquinolone-lawsuit-banner-trulaw

Ciprodex and plain Cipro ear drops are given to children constantly. A very good friend of mine brought her then 9-month old daughter to an emergency services clinic with a suspected ear infection. The doctor never cultured the bacteria in her ear, he simply prescribed her some Cipro ear drops. Thankfully I was with my friend when she went to pick up the drops and she never filled the prescription (because I flipped out). The infection went away on its own.

The following was recently posted in a Facebook group that I belong to – “My 20 month old grandson is visiting from GA. He had a follow-up appointment at Vanderbilt for his ear tubes. The physician prescribed Ciprodex Otic Suspension for an ear infection. This is a combination of Cipro and corticosterod given via the ear. The insert does not disclose all the potential side effects. The insert states there are other potential risk and if you have concerns get additional information from your health care provider (which we know how that goes). After watching my wife go from a normal life to a life with disabilities…..I am concerned. In my personal research, children are at high risk of floxing. Does anyone know of floxing via the ear drop forms of quinolone antibiotics?”

Children are being given this poison every day. A child has probably been given a dose of Ciprodex in the amount of time that it took you to read this post. I hope and pray that they are okay.

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

57 thoughts on “Ciprodex – Poison Marketed to Children

1. Debs August 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm Reply

To give this synthetic, neurotoxic , chemotherapeutic poison cocktail to innocent children is an evil of the most unimaginable magnitude, they do not have a voice,they cannot say no,
    There are just no words that can describe the warped, twisted, corrupted excuse for what the pharmaceutical industry has become.
    Those responsible for manufacturing and marketing this lethal concoction know exactly what this stuff can do and have known this for over 30 years, yet they continue to churn out “new & improved” versions, when all they have done is just tweaked the molecules, and then marketed exactly the same drug under a different name.

I would dearly love to ask these people whether they give this to their own families, but we already know their reaction to that question, they would not answer …………….. their silence would be deafening .

2. Stephanie September 4, 2013 at 1:22 am Reply

You quoted someone who asked, “Does anyone know of floxing via the ear drop forms of quinolone antibiotics?”

Yes, I know someone very well- me.

And it did not even cure the ear infection- because it was NOT an ear infection! A week later when I was worse, I was finally able to get another appointment with a different doctor at the clinic. That doctor ordered a CT scan which confirmed that it was actually a sinus infection. And the doctor’s notes from when the Ciprodex was prescribed said, “possible ear infection”- so it was known that it might not even be an ear infection! And it was NOT an ear infection!

Because I trusted a doctor, my health and my body was permanently damaged with a drug given for a condition that I did NOT even have! And several years later, I still have not been able to recover from most of the damage. In fact, some of the damage continues to get even worse.

And I am an adult, so it is terrifying to imagine what it would do to a small child’s body!

3. Donna Schutz September 26, 2013 at 4:12 am Reply

i was given Cipro ear drops in 2000 and 2001 , 2 mths after i was sent to a Rheumatologist and diagnosed with Fibromaylgia . ever since ive had many of the floxed symptoms . still today 13 yrs later i deal with chronic fatigue, muscle weakness , restless legs, popping joints, have damaged nerves and tendons ,arthritis, insomnia and mild tinnitus . im sure ive missed some as ive lived with it all not knowing the association to FQs till my fiance got severely floxed after taking Levaquin in Jan this yr .i am also an adult and hate to imagine what these are doing to children !.

4. Steve Johnson February 20, 2014 at 11:50 pm Reply

I too got floxed by Ciprodex. Seems obvious to me as well now after reading about it , that the combination of cipro + steroid is likely to cause problems. Why don’t they put a warning on ciprodex, like for the oral cipro ?

I am still dealing with symptoms after months. Tendon, muscle pain/weakness , TMJ … , Not sure if/when/how much they will resolve . I have not been able to find much literature on floxing by ear drops. I would appreciate if any of the others who have been floxed by ciprodex can contact me at sjnebula@yahoo.com . Would like to compare notes on symptoms and what has helped.

