Off Label FQ Use – WTF are they thinking???

FQ off label drug use

It has come to my attention that (some) doctors are prescribing Cipro to patients who are having adverse reactions to other drugs.

I am so flabbergasted by this that I’m close to speechless.

WHY would anyone think that it is appropriate to give a fluoroquinolone to someone who is experiencing an adverse reaction to a drug?!  NOWHERE in the literature for fluoroquinolones does it say that they should be used to treat adverse drug reactions.  It makes no sense.

I thoroughly disagree with fluoroquinolones being used as antibiotics in cases where there are other, safer, remedies that can be used.  They are too dangerous and it is a violation of the oath to “do no harm” to prescribe fluoroquinolones when there are safer antibiotics available.   But at least fluoroquinolones do kill bacteria.  Most doctors aren’t aware of how dangerous fluoroquinolones are, and they use them for the purposes for which they are indicated – urinary tract infections, prostatitis, sinusitis, typhoid, anthrax, and other bacterial infections.  There are even some articles that indicates that fluoroquinolones can be used as chemotherapeutic agents to kill cancer cells.  But there is NO REASON to think that they should be given to people who are experiencing adverse drug reactions.  It’s insane and it’s dangerous.  What in the world are these doctors thinking?!

Why would any doctor who has taken the Hippocratic Oath prescribe a drug that has a 43 PAGE warning label and a black box warning, for purposes other than those for which it is proven to be effective?  Why would a doctor who has taken a pharmacology class think that it is okay to give a topoisomerase interrupter to someone who doesn’t even have an infection (or cancer – topoisomerase interrupters are really only appropriate for use to treat cancer)?  Why are they ignoring the serious and severe adverse effects that are listed on the warning label?  Why are they handing out Cipro like it is candy?  Why are they giving drugs that deplete liver detoxification enzymes to people who are having an adverse reaction to another drug?  WHY?

Here is a video from a guy (a Veteran) who was given a prescription for Cipro after he went to the VA doctor’s office with an adverse reaction to Finasteride:

Another case is illustrated in this comment, which, frankly, broke my heart:

“The baby reacted badly to each vaccination, screaming throughout the night each time, and the doctor prescribed her cipro drops after each one. She can’t taste, and has many delays in speech, reading, learning, and physical development, even though she started off being very advanced in certain ways.”

WHY?

Why would a child (A CHILD) be given Cipro after she has had an adverse reaction to a vaccine?  To completely shut down her liver?  To shut down her kidneys?  To destroy her mitochondria?  To obliterate her microbiome?  To make sure that the microbial protection that her microbiome should give her blood-brain barrier is completely destroyed and the aluminum in the vaccines gets deep in there? (See post-script for sources.)

What kind of masochistic doctor does that to a child?

fluoroquinolone-lawsuit-banner-trulaw

There seems to be a strange and disturbing trend to give people Cipro for no justifiable reason – just ‘cause.  Bayer donated (aren’t they sweet?) 3.7 million Euros worth of Cipro to the countries of West Africa to help them deal with Ebola.  Ummm….. Ebola is a VIRUS.  In case it needs to be said, antibiotics do NOTHING to treat viral infections.  In fact, they can make viral infections worse by killing off the good bacteria in the microbiome that are fighting the virus.  If the doctors in West Africa are giving the people who are fighting Ebola Cipro, they are doing them no good.  Cipro can do plenty of harm too.  The warnings on the 43 page warning label aren’t a joke, and they’re not temporary.

The Western Medicine doctors in West Africa wonder why people don’t trust them and would rather go to a local Shaman.  Shoot, I’d rather go to a Shaman than be needlessly pumped full of Cipro.  The Cipro would definitely kill me, at least I’d have a chance of survival with the Shaman.

We’re in this bizarro world of Orwellian notions of drug safety.  The most dangerous drugs, like fluoroquinolones, are pushed as having “an excellent record of safety and efficacy.”  Just ignore the permanent peripheral neuropathy, severe psychiatric disturbances, mitochondrial dysfunction, cellular mineral chelation, antioxidant depletion, microbiome obliteration, etc. that they cause.  Those symptoms can happen weeks, months, or even years after administration of the drug, so it is pushed that fluoroquinolones are “safe” and that the multi-symptom, chronic illnesses that result from them are a “coincidence.”

Doctors are throwing Cipro at people who they don’t know how to deal with.  If you or your boyfriend/father/son is having bizarre psychiatric problems after taking Finasteride, or your child is reacting badly to a vaccine, they’ll be given Cipro.

