A Return to Hope

CS Lewis

I’ve been doing a lot of research into the mechanisms of action for fluoroquinolones lately.  I’ve been passing what I’ve learned on Floxie Hope.  Unfortunately, much of what I’ve learned hasn’t fallen into the “hopeful” category.  Most of what I’ve learned has been pretty grim.  Fluroquinolones deplete DNA, damage mitochondria, stimulate lymphocytes (immune system cells) deplete irreplaceable enzymes and produce neurotoxins.  Bummer, huh?

In a weird, twisted way, I get excited about these discoveries.  They’re the nails that are going to seal the coffin on these drugs, and maybe even Bayer and Johnson & Johnson.  I imagine these facts bursting into common consciousness with an expose in Time, Scientific American or The New Yorker.  I get excited about being right, about being at the forefront of this problem, about being able to tell people, “I told you so” when they realize that quinolone toxicity is a huge problem that is adversely affecting the lives of millions of people.  Irrefutably showing the danger of these drugs is key to getting their use curbed, to stopping the atrocity of people being maimed by prescription antibiotics.  It’s also the key to justice – once the damage pathway for these drugs is shown, those who have been hurt by them can get compensated for their pain and suffering.

My ego gets wrapped up in fantasies of taking down Bayer and J&J.  I have grandiose notions of saving the world from these nasty, evil drugs that are maiming and killing innocent people.  I want people to connect the dots, to see what I see; that fluoroquinolone toxicity is connected with all autoimmune diseases, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Allergies, Dietary Intolerances, Depression and Anxiety, Insomnia, Gulf War Syndrome and even Autism Spectrum Disorders.  I want to be validated by recognition.  I want the world to change.

In wanting validation and change in the world, I have lost track of the purpose of this blog.  The purpose of this blog is not to save the world.  It is not to bring down Bayer or Johnson & Johnson.  It is not to be right.  The purpose of this blog is to give hope for healing to those adversely affected by fluoroquinolone antibiotics.  It is FloxieHOPE.com, not FloxiesDestroyBayer.com.

I apologize for scaring you guys.  I apologize for pointing out the cellular damage that these drugs inflict.  I don’t think that the damage done is irreparable.  I think that most people heal from Fluoroquinolone Toxicity.  I think that most people move on to live full, happy, healthy lives.  I think that DNA is constantly patching and repairing itself.  I think that the body is constantly fighting to neutralize toxins and that even if our enzymes aren’t replaceable, we have enough of them to function or else we’d be dead.  I think that there is hope.  I think that there is healing.

That is why I created this web site.  To let people know that healing is possible.  To tell stories of healing so that those who are scared can realize that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, that they should have hope because this too shall pass.

So I’m sorry for highlighting scary information.  I’m sorry that the focus of many of these posts has been freak-out material, not hopeful, healing material.  I really want you all to be hopeful.  I want you to heal and hope is healing.  It is, I promise.

I can’t promise to be 100% hopeful 100% of the time.  I think that bringing research about the adverse effects of these drugs to the fore is important.  I think that it’s important to try to change the world and to try to stop these drugs from being prescribed inappropriately.  I’ll just promise to try to remember that this site is about supporting people through a difficult time, letting them know that things do get better with time and letting them know that hope is necessary and that healing is possible.

I’m not a Scientist.  I’m not a Chemist or a Toxicologist or a Geneticist.  I’m actually quite annoyed that people with these titles aren’t putting together the implications of these various studies and shouting about them, and thus there is a void.  I’m trying to fill that void by connecting the dots to the best of my abilities, but analyzing these studies is not my area of expertise.  My area of expertise is healing from FQ toxicity.  It’s my area of expertise because it’s what I have done.  I can personally testify that healing is possible because I have healed.  So have the other people who have shared their stories on FloxieHope.com.  We have been scared, we have been hurt and we have healed.  Healing is possible.  It is possible for you too.  Have hope.

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

15 thoughts on “A Return to Hope

1. DoubleJ December 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm Reply

Hey now, don’t be too sorry. Yes it does stray from the site’s domain name, but I find research to be hope in itself. The fact that people, even non-medical types like you, are researching to the best of their abilites. That’s hope. That someday there will be someone who finds something that works for everyone, or that the drugs get pulled and are only allowed as last-line of defense deals that require some kind of waiver.

Let me say, I love the research you post. Maybe it’s time for a seperate blog at the domain you listed? 🙂

Anyway, thanks for the hope and giving people a place to discuss. I am anti-facebook so your site gives me a home.

