Taking Career Opportunities

Switching Jobs after Fluoroquinolone Toxicity

People who read and follow Floxie Hope are often surprised to hear that I have a day job.  Yes, I spend a lot of time on Fluoroquinolone Toxicity advocacy.  No, it does not pay the bills.  So, I have one of those job things.

Today, May 27, 2015, is my last day at the job I’ve had since March 1, 2011.  I’m moving on to a similar organization (I’m leaving the names of both my current and future employer out of this… just ‘cause) where I’ll be doing the same line of work, but the new job will give me more responsibility, opportunities, and money.  It’s a step up in my career and I’m excited for the future.

All change is bitter-sweet though….. and a little scary.

I got floxed in December, 2011 and there was a time when I thought that I wouldn’t be able to do my current job, much less move on to a job that required more of me – more work, more intellect, more problem-solving, more travel, more energy, etc.  My reading comprehension, concentration, memory and ability to relate to others were horrible after I got floxed.  I didn’t feel capable of doing my job for months after the flox-bomb went off in me.  Things that I did with ease before I got floxed suddenly became difficult.  I had trouble doing the most basic tasks.  I was scared that I no longer had the mental capacity to do the tasks that were required for the job, and that I was going to get fired.

My fears were largely unfounded, because my employer was incredibly patient with me.  My boss and co-workers saw me go from being strong and athletic to barely being able to walk a block, and they were concerned.  They let me take time off of work to go to appointments as necessary.  They saw that my mobility was hindered and did thoughtful things for me – like getting my print-outs from the copier and bringing them to me.  They believed me, and told their loved ones to stay away from the drugs that hurt me.  I am forever grateful to them for their support, sympathy and kindness.  They are wonderful people and it’s a good organization.

Around one year post-flox I had an annual performance review with my boss.  I thanked him profusely for putting up with my loss of mental capacity.  He seemed perplexed by my assertion that my brain had been fried for the last year.  As far as he was concerned, I was doing fine.  I’m glad that my memory loss and other cognitive deficits weren’t as apparent to him as they were to me.  (Floxie friends – know that you may perceive your cognitive issues to be worse than others see them.  I know what it’s like to feel stupid, but you’re not stupid, and other people will be more forgiving of any mental lapses that you have than you will be toward yourself – so try to be kind to yourself.)

I will always feel grateful for my employer for standing by me while I was sick.  They may not see it as a big burden, but I see it as a great blessing that I am thankful for.

It is time for me to move on from a very good organization though.  I have opportunities to pursue, and I’m hopeful that my new employer will be as good to me as my last employer.

There was a long period of time – years – when I truly didn’t think that I would be capable of furthering my career and taking a job that required more of me.  I was grateful for my position, but I was trying my hardest not to lose what I had, and moving onward and upward weren’t possibilities that I could even consider.  Now those possibilities are a reality, and I have the capacity to take new opportunities.  It’s nice, and I’m thankful for the support in my past that has allowed me to get to these opportunities to better my future.

I hope that all my Floxie friends recover.  May you all be blessed with opportunities and improving health.  Both happened for me, and I am hopeful that they will happen for you too!  Hang in there – it gets better.

Hugs,

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “Taking Career Opportunities

1. Linda Livingston May 27, 2015 at 10:20 am Reply

Lisa–congratulations on the new job! Your former employer sounds wonderful. I hope I am able to work again, and soon. And let me say—this post is the epitome for “Floxie Hope!”

• Lisa Bloomquist May 27, 2015 at 10:28 am Reply

Thank you, Linda! I hope that you are able to return to work too! Sending huge hugs your way! 🙂

2. johnwilkinson May 27, 2015 at 10:59 am Reply

I admire you for all the work you do on floxiehope etc. Also i am a bit jealous because i have nothing to do with my time in the uk. Best wishes to you .

• Lisa Bloomquist May 27, 2015 at 11:04 am Reply

Thank you, John! I hope that you find both healing and a passion to occupy your time! Hugs and best wishes to you too!

