Farewell my Friend. May Peace and Love be With You.

Creek

A Floxie friend called me last week to say goodbye. She had received a terminal prognosis from a couple of doctors and she was going into hospice care for her last hours/days/weeks/months on earth. She is in her early 50s. She has been dealing with fluoroquinolone toxicity, and some compounding issues that stemmed from being simultaneously administered Cipro with steroids, for about 13 months. She has become so weak, so poisoned, and so overwhelmed physically by her illness, that she can’t fight back any more. She will not last much longer.

I don’t know what to say. I don’t know what is appropriate in this situation. I wish her peace. I hope that she and her loved ones get the opportunities to say what they need to say to each other. I hope that she feels loved. I hope that she isn’t in pain.

I really, really, really wish that none of the physical and mental deterioration that she has experienced over the last 13 months had happened. There is nothing that is okay about her dying from a fluoroquinolone shutting down her body. It’s tragic. Absolutely tragic.

She was healthy, happy and beautiful 13 months ago.

Now she is going into hospice care.

It is just so, so sad.

I don’t think that anyone ever knows the right thing to say when faced with death. Concentrating on peace, love and coming to terms with the situation seems like the best, and right, thing to do. But, in our conversation, she did mention that she wished that she had the strength to tell her story, to speak out against those who poisoned her, and to warn others about the deadly combination of fluoroquinolones and steroids. She doesn’t have the strength to do so. But I do. She, and all of the other people who are hit hard by fluoroquinolone toxicity, are the reason that I do what I do. I write for them. It’s not about Lisa not being able to dance in heels for a while. It’s about those who lose their health, those who are in chronic pain, those who are too weak to fight back, and those who die as a result of fluoroquinolones. I write to scream about their pain and their losses. There is nothing that is okay about their pain (or my pain, as trivial as it is in comparison). There is nothing that is okay about body-wide shut-down and death being the result of taking an antibiotic.

I also write on Floxie Hope to let people know that their path is not necessarily one of terminal illness. Many people make a full recovery. I hope that everyone reading this recovers. But it would be false and disingenuous to pretend like everyone recovers. Not everyone does. Some people die from fluoroquinolone toxicity. It is tragic and it is wrong.

I hope that this little tribute to my friend brings her some peace and happiness. I acknowledge her struggle, her pain and her sickness. I don’t know what I can do to stop the horrible tragedy of people being hurt, and dying, from fluoroquinolone toxicity. But speaking out is a step. It is something that I am capable of doing and I hope that it helps.

May she be at peace. May she know, really truly know, that she is loved.

Tagged: , , , , , ,

25 thoughts on “Farewell my Friend. May Peace and Love be With You.

1. Jane Allan January 21, 2014 at 10:41 am Reply

This is so terribly sad and is very close to home for me as I took the deadly combination in March 2013, am aged 48 years old and am struggling to recover. I hope I do eventually make a full recovery and am able to write a recovery story one day. Every day is a struggle and some are worse/ better than other days but that underlying widespread pain never really goes away no matter what pain killers you take or what you do. I just take each day as it comes and try not to give up hope.

• Lisa Bloomquist January 21, 2014 at 6:32 pm Reply

(((((HUGS))))))))) I know that it is a struggle, that it is incredibly difficult, and that it’s sometimes difficult to believe, but recovery is possible and I wish it for you, Jane. I hope that tomorrow is better for you, as it is a new day. Try to be hopeful, as it is helpful. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you.

2. Stacey January 21, 2014 at 12:24 pm Reply

So very sad! Prayers for your friend and her family. I will ask you Lisa to be more clear on your story for those people who are new to this, as this is incomprehensible for an antibiotic to create such pain and illness in people,whats happened to your friend should never ever happen. We have a responsability with our words, I urge you to be more specific for the newly floxed. I know if I had been new and read this horribly sad story I would have lost it, I would have panicked to say the least. I am so sorry for your pain and the pain your friend is enduring, and I hope that you are not offended by my words.

