Lisa’s Update

One Year Update Pic

I wrote my recovery story about a year ago. A lot changes in a year, so I thought I’d write an update.

I was pretty well recovered when I wrote my story. In most areas, I was about 95% of my pre-flox capacity. I could do most of the physical and mental things that I needed and wanted to do to with relative ease. I could walk, hike, do pilates, swim, dance, work, have good conversations with my friends, maintain relationships, etc. I was healthy enough and life was good. I would have felt fine about staying in the condition that I was a year ago indefinitely.

It has been a nice surprise that I have continued to get better. Little things have improved/gone back to how they were pre-flox.

I started sweating again. I was kind of enjoying not sweating, but it’s good to have that part of my autonomic nervous system working normally again.

I stopped being cold all the time. I had a hard time feeling warm for a long time after taking cipro. Sometime in the last year my body has gone back to its normal – being “hot blooded” (I’m Swedish).

I feel like I felt pre-flox when drinking coffee and alcohol. It’s difficult for me to describe how I felt different after having caffeine or alcohol while I was sick – but it just felt different – and now it feels normal again.

I went through a period of nausea in the last year. For a couple of months, I couldn’t eat without feeling nauseous. I’m not sure if the nausea was because of a break-up that I went through right before it started (lots of people don’t eat for a while after a break-up), if it was a floxing symptom, or if it was a combination – my digestive tract shuts down now when I go through a period of stress. Whatever the source, it went away when I started supplementing hydrochloric acid (HCL – stomach acid).

I also had some issues with feeling a tightness in my chest that went away when I started supplementing HCL.

My mental capacity is as good as it was before I got floxed. It may even be better than it was pre-flox. I had no interest in biochem before I started researching how fluoroquinolones work – now I read biochem articles for fun, and they’re making me smarter. Also, my writing has gotten better – which is nice.

My energy, endurance, flexibility and strength have continued to improve. It’s difficult to tell if I am capable of as much physical activity now as I was before I got floxed for a couple of reasons. First, I am a bit out of shape. I have an office job so I sit for 8 hours a day. That’s not good for anyone’s physical fitness. Getting floxed certainly didn’t help, as it left me completely sedentary for a while and semi-sedentary for a while after that. Second, I was in really excellent physical condition before I got floxed. I’m not sure how fair it is to compare myself to how I was 2.5-3.5 years ago because I was really fit at that point in my life. Anyhow, those are details. My point is that I’m doing well physically. I can keep up with my boyfriend (who has never touched a fluoroquinolone) while hiking, swimming, etc.

I still struggle a bit with my motivation. I felt like cipro stole my “give a damn.” I’m very passionate about exposing the dangers of fluoroquinolones, and about helping people through fluoroquinolone toxicity, but I still struggle to “give a damn” about other areas of my life. It’s getting better though.

My level of fearfulness has subsided over the last year. (It had actually improved tremendously a year ago when I wrote my story – it was horrible when I first got floxed – I was terrified.) It has taken a long time for me to convince myself that this isn’t going to kill me. I can’t say that the fear about the consequences of the cellular damage done is completely gone. But I can say that I feel good right now. It’s not going to kill me today. Today, I’m doing well.

Diet – I am not on any specific diet. I avoid junk food but other than that, I eat whatever. Food does affect how I feel, but I don’t think that it affects how I feel any more than it did before I got floxed.

Supplements – I’ve switched out my supplements a bit. I still take iron (Pur Absorb 5 mg/day) and I still think that it helps me a lot. I also think that magnesium (250 mgs. Chelated mag/day) helps me. Lecithin helped to clear my brain fog. Hydrochloric acid (HCL) helped to get rid of my nausea and heartburn. I also take a fish-oil supplement, chlorella, glucosamine, vitamin D3, vitamin K2, coenzyme Q10 and a probiotic.