5. Lisa Bloomquist March 12, 2014 at 2:46 pm Reply

Here is a story about a girl who was floxed by Ciprodex – http://inrarecompany.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-scary-monster-has-appeared.html

6. Tobias Wesley July 13, 2014 at 8:32 pm Reply

You have just made me, a 10-year-old boy, cry, due to this article about Ciprodex. I myself take Ciprodex to treat my middle ear infection. You have made me scared due to you saying it’s poison. Not cool.

• Lisa Bloomquist July 13, 2014 at 9:05 pm Reply

Hugs to you, Tobias. I’m so sorry for upsetting you! I don’t want to make you cry. I want to warn you, and your parents, and other kids like you who suffer from ear infections, about the dangers of these drugs. They can hurt you – severely. Are there any other alternative antibiotics that can take care of your infections? I know that infections need to be treated. But please, please, know that fluoroquinolone drugs are too dangerous to be taken when there are alternative drugs available. And they are too dangerous for children to take.

I hope that you are below your tolerance threshold for ciprodex and that it doesn’t negatively affect you. In order to stay below your tolerance threshold, I highly recommend that you stop taking the ciprodex and take something else. It’s something to talk to your parents and doctors about.

It’s very important for you to get the nutrients that you need to make up for the nutrients that can be leached from your cells by ciprodex. Eat your veggies. Garlic has lots of good stuff in it. So does broccoli. Chocolate has magnesium in it and magnesium is a good thing to supplement after being exposed to cipro.

You’re going to be fine. I’m sorry for scaring you. It’s probably best to talk to your parents and doctors about getting another kind of antibiotic.

7. Corinna August 19, 2014 at 3:58 pm Reply

Eyedrops brought me to my knees.

8. […] and traveler’s diarrhea. The FDA allows fluoroquinolone chemo drugs to be given to KIDS (ciprodex ear drops are approved for children as young as 6 months […]

9. Mia December 29, 2014 at 11:23 pm Reply

On top of all you’ve pointed out, what happens when an infant/todddler recently on Ciprodex for an ear infection receives a bunch of vaccines?

10. Dana April 28, 2015 at 12:31 pm Reply

Thank you for such valuable info.
    I just returned my 5 year olds Rx of Ciprodex otic. I just didn’t have a good feeling about these eardrops and started some research on google. I know my son has a acute ear infection with drainage but the oral amoxiciilian seems to be helping. After reading this I told the pharmacist that there was No
    Way I was giving Ciprodex to my son. She said we don’t usually do refunds but gave me one.

• Lisa Bloomquist April 28, 2015 at 1:09 pm Reply

I have shivers – thank you! I’m so glad that you looked into these drugs before giving them to your kiddo! It’s horrible that we can’t trust the drugs that we are given to be the safest drugs available, but, alas, that’s how the world is. I’m really glad that the information on this site can help to save your son from going through what others who have suffered from fluoroquinolone toxicity have experienced!

My chiropractor says that he can get ear infections to drain through adjustments. Maybe chiropractic care can be something in your arsenal along with the amoxicillin.

Thank you again for the note!

