Antibiotics After Fluoroquinolone Toxicity

Antibiotic

People often ask about what they should do to treat infections post-flox.  Here are my tips.

First, please INSIST on getting your infection cultured and confirmed before you take any antibiotics.  As anyone who has had an adverse reaction to an antibiotic can tell you, antibiotics are not benign drugs.  They have side-effects (HERE is the 43 PAGE warning label for Cipro/Ciprofloxacin).  Some of those side-effects are life-altering and/or life-threatening.  You don’t want to put any drugs into your body unless you absolutely need them.  A culture should be done to confirm that an infection is present before you take an antibiotic – no matter what.

Because antibiotics have been shown to wreak havoc on the microbiome and bactericidal antibiotics damage mitochondria – and because both microbiome disruptions and mitochondrial dysfunctions are linked with every chronic disease there is – I highly recommend looking into some non-pharmaceutical options first.  Garlic has been shown to have antibiotic qualities and to be more effective against biofilms than many antibiotics.  For urinary tract infections, D-mannose has effectively helped thousands of people get rid of their infection.  Some other non-pharmaceutical remedies for urinary tract infections can be found HERECoconut oil has been shown to have anti-bacterial qualities and it may be good for treating skin and GI infections.  Colloidal silver not only has anti-bacterial qualities on its own, it also has been shown to increase the effectiveness of pharmaceutical antibiotics when used in conjunction with them.  Andrographis is an herb that has antibiotic qualities.

If non-pharmaceutical options aren’t working and you need an antibiotic to get rid of your confirmed infection, here are the antibiotics that I recommend along with reasons as to why I recommend them (or not).

1. Most Floxies seem to do well with doxycycline and other tetracyclines. Tetracyclines are bacteriostatic antibiotics that, “stops bacteria from multiplying but does not kill them.” (source)
  2. Several Floxies have taken Z-pack’s without incident
  3. Amoxicillin seems to be about as benign as antibiotics get. So, it’s not harmless, but it’s well tolerated generally.
  4. Penicillin seems to be well tolerated – unless you’re allergic to it.
  5. Cephalosporins seem to be well tolerated

There are probably some other antibiotics that are fine for Floxies, I just haven’t heard about them.  Please feel free to leave a comment below if there is an effective and relatively safe one that I’m missing.

Here are the antibiotics that I recommend avoiding because they have side-effects that are similar to those of fluoroquinolones, and because many Floxies react badly to them –

1. Macrobid / Nitrofurantoin
  2. Flagyl / Metronidazole
  3. Bactrim / Trimethoprim / Sulfamethoxazole
  4. Augmentin

fluoroquinolone-lawsuit-banner-trulaw

Fluoroquinolones – Cipro/Ciprofloxacin, Levaquin/Levofloxacin, Avelox/Moxifloxacin, Floxin/Ofloxacin and a few others – should be avoided entirely unless you are dying and make the decision that getting “floxed” is preferred to death.  Every warning label for every fluoroquinolone says that people who have an existing hypersensitivity to a fluoroquinolone should not take them again.  “Ciprofloxacin is contraindicated in persons with a history of hypersensitivity to ciprofloxacin, any member of the quinolone class of antimicrobial agents, or any of the product components.” (Warning Label)

Before you take an antibiotic, or any pharmaceutical for that matter, I highly recommend that you look up the review for that drug on http://www.askapatient.com/ and look it up on http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/.  Also, look up the drug’s warning label.  Be informed.  Make an informed decision.

Here is a list of antibiotics – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antibiotics  I didn’t get close to going through all of them.  But I hope that this post gives you some guidance when/if you are faced with an infection.

I’m not a doctor, so please take this advice for what it’s worth.  Doctors should be consulted when you have an infection.  The internet should be consulted too though, because doctors aren’t capable of knowing everything and informed consent is really important.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

44 thoughts on “Antibiotics After Fluoroquinolone Toxicity

1. Lyndsey August 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reply

Awesome! Thank you, Lisa!!

2. Floxed August 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm Reply

Very useful.Probably all the antibiotics that act intracellulary should be avoided too.Our cells need some time(LOTS)to regain their health…

3. Helen Russell August 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm Reply

My daughter and I did fine with bactrim. There are several who have had issues with it, but you can’t just throw up your hands and say, “I can’t take any antibiotic” when you don’t know what your experience will be. I think we can all agree NO FLUOROQUINOLONES! I also think it’s good to share our experience, but sometimes antibiotics are needed, and sometimes I think we go too far warning people off everything! (Yes, I’m guilty as well!). There are VERY FEW drugs that have the kind of side effects FQ’s have.