Food Supplements – These supplements are actually food, so I’m putting them into a different category from the supplements. I think that all of them have helped me a lot. Brewer’s yeast – it’s full of B vitamins, amino acids, trace minerals and has things like uridine and iodine in it that are helpful. I think that brewer’s yeast has helped me a lot. Cod liver oil – full of good fats. Raw crushed garlic – for the thiamine and other nutrients. Beets – they make me feel better (nitric oxide??) – do NOT get scared when you pee/poo purple after eating beets.

Exercise – I still find pilates, swimming and walking to be very therapeutic. I haven’t been as diligent in sticking with them this year as I was the year before.

Meditation – I still think that meditation is a wonderful thing for everyone to do. I have gotten horribly lazy about doing it myself.

Acupuncture – I go to my acupuncturist about once a quarter now. I was going at least once a month previously.

Staying off the internet – I’ll give myself a big fat F- on this one. Being involved in floxie stuff over the internet doesn’t induce anxiety for me any more though – so I don’t think that it’s unhealthy for me that I concentrate on it too much.

Having a positive attitude – I think that I’m still doing pretty well with this one. It has been wonderful and touching to have a group of positive people commenting on this site – letting their fellow floxies know what they know – and everyone encouraging each other and having faith in the notion that this too shall pass. I thank everyone who has supported a floxie through their time of need with a positive attitude and/or words of wisdom.

As I have gotten healthier and healthier, I have become less diligent about doing the things that helped me to get to a place of health. It would probably be better for my continued health if I was more diligent about sticking with them. Oh well. I think that it’s relatively normal to get lazy about doing the things that you did to get healthy once you have reached a point where you feel healthy enough.

I consider myself to be 99-100% recovered.

I am very, very, very lucky.

I wish luck, healing and recovery for all of you! I know that a complete recovery is not possible for everyone, and, well, read this about partial recoveries – https://floxiehope.com/2014/03/05/redefining-recovery/. I like the quote at the end of it, “Healing doesn’t mean the damage never existed. It means the damage no longer controls our lives.” If a full recovery isn’t possible, I wish you a recovery in which the damage no longer controls your life.

I am incredibly grateful for everything that I have gained in the last year. This site has reached more people, and touched more lives, than I could have possibly imagined a year ago. More people have read, and cared about, my healing story than I ever could have imagined. I hope that it has helped you. I hope that this follow-up, letting you know that the improvements have continued for me, give you even more hope for your own healing.

Xoxo

-Lisa

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

50 thoughts on “Lisa’s Update

1. BJ June 12, 2014 at 4:27 am Reply

Lisa, this was a very kind, encouraging post. Thank you for your work.
    Blessings –

2. Lane June 12, 2014 at 6:58 am Reply

It’s so awesome to read this Lisa! Floxiehope has been a tremdous help to me; thank you for everything you do!

3. Charles Tooraen June 12, 2014 at 7:34 am Reply

Always good to hear Lisa. Hopefully we all can be there someday. 🙂

4. Michelle June 12, 2014 at 8:41 am Reply

So happy for you and thankful for all that you do. Keep it up, girl. You nailed this FQ recovery!

5. brian June 12, 2014 at 10:37 am Reply

Congratulations Lisa. This is wonderful to hear! -brian

6. Zoletta Strega June 12, 2014 at 11:26 am Reply

This is so encouraging, Lisa. I’m so happy that you made it out of the black, and into the blue. This post, I think, will be a mental life-saver for many who are drowning, and flailing desperately as they reach out to grab onto something solid. This is worth holding onto – for all of us.

7. theman77 June 12, 2014 at 11:30 am Reply

Thank you Lisa. Your story makes me believe this day on day horror ends someday.

8. Ruth Young June 12, 2014 at 12:28 pm Reply

Lisa,
    Thanks for sharing how you are doing now! I needed a hopeful story today, as I am feeling frustrated. You give me hope that this might not be permanent for me. Even though I could live my life ok at the point I’m at now, I really want it all to be gone and to just be normal again. Tough to be patient sometimes, but I also, like you, never forget how very, very lucky I am.

