Legal Compensation for Fluoroquinolone Toxicity

Law Picture

I was floxed in the last months of 2011.  (I took the Cipro in November but didn’t react until December so my flox-iversary is debatable.)  For most of the time that I have been a “Floxie” the general word among fellow Floxies was that lawyers weren’t accepting fluoroquinolone toxicity cases.  It was only after the August, 2013 adjustment to the FDA warning label accompanying fluoroquinolones, that added the warning of permanent peripheral neuropathy, that I even heard of lawyers accepting fluoroquinolone toxicity cases.  Now there are at least 2 law firms that are taking fluoroquinolone toxicity cases.  I appreciate them both so I’m going to plug them:

Red Law, LLP

(310) 917-1070

and

Nidel Law

(202) 558-2030

There are a million personal reasons why you may or may not want to pursue legal recourse and I respect all of them.  It’s a very personal decision and I am not trying to pressure you in any way.  I do want to make sure that you know that the option is available though.  Both of the firms listed above are taking cases.

I have no reason to think that either firm is better than the other.  I have been in contact with both the Red Law attorneys and Chris Nidel, the principal at Nidel Law.  They all seem competent and professional.

Legal pursuits are probably the only way that the system is going to change; that people are going to stop being needlessly poisoned by fluoroquinolone antibiotics.  It’s not your responsibility to be part of the change in the world that keeps others from getting hurt, but it may be some consolation as you go through the pain of a lawsuit.

I could complain ad nauseam about how the legal system isn’t set up to compensate victims of fluoroquinolone toxicity, but I’ll refrain because it’s pointless.  We have to start with where we are, with the system as it is.  I wish you all the best of luck in getting your cases accepted, getting the compensation that you deserve, and changing the world for the better.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “Legal Compensation for Fluoroquinolone Toxicity

1. Jeremy October 28, 2013 at 2:10 pm Reply

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS INFO. I HAVE BEEN MAKING CALLS AND NOT GETTING SUPER FAR.

• Lisa Bloomquist October 28, 2013 at 2:31 pm Reply

You’re very welcome! I hope that they are able to help you!

2. Sapphire October 29, 2013 at 1:43 am Reply

Lisa ,so glad you posted this info. YES, it is possible for compensation ! In Oct ,last year, almost 900 lawsuits were victorious!

• Jeremy October 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm Reply

Sapphire, let me know if you know anyone taking new cases. I have not had a ton of luck so far, see below.

3. Debra A October 29, 2013 at 4:53 pm Reply

Doesn’t help if your state statue of limitations is only two years and it took too long to figure it out because no Dr. gets it. How do you prove anything was because of Levaquin?

• Lisa Bloomquist October 29, 2013 at 4:58 pm Reply

The answers to your questions fall under the category of “I could complain ad nauseam about how the legal system isn’t set up to compensate victims of fluoroquinolone toxicity.” It’s all so stupid. Anyhow, it’s still worth a try – IMO.

4. Lisa Bloomquist October 29, 2013 at 7:11 pm Reply
  5. Jeremy October 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm Reply

PS I know you have no affiliation with either company but I did try getting in touch with both, one sent me to voice mail where the message was he is out of town Sept 19-27 (over a month ago) and the second didn’t return the request email. Just saying the lawyers seems to be nearly as bad as the doctors!

6. Ester Schulkin November 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm Reply

Anyone know of lawyers know of lawyers taking CNS cases as well as peripherial neuropathy?

• Lisa Bloomquist November 3, 2013 at 9:28 am Reply

I don’t know of anyone specifically. It’s worth a try to call the attorneys listed above to see if they can help you. The legal system generally is woefully unequipped for dealing with fluoroquinolone cases for multiple reasons. CNS damage is so hard to prove that it has all of the factors that keep FQ cases from being recognized stacked against it, plus some. I wish I had better advice for you. Track all of your CNS symptoms as best you can and try to make a case so that when you do get a lawyer to take it, you’ll be set. That’s all I have for you for now.

7. Sapphire November 4, 2013 at 11:52 pm Reply

Jeremy, while there is a statute of limitations…that date is not set in stone,as we are led to believe! The damage may have started 10 years ago after taking Cipro,Avelox,etc. However ,the statute of limitations doesn’t necessarily start then. Statute often starts when the claimant became AWARE that damages occurred because of the treatment,medications,or poisoning. This lends much flexibility to when statute of limitation actually becomes significant. Example: date of MRI showing torn tendon..April 15,2011. However, the dots were not connected as FQ induced damage until a year or two later. The date when cause was acknowledged/known, is when statue of limitations starts. A Personal Injury Law Firm will know this.

• Jenn February 7, 2014 at 8:43 am Reply

Where did you find out this information? We have been told differently:(

8. Sapphire November 5, 2013 at 12:04 am Reply

I want to commend ‘Floxie Hope’. Author is thorough and does the homework! Information is current and necessary. THANK YOU for your diligence, commitment,and compassion! L, Kuddos to you!

• Lisa Bloomquist November 5, 2013 at 8:14 am Reply

Thank you very much! That’s very kind of you! Thank you for the information about the statute of limitations as well! Your input is greatly appreciated!

9. Ester schulkin November 26, 2013 at 7:13 pm Reply

When I contacted redlaw I was told that since my prescription was a generic they were not taking my case-seems generics companies are not liable?hard to believe since the effect and damage is the same or could it be that their “pockets are not that big and the lawyers are looking for bigger payments for themselves

• Lisa Bloomquist November 26, 2013 at 10:39 pm Reply

HI Ester, I’m really sorry that they’re not able to take your case! That sucks, to say the least! People generally assume that the Justice system is keeping the medical system in check and that victims of medical malfeasance can gain compensation through the legal system, but they’re wrong. It’s difficult, if not impossible, to get justice when a pharmaceutical hurt you. I think that all of us Floxies are with you in a feeling of frustration. An injustice has been done. It should be reversed through the justice system, right? Anyhow, someday I will write a post about how difficult it is to get justice. In the meantime, the Red Law guys, and Chris Nidel, are working as hard as they can to do what they can given the confines of the law as it stands. Unfortunately, just back in June, the Supreme Court ruled that generic drug manufacturers couldn’t be held responsible for their faulty products. Here is a story about the ruling – http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/25/business/justices-rule-generic-makers-not-liable-for-drugs-design.html?_r=0 So, it’s the Supreme Court’s fault that generic drugs aren’t included in the suit, not RedLaw’s. 😦

10. Richard April 13, 2017 at 1:47 am Reply

I have taken 10,000. 500mg pills of Cipro over 25 years. Oh joy.