4. Laura August 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm Reply

Thank you Lisa for the post. It is a big responsibility you carry and I truly appreciate all you do along with those that post information on this site. I recently took Macrobid after being floxed. It did bring back neuropathy symptoms but it is slowly improving. (Thankfully) I attribute my speedy recovery to the information shared on this site. Alpha lipoic is a huge help along with probiotics and magnesium. If you have to take another antibiotic, I would advise taking these supplements also. Always advise your doctor you are doing so though.

Thanks Lisa and everyone on this site.

5. priscilla August 8, 2014 at 8:47 pm Reply

I almost died of liver failure from Cipro. I have no problem with cephalosporins, but will not take Zithromax. Zithro has a new FDA boxed warning concerning QT prolongation.

6. Tammy August 11, 2014 at 11:31 am Reply

Lisa – I have a UTI that won’t go away. Been on two sets of antibiotics – Macrobid and Bactrim. What have you heard are the side effects for those for those you had cipro reactions?

• Lyndsey August 11, 2014 at 12:48 pm Reply

Tammy, has your doctor confirmed that you still have a Uti? I remained symptomatic for a long time after my course of antibiotics, but tests came back negative.

7. Chris August 11, 2014 at 9:14 pm Reply

Thank you for the helpful information. Chris

8. Chris September 2, 2014 at 11:20 am Reply

Thanks Lisa for this post!

I am considering cephalosporins (such as Rocephin) for a Lyme treatment protocol. Priscilla (above) comments that she has had no problems with cephalosporins, but, you did not mention them in your original list. Have you heard of any other experience, positive or negative, with this group of antibiotics?

Thanks again for your posts!!

• Lisa Bloomquist September 2, 2014 at 11:24 am Reply

Hi Chris,

I haven’t heard of anyone having problems with cephalosporins. Of course, they have side-effects – and wiping out your gut bacteria has some consequences. But I haven’t heard of anyone’s flox symptoms re-emerging after taking a cephalosporin. I should have mentioned them in the “probably fine” category.

9. Ronda Bowen September 8, 2014 at 8:01 pm Reply

I’m on doxycyclin, and it’s been fine. I took amoxicillan, something I’d never had any problem with in the past a few months ago, and it gave me a rash. I’m not sure what was up with that, I’m wondering if it was a dye in the capsuls.

10. Debbie September 18, 2014 at 2:44 pm Reply

I would like to mention a prophylactic treatment for preventing UTI’s. While researching Bioidentical hormone treatments in the book, Stay Young & Sexy with Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement by Dr. Jonathan V. Wright, I ran across some reliable studies on women who had re-occurring UTI’s. One study was published on PubMed. So I told my doctor to please give me a subscription for intra-vaginal estriol as I was suffering from constant UTI’s. I have been using estriol for over a year and I have not had one urinary tract infection. Estriol restores vaginal acidity which in turn, keeps bacteria at bay.

11. Christopher October 22, 2014 at 7:32 am Reply

Hi Lisa! Is there a way to message you off the forum? I had a few comments about post-flox abx use from a doc I think you know and I’d feel more comfortable sharing them separately if that’s possible. Thanks, best, Chris

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 19:39:44 +0000 To: floxlymequery@outlook.com

12. Val Watlington October 29, 2014 at 9:08 am Reply

Thank you for your article! After being Floxed 3 1/2 years ago, I recently tried Macrobid for a UTI and after just 2 pills my joint pain has really flared up considerably! I stopped the Macrobid and successfully treated the UTI with d-mannos, tons of 100% blueberry juice, high quality probiotics, and tons of water. By the grace of God I think my infection is cleared after 2 weeks. The mannos by itself wasnt working but the blueberry juice I think is key. I hope that helps somebody. Tetracyclines cause joint swelling for me but that is listed on your safe list. I’m wondering when my flair will settle down. Its been several weeks now. I will try the suggestions in the comments section.Thank you again for this article!

• Lisa Bloomquist October 29, 2014 at 9:14 am Reply

I’m so glad it helped! Macrobid can cause similar reactions to FQs. I’m so glad that you got rid of the UTI on your own!