9. Scott Rose June 12, 2014 at 12:40 pm Reply

Thanks for your continual hope & inspiration, Lisa! You have prevented me from giving up all hope that I will ever feel normal again. Did you ever experience the osteoarthritis symptoms (all the joints of the body clicking, snapping, and popping)? If so, did those ever go away for you? That is one of the (dozens of) problems that I have been dealing with, yet ironically, it’s the one that bothers me the most because my body makes these terrible noises all day long to remind me of my floxing!

10. Robert Clark June 12, 2014 at 5:43 pm Reply

This is the only “floxed” post I follow because you are someone that did recover. It gives me hope. I was floxed a year ago and I felt like I was getting better last winter. I tried to do too much too fast and I relapsed. By the way I am in my sixties. Now I have major nerve pain throuout my whole body,including my brain, that just about makes me non-functional. Last year when I heard it was taking people a year or more to recover it terrified me. I just past my one year mark and I am no where near recovered. I spent over 10 grand last year on supplements and health practitioners as well as devices like infrared. Acupunture originaly helped me but now it seems to make me worse. I can no longer use the infrared as that will flare all my nerves after 5 minutes. I can’t live like this but I am not sure what to do next. I am sticking to the idea of complete recovery as my goal but I just want to see progress. You people that can do even 75% of what you used to do are very lucky. If anyone has any suggestions I would like to hear them, or if anyone has a similar story. Mainly I just want to connect with someone. My family does not like to hear me complain because they know it won’t help but I need to do something different.

Bob

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 04:24:43 +0000 To: rlclark99@hotmail.com

• Lisa Bloomquist June 12, 2014 at 6:44 pm Reply

Bob, I want to give you a hug. I’m sending a huge hug to you over the internet. Hugs are most definitely healing and I hope that you can get some good, healing bear-hugs in person from your loved ones.

Even though I think that focusing on the pain of FQ toxicity can induce anxiety and make things worse, and that people have a tendency to focus on it when in the facebook support groups, there are a lot of wonderfully supportive and understanding people in the floxie support groups on facebook. Here is the biggest one – https://www.facebook.com/groups/floxies/ The people in it are kind, helpful and understanding. They will let you complain as much as you want/need to. I have come to consider many of them to be friends. Floxie world is really difficult for most people to understand. It really helps to have some people who do, indeed, understand. I suggest that you give it a try. If you find that your anxiety levels increase while in the group – stop participating. But it may be helpful as a place where you can vent and gain support, friendship and camaraderie.

I have come to be a huge fan of brewer’s yeast because it’s full of B vitamins, trace minerals and nutrients. It’s something that I suggest that you try.

If this is not something that you believe in, please ignore these suggestions, but I found that a lot of spirituality focused stuff helped me. Meditating/praying was very helpful (I took a class called Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction through my health insurer – Kaiser Permanente – that was very helpful. It’s based on the teachings of Jon Kabat-Zinn. He has books too if you want to check them out). A book called A Return to Love by Marianne Williamson helped me to get my head into a good place. Even things like crystal bowl concerts, saying “OM” and energy work were good for me. I think that grieving and crying for the losses that you have suffered is a healthy and even positive thing to do.

I hope, so much, that you are able to get through this.

Please let me know if I can help you.

• Scott Rose June 12, 2014 at 8:14 pm Reply

Bob, you may want to check out the supplement NADH, which has been shown in clinical studies to repair brain cell damage, nerve damage, and DNA damage… all things which can be caused by fluoroquinolones. While I am not 100% yet, I personally have noticed a gigantic improvement in my symptoms since I started taking 60mg of NADH per day: 30mg in the morning and 30mg in the afternoon. There is a great book called “NADH: The Biological Hydrogen” which is written by the scientist who originally stabilized NADH.

• BJ June 29, 2014 at 3:48 pm Reply

I’ve read about this,but how did you know you needed it? The dose was 10mgs too. How do I contact you for help about retrieving an email address?