11. Karla May 17, 2015 at 10:55 pm Reply

Last summer, I had some ear irritation (not infection) from swimming. After cleaning out my ears, the nurse practitioner prescribed cipro ear drops and very clearly said to use it in both ears to clear up the irritation. Ever since, my left ear has been effected…and that wasn’t even the irritated ear. Since then, I have had fluid in the inner ear, pain in my neck and the back of my head, sinus and jaw discomfort and pressure, “reactive” lymph nodes, a visit to the ER for vertigo, and I can barely get anything out when I blow my nose. The only explanation I have had from my GP, the nurse practitioner (who prescribed it), and two ENT’s, is that it’s Eustachian Tube blockage due to allergies. I KNOW it was from the cipro drops, and my allergist even believes I had an adverse reaction to them. The nurse who prescribed them even told me that I was bordering hypochondria and said that the stabbing headaches were nothing more than tension headaches and that I would probably be dealing with the Eustachian tube dysfunction for the rest of my life because of my allergies. I never had any problems like this until I took those drops….I regret that I ever did. They have all told me it will settle down and in the beginning, they said 4-6 weeks to clear up. It will be a year in July. I can’t get any relief. I’m glad to see this article, warning others of the use of this horrible drug!

12. Hélène August 11, 2015 at 5:06 pm Reply

is there anything else besides Mg that i should look at taking to combat the needed ciprodex (other antibios didnt work)? im sure theres other things to load up on besides garlic and magnesium. anything else combat the possible floxing? i ll never use nsaids now and stick with acetominophen wen needed. im looking at this for my daughter, whos still growing. im hoping her youth’s resiliency will be stronger than the possible injury to a growing body. she shows no signs of ill effects still, a month after finishing the Rx. praying to God, she can combat itbut want to support her body in any way i can.
    THANX!!

• Lisa Bloomquist August 11, 2015 at 7:35 pm Reply

Hi Helene,

Fluoroquinolones have been shown to deplete minerals – especially magnesium and iron – from cells. It is probably a good idea to get her magnesium and iron levels checked. Or, I think that most children’s multivitamins would have both in them, so you can just jump toward supplementing with a multivitamin, if that suits both of you.

Even though it was the drops that she used, a good probiotic supplement, or eating lots of probiotic rich foods, is probably a good idea too.

The drops are a low dose. She does have her youth and resilience on her side. Since she isn’t showing any ill effects at this time, she’s probably okay. She has a vigilant mom too, and that’s definitely helpful. 🙂

• Hélène August 11, 2015 at 9:04 pm Reply

recently put her on a probiotic and she eats dulse, kelp and a quality salt for trace minerals besides Na and Mg, even K somewhat but i ll up her nuts and seeds for the Mg too. i ll get her ferritin checked.
        i just wish there would have been something to use on her ear…
        SIGH

• paul November 4, 2015 at 2:47 pm Reply

This drug has worked wonders for me my entire life. I repeat….my ENTIRE life I have been suffering from chronic ear infections. The ONLY otic solution that worked was Ciprodex.

• Lisa Bloomquist November 4, 2015 at 4:17 pm

That’s lovely for you, Paul. It just about killed me. Perhaps there are genetic differences that make one man’s poison is another man’s cure. And perhaps, until those genetic differences are known and tested for, drugs with potentially severe side-effects shouldn’t be given out like candy to kids. They shouldn’t be given out to kids at all. There is no point in RISKING ruining a child’s life when there are safer alternatives available.

BTW, I removed your ad hominem attack. It was rude.

• Sherry Reiver November 6, 2015 at 2:15 pm

YOU are the idiot because these drugs are dangerous and perhaps one day you will find yourself in the same position as I am in today. All forms of these drugs are harmful. Nobody gets away unscathed so watch out for various symptoms. Good luck.

13. Jan September 17, 2015 at 2:23 pm Reply

Thank you Lisa for bringing this to public awareness. Drug companies rarely if ever fully disclose the adverse reactions and side effects their drugs cause. They hide them with statistics massaged however they want them to look. Not only do they downplay or omit negative data, they falsely pump up the supposed benefits and indications. “Off label” use is promoted to doctors who don’t do their own research. Black Box Warnings are added in “stronger and stronger” language as though that relives the company of liability because “well, you were warned”! The FDA, is woefully negligent on holding drug companies accountable so when they actually do slap the drug company’s hand every once in a while – you should pay attention. Here is a warning letter from 2007. Don’t expect anything helpful to have come from this. Usually, they only change a few words here and there, but the dangers don’t change. Every drug has side effects. However, some are far worse than others. Do your own research and don’t be afraid to tell the doctor you want a substitute. Let the doc have to make the case as to why they prescribed what they did. You have the final say. It is your body. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/…/ucm054271.pdf
    If the link doesn’t work, search FDA warning Ciprodex 2007

14. Sherry September 29, 2015 at 8:00 am Reply

Lisa we need to let the world know that it really harms kids and adults AND that there are other ear and eye drops under different names such as Floxin which was put in my head during a surgery. Thanks for another great article!!! I appreciate it.