• Lisa Bloomquist December 24, 2013 at 9:09 am Reply

Thanks JJ! “Don’t be sorry” seems to be the general consensus. It makes me happy. I swear – I wasn’t digging for compliments – I promise I wasn’t! 🙂

I was pleased with the research post too, but I was worried that it scared some people. I know that it would have scared me when I was in the acute stage. Once I left the acute stage, it was easy to forget how scared I was. I try to be empathetic, understanding and whatnot. Getting floxed is terrifying in itself. But maybe the research gives us power rather than fear, once we digest it. That’s what most people have said, and that’s how I feel about it too. It’s easy to feel empowered by research after you’ve recovered though.

Anyhow… thanks for the excellent comment! I appreciate the compliments and I am really glad that FloxieHope is helpful for you!

2. Scott Rose December 24, 2013 at 12:31 am Reply

I love all your posts! And believe me, I am making it my personal mission to bring down Bayer & Johnson and Johnson after they floxed me. I won’t let them get away with this. As soon as I can walk again, I am going to make a faux-documentary in the style of “This Is Spinal Tap” to show the inner workings of a doctor’s office and their associations with the corrupt pharmaceutical drug companies. I’m going to show the doctors being wined & dined & flown to exotic locations by the pharmaceutical companies (just like they are in real life), I’m going to show the massive sales contests where they give away tons of money to the doctors’ offices who prescribe their drugs the most, I’m going to show the interns who fraudulently create the “safety reports” for the drugs that are put on the market. I’m going to pull all the real-life stuff that was exposed in the book “Bitter Pills”, and put it in a faux-documentary. If you’d like to be involved as a writer/actress/producer, please let me know!

• Lisa Bloomquist December 24, 2013 at 9:15 am Reply

Awesome, Scott! I would love to help with any sort of project like that! Have you contacted Nancy Edwards, the person who made Certain Adverse Events? Here is the link to the Certain Adverse Events page – http://www.certainadverseevents.com/home_page.html Nancy might be a good person to touch base with and see what lessons she learned from making a documentary on Floxing.

Speaking out is really empowering. I expect that your faux-documentary will be awesome! Please let me know if there is anything that you want me to do to help.

3. Brian F December 25, 2013 at 6:31 pm Reply

I appreciate your recent posts. My family is in denial, that my problem is in my head . They read this site, and only hear about the recovery stories , giving an unbalanced view of the reality of FQ poisoning. Please do not apologize. The research of J King helped me immensely to refocus my monies and time and efforts in ways that maximize knowledge versus time. As my body sees deterioration , and I begin to see things in me that others have developed in them over time , documentation on these sites give my perception of matters validation . THIS gives me hope….hope of having a family that will be able to get through the denial and acceptance in time to support me if and when I become disabled or otherwise am impacted adversely by this poison. This is what I currently need the most . A family that understands and gets it .
    My hope overall is one in a coming government that will remove corruption globally and permanently , one under which no resident will say I am sick. But until that day arrives , I struggle to endure like everyone else . You run a good site , empathetic and understanding . Please do not remove any of what you posted to bow to pressure by some to be lighthearted. Hiding facts from those who are ill is a mistaken kindness. Otherwise, how are you any different from those who hide the effects of these drugs so as not to dissuade the “majority from benefitting from them”?
    Thank you Lisa .

• Lisa Bloomquist December 26, 2013 at 3:55 pm Reply

Hi Brian,

I am so sorry for both your pain and for the rejection and lack of understanding from your family! I think that the rejection – from loved ones and from doctors – hurts just as much as the actual Floxing. I’m so, so, so sorry that you don’t get the support that you need right now! I hope that they come around. It’s a really difficult thing to understand. It’s incomprehensible. It’s absurd. How could an ANTIBIOTIC cause a chronic illness?? They don’t “get it.” I hope that they start to try though, because a supportive family can mean the world.

I think that the right approach is difficult for loved ones to find. They don’t want to see you wallow in self-pity or become your illness – and I think that discouraging that is a good and loving thing to do. But, at the same time, some trust and belief in you is more than necessary, it is the right thing to do. I hope that they can be patient and loving with you as you go through this, and that you can be patient and loving with yourself as well.