11. Lisa Bloomquist June 12, 2014 at 6:46 pm Reply

Thank you – everyone – for your kind words! I am so, so, so glad that the stories of recovery on this site, and the message of hope, have helped you!

12. John Asali June 20, 2014 at 4:11 pm Reply

Thank you Lisa for the recovery story. I am at 2.5 year mark and still recovering. I had everything you discussed in your recovery story last year, and I am about 95% back to normal. Last year, I was at about 80%.

• Charles Tooraen June 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm Reply

John, how was your 1st year??

• Lisa Bloomquist June 20, 2014 at 7:37 pm Reply

I’m so glad to hear that you are recovering, John! That’s excellent! 🙂

13. SM June 27, 2014 at 9:53 am Reply

I’m about 12 months out. I’m an intermediate case, in terms of my own rating. One of the things I find particularly difficult (in addition to the pain, the insomnia, the nerve sensations, the lack of available medical help, etc.) is the absolute turtle-pace of recovery.

When I look back at a year ago, the improvement on many fronts is clear. I can sleep better. The pain in my upper body is now rather minor. I can walk at a normal pace and up and down stairs. Even specific movements and body positions which used to be impossible or produce pain are now much easier. I can see all that.

But in the shorter term, recovery and improvement seems very difficult to see and celebrate. Maybe that’s my pessimistic tendency, but I don’t think so. My feet still hurt and ache and tingle and burn. They did so months ago, too. Is it less severe now? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe it’s because nerves heal so slowly. Maybe it’s because of the nature of FQ recovery with good days and bad. Whenever a bad day strikes, it is hard to feel I’m getting better. I always wonder if I’m just getting more used to the pain.

I’m still hoping to see a spurt or real and significant improvement. I’ve seen it referred to in The Flox Report and in various blogs and comments. People talk about going through a period of real healing. I’m not sure I’ve seen that yet. It has been very slow. Very slow indeed. Just one more thing to love about floxing. 🙂

• Charles Tooraen June 27, 2014 at 11:21 am Reply

I understand that sm. Worst part is to have some good healing, then have a major relapse and put you back 3 or 4 months.

• SM June 27, 2014 at 11:43 pm Reply

Charles,
        I know relapses and cycles are all a part of this but I’m not sure I’ve had any. I guess I had a relapse when I applied hydrocortisone cream to a rash during month 4. I had pain come back along with electrical shooting pains down each leg. That was fun! Other than that, I have good days and bad, but not anything I would clearly label as a cycle. Yet.

• Charles Tooraen June 28, 2014 at 11:33 am

I have had 2 major ones, one a month out, and one about 5 months out where I have a complete and massive return of most symptoms. Not fun at all.

• Shela July 4, 2014 at 6:37 am Reply

This is what I always wonder – Am I getting use to the pain or am I getting better.

• SM July 4, 2014 at 8:43 am Reply

Yes, Sheila! That’s exactly it. I also wonder of I’m just getting used to it.

There are certain things that I know are improvement. For example, I could not sit cross-legged on the floor for months. The angle created in my left ankle caused immediate pain. It was almost like a nerve being pinched. But maybe it was a tendon issue. Either way, that is gone. The problem is that I’m not so sure that these kind of minor improvements actually make a difference in my daily experience. My feet, which are about 95% of my pain and discomfort, still hurt. They ache and burn and have various other parasthesias. Is it better than before? That’s the million dollar question. I don’t know. Hopefully I can answer that differently in the coming months.

14. SM June 29, 2014 at 12:20 am Reply

Charles,
    Sorry to hear that. That also confirms to me that I haven’t had any cycles. Again, having bad days isn’t the same as being thrust into the depths of hell, returning to previous symptoms or worse (as you have experienced).

How far out are you? Have you experienced some recovery?

• Charles Tooraen June 30, 2014 at 10:49 am Reply

7 months. Yes, actually twice I have had good recovery, then major relapse.

