Babies!

babies after fluoroquinolone toxicity

The floxie community is experiencing a baby boom. There are a lot of first-time moms and dads in the floxie community and I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to all of them!

The babies that have recently been born to floxie moms and dads are healthy, happy and beautiful. They are blessings to their parents and the world.

When I first got floxed, I was concerned about how my fluoroquinolone toxicity reaction would affect any future offspring I might have. It’s a worry that a lot of people of child-bearing age have. I was comforted by people like Briean, who has had 2 healthy children post-flox. I hope that all floxies find comfort in the smiling faces of the babies who have recently been born to floxed moms and dads. So far, all of the kids of floxies seem to be healthy and unaffected by the fluoroquinolone toxicity of their parents. Whatever made us vulnerable to getting floxed, or changes to our bodies as a result of getting floxed, don’t seem to be hurting the next generation.

Of course, it’s impossible to tell how a person will end up, or how healthy she or he will be in the long run, when she or he is only 6 months old, but, so far so good, as far as the health of babies born to floxed parents goes.

I have written about my fears about the intergenerational effects of fluoroquinolones (it seems like a particularly horrible idea to give topoisomerase interrupting drugs to people of child-bearing age). But it should be noted that my fears about the potential intergenerational effects of fluoroquinolones are just fears at this point—they have not been validated by any studies of intergenerational effects of fluoroquinolones. I whole-heartedly think that studies should be done. But the anecdotal evidence of lots of healthy, smiling babies being born to floxed parents, that is available now, is worth a lot. I hope that the healthy babies grow into healthy children and healthy adults—presumably, they will.

Should you, or I, or anyone else who has been floxed, have kids? I don’t think that there is any reason why a past history of fluoroquinolone toxicity should be taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to have kids, seeing as the babies who have been born to floxies are healthy. It should depend on whether or not this looks like something you want to sign up for:

Seriously? You do? Well, go for it then. 🙂

The knowledge that floxies have about gene SNPs, nutrition, antioxidants, etc. may even make their children more healthy than they would have been. Floxies know to avoid fluoroquinolones, and they will certainly never let their children get floxed. Avoiding fluoroquinolones is certainly a step in the direction of long-term health and happiness.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS to the floxie parents out there! Your babies are gorgeous! I hope that they live a long, happy, healthy, wonderful life and that they bring healing joy to your life! Give all your little ones a hug from me, and know that I wish them all the joy, love and health this world can bring.

Xoxo

-Lisa

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

16 thoughts on “Babies!

1. Linda Livingston August 6, 2015 at 8:03 am Reply

I certainly hope you are right Lisa. Sadly, we just don’t know…especially in light of Joseph King’s article (“. The patient’s original genetic profile has been altered-mutated”)

2. SM August 6, 2015 at 9:19 am Reply

Well, I am one of the floxies who is having children. My son is 16 days old and all seems good so far. My wife is very involved in the floxie community. She’s a member of several FQ Facebook groups and has written articles for Hormones Matter. For us, the decision was even more based on whether my health would cooperate enough to make parenthood feasible. Having a child while significantly floxed is a gamble in that way. You’re gambling on healing enough to be able to be a parent someday. My wife and I started this conversation about 16 months ago. At the time I was a 9 month floxie. We really believed I would get better. Maybe not perfect, but close enough. Now, at 25 months, that hasn’t happened as much as we hoped and expected. But I can’t imagine I will still feel the same way 2 years from now or on his first day of kindergarten. It HAS to get better.

I will say this. The experience of having a child- the excitement, the happiness, the awe- has certainly been dampened because I’m a floxie. It’s harder to be happy about things when you’re in chronic pain. Everything I experience now is filtered through the lens of pain. Happy moments aren’t nearly as happy as they used to be. On the other hand, I’ve been a more involved dad than I thought I’d be. My son has given me another reason to keep fighting.

• Lisa Bloomquist August 6, 2015 at 9:42 am Reply

He’s a cutie and, not that it matters what I think of what you name your baby, but good job on the name – it’s one of my favorites. 🙂

You’re right, it HAS to get better.

I saw this the other day, but haven’t looked into it much. It may help for floxie friends, such as you, who are dealing with chronic pain – http://palmitoylethanolamide4pain.com/about-2/. I know that you’re not a big fan of chasing every supplement to see if it will make you better, but I still thought I’d put it out there as a potential thing to look into – if you feel inclined.

Hugs,

• SM August 6, 2015 at 5:46 pm Reply

Thanks, Lisa. =)

• Linda Livingston August 6, 2015 at 3:34 pm Reply

yes SM, IT HAS to get better….and glad you have one more reason to keep fighting.