15. Christina November 14, 2015 at 6:29 pm Reply

I have had chronic ear infections my whole life. At 30 I have made 15 sets of tubes including as an adult, my ent would tell you I need them now. I have had two infections over the last 9 months one in each ear. In both cases I did not respond to the first round of augmentin(I never do, but they always try). The first infection I was then given ciprodex drops, which I have taken many times. It seemed to have worked. Now here we are and I have had an infection in the other ear now for two months. Augmentin failed, first round of ciprodex drops caused massive migraines. It was stopped and I was put on what I was told was the pill version. This failed as well. Took a week off from antibiotics as suggested by er and now am back on ciprodex drops as well as levaquin. I have a cat scan scheduled for next week to look for cholesteatoma. He also has concerns about my other ear having in his words “not quite healed.” After reading this I am SERIOUSLY concerned about what I have been put on. What should I watch for as far as symptoms of a reaction??

• Sherry Reiver November 15, 2015 at 10:08 am Reply

Please send your adverse reaction report to Medwatch as I too was harmed by the ear solution. Doctors do not recognize that topicals are just as damaging and very few reports are sent in to Medwatch so they can add the topicals to the list of problem drugs. I was at the FDA meeting and spoke about this. The person in charge told me to have everyone I know that had ADRs to please report them. You can either do it online or print out the form. Sorry you were harmed. Feel better.

• Lisa Bloomquist November 15, 2015 at 1:40 pm Reply

Hi Christina,

I’m so sorry for your predicament! As far as things to look out for, here is a list of warning signs of FQ toxicity – https://floxiehope.com/2013/07/10/warning-signs-of-fluoroquinolone-toxicity/. I would add to it – anxiety and insomnia are signs of fluoroquinolone toxicity. Migraines aren’t a good sign. I would interpret them as an adverse reaction and avoid FQs from now on. Here’s a post on that topic – https://floxiehope.com/2015/09/22/the-next-time-will-be-worse-cross-reactivity-of-fluoroquinolones/.

I have no idea how effective they would be for ear infections, but people seem to do well with cephalosporins, z-packs and doxycycline after getting “floxed.”

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if you need anything.

16. Rural FP February 21, 2016 at 7:45 pm Reply

Then what is your solution when a child has frequent ear infection and ear tubes in? Cipro ear drops are the ONLY ear drop that has been approved for perforated ear drum. You are like criticizing HIV drugs for side-effects while there are no other options for such patients. Please give me your alternative to the ear drops in the children who has ear infection and ear tubes.

• Lisa Bloomquist February 22, 2016 at 8:13 am Reply

I’m so sorry for the pain your kiddo is going through! Chronic ear infections are horrible for everyone involved.

What did people do before fluoroquinolone ear drops were used? Kids had ear infections, and tubes in their ears, prior to the 1990s. There must have been some other antibiotics that were used then. I apologize for not knowing what they are. Adults who have needed antibiotics after having an adverse reaction to a fluoroquinolone have responded well to cephalosporins, penicillin and amoxicillin, Z-packs and tetracyclines. Are any of those an option?

I also believe that alternative and herbal therapies should be on the continuum of care for all people regarding all infections. Can a chiropractic adjustment help your kiddo’s ears to drain? How about colloidal silver, oregano oil, garlic oil, or any of the other herbal antibiotics?