15. impossibleadversity July 2, 2014 at 9:16 pm Reply

Well, congrats, that’s encouraging.

16. Shela July 4, 2014 at 6:36 am Reply

Lisa, to you still eat all organic?

• Lisa Bloomquist July 27, 2014 at 8:54 am Reply

Sorry for the late reply, Shela. No, I don’t eat exclusively organic food. I think that it’s a good idea, but it’s not something that I do.

17. Al July 27, 2014 at 8:50 am Reply

Lisa I have just re-read this and it really is inspiring. I am starting to do better every day and your posts and this site in general have been tremendous help to myself and the entire floxie community. Bless your heart xx.

• Lisa Bloomquist July 27, 2014 at 8:55 am Reply

I am so glad that you are improving, Al! I’m so glad that this site has helped you!!! 🙂

18. Angie August 11, 2014 at 12:55 pm Reply

So frustrated. Went to another doctor today (fast track clinic) and again same story they don’t believe that cipro had any effect in my joints. I’ve never had any joint problems before taking the cipro. The doctors want to keep saying arthritis.

• Lisa Bloomquist August 11, 2014 at 1:58 pm Reply

That’s ridiculous – and so frustrating! I’m so sorry that you’re fighting that kind of ignorance about these drugs! The adverse effects of fluoroquinolones on tendons and cartilage are well enough documented that they’re at least somewhat acknowledged by most doctors. Here is an article to show them –

I’m happy to point you toward others too, but that’s the best one.

19. Angie August 11, 2014 at 3:47 pm Reply

Lisa thanks is much and I shall read the article.

20. Angie August 11, 2014 at 7:15 pm Reply

Lisa I read the article that you provided. It was very informative and I would like to find a doctor that listens to me and one that I can share the article with. Your kind words and the information that you willingly share helps me to know that I am not crazy and that I know my own body.

21. Angie August 13, 2014 at 3:24 pm Reply

Hi Lisa. I sent you an email could you please take a look at it and respond back to me if you can. Thanks.

22. Angie August 13, 2014 at 7:12 pm Reply

Did anyone get inflammation after cipro?

23. Elizabeth Jennette September 2, 2014 at 10:09 am Reply

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Elizabeth

24. Kim October 26, 2014 at 11:32 am Reply

lisa. Any suggestions on what to do or take if toxic neuropathy is part of this too as well as neurally mediated hypotension? My “healthy” vitamins are high. Never took supplements. B6 and k are high. Others get low??? So confusing. No pain. Mostly dizzy nauseau numbness and tingly. Plus, serious brain fog. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

• Lisa Bloomquist October 26, 2014 at 12:04 pm Reply

It is horribly confusing, isn’t it? The fact that everyone is helped by different things doesn’t make it any less confusing. As far as supplements go, I’d say that iron, brewer’s yeast, magnesium, HCL and cod liver oil helped me the most. I wish that I could say that those things will help you, but I just don’t know. All of our individual differences make this all quite perplexing. Those supplements are what I recommend. I hope that they treat you as well as they treated me!

Wouldn’t it be nice if there were a protocol for how to deal with this? Sigh.

25. Jen December 1, 2014 at 2:58 pm Reply

I have been diagnosed with viral arthritis by a rheumatologist. Although I have a suspicion that it might be the cipro poisoning. I am currently on prednisone to “get rid of the inflammation that’s causing the pain.” There’s really no way to know for sure which it is. I have heard that prednisone could either benefit those that have cipro poisoning or in most cases hurt them more. Because I have no way of knowing for sure if what I have is viral arthritis or cipro poisoning I have decided to continue to take the prednisone to see. Has anyone been diagnosed with viral arthritis or have taken prednisone?

26. Fernando B January 28, 2015 at 1:18 pm Reply

Hi Lisa!

Do you still take the HCL?