13. susie July 9, 2015 at 6:09 am Reply

Re: Macrobid/Nitrofurantoin It is NOT a safe drug.- I am reading this forum because there isn’t one for me. I have been severely poisoned by Macrobid. Severely. It has caused severe neuropathy, lung damage, profuse sweating, fatigue and extreme anxiety. I have been homebound for 10 months. Macrobid kills people with Lung Toxicity sometimes with the first course. I had been taking Macrobid for years as a prophylactic for UTI’s and to treat UTI’s. This past fall I had several recurrent UTI’s. I wound up in the ER several times with severe breathing problems and my limbs feel like they are on fire. I was dx’d with Lung Fibrosis and Small Fiber neuropathy – but nobody could tell me “why” this abrupt onset. I was prescribed large doses of Gabapentin which has not helped at all. I kept getting more UTI’s and taking more courses of the med. This is a nightmare. I cannot sleep from the pain and profuse sweating, I have lost my appetite. I cannot exercise – any increase in heart rate increases the burning. In spite of my resistance and fear, I am about to start Cymbalta. I have tried large doses of various supplements, IV-gluthianone, IV-Myers Cocktail, to no avail.

• Lisa Bloomquist July 9, 2015 at 8:20 pm Reply

Hi Susie,

Do you want me to try to get you in touch with another person who has been hurt by macrobid? People who have been devastated by it certainly need some support and I’m happy to try to facilitate that support for you if you want me to.

I’m really, really, really sorry for all that you’re going through! By the time I wrote this post I was aware of the damage that macrobid/nitrofurantoin could do and I put it on the “avoid” list.

One thing to possibly look into is drug-induced porphyria. I know that macrobid is on the list of drugs that can cause porphyria. FQs may also be an unrecognized trigger – it’s a possibility but I haven’t seen it documented in any research.

A recommended supplement for those with porphyria is D-manoose. It may help you with the chronic UTIs too. Chlorophyll may help too.

Best regards,

• susie July 19, 2015 at 8:00 am Reply

Hi Lisa: Thank you for your reply. I do not know what porphyria is, but will investigate. I started D-mannose about a month ago.
        This nightmare has left me feeling very, very alone. I have been disabled for 30 years, but was managing until this. I just found out that my doctor of over 2 decades does not “believe” that I was poisoned. Yes, I am interested in hearing from others poisoned by Macrobid. I also need to figure out which of the antibiotics you list as “safer” covers UTI’s. Oh, and before years of Macrobid, I had many, many courses of Cipro. Back in the days when it was considered the greatest antibiotic.. sigh.
        Thanks for your great service

• kim August 19, 2015 at 7:39 am

Hi Lisa: In search of safe Abx’s for UTI’s post poisoning, I was prescribed minocycline. I just found out that this is not a good choice, as it is too dilute by the time it reaches the Urinary Tract. ( I think the paper said that it is because it is processed by the kidneys?).

KIm ( ( not Susie ) for several serious reasons I do not use my real name on the internet. Today I changed my mind wrt medical issues..)

• Janet March 23, 2017 at 2:08 pm

Hi Susan , I hope you get better soon, I took nitrofurantoin at my 37 weeks of pregnant 11 months ago my su toms pain in old my body , join, tendons, muscle, head , ear pain and dry red eye, lost vision, horrible stomach , liver and blader pain and I got a littel better after 6 moths but I started to have relapses one after another one since a month ago, and the relapses are with mental flog and join inflammation and all the symptoms that I mention, what I taking to help are
          multivitamin with minerals
          Magnesium
          Vitamin c
          Glucosamine
          Amino acid complet
          Flax seed water( boil flax seat and drink the jello water , this help me very good for my stomach and blader pain)
          Good luck

• Janet March 23, 2017 at 2:15 pm Reply

Lisa thank you for Floxi hope, I was damage for Nitrofurantoin very bad 11 moths ago, I recover 70% but I keep having relapses one after another all this time with new symptoms , I would like please if you could put in contact with people that took nitrofurantoin , thank you so much for all the thinks that you do to help us! Thank you

• Janet March 23, 2017 at 2:17 pm Reply

14. Dani July 30, 2015 at 5:49 pm Reply

I have a UTI my Dr confirmed it and also wrote me a prescription for Bactrim for three days. I am scared to take it due to my horrible horrible reaction to Cipro just two months ago. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do or any stories about Bactrim. I dont want the infection to get stronger or worse. Thoughts appreciated. – D

15. kim August 19, 2015 at 7:42 am Reply

Relatively new to D-Mannose – used twice ( I have CHRONIC uti’s).
    It has worked for me now twice for infections, but i find it very irritating/burning if I take large or frequent doses recommended for a UTI. That makes it difficult to tell if it is working, as it feels just like a severe UTI.

16. Jack October 6, 2015 at 3:11 pm Reply

Dear Lisa/others:

After roughly 16 months of recovery from being floxed in April 2014, I took Augmentin for a suspected ear infection last week and now I am experiencing an incredible flare-up of neuropathic pain.

I am divided as to whether this is a “normal” flare up as part of my recovery process, or rather whether I have upset my recovery by the introduction of the Augmentin.