If you truly are up against a wall and you have to choose between hearing loss and cipro ear drops, it’s understandable and reasonable to choose the cipro drops. Just know that the side-effects from these drugs can be severe and life-altering.

17. Florence June 25, 2016 at 10:34 am Reply

I’m so glad you are putting out these important warnings. When will we learn that our bodies are delicate systems and WE know what is best for our bodies, much better than hack doctors and so-called care givers. They are modern day merchants of death. I have what was called by two doctors a very serious medical condition that needed immediate treatment…..but I’m not buying what they are selling, I will not give the money hungry pharmaceutical industry any of my money!!! Why do we think that so many of our species are disappearing….our globe is warming….and so many people are buying into extreme ideologies…if you think it is a coincidence that all these events are occuring at the zenith of big pharma power, you need to WAKE UP while you still can!

Again, thank you so much for ALL that you do to bring awareness to the masses…some kids may be scared, but it’s time to get real and RISE UP!!!!!!

I am still holding out hope for Bernie, but wish he were as concerned about KILLING the destructive pharmaceutical industry rather than just saving is some money to buy their poisons!

18. Brittany August 30, 2016 at 9:15 pm Reply

Hello I am very concerned now after reading about this drug, and I have a few questions I’m hoping you could answer. Currently I am breast feeding my daughter who will be a month old on Friday. My ENT prescribed Ciprodex to me yesterday. He put it in my ear to help with inflammation and to make sure that I do not get an infection in that ear (I have tubes in my ears, they have been in there for 3 years now) he said that the drug would help keep the tube open and working as well. I didn’t even know he was going to put the drop in my ear until after he did. Once he did I told him I was breastfeeding and asked if it was safe. He assured me that it was perfectly safe and to do 4 drops in my ear twice a day. I did 4 drops this morning and then just did my third dose (including the one he did in office yesterday) I was Leary on taking them while nursing but I read a lot about them and called my daughters pediatrician as well and heard nothing bad about the drug. For some reason I still had a bad feeling about it and kept researching it, which is when I came across your page. (Wish I would’ve sooner) anyway, I’m wondering..do you think these three doses can have an effect on me? And do you think the drug has gotten to my daughter while I’m nursing her? (I’m thinking about not nursing her and bottle feeding her some breast milk that I have stored until the drug is for sure out of my system. Also do you know how long until it’s totally out of your system? I’m very nervous now but thankful that I came across your page. I knew God was making me feel Leary of the drug for a reason.

19. Anna August 31, 2016 at 1:21 am Reply

Brittany, i got floxed by 2 doses of cipro ear drops. And it did not clear the infection. Also My healthy ear got affected too and i did not even use it in that ear. I ended up healing the infection by holistic medicine. I advise you to do this too.

20. Anna August 31, 2016 at 1:28 am Reply

As for the half life of it, i am not sure, but i woukd think it is out of your system in a few days. these drugs get out of the system , but their effect lasts on the person who took them. I would have thought that having it passed to your daughter in breast milk should not be a problem as it is similar to how healthy (unfloxed) people eat fluoroquinolone fed meat and dont get affected. I call it passive floxing which is much much weaker than direct floxing.

• Brittany August 31, 2016 at 4:34 am Reply

Thanks so much for the reply! I appreciate it. I’m very freaked out about it and praying like crazy that they have no effect on me. I was wondering how long it takes to get out of the system though because that’s when I would feel more comfortable continuing to nurse. When you were floxed what were your symptoms if you don’t mind me asking?