Why?

I cannot for the life of me understand why.

Post Script –

The findings published in Science Translational Medicine in the 2014 article, “The gut microbiota influences blood-brain barrier permeability in mice,” are fascinating and likely quite consequential.  The scientists/researchers found that gut microbiota influences blood brain barrier permeability.  Mice with a compromised (or nonexistent) microbiome showed more permeability in their blood brain barrier than mice with normal/healthy microbiomes.  Blood brain barrier permeability means that unwanted molecules and cells from the bloodstream can enter the brain.  Disturbing our microbiome with antibiotics, especially powerful chemotherapeutic antibiotics like fluoroquinolones, is quite consequential to the brain.

Here are some articles about the study:

Science Translational Medicine, “The gut microbiota influences blood-brain barrier permeability in mice

Translational Microbiome Research Forum, “Gut Microbiota Influences Blood Brain Barrier Permeability

NeuroScienceNews.com, “Gut Microbiota Influences Blood Brain Barrier Permeability

The Scientist, “Mother’s Microbes Protect Baby’s Brain: Bacteria in the gut of a pregnant mouse strengthen the blood-brain barrier of her developing fetus.

Karolinska Institute, “Gut microbiota influences blood-brain barrier permeability

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

12 thoughts on “Off Label FQ Use – WTF are they thinking???

1. Patti Ireland December 10, 2014 at 9:47 am Reply

This is simply mind boggling! Giving a fluoroquinolone antibiotic to people who are having side effects from another drug? Or from a vaccine? Or who have a virus?

• Lisa Bloomquist December 10, 2014 at 9:51 am Reply

I don’t understand it, Patti. I really don’t.

Maybe there is some sort of notion that antibiotics are miraculous medications that can help everything. I don’t know. It’s strange. It’s as if they haven’t seen anything about microbiome health that has come out over the last decade.

2. john wilkinson December 10, 2014 at 10:30 am Reply

Lisa for the sake of this post im going to assume that not one dr is stupid. So where are they getting their info from to enable them to make these diabolical decisions. Sometimes i feel i must be dreaming all this, at least with Thalidomide they did stop prescribing it . I hope its ok to say i listened to your audio program . It was nice to hear an american voice instead of reading all the time. You have a beautiful voice and will be successful in that field.

• Lisa Bloomquist December 10, 2014 at 10:36 am Reply

Thank you for listening to the podcast! Another one will be going up tomorrow. All downloads are very much appreciated!

There are stupid people in any profession – including medicine. But I don’t think that most doctors are stupid. I think that most of them mean well and are appalled at the thought of hurting a patient. I sincerely think that they don’t realize that they’re hurting people with FQs. It has been repeated so many times that FQs have “an excellent record of safety and efficacy” that it is believed to be true. Even though it is demonstrably false.

Sorry if the somewhat hysterical tone of this post was off-putting. 🙂

3. myquinstory December 10, 2014 at 12:12 pm Reply

The wonderful fluoroquinolones (FQ) have their tentacles in everything. I honestly believe there are doctors out there, including research scientists, who believe these drugs are a panacea, or at least hey can be turned into one with a little tinkering. Why? well your article touches on that subject.

In the research community there has been background discussions based on observations of FQs displaying anti-viral characteristics in certain circumstances against RNA viruses. Remember, it was along this same type of observation that eventually led scientists into the realm of using them as adjuncts with standard chemotherapy and now the cash cow of creating stand alone chemotherapy.

I believe they are now subtly pushing the antiviral avenue. After all, what better observation for Bayer than to ‘donate’ a trainload of cipro into an area of the world, dominated by viruses, and then to sit back and watch. You can literally run experiments in the open under the guise of humanitarian efforts. You can also bet they have company sponsored techs on the ground in Africa checking blood samples monitoring the results. The end result, will be to use the science to tailor these drugs in yet another direction, all while dismissing the human carnage they leave behind.

I am not a chemist, but was told by a chemist much much smarter than I, that they way the FQ molecule is designed, allows for a modification potential not seen with other antibiotics. Truly insidious from our standpoint.

• Lisa Bloomquist December 10, 2014 at 1:11 pm Reply

Thanks, David. What sad news indeed, FQs are being seen as a miracle cure-all. It’s so far removed from reality that it’s simply bizarre. Orwell was just wrong about the year.

Regarding the infusion of FQs into West Africa –

Dear Bayer,

#BlackLivesMatter you sadistic pieces of $&*^.