Is Augmentin considered safe for floxies? What I can I expect as a result of having taken it? Biggest question: have I simply caused a momentary relapse of symptoms, or have I indeed set my entire recovery process back considerably?

Thanks so very much for your time and responses, and I will be praying for everyone here to make a full and happy recovery!

Thanks,

Jack

• Lisa Bloomquist October 6, 2015 at 5:31 pm Reply

Hi Jack,

I’m so sorry to hear about the set-back!

Adverse reactions to augmentin can be nasty and they can resemble FQ toxicity reactions. Actress Melody Thomas Scott recently had a bad reaction to augmentin that sounded a lot like FQ toxicity. Fortunately, I believe that the effects of augmentin aren’t as long-lasting as those from fluoroquinolones. People seem to recover from other antibiotic toxicity much faster than they recover from fluoroquinolone toxicity.

I suggest that you do things to heal your gut – like eating lots of foods that have probiotic bacteria in them, and drinking bone broth, and cutting down on sugar and simple carbs. Hopefully this flare-up of symptoms will be short-lived, and you can resume your recovery quickly!

I will edit this post to add Augmentin to the list of antibiotics to be wary of. I honestly haven’t heard from enough floxies who have had augmentin post-flox to know whether or not bad reactions are typical for floxies.

I’m really sorry for what you’re going through! Prayers to you that this setback will be a short one.

• Jack October 7, 2015 at 7:12 am Reply

Many thanks for your prompt response and advice, Lisa!

Not to be sycophantic or awkward, but I truly believe that you are doing holy work with this site. You have given me such hope, both before my current flare-up and back in the spring of 2014, when I was truly inconsolable and viewing death as a preferable alternative to living in this world, which I had known and now continue to realize to be one of beauty, where absolute strangers give each other strength through compassion, share grief through commiseration, and with each word, written or otherwise, express the human love and spiritual fraternity that has the true power, more than any drug or supplement, to heal the broken hearts that come to this site in desperation and despair.

In making this site and actively participating in it for all this time, you have continued to demonstrate the life-giving decisions and selfless service we have been counseled towards by one who suffered above all others, for all others.

In short, God bless you, Lisa, and thank you so very, very much.

Your friend and brother,

Jack

• Lisa Bloomquist October 7, 2015 at 8:27 am

Thank you so much, Jack! I appreciate your kind words! I do what I can to help people through this mess, and one person at a time, I hope I’m making a difference and maybe even making the world a better place. It is always lovely and appreciated to hear from people who are helped by this site and the work that I, and others, put into it! Thank you for your beautiful words, and for the loving, kind, compassionate connection – it is what this world is about.

Hugs,

• Jason November 11, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Jack, that was awesome! I try to tell Lisa these things when I can too, I think you have outdone my efforts with that post however, nice one 🙂

• Andy P August 9, 2016 at 7:59 am Reply

I was on 4 courses of Augmentin one by IV in the Hospital it made me feel far worse than the cipro I took,the nausea, irritability and weakness were terrible.To this day I still dont know if I have reacted to the Augmentin or two days of Cipro I took

17. Angelina Maya April 7, 2016 at 5:41 pm Reply

Cipro causes tendon rupture and tendons never recover from this,

18. Lovetoall May 26, 2016 at 12:33 pm Reply

I don’t know, but after take Amoxicillin I got a new and bigger tinnitus than the one that cipro gifted me. I have experienced joint problems to those related to the early days of cipro. So, watch out.

• E July 17, 2016 at 4:12 am Reply

Did you recover after the worsening of your symptoms?

• Anna July 22, 2016 at 3:46 pm Reply

I got tinnitus while on amoxocillin and after stopping cipro. It did not go away. It is like a constant whooshing sound.

19. Michelle Robinson June 11, 2016 at 10:43 am Reply

The Z pack was fine pre-flox but post flox gave me heart issues and anxiety. I’m developing similar responses to most drugs that aren’t even antibiotics so it may very well be a heart issue.

20. MaxWebXperienZ June 11, 2016 at 9:05 pm Reply

Who needs all this Big Pharma poison? In the current system if wonderfully simple solutions are available, your doctor will never, ever tell you. That’s the simple truth of it. Urinary infections can be cleared up with 1/2tsp of Sodium Bicarb in water twice a day and lots of water otherwise. Colloidal silver is fine on wounds, inhaled, etc. It can knock out pneumonia faster than anything that Big Pharma offers.

21. Robert July 26, 2016 at 10:44 am Reply

There are other substances to deal with infections. Grapefruit seed extract (GSE by Nutribiotic), hydrogen peroxide, and ozone (IV for serious problems). I have an ozone generator which I have successfully used to cure leg ulcers which were not responding to pharma antibiotics. Check it out: biotic means “life or living”, so anti-biotic means it is against life. Very fitting, no?