3. Elaine Berkowitz May 27, 2015 at 11:27 am Reply

Best of everything and thanks for your amazing discerning mind, energy, and heart lisa! Elaine Berkowitz

Sent from my iPhone Elaine

4. andrea cornell May 27, 2015 at 12:01 pm Reply

Sorry to hear you’re leaving but thanks for all of you work and help.

• Lisa Bloomquist May 27, 2015 at 12:45 pm Reply

I’ll still be here on the site, Andrea. Maybe not as much as before, but I’ll still do the floxie stuff.

• Diego May 27, 2015 at 1:43 pm Reply

thanks for sharing! Congrats! I will be a school principal one day when I am all healed up!

5. sue May 27, 2015 at 5:09 pm Reply

good luck in your new job lisa……………..its a shame you couldn’t have had the new job with the old company that were good to you as not all new bosses are great to you

• Lisa Bloomquist May 28, 2015 at 5:30 am Reply

Thank you, Sue! I hope that the new company and bosses are as good to me as the old ones.

6. Lynda Smith May 27, 2015 at 11:08 pm Reply

Hi Lisa:

Your posting regarding pursuing career opportunities is most important. After we have been floxed, we feel as though we can do little more than just get through the day; our self esteem is adversely affected. It is critical to note that our perceived deficiencies are not usually apparent to others. I commend you, Lisa, for having the courage and resolve to explore opportunities for career advancement; it is a big step forward. I wish you much happiness and success in your new position. I am still experiencing body-wide symptoms (some days are better than others); hearing you say I will get better helps me to remain hopeful.

• Lisa Bloomquist May 28, 2015 at 5:38 am Reply

Thank you, Lynda! I’m glad that I can help you to remain hopeful! Indeed, FQ toxicity damages the self-esteem, and it takes a while for it to recover. It heals too though. Hugs to you and I hope that you have happiness and success in all areas of your life too! xoxo

7. Bryan June 1, 2015 at 7:09 am Reply

Lisa, all best wishes in your new chapter in life. And you’re proof that Life does go on after Floxing. I’m an actor whose put my career on hold – standing on stage for more than 30 minutes is currently impossible – but you’ve given me hope I might get it back again. And that self-esteem knock. I heard someone recently say, this syndrome is not who I am, it’s what I have…Again, all best wishes and thanks for the good vibrations – that is, the non-peripheral neuropathy ones!

• Linda Livingston June 1, 2015 at 7:44 am Reply

Hey Brian, I too am an actor (AEA/SAG) and hope someday I too can do that again. Mostly, I need to be able to start breathing like a normal person again.

• Lisa Bloomquist June 2, 2015 at 5:58 pm Reply

This illness/situation/disease/whatever is not who you are. From the beautiful post – http://www.hormonesmatter.com/fluoroquinolone-poisoning-tale-twilight-zone/ – written by my friend Kristin – “Then, a miracle will occur: like a phoenix rising from the ashes, little glimmers of your long-lost self will begin to return. You’ll remember who you are beyond this sickly, lost person. You’ll realize that beyond your suffering lies an untouchable spirit that will always exist. That illness cannot break you. It may seem to at times, but it cannot change who you are at your very core, no matter how much pain or suffering your body is experiencing. This thought will comfort you in inexplicable ways.”

• Linda Livingston June 2, 2015 at 9:08 pm Reply

Read it. Deja vu. (I had ELEVEN different doctors make similar comments.) Anyhow, Kristin’s piece is beautifully written. Re: getting the word out, I have now sent Consumer Reports TWO letters asking them to cover this. (I was very disappointed in their new On Health publication where they had a column by a dr who admitted he was biased against supplements, and of course dismissed alternative practices, still I have hope in CR to finally someday get it right.) And Bayer’s admonition to contact your provider if you experience any of these side effects is so disingenuous. I only took 4 pills before I switched, and my body has been devastated from head to toe—it is almost 4 months later and I still, in addition to everything else, have horrible breathing difficulties. But I am getting better with my naturopath’s help. Again, great piece.