• Floxed August 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm Reply

SM, my heart goes out to you! I’m so sorry that being floxed has put a damper on being a father, but it’s understandable. Despite that though, I’m sure you will, in the future, experience many wonderful, joyful and meaningful moments as a father, especially as your health begins to improve, which surely it will. You speak of having pain all over. I don’t know what you’ve tried, but I personally know two people who had pain all over their bodies (both had taken Cipro when I questioned them), and all it took to get over the pain was magnesium. My cousin took 500 mg twice a day of a cheap magnesium, and it worked for her almost instantly, though I would recommend transdermal magnesium. She had been in pain for 2 years I think it was. The other thing, after researching, that seems to help as much as magnesium is glutathione IVs, but liposomal glutathione is much cheaper and also well absorbed. There are many things that can help of course, but these two are by far the main two that make the most difference, from what I have seen and read. Everyone who has been floxed should start with these two things. They can make a huge difference. You might also then look into things that help repair DNA, mitochondria, and cartilage. Best of luck to you. 🙂

• Linda Livingston August 6, 2015 at 8:41 pm Reply

Just want to say, I tried several bottles of liposomal glutathione before I started IVs and I have now been told by two different NDs that while it sounds good in theory, it still does not allow the glutathione to pass through the cell wall. I’m not a scientist so I can’t say one way or the other, but I know it is quite expensive (my tiny little bottles, about twice the size of eye drop bottle, were around $70.) Just wanted to throw this out in case someone is thinking about it….

• Floxed August 11, 2015 at 9:22 am

Linda,
          Thank you for commenting! We are all on this journey together. 🙂 All I know is many have been helped by the glutathione IVs, so the liposomal is merely a theory, as I’ve read many times that the liposomal variety gets 90% absorbed, unlike other glutathione supplements. Perhaps the price has gone down since you last tried it, but most of them are about $60 for 4 ounces, which lasts about a month if taking the standard dosage. My knees used to easily get inflamed after exercise, but after a couple months on LG, that actually went away, so I really think there’s something to it. If it were me, I would definitely try the LG for a few months to see if improvement was noticed before going the very expensive route of the IVs. For anyone wanting to try it, be sure to avoid the kind used with, gasp, hydrogenated oils. Best of luck all. 🙂

• Linda Livingston August 11, 2015 at 10:23 am

Floxed, so glad it helped you! And yes I would sure try the LG before the oral supplements, which pretty much everyone says just don’t do much. They get digested and then can’t break the cell wall barrier.

• Floxed August 11, 2015 at 10:32 am

Thank you Linda! 🙂 Yes, I would only suggest liposomal glutathione to people if they wanted to try to the supplement route, since the others don’t do much. I hope the IVs helped you and that you’re doing better! 🙂

3. Floxed August 6, 2015 at 12:19 pm Reply

After I was floxed (I don’t remember exactly which antibiotic I was given at 14, over 20 years ago, but that’s my guess of what happened to me based on symptoms of others), I lost the excitement of the thought of having children one day, and the desire to have children never returned. I’m thankful for that though, because though I’m extremely thankful for the health I do have and that I can take care of myself, it’s still a struggle for me, and I can’t imagine caring for children. I wouldn’t be the kind of mom they would deserve to have. I have a niece and nephew who I love dearly and have a lot of fun with, but they are a constant reminder of how thankful I feel that I’m not a mom! Though I don’t have the energy to be a full time mom, I am still able to give back to my family, friends, and community, and that’s what matters to me. I will also add for others reading who may feel the same that I’m an introvert. I have a small circle of very close friends, and that’s enough for me! If I did have a strong desire for children though, I would trust that desire and have faith that God would provide the energy needed! I think the desire is strongly not there for a reason. I am VERY happy to hear that these babies are all healthy and also that being floxed hasn’t kept those from the dream of being a parent.

• Erin September 19, 2016 at 11:50 pm Reply

I know this post is over a year old, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to reply. I feel the same way about my nephew, he’s great and I love him but he reminds me why I wouldn’t want to be a mother. Did you say that you were floxed at 14? Or did I misunderstand that? I was floxed about 4 months ago when I was 16, now 17.

4. Chelsea February 19, 2016 at 5:27 pm Reply

Lisa- I am curious as to what is safe for delivery? Is an epidural safe? What about Pitocin? What should we be requesting if we have an emergency c-section? I can’t seem to find these answers anywhere and it is really stressing me out.

• Lisa Bloomquist February 19, 2016 at 5:39 pm Reply

Hi Chelsea,

I haven’t heard of anyone reacting badly to any of those things post-flox. There is some risk in each of them, but I don’t think that the risk is any greater for floxies than it is for anyone else.

If you want me to put you in touch with some floxies who recently had kids, I’m happy to try. Please just send me your info through the Contact link.

Thanks,

• Chelsea February 19, 2016 at 5:47 pm Reply

You are such a blessing! Thank you so much!

5. Claw September 21, 2016 at 8:36 pm Reply

Happy to hear healthy babies are born to the flox community! I have also been blessed with two children post flox. However my children deal with multiple food allergies, severe eczema and hives. I know these conditions occur in families who have never had fluoroquinolones but I can’t help but suspect Cipro played a role in passing along compromised immune function as I also developed these conditions post flox. It has also been a struggle to keep up with them As I suffer with daily aches and pains. I pray the message continues to be spread about the dangers of these drugs!!