Don’t take Cipro, Levaquin or Avelox if….

Hormones Matter Logo

Post on Hormones Matter –

In an ideal world, fluoroquinolones would be reserved for use in life-or-death situations. Until then, and until medicine can be completely customized and individualized, these groups of people should avoid fluoroquinolones:

1.  People who have reacted badly to a fluoroquinolone in the past.

2.  Athletes.

3.  People on steroids (corticosteroids).

4.  People who need to take NSAIDs regularly.

5.  Immunocompromised Individuals.

6.  People with Mitochondrial Dysfunction.

7.  Children.

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

7 thoughts on “Don’t take Cipro, Levaquin or Avelox if….

1. Bonnie Jacobus January 27, 2014 at 12:46 pm Reply

Lisa,   What about those who are not on your list so they wouldn’t know not to take these? I also thought I read somewhere that they cause mitochondrial issues. Have any data on this?

2. Debs January 28, 2014 at 2:52 pm Reply

I would also like to add two other conditions that if you already suffer from, fluoroquinolone antibiotics should avoided, unless you are literally going to die without them .

1/ If you already suffer from ANY type of psychiatric illness. I would place a particular emphasis on avoiding them at all costs if you already suffer from any prior psychiatric illness which has psychosis as a symptom i.e. Bipolar disorder, Schizoaffective disorder, schizophrenia, or have ever experienced a brief psychotic break/episode. The mention of this contraindication can often be found in the literature, but for some reason it is overlooked, as a MAJOR contraindication, believe me it is.

This contraindication exists, mainly because of the fluoroquinolones ability to induce the ADR of acute toxic psychosis in absolutely anyone, irrespective of their mental state and this particular ADR is also often then capable of triggering chronic severe psychotic psychiatric illness, IN ANYONE. as in Stephen Frieds wife Diane ( Bitter pills ), many people who experience this ADR then end up with a diagnosis of Bipolar disorder because of this fact. It is not the same, but this is the diagnosis you will be given by clueless psychiatrists.

Even leaving this horrifying scenario to one side, the fluoroquinolones are infamous for the neuropsychiatric ADR they can induce, symptoms that can occur, such as a type of major anxiety that can go on for months sometimes for years, this often presents with atypical features. For me, one of the the worst presentations of this was a compete & utter panic state when first awakening , It felt to me as if I had just fallen off a cliff or the feeling you get when you have just avoided being run over, this occurred the moment I opened my eyes, every single morning for two years, & I had to try to get out of bed immediately, If I did not it would just increase until it became so intense I felt like screaming.

2/ You also should also avoid them if you have EVER had a seizure of any type, no matter how long ago. The fluoroquinolones can cause seizures even without the addition of an NSAID & are known to be capable of inducing Status epileptic-as. ( a prolonged seizure, or one seizure after another ) which is life threatening.

• Lisa Bloomquist January 28, 2014 at 3:25 pm Reply

Thank you, Debs! If you would like to add your wise and insightful comment to the post on hormones matter, it will be seen by more people there. Link – http://www.hormonesmatter.com/dont-take-cipro-levaquin-avelox-fluoroquinolone-toxicity/ If I think that the CNS/mental effects of FQs deserve a post of their own and I may consult with you for some good links / information.

Thanks,

• Debs January 30, 2014 at 4:03 am Reply

Hi Lisa

Have reposted It.

I myself believe that the extremely serious, both cognitive, & neuropsychiatric damage that can often occur with the FQs, because of the strong possibility of this becoming longterm / even permanent, or at the very least leaving you with the possibility of being mislabelled with a psychiatric diagnosis for life, & therefore as a consequence of this, then running the risk of being poisoned still further, with the more often than not often highly fluorinated psychiatric drugs, particularly the SSRI antidepressants/ antipsychotics, ( prozac being 94% fluorine for instance ), the fact that people taking these drugs live on average 14.5 years less ( & that is excluding the figure of those who eventually take their own life) than those who do not, & in the case of being given a mood disorder diagnosis of any type having your cognition/ bodily organs devastated even further if you are prescribed Lithium carbonate, (this often will cause thyroid issues, diabetes & kidney failure if taken long term ) is a VERY GOOD reason to bring this ADR to the forefront. It is certainly NOT being given the attention it deserves, most people do not realise just how dangerous & life impacting ( & obviously our lives are impacted enough already ) this can be, & I would be more than pleased to help out in any way I can.

• irin September 13, 2015 at 11:51 pm

please help me im too scared i just took one cipro and factive and after two months i have a bad derealization and im going crazy with it i think im going psychotic or schizophrenic please help me im too acared :((((

• irin October 10, 2015 at 5:44 am Reply

i took one factive and one cipro it is now 3 months o hot a very severe derealization will it develope to psychosis??????