Pharmaceuticals Contraindicated with FQs

Pharmaceuticals Contraindicated with fluoroquinolones

I’m not a doctor. If you want to know exactly what medications you should or shouldn’t take given your personal medical history, please ask your doctor. Please also know that these are not hard and fast rules for every floxie. Given that there is so little research into fluoroquinolone toxicity, there aren’t many definitive rules for what pharmaceuticals people can and cannot take post-flox. Following is information though, and with information, perhaps you can make a more informed choice about which drugs to take and which ones to avoid.

From the Cipro/ciprofloxacin warning label:

• Corticosteroid drugs increase the risk of tendon ruptures (in the black box warning).
  • “Ciprofloxacin is an inhibitor of human cytochrome P450 1A2 (CYP1A2) mediated metabolism. Co-administration of ciprofloxacin with other drugs primarily metabolized by CYP1A2 results in increased plasma concentrations of these drugs and could lead to clinically significant adverse events of the co-administered drug.” Drugs metabolized by CYP1A2 include Alosetron/Lotronex, Caffeine, Clozapine/Clozaril, Flutamide/Eulexin, Frovatriptan/Frova, Melatonin, Mexiletine/Mexitil, Mirtazapine/Remeron, Olanzapine/Zyprexa, Ramelteon/Rozererm, Rasaglinie/Azilect, Robinirole/Requip, Tacrine/Cognex, Theophylline, Tizanidine/Zanaflex, Triamterene/Dyrenium, Zolmitriptan/Zomig (Source).
  • “Concomitant administration with tizanidine is contraindicated”
  • “Concomitant administration of ciprofloxacin with theophylline decreases the clearance of theophylline resulting in elevated serum theophylline levels and increased risk of a patient developing CNS or other adverse reactions.”
  • “Ciprofloxacin also decreases caffeine clearance and inhibits the formation of paraxanthine after caffeine administration.”
  • “Ciprofloxacin should be avoided in patients with known prolongation of the QT interval, risk factors for QT prolongation or torsade de pointes (for example, congenital long QT syndrome , uncorrected electrolyte imbalance, such as hypokalemia or hypomagnesemia and cardiac disease, such as heart failure, myocardial infarction, or bradycardia), and patients receiving Class IA antiarrhythmic agents (quinidine, procainamide), or Class III antiarrhythmic agents (amiodarone, sotalol), tricyclic antidepressants, macrolides, and antipsychotics.”
  • “Altered serum levels of phenytoin (increased and decreased) have been reported in patients receiving concomitant ciprofloxacin.”
  • “Hypoglycemia has been reported when ciprofloxacin and oral antidiabetic agents, mainly sulfonylureas (for example, glyburide, glimepiride), were co-administered, presumably by intensifying the action of the oral antidiabetic agent (see ADVERSE REACTIONS). The concomitant administration of ciprofloxacin with glyburide has, on rare occasions, resulted in severe hypoglycemia.”
  • Probenecid interferes with renal tubular secretion of ciprofloxacin and produces an increase in the level of ciprofloxacin in the serum.”
  • “Renal tubular transport of methotrexate may be inhibited by concomitant administration of ciprofloxacin potentially leading to increased plasma levels of methotrexate.”
  • Metoclopramide significantly accelerates the absorption of oral ciprofloxacin resulting in shorter time to reach maximum plasma concentrations.”
  • NSAIDs – “Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (but not acetyl salicylic acid) in combination of very high doses of quinolones have been shown to provoke convulsions in pre-clinical studies.”

fluoroquinolone-lawsuit-trulaw

There are many conditions that may (or may not) be related to fluoroquinolone toxicity that have “drugs to avoid” lists. Here are some of them:

There are a lot of questions about timing of drug administration that neither I, nor anyone else to my knowledge, know the answers to. It’s right there on the warning label that concurrent administration of ciprofloxacin and NSAIDs can induce convulsions (seizures), but does that mean that people who have taken ciprofloxacin in the past should avoid NSAIDs in the future? There is anecdotal evidence that NSAIDs should be avoided by floxies, but some people seem to handle them fine, and that’s valid anecdotal evidence too. When might it be safe for a floxie to take the drugs listed above? I don’t know the answer to that.