27. bw November 15, 2015 at 7:50 pm Reply

Good for u Lisa. Im completely off the forums myself I only saw this bc one my fb friends posted it. This time last year I was dying, not exaggerating literally dying. Internally bleeding, awake for mths lost 70lbs was a wreck mentally an out of work for 7mths. I am happy ro report brain fog, anxiety, energy, stomach, mood all that has returned to normal. Started getting better around 7mths im now at 14mths and consider myself 99-100%. I do not like talking to anyone about it do not like reading anymore non positive stories and although I am better I just want to forget what happened to me, which considering what I went thru is fair. U helped me alot with ur positiveness and ur supplement ideas n I did do ozone glut an vit ivs which could’ve helped but who knows. I couldnt keep down a cracker last yr n now can eat whatever I want n dont have ne reactions. I to consider myself extremely lucky. I should write a recovery story but honestly I just dont care nemore. Which when u heal I feel most ppl will tell u they feel that way. Thank u for all ur help an im very grateful to have found u on the internet! Happy bday btw 🙂

28. Cindy November 15, 2015 at 8:31 pm Reply

Lisa….thanks for starting this site..I am so glad I found it…so good to hear that you are so much better…I am using a lot of the supplements that you & others have tried…I think they are helping me…My story is nothing compared to what most of you have & are going through…I am so sorry for all of you…I pray for your healing….We will help each other out and come through this stronger people….

29. Celeste November 15, 2015 at 11:40 pm Reply

Hi Lisa,
    Wishing you a very Happy Birthday☺. I am very grateful to you and all who post. I took cipro just over a year ago and I am coming up on one year of symptoms this month. I have spent 10 months in physical therapy, finding that my shoulder has tendenosis, tendon fibers altered via mri in June. This was confirmation of being floxed. Could not use left arm for months. I now have more functionality, thank goodness. Did have a major setback in Aug, hamstring injury, pt and I suspect a tendon. Both legs in hamstring ache, tingle etc since. Hamstring pull is slowly healing, Have used icing primary and occasionally infrared sauna. Only 2 1/2 doses nasids last winter and stopped because of your site. Also suspect floride treatments could have affected back in Aug, Thanks to postings here. I also battle ankle pain n tingling, thank goodness for magnesium and mag oil. Have upped my intake of iron in my diet, have to minimizing supplements cause I react to many. Thanks again for all the tips.

30. Melissa November 23, 2015 at 7:54 pm Reply

Thank you soo much for all your work and hope Lisa. I know you have responded to me before but I was wondering if you heard from anyone who made the mistake of getting a b12 shot and actually making some symptoms better but going from chronic fatigue to wired energy and insomnia? Any info would be sooo much appreciated. Xoxo thanks again, Melissa

31. Tina August 3, 2016 at 4:32 pm Reply

Lisa, what exactly was your treatment? Did you do any iv glutathione? Have you heard anything about that? Thanks for your insight
    Tina

32. Lisa C January 12, 2017 at 8:21 am Reply

I, too, am doing well at almost 2 years post-flox. I am so extremely grateful and blessed and consider myself lucky! Thank you for always being that positive encouragement on my shoulder. Your posts and the help of others on the FB pages and Floxiehope saved my life! God bless you!

33. can can January 12, 2017 at 10:57 pm Reply

im in 3 years being floxed my 1year half has no improvementand get worsen to the point my hair and skin does not look like before ..im constipated and my gut was not moving at all ..and i try plant based diet mostly on raw foods for one and half year and only this thing get my hair get back to thin and my skin like before ..i forgot being floxed im in a raw foods so everday gives me hopes this diet helps me .. i learn to dream again and to hope i stop blaming ..i stop looking for my old days everyday i became positive although theres still have up and downs i still have this pain tho but actually the way i think and i felt stronger than before ..im almost liviing a normal life and im look like 5 year younger ..as im intense doing juicing lots of raw veg and fruits..nuts and seeds..have a speedy recovery for us

34. can can January 12, 2017 at 11:00 pm Reply

sorry its thick not thin

35. mountainsandmustardseeds July 19, 2017 at 4:54 pm Reply

So glad you are doing well!