– Humanity

4. Ruth Young December 10, 2014 at 3:41 pm Reply

Lisa,
    Until reading this article I really had hope that FQ’s would be banned or at least limited to hospital, inpatient use for serious, otherwise untreatable infections.

Where do doctors get this idea that FQ’s are the cure all for everything? I’d put my money on the drug reps. All off the record I’m sure. But the idea has to be planted somehow and where else would it come from but those who stand to profit the most?

It is going to take a lot, lot, lot more harm and suffering, literally millions of lives devastated by these drugs before anyone wakes up to what is going on, if they ever do.

There’s a tolerance threshold for FQ’s. The more they are prescribed the more people will be hitting their threshold. We can see what will eventually happen. Our Floxie community is growing steadily as it is, but the more time passes the more it is going to rapidly increase as people start their fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth rounds of Cipro or Avelox or Levaquin.

Bayer can probably see it coming too, but they don’t care. They get their millions of dollars and since the reactions are usually delayed good luck proving in court that it was the FQ that gave you a neurological disorder.

It will go on and on, with more and more people disabled and sick and then Big Pharma can create drugs to “cure” those mystery illnesses.

We can’t keep saying people don’t know the dangers. Maybe some doctors are unaware, but the company making it knows. Some doctors even suspect, but the truth that they may have harmed people is too hard to hear so they shut their ears to the floxie’s cries of suffering.

Bayer got my $19 for my prescription for Cipro but I would gladly have just given them the $19 in exchange for not being poisoned. I’d have given a thousand dollars in exchange for not being floxed. (I’ve spent more than that trying to get well.) If it’s money they want, take it all, but please, please, please just guarantee me that the hell I went through is over and that I won’t be put through it again. That’s my plea to Bayer. I’d pay anything to just be safe again, but now I know if I ever end up unconscious in a hospital they will put an FQ in my IV. It’s the one class of drugs that even if it says in your chart you are sensitive to it they will use it on you, just to prove their mantra that “Cipro is very safe” and to show what a hypochondriac baby you are.

If I get floxed again I’m not sure that I could refrain from suicide, may Jesus forgive me if it comes to that. The people peddling this poison have no idea how horrific the psychological side effects of FQ’s can be.
    Ruth

• Lisa Bloomquist December 10, 2014 at 3:55 pm Reply

It’s the perfect money-maker. Induce multi-symptom, chronic illness with a drug that is perceived as completely benign. After all, everyone “knows” that antibiotics are all miracle drugs that do significantly more good than harm. And Bayer so kindly gives it away for free – so as to further disguise that they make money on the back end – by inducing chronic illness in those who take it. The adverse effects are hidden by delays and tolerance thresholds, making the drugs appear to be safer than they are. FQs really are the perfect drugs for drug companies. They fight bacteria, viruses and even cancer. Aren’t they amazing? All you have to sacrifice is your cells – and your microbiome.

Keep shouting though, Ruth. People are listening. They are. The drug companies are strong, but they are also wrong, and we will prevail. Eventually. I hope.

xo,

5. Patrick Jordan December 12, 2014 at 1:34 pm Reply

You can’t understand why and that is a good sign. If you could then it would mean that you could think like The Devil and that is not a good place to be. Let me show you The Devil. In genetic engineering they know that they have to have molecular control switches to be able to turn on or off their inventions. They have released these things into the environment in the form of microbes, plants and animals. All three get into humans. The Standard of Care is to put every animal that comes through a vet clinic on antibiotics and steroids (immune suppressants). Why? Because they already know the damage that was done by vaccines and GMOs. The off-label use of any antibiotic has to relate back to the molecular switches that they engineered into any one of their pets. To me, this indicates that their Frankenstein’s Monster got out of control. Follow the patents that include Cipro in genetic engineering and you might come across the Why.

• Lisa Bloomquist December 12, 2014 at 3:11 pm Reply

Thinking about things like intentional control of the food supply and sickening of the population through GMOs makes me feel dumb. Are there really brilliant, evil people out there who are doing these things with a plan? I’m really reluctant to think so. I prefer to think that there are perverse incentives and a complete lack of checks and balances on the power of greedy people, but I could be wrong about that. No matter what the motives (ignorance or evil), what is happening is not okay.

6. Nancy Garlow September 13, 2015 at 8:58 am Reply

Cipro was an alternative for me because I was had a bad reaction to penicillin since the 1990s

7. Bj September 13, 2015 at 7:12 pm Reply

Has anyone had a problem with vaccinations since they were floxed or is there any info about this?