• Lisa Bloomquist January 21, 2014 at 6:39 pm Reply

Thank you for your comment, Stacey! I am not offended at all. I hope that people who read this also read the stories of hope and healing that are more the focus of this site. Healing does happen for many, probably most, people who are adversely affected by a fluoroquinolone. I just wish that it happened for everyone. I thoroughly believe that there are more stories of recovery than there are stories of tragedy when it comes to FQ toxicity. I try to be balanced to the best of my ability.

If the above post scared anyone who is reading this comment, please feel free to ask me questions through the “Contact Me” link.

Best,

3. Suzanne January 21, 2014 at 2:38 pm Reply

This pisses me off! We are all given the cold shoulder and are blown off as statistics. We are injured and/or dying. How is this okay “normals”?
    So sorry. So sad.
    This is why I’m going to practically kill myself going to the DC Rally. To make a stand. Pisses me off so bad! I wish I could help her. This is utter madness!

• Lisa Bloomquist January 21, 2014 at 6:40 pm Reply

Thank you for your passion, Suzanne! You are right – there is nothing that is okay about this situation. Nothing. I look forward to seeing you and your fighting spirit in person in D.C. in May!

4. Jan Bush January 21, 2014 at 4:45 pm Reply

It is madness for sure. How can the people responsible ignore this? Antibiotics that we were coaxed to take that can kill or maim us? Lisa, thanks for bringing this to the forefront and make lots of noise at the DC rally!

• Lisa Bloomquist January 21, 2014 at 6:41 pm Reply

The louder “Floxies” are, the less able to ignore us they will be.

xoxo

5. Linda Landmon January 21, 2014 at 5:50 pm Reply

How terribly sad this is. I’ve read peoples post on our support groups sites about people saying their close to death and now one is going to be true. This is so wrong on so many levels! We’ve been robbed of our lives and what we were. Isn’t robbery illegal ? I am going to the DC Rally too and make a stand for what’s wrong because NOTHING is right about this. I feel so bad for this poor woman that put her trust in a doctor. She was robbed!

• Lisa Bloomquist January 21, 2014 at 6:43 pm Reply

It is absolutely wrong and there is nothing that is okay about it! I look forward to fighting with you at the D.C. rally! Taking people’s health, their livelihood, and worst, their lives, is not okay.

6. Tana Young January 21, 2014 at 6:57 pm Reply

I feel sad reading the story, I know we all have a story but this could be any of us! I’ve struggled with one thing or another since June 2010 when the Levaquin was put into my body for a month, unknowing all this time it was the medicine, I received a very serious diagnosis in July 2013 the neurologist told me Frontal Lobe Atrophy said I don’t know why you have this. But you do, it seems moderate, I have three young boys! He looked down and said I don’t know what to say. There is no cure, I’m not even sure what to do with you? His words felt like they paralyzed me, I became so upset, I said so I’m going to die? He wouldn’t really answer, finally he said typically when I see this a patient has 2-8 years! Wow! The anxiety of those words and telling my husband and driving home with my kids in the car took it’s toll, my immune system got low I got sick and yep a dr gave me Cipro! By the first dose I was wide awake at night, feeling pain, trouble swallowing, walking, all too familiar, still didn’t make the connection, ER here I come by day three, stroke type symptoms and possible heart attack! No connection, if I’d taken the meds they prescribed me there and finished the Cipro as instructed I believe I’d be dead now too! That night as it was time for the next dose it hit me like a brick, it’s this medicine! and so here I have been ever since! Spread the awareness lets keep this from happening to anyone else! I’m hopeful, I’ve changed neurologists, I know it can’t be reversed, but my hope is I can stop it’s acceleration and have my own recovery story! Keep the faith, keep up the fight!