22. Karen March 23, 2017 at 3:38 pm Reply

Are we to also stay away from Ciprodex
    For ear infection?What is one to use when the doctor says it’s the only ear drop one can use with inner ear infection?
    Thank you.

23. Jennifer March 24, 2017 at 7:36 am Reply

I kept having recurring UTI’s for over a year despite a few different antibiotics and even after being hospitalized, a PICC line put in and about a month of IV antibiotics at home because the testing showed only 2 antibiotics strong enough and were only available by IV. A lady with a very similar story had mentioned that Hiprex was the only med to work for her. I mentioned it to my Dr and she hadn’t heard of it and looked it up and she agreed it looked very promising so she prescribed it. It worked….knock on wood***!!! It’s been about 4 months now with no reoccurrence.

24. J. Mac April 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm Reply

I was also floxed by Levaquin, 2 ruptured Achilles. I have recurrent UTIs, was put on Macrobid, could feel tendon pain. Macrobid not good. Saw a specialist who recommended Estradiol and Trimethoprim. Estradiol gives me migraines even at very low doses and Trimethoprim causes autoimmune flares. I finally did some research and found Cystex, which has D-Mannose in it, and a probiotic made for women targeting this issue. My UTIs are much lass frequent. My internist found an older antibiotic strictly for UTIs called Monurol. It is harder to find, but doesn’t bother me so far, you mix it with water and take it once & you are usually set.

• Janet April 17, 2017 at 9:11 am Reply

If you tummy hurt because the antibiotic that you took, boil flax seed powder and drink just the water that look like jelly, thus help me a lot with my tummy aches and blades, good luck

25. Faye May 7, 2017 at 1:37 pm Reply

Hello Lisa,
    Ive been diagosed with h.pylori however it took a bit of time to realise what it was and before being diagosed i was given Cipro for what they thought was a gut infection, i took 4 and half 500mg tablets about a month ago now, i stopped taking them and didnt take the full prescription as something told me to stop. Ive now been given amoxicillan and Apo-clarithromycin to eradicate the h.pylori. Around a week ago one day before starting to take amoxicillan and Apo-clarithromycin i started getting very sore heads, this lasted for a bout 4 days and then the aches, pains, tingiling, pin prick pain, shooting pains, burning behind ears and temples started along with a constant fuźzy headache, baring in mind that all these symtoms seemed mild and began to slowly appear before starting the amoxicillan and Apo-clarithromycin but since ive started with them they seem to be more prominent but not completely deblitating. Ive had awful nightmares and aniexity too. Should i continue taking my course of antibiotics as the pain in my stomach from the h.pylori is awful and i want it to go away but the pain in my arms and legs is also worrying me, im at a complete loss and dont know who turn to. I went to the doctor with these symptoms a few days ago and he said i could of also contracted a virus but to be fare was honest with me and told me he wasnt entirely sure what was causing these aches and pains. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Lisa May 7, 2017 at 2:53 pm Reply

Hi Faye,

I’m not a doctor or medical professional of any sort, so please keep that in mind. Personally, if I were in your position, I would probably talk to an herbalist about antibiotic herbs that are a bit more gentle on your system than pharmaceutical antibiotics. Garlic is a good natural antibiotic, as is oregano oil. Here is a list of antibiotic herbs that are found in nature – https://www.superfoodly.com/strongest-natural-antibiotics/. Even though these items are natural, you are dealing with a medical problem, and should probably get the assistance of a professional when treating yourself with them. There are some excellent naturopathic physicians, herbalists, acupuncturists, etc. out there, and I suggest that you ask around in your community to find one. High doses of vitamin C and D3 may be helpful as well – they are antibacterial and antiviral. A naturopathic physician should be able to assist with that too.

Probiotic foods may help to combat the “bad” bacteria in your gut. Live culture kimchi, kefir, sauerkraut, yogurt, etc. are good and good for you. Since you’re dealing with so many gut issues though, even eating those should probably be done after you ask someone who is a pro at dealing with gut issues.

I’m sorry that I don’t have more specific advice. My general advice is to ask people who deal with these issues professionally for alternatives that are less consequential than pharmaceutical antibiotics, and certainly ones that are less consequential than cipro/fluoroquinolones.

26. Faye May 8, 2017 at 4:58 pm Reply

Hi lisa,

Thank you very much for your advice its greatly appriciated. I will look into this. Its just so difficult when there are these things happening to your body and you cant figure out how to fix it. Thank you again.

Kind regards