21. Anna August 31, 2016 at 5:09 am Reply

I was floxed 7 months ago.The immediate symptoms were extreme anxiety, stabbing pain deep in my ear , locked jaw and tmj, severe loss of balance/ vertigo and horrible tinnitus. The ear pain, locked jaw and tmj got better within couple of weeks.
    The morning anxiety and vertigo are getting better gradually, but still there. Then, in the following weeks/ months, i started having ear fullness/ blicked ears sensation in both ears, tinnitus in the healthy ear , achilles pain, wrists and fingers pain, hyperosmia with constant coughing when i try to speak. Don’t be alarmed by my symptoms though. You could be one of the lucky ones who will not have adverse reactions. Your baby will be fine as well. Remember always that the concentration of the cipro in the ear drops is just 100 MICROgrams in each drop, so you just took 1.2 mg in total vs the people who take the pills which are 250 mg at the lowest dosage per pill. This low dose of 1.2 mg should not affect your baby and you can get away with it as well. Take care and all the best!

• Brittany August 31, 2016 at 5:25 am Reply

Wow I’m sorry to hear that, but I appreciate your willingness to help others and share your story. Trying to stay positive about it and hope it won’t effect me but i do have to think that if it effected you and you took only two doses it could definitely effect me with three. But thank you for the reassurance. It helps to hear that, I am very upset that my ENT would give this drug to me. I can’t believe this is even legal. What makes me even more upset is the fact that I went to the doctor just because it was over two years since I went and thought I should see if my tubes are still in my ears because usually they fall out between 6 months and a year. I felt perfectly fine though on Monday befre i went in. No pain or anything but after he dug in my ear and then put the drops in, I have ear pain and now throat pain on that side. Very irritated cause I was perfectly fine before!

22. Anna August 31, 2016 at 5:46 am Reply

I know exactly how you feel. Every one here on floxiehope has the same feelings and regrets, but dont be too hard on yourself. We trusted our doctors to know better only to regret it afterwards. It is not our fault! Time will heal, but patience is what we need now. I took the two doses with only few hours apart, so may that is why i got affected badly, but i am assuming u took them 12 hours apart, so u may still be ok. What helped / helps me with the pain and the deep sense of itchiness in my ears is applying almond oil or olive oil (pure pharmacy grade) in my ear using my pinky , just a small amount like when applying face creme..it acts like a lubricant to the ear if u can call it this way 🙂 it soothes the pain and then i sleep with cotton balls in my ears. The warmth makes the ears feel better next morning. Not sure if you can do it all since u have tubes, but this is what i have been doing and i feel it helps. We are here to help each other, so feel free to ask and keep us updated of your progress.

• Brittany August 31, 2016 at 7:08 am Reply

It’s sad to think that the doctors just keep prescribing these meds though. So thankful that I came across floxiehope! But yes you’re right I waited a while between the doses, between the first and 2nd I waited 15 hrs and the 2nd and 3rd I waited 16 hrs. Not even intentionally I just got busy and am thankful for that now lol thank you so much though, I will definitely try the oil! And I will update as well.

• Brittany September 1, 2016 at 7:47 am Reply

So last night when I was up with my daughter I felt super dizzy and I couldn’t walk straight. This morning I’m incredibly dizzy. I don’t want to even lift my daughter just incase I fall. Not sure if it’s a reaction to the Ciprodex or what. I don’t get vertigo so i don’t know if this is what that feels like but after looking vertigo up it seems like that’s what I have. It’s like I can’t stand up straight even. So far that’s my only issue, I have a slight head ache and yesterday I had diarrhea. Praying this is just coincidence or something!

23. Anna September 1, 2016 at 1:02 pm Reply

Vertigo is a form od dizziness that feels like the room is spinning around you. There is the low pressure dizziness that feels like you are fainting and there is the balance related dizziness which feels like you cant walk straight and have to hold the walls or like you are in a rocking boat. I had/ have the last one and I am suspecting it could well be what you are currently experiencing. But it could be from lack of sleep as well since you have a little baby. Get a lot of rest and try to find a position that makes you feel less dizzy. For me it was sitting down , not laying down. The supine position was the worst for me as i felt like i was like an occordion and someone was compressing it from my head down.