• Lisa Bloomquist January 22, 2014 at 4:42 pm Reply

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Tana! I’m so sorry for all that you have been through! I hope that you are on a healing path and that you stay hopeful! I look forward to sharing your recovery story whenever it becomes available. You keep the faith and the fight too!

7. sweetjan79 January 21, 2014 at 9:55 pm Reply

Terribly upset when another life is claimed because of cipro. where is justice in this world? my heart weeped. sometimes i felt i’m becoming atheist, i really wonder if god is really with us – the victim, the needless sufferer who can be better off leading a beautiful life watering plants in the garden, play sports with grandkids, and simply sing with the birds during an evening walk? why why why? no knows why.

now living each day as it’s , hoping for the best becomes our daily mantra

i seriously hope this friend of yours face sudden miracle and the next day doctor come with report stating things have improved!!

• Lisa Bloomquist January 22, 2014 at 4:45 pm Reply

It breaks my heart as well, Jarene. Hoping for a miracle can’t hurt. I certainly hope for one. Whether it comes from God or some magical potion, I do hope for a miracle. Thank you for your hopes as well!

xoxo

8. Teresa January 21, 2014 at 10:44 pm Reply

I am so sad and so angry. Does she know about Dr. Yurkovsky’s Field Control Therapy/homeopathic treatments? Please tell her Lisa. Perhaps she is just too tired to go on.

• Lisa Bloomquist January 22, 2014 at 4:45 pm Reply

I will pass Dr. Yurkovsky’s information on to her, Teresa. Thank you for the suggestion!

9. brookeleekeefer January 23, 2014 at 8:34 am Reply

So very sad. Please let us know who it is at some point. I often question my own mortality. Being sick all of the time is very scary.

• Lisa Bloomquist May 23, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reply

It is very, very sad. Being sickened by a pharmaceutical is horribly sad and horribly scary. I hope that you improve, Brooke! Hugs to you!

10. Lori May 23, 2014 at 4:39 am Reply

I also took the combination of steroids & Levaquin in Oct of 2013. I am slowly clawing my way back. I am so saddened by the profound devastation these drugs cause! Saying a silent prayer for comfort & peace…

• Lisa Bloomquist May 23, 2014 at 12:57 pm Reply

And I will say a silent prayer for your comfort & peace, Lori. May your clawing continue on successfully!

11. Michelle May 23, 2014 at 6:09 am Reply

This is so sad, I will keep your friend and her family in my prayers. I took levaquin and steroids in April, 2013. I am much worse now than when this first started, I hate it, but I do tell my husband that one day I will die from this. I just don’t see how my body can keep going. I don’t understand how the drug companies can be allowed to poison so many people…

• Lisa Bloomquist May 23, 2014 at 1:03 pm Reply

Thank you for your prayers, Michelle! I’m so sorry for the pain that you are experiencing as well!

I believe that our bodies, minds and spirits are more resilient and more capable of healing than we believe they are. I hope that I am right. I hope that you are able to keep going. Hugs to you!

12. Tm Moore May 25, 2014 at 11:26 am Reply

Indeed so very sad. Perhaps she will be with us floxies in spirit helping us. Many people cannot fight the damage, many can and do. But the point must be made that a statistical .25% death rate from these drugs is unacceptable. We are people with families and lives prior to these poisons.

We are not just short term side effects like diarrhea. We are dying. And many a slow, painful, expensive death. This is the message big pharma must get… our government MUST get.

• Lisa Bloomquist May 25, 2014 at 2:50 pm Reply

Fluoroquinolones cause a long-lasting, sometimes permanent – sometimes deadly, syndrome of chronic illness. The symptoms are severe and are often long-lasting. This needs to be communicated to everyone.

13. Jason October 30, 2015 at 6:31 pm Reply

My heart breaks for every single Floxie I see suffering at the hands of BP, and I lose a bit more respect for the World each time too. I’ve seen videos of the absolute devastation it can do, and its gut wrenching. I hope this person somehow makes a miraculous recovery and if not passes and remain in peace. So sorry.