Did you see these posts on Hormones Matter written by Emily, the wife of a Floxie? Her strength and support for her husband are amazing, and I tear up every time I read her posts. I don’t know if pointing them out helpful or harmful, but maybe your family can take her strength as an example. (Sorry – that seemed really patronizing.) Here are her posts:

Thank you very much for your kind words! I’m glad that FloxieHope helps you and that it strikes the right balance. I’m doing my best. 🙂

• Brian F December 27, 2013 at 6:33 pm Reply

The Hormones Matter article was awesome….my family definitely doesn’t want me to be negative and defeatist….and I can own up to a degree of such…the practical side of me tries to prepare for certain eventualities that cause my family to feel I am giving up on the situation. In reality, I feel I am being forward thinking and responsible. At any rate, thanks again for this site. Keep it up . : )

4. Jeannie January 13, 2014 at 7:41 pm Reply

Thank you for your website. Truth is healing – Do you feel you have to be concerned about other areas of exposure or is there evidence to support this?

• Lisa Bloomquist January 13, 2014 at 8:58 pm Reply

Hi Jeannie,

Truth is definitely healing. As scary as it was to learn about what was going on in my body, it was empowering too.

As for other areas of exposure, I’m not 100% sure what you mean. Here are some thoughts and please let me know if I don’t adequately answer your question. First, it says on every warning label for any kind of fluoroquinolone that one should not take it again if they have ever had an adverse reaction to any other kind of quinolone. Therefore, I will be avoiding all fluoroquinolones in the future. I’m assuming that studies led them to put that on the label, but anecdotally, reactions seem to get worse with every exposure. It also says on the warning labels that fluoroquinolones deplete CYP450 enzymes. These enzymes are necessary to metabolize many drugs (evidence can be found in med journals) and therefore people who have had an adverse reaction to fluoroquinolones may want to be cognizant of their lessened abilities to metabolize some drugs. Specifically, drugs with a carboxylic acid molecule on them, should probably be avoided. If you want to read the articles about this, they can be found on the Links and Resources page of this site and are:

Drug Metabolism and Disposition, “Acyl Glucuronidation of Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics by the UDP-Gulucuronosyltransferase 1A Subfamily in Human Liver Microsomes“

Current Drug Metabolism, “Acyl Glucuronides: Mechanistic Role in Drug Toxicity?“

Molecular Interventions, “Mechanisms of Pathogenesis in Drug Hepatoxicity Putting the Stress on Mitochondria“

Because of the absurdity of our food production system, fluoroquinolones are given to farm animals and they excrete those quinolone molecules into the soil. They then get spread around. Small amounts of fluoroquinolones are probably in our food and water. If you worry about this exposure you will drive yourself insane.

Lots of people avoid fluoride after getting Floxed. I try to avoid it but don’t worry about it too much.

That was a long answer. 🙂 I hope that I actually got to the answer that you were looking for!

5. Amy Regutti February 20, 2015 at 9:10 am Reply

I am so grateful for your blog. Getting floxed is terrifying. But all disease processes that rob you of normalcy are. We all want the same things. It is a difficult balance between healing and activism. They should really be one in the same because they are both empowerment, I love the recovery stories because they do give me hope and validation.

6. rich June 21, 2015 at 12:57 pm Reply

still a legend lisa still a legend 😉

7. Jan Bush June 21, 2015 at 3:20 pm Reply

I’m looking forward to reading your New Yorker article!

8. Rds May 2, 2016 at 11:57 am Reply

God bless you for your time and effort. I hope very soon this information becomes mainstream. Keep up the good work! 💖

9. Erika June 29, 2016 at 11:02 pm Reply

Thank you Lisa! The Floxie Hope web site has been the only one that gave me any kind of hope when my anxiety made me feel like there was none. I am glad that you are fighting for the safety and health of all who are and will be affected by these drugs. Yes, I sense your anger as you are doing this, but you are bringing us information that can help us understand what is going on inside our bodies too. At least I don’t feel as if some alien has invaded my body anymore. I too have, for the moment fully recovered. I also know from your posts that I can expect flare ups. But because of you, I now know that I am not losing my mind when it happens, and I can deal with it a heck of a lot better than if I had not known. So kudos to you. Please keep fighting for us. I do not personally have the strength to do it myself, but you have been given this gift. God bless you!

10. Aidan Walsh October 7, 2016 at 3:44 pm Reply

Nice Post Lisa :)’s I think it is now needed to Post also some links to Lawyers taking on these cases for Lawsuit plus also their contact details even in UK some people mention the Chemo blood tests or skin punch biopsies can you mention what these are in detail Please thanks