Lisa’s Vacation to Costa Rica

CR Flower

Last week, my boyfriend and I went to Costa Rica for a little vacation.  It was a lot of fun!  🙂

I am mentioning my trip for two reasons.  First, if I didn’t respond to an email last week, it’s not because I’ve checked out and given up on the cause, it’s because I was on vacation.  Second, I think that people appreciate posts hearing about people living normally post-flox and post-recovery.

I was able to do all of the things in Costa Rica that I would have done on a similar vacation before getting floxed.  I did a zip-line tour of the jungle canopy.  I rode a horse.  I went on hikes.  I went swimming.  I drove all over creation.  I ate whatever food was in front of me (including Pringles – I was REALLY hungry, they were horrible and I don’t recommend them – but I ate them and was fine).  I drank pina coladas on the beach.  I walked across a hanging bridge that was 100 feet above a raging river and blowing in the wind – it was terrifying but it wasn’t any more terrifying than it would have been had I never gotten floxed.  I did the things that a non-floxed, not sick person would do on a week-long vacation in Costa Rica.  It was a good vacation.  It was a fun vacation.

I have fully returned to the level of health that I was before I got sick.  I hope that this post, and other posts like it, give you hope that you too can get back to a place of health post-flox.  I know that my story is not your story, and that everyone is different, but I hope that you too will someday be able to do adventure sports in the tropics – if that’s what you’re into.

There was a time when I wasn’t able to do the things that I did last week.  There was a time when I didn’t think that I would ever be able to do the things that I did last week.  But the memories of those fears have faded, and my capacity for movement and adventure has returned.

I’m lucky.  I know that I’m lucky and I don’t take it for granted at all.  I also know that some people aren’t as lucky as me and my heart aches for them.

When I was feeling lousy it was really nice to hear about people who were living well after recovering from FQ toxicity.  It felt good to read about people doing extraordinary, yet normal, things – getting married, having kids, getting a new job, going on a vacation, etc.  My ordinary/extraordinary adventure was a trip to Costa Rica.  Here are some pics:

CR Zipline

CR Tree

CR LB Beach

CR Beach

CR Hiking

CR Crocs

Random closing thought – my boyfriend and I forgot to change some Costa Rican money to US dollars before we got home.  Now we have about $30 worth of Costa Rican cash that is useless to us.  If anyone who is reading this is going to Costa Rica and can use it, I’ll send it to you – it’s not doing me any good and you’re welcome to it if you make it easy for me to get it to you.  🙂

Best,

Photo Credit – Mark Palmer Photography

Tagged: , , , ,

15 thoughts on “Lisa’s Vacation to Costa Rica

1. Ms. A January 20, 2015 at 10:41 am Reply

So happy for you and because I’m human… a little bit envious! Go, Lisa!

2. Anne clark January 20, 2015 at 10:55 am Reply

Lisa I am going next month.If you like i will buy it from you.Anne

• Lisa Bloomquist January 20, 2015 at 11:03 am Reply

Awesome! Please just shoot me an email with your address and I’ll mail the collones (sp?) to you.

3. Fernando B January 20, 2015 at 11:09 am Reply

What a great post Lisa, as always you bringing hope in these dark times we live in. Seems to have been a very fun trip. Congratulations!

Also on the theme, I would like to mention that I also got to travel after floxed. Although now I’m in the middle of a giant relapse, caused by a damned negligence with my diet (dumb very dumb Fernando), last year I was 99% back to normal and I could make two trips in a month!

With 13 months post-flox / August 2014, I could travel to Miami (6 hours on the flight from Brazil). I spent 4 very good days there, with many shopping and hours walking in malls (early floxie did not walk a few blocks), eating everything.

And in the next week I went with my family to Mendoza, Argentina. I managed to go on all tours and participate in the wine tastings, delicious dinners etc…

As you said, these experiments show that there is hope and joy after flox. I hope to return soon to the level I was. After all, travel is my greatest passion and I already have plans for the coming years …

• Lisa Bloomquist January 20, 2015 at 12:57 pm Reply

There is hope and joy and travel post-flox, for sure! Thank you for reiterating it, Fernando!

4. Jeannie Hajek January 20, 2015 at 12:02 pm Reply

Good for you Lisa, sounds like a wondeful trip! Thank you for sharing!

• Lisa Bloomquist January 20, 2015 at 12:57 pm Reply

It was a wonderful trip, Jeannie! Thanks for reading and commenting!

5. Serrah January 20, 2015 at 2:21 pm Reply

thank you, Lisa!!! this gives me hope!

6. rainbowheartbeat January 20, 2015 at 3:01 pm Reply

Good for you Lisa! 🙂 What an exciting trip that must have been 🙂

Tamara

7. Patty Alexander Sr. January 20, 2015 at 5:43 pm Reply

This is good news for all of us Lisa. Thank you for sharing this with us and I am glad to know that it was a great time for you…You must also have a very caring bf . Special people are hard to come by in these times.

8. Traci Walt January 20, 2015 at 8:24 pm Reply

Lisa this trip was well deserved! You inspire so many people with your research, advice, and genuine concern for each individual. I really hope all your readers will be able to live and enjoy a normal life! Scratch that, an amazing life that they all deserve!

9. brookeleekeefer January 23, 2015 at 5:37 pm Reply

So grateful to read you had a wonderful time! You deserved it. I hope to follow your lead one day. Costa Rica is definitely a destination goal for as long as I can remember.

10. Destruida los Restos January 29, 2015 at 3:34 am Reply

Lovely!

11. Daniela February 5, 2015 at 11:33 am Reply

That’s wonderful, so happy for you. I actually have been thinking of going to Central America. I hope I can go soon.