Anthrax Exposure

Anthrax spores

Per NBC News, “More than 80 people may have been exposed to airborne anthrax bacteria in an embarrassing mishap at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, and the numbers may go even higher, officials said Friday.

“Right now we have an excess of 80 individuals,” CDC deputy director Dr. Ileana Arias told NBC News. “We expect that number may even grow … because we’re trying to make that available to as many people as possible in order to make sure there are no adverse consequences to health of any of our employees as a result of what happened.”

Not good.  A breach in protocol has endangered the lives of at least 80 people.  I’m sure that the people exposed are terrified.  I’m sure that they’re willing to take whatever antibiotic they are given to either treat or prevent an anthrax infection.

Cipro will likely be given to many of them.

This is the comment that I’m making on any news source article I see on the topic –

I’m betting that a good portion of these scientists will get “floxed.” Floxed is a short-hand term for fluoroquinolone toxicity syndrome – a severe adverse reaction to a fluoroquinolone antibiotic – cipro/ciprofloxacin, levaquin/levofloxacin, avelox/moxifloxacin and floxin/ofloxacin. Cipro is getting pushed HARD as a treatment. Cipro and all of the other fluoroquinolones cause severe cellular damage through disruption of the mitochondrial DNA replication process, dramatic increases in oxidative stress, lipid disruptions and depleting vital intercellular enzymes.

Doxycycline can also treat anthrax. It’s pretty benign. Doxy is a bacteriostatic antibiotic and Cipro is a bactericidal antibiotic. Bactericidal antibiotics damage mitochondria.

Saying that you can either take Doxy or Cipro is kind of like saying that, in order to wake up in the morning you can drink coffee or shoot meth. Sure, both will wake you up, but one has significantly fewer consequences than the other.

I hope that the people exposed look at the 43 page warning label for Cipro and demand something else.

Getting floxed isn’t fun. Adverse effects like peripheral neuropathy, severe anxiety, insomnia, weakening of every tendon in the body, etc. can be permanent.

Perhaps some people will see this post too.  Feel free to copy and paste what I wrote anywhere.

Here are the articles that should be read:

Science Translational Medicine, “Bactericidal Antibiotics Induce Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Oxidative Damage in Mammalian Cells

Journal of Young Pharmacists, “Oxidative Stress Induced by Fluoroquinolones on Treatment for Complicated Urinary Tract Infections in Indian Patients

Cipro Warning Label

Mechanism of action for Cipro, per the warning label:

Mechanism of Action
The bactericidal action of ciprofloxacin results from inhibition of the enzymes topoisomerase II (DNA
gyrase) and topoisomerase IV (both Type II topoisomerases), which are required for bacterial DNA
replication, transcription, repair, and recombination.

Mitochondria are ancient relatives of bacteria.  Fluoroquinolones disrupt enzymes and DNA replication in mitochondria as well as in bacteria.

I wish all of the people exposed to anthrax the best of luck.  I’m here if you need me.

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

6 thoughts on “Anthrax Exposure

1. brookeleekeefer June 21, 2014 at 8:10 am Reply

I think the important point to make is that these individuals will think the Anthrax is the cause of their symptoms not attributing it to Cipro.

Sent from my iPhone

• Lisa Bloomquist June 21, 2014 at 9:45 am Reply

Maybe. Chronic illness is so different from an infection though. Maybe they’ll connect the dots.

2. Crystal June 21, 2014 at 9:23 am Reply

I’m so glad you’re posting this, Lisa. As soon as I read the articles, I thought “Great way to push more Cipro on the people”. it’s amazing how many prescriptions are written for the nuke bomb of antibiotics.

Fluoroquinolones are great for keeping the medical industry in business. Joint replacements, tendon surgeries, pain relievers, anti-anxieties, muscle relaxants, anti-depressants, anti-aging creams, face lifts – I mean, it’s wonderful for them. The best way to keep the money rolling in is to simply maim the population just enough to keep the dollars rolling in.

And that, my friends, is why I have not taken a single thing since my prescription. Not even a tylenol. No one is going to benefit financially from the destruction this drug has done to me.

• Lisa Bloomquist June 21, 2014 at 9:47 am Reply

AMEN, Crystal! It’s mind blowing when you see it, isn’t it? Pharmaceuticals are causing cellular destruction that is leading to all the chronic diseases. They truly are creating customers. We sound crazy to the people who haven’t been floxed, but the people who have been floxed understand. We see it.

• Crystal June 21, 2014 at 10:56 am Reply

I’ve read in some articles that they expect those exposed to take a two-month course of antibiotics. I would have died, literally, if I had taken it for 60 days. If three days of this drug ravaged me to where I’m still having transient symptoms a year later, what will these poor people go through? I also read that 2 of 54 people rejected antibiotics, good on them, but I mourn what those other 52 may go through.

• Lisa Bloomquist June 21, 2014 at 5:52 pm Reply

I just hope that they take Doxycycline.

60 days of Cipro would kill me too. I have no doubt about it.