• Brittany September 1, 2016 at 7:41 pm Reply

Yes it’s most definitely the balance related dizziness. You’re also correct I haven’t had much sleep lately. Hoping it goes away soon. I don’t know how you go on like this with vertigo and all, it’s miserable. Thanks again for your input though.

24. Anna September 2, 2016 at 6:58 am Reply

Fingers crossed it will be sleep related. Yes, it is miserable, but somehow we have to cope. it does get better with time though. Are you taking any supplements? Feel free to ask any questions:)

• Brittany September 2, 2016 at 9:43 am Reply

Im still taking my prenatals, and actually extra iron supplements too because I have really low iron anyway. which I know can be another reason why I’ve been dizzy. But yes I am keeping my fingers crossed!

• Anna September 5, 2016 at 11:23 am Reply

How are you Brittany? Hope you are doing much better and getting some sleep. Hope baby is doing well too.

• Brittany September 5, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Doing better! We both are I guess you could say. Still have major head aches but no more vertigo 👍🏼 thinking its sleep related. Thanks for asking 😊

25. Anna September 5, 2016 at 12:34 pm Reply

Great👍 So happy to hear that.😍

26. Anna September 5, 2016 at 12:36 pm Reply

Not happy about the headaches though 😀

27. Tom Dougherty October 14, 2016 at 4:16 am Reply

My 6 year old went into precoutious puberty after taking these Cirpo ear drops prescribed to her for her swimmers year.

• Lisa October 14, 2016 at 3:46 pm Reply

I’m so sorry to hear that, Tom! There are many patient reports of hormones being thrown out of whack by fluoroquinolones. Unfortunately, journal articles connecting FQs to hormonal dysregulation seem to be difficult to come by. So, getting acknowledgement of the connection between the ciprodex ear drops and your daughter’s precocious puberty will probably be difficult to come by. There is a lot of wonderful information about the connections between fluoroquinolones and thyroid hormones on http://www.fluoroquinolonethyroid.com.

Please be cautious with treatments of her precocious puberty. Lupron can be a nasty drug as well. Here are some articles about it – https://www.hormonesmatter.com/search/lupron.

• Hélène October 14, 2016 at 4:08 pm Reply

My 8yo daughter used the cipro eardrops. Now at 9 she is entering puberty also. Bingo! Ive been attributing it to hormones in COFA meat and dairy but her 11yo sister just entered about 6-8 mos ago. Thank you for posting this, Tom.

• the judge January 31, 2017 at 12:59 pm Reply

This makes no sense. Cipro does not cause precocious liberty, it’s not a hormonal drug.

28. MS December 10, 2016 at 1:29 am Reply

I have to wonder if the person who wrote this article is also the author of many of these reviews.

29. Debs February 22, 2017 at 11:33 am Reply

You are wrong MS.

The topical versions of fluoroquinolone are dangerous, just as dangerous as the other routes of administration of FQs, & they can cause exactly the same damage.

The fluoroquinolone antibiotics are Topoisomerase inhibitors, if you look this up you will find that every other drug described as such IS chemotherapy the FQs are in fact failed chemo drugs, MASQUARADING as ‘ antibiotics ‘ . Not a good idea imho to prescribe a topical FQ to a child or an adult for that matter with ear / eye infections, in fact a FQ of ANY sort in ANY situation, unless it is as a LAST resort drug, in a situation where all other suitable antibiotics have been tried, all have failed & you will literally die without them .. because believe me they ARE that dangerous.

Some people, the same situation as can occur with any drug, they can have serious immediate allergic reactions to the FQs , for these people alternatives to the FQs MUST be found in the future, & for the people concerned, Drs DO invariably find them if they have no choice but to do so .
    So next time you are told that a FQ ear/eye drop is the ONLY antibiotic option available to treat a child’s eye / ear infection / associated issues. it might just be wise to ask what they use INSTEAD for these people, for those who are severely allergic to FQs, for those who they HAVE to accept must NEVER be prescribed them again, I would suggest to also ask them, what they USED to prescribe for these sort of issues for our precious children before the FQs were invented.

30. Crystal April 28, 2017 at 5:28 pm Reply

I just got diagnosed with an outer ear infection and was prescribed Ciprodex drops. I took one dose, but didn’t feel comfortable with it while nursing even though I was told it was safe. My husband was “floxed” recently, so I’m pretty leery of the stuff. So I stopped the drops and have been trying some home remedies. Do any of you know what to do for an outer ear infection other than Ciprodex?

• Lisa April 28, 2017 at 8:01 pm Reply

Hi Crystal,

Have you inquired about neomycin? I’m not sure whether or not it is appropriate/effective in your situation, but it is an alternative ear drop to cipro ear drops.

• Crystal April 29, 2017 at 11:53 am Reply

I might be trying colloidal silver and see how it goes. The tendon in my wrist started hurting after the first dose of Ciprodex, is it possible it’s from the drops that soon?

31. A Green Road Daily News June 20, 2017 at 3:58 am Reply

Reblogged this on AGR Daily News Service.

32. Julie hanson June 20, 2017 at 3:34 pm Reply

I have a 19 year old son that has been completely destroyed by these medicationsperiod by age 8 I was having to wake him an hour earlier just to be able to get moving well enough to get ready for school. Now I’m 19 he is in so much pain in his legs and his feet that he can’t walk but 40 feet without having to stop and restperiod he’s been to every specialist in the state in the last 10 years and nobody had a clue what was wrong with him everything from severe depression to Major stomach issues all the pain in every joint in his body. They never even considered neuropathy so they even put titanium implants in his feet thinking it might be a bone problem problem. He wants a shot job so bad I can’t stand it so I watch him walk and he’ll walk longer each day thinking he can build up to where it doesn’t hurt so bad and every day I see him come up the driveway with tears streaming down his face. But do you think I can find a doctor that will even consider what I’m telling himquestion mark I’ve had a standing prescription for these drops his entire life didn’t need a prescription just went and picked up more. His tubes that drain into his throat or closed so he had a lot of ear infections because his sister is allergic to penicillin they gave him this as a precaution period Then in 2010 today pills of levaquin put me on life support then I went septic and went through septic shock. Nobody ever told me any of that they just said I had pneumonia. Can three years later and I can barely walk I end up at the Mayo Clinic and that’s when I find out about these medications I pulled his records and in the last seven years they’ve given it to him orally 24 x. His ears were much worse from 3 to 10 then they were from 10 to 17 so there’s no telling how many times he’s had it. Yet not one doctor nor one pharmacist ever gave me any indication that there could be extra dangerous with this medication and this poor kid doesn’t have a chance to have a normal life. What I wouldn’t give to give my get my hands on those people. So not only is he completely destroy I am beyond destroyed and my brother who happ never got better either in fact he passed about a month-and-a-half ago. After we both got out of the hospital we both have the same symptoms to a tee 4 years the severe pain in our legs and all of our joints the weakness throughout our whole bodiesperiod before we got sick we ran a welding company together we were strong active healthy adults. Well my brother is urologist didn’t believe that this at a buttock be a problem and kept prescribing it to him and sure as hell every time my brother would end up in the hospital the next week 3 times with meningitis and about 6 times to where he was acting completely drunk out of his mind but he doesn’t drink. His brain got less and less every time he was discharged. It finally got to the point that he was put in a home about 10 months ago period he was 50 years old. Well a month-and-a-half ago he just died in his sleep. He had asked to be donated so that they can study the effects of these Madison’s on his body but because of the meningitis 3 times no hospitals would take him. And because he was on Medicaid they wouldn’t even do an autopsy. This is disgusting what they are doing to people and I don’t know how much there is to it but we did all carry the defective MTHFR Gene gene.