Another question that I don’t know the answer to is – Do adverse reactions to fluoroquinolones either uncover or cause another syndrome? Some of the possible syndromes that fluoroquinolone toxicity may or may not be related to are G6PD Deficiency and porphyria. Both G6PD Deficiency and porphyria can be brought on by adverse reactions to drugs. It’s possible that fluoroquinolone toxicity is related to these diseases, but I haven’t seen much evidence to support that assertion (so please just take it for what it’s worth).

I encourage everyone reading this to read the entire warning label for any drug you are prescribed, go over the potential benefits and risks with your doctor, and look up any drug you’re prescribed on www.askapatient.com and http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/. After that due diligence, I wish you luck with whatever decision you make. Know that fluoroquinolones are more dangerous than many, maybe most, drugs, and that sometimes pharmaceuticals are necessary, so try not to be too anxious about having to take one.

I hope this helps!

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

32 thoughts on “Pharmaceuticals Contraindicated with FQs

1. Janea August 11, 2015 at 7:34 am Reply

Oh my God, feel so dumb! Never questioned the doctor. If only does not help! I was using iltrypthone and read some where that it was bad. I stopped. What about Tylanol (sp) ??
    I will stop the melatonin. There must be some huge lesson in all this.

2. Bonnie Jacobus August 11, 2015 at 8:16 am Reply

Lisa, What good does genetic testing really do for floxies? Who gets this information? So many profiles are the same; drs that deny problem, adding drugs to the mix and lack of family support/understanding. Makes you wonder – has anyone surveyed state, age, size of city, etc?

• Linda Livingston August 11, 2015 at 9:40 am Reply

I am leaving genetic testing on the back burner, and will use if I don’t see more significant improvement in the next couple months (I have already made huge improvements.) If you find a mutation it can help you figure out what to avoid or how you can better manage it with say diet or supplements.
      be
      I wanted to say something about your “survey” comment. I was thinking that very thing a month or so ago. I thought what if someone in each state took on the task of trying to find info on numbers of people who had been floxed in their state. I am just so tired of hearing drs saying that “side effects are rare,” when clearly they are not. (As mentioned in earlier posts, a Canadian Dr used the freedom of information act to request reported side effects data from the FDA. It showed that there were 3,000 deaths reported and 50,000 side effects…and he estimates these figures to represent ONE PER CENT of what is actually happening, since so few actually report. That is insane! Anyhow, I think it would be a great survey to do.

3. Linda Livingston August 11, 2015 at 9:30 am Reply

I can’t believe that they include prednisone in black box warnings but then do NOT list it in the list of drugs causing significant adverse effects! Perhaps to make it more difficult to sue if /when something other than a ruptured tendon happens? Argh. (Interestingly though, if you go to drugs.com, it lists that combination as having “major interaction,” that is, the risks outweigh the benefits.

4. Mark A Girard August 11, 2015 at 11:46 am Reply

Great article Lisa. Thanks. Janea, do not blame yourself! You should be able to trust your doctors, and everyone acts like you can but unfortunately, you cannot. It’s a big charade with trillions of dollars at stake. Best wishes to all of you!

5. Janine Allio August 11, 2015 at 2:56 pm Reply

what about taking TYLENOL.??? Like ibeprofen is it negative for pain with Cipro poisoning??

Pain is so hard to endure……Can’t sleep much….

More advice please,

Janea

Sent from my iPad

• Linda Livingston August 11, 2015 at 3:08 pm Reply

From Harvard Health: “What applies to NSAIDs doesn’t usually apply to acetaminophen. Acetaminophen is not an anti-inflammatory agent, and eases pain in a different way than NSAIDs. Acetaminophen is easier on the stomach than NSAIDs, but has its own set of problems. Acetaminophen can damage the liver. Four thousand milligrams (mg) a day — about 12 regular-strength acetaminophen tablets — is considered the safe upper limit, but that might be too much for some people. Large doses are the main risk, but there are reports of people developing liver problems after taking small to moderate amounts of acetaminophen for long periods of time. Drinking alcohol while taking acetaminophen can also cause liver damage.” So, it is not an NSAID but who knows if it is any less damaging with FLQ?

I “feel your pain.” I had excruciating mid-back pain from the FLQ—felt deep deep in the bone and it was worse than when I had cracked ribs. Just hideous. I didn’t take anything for it because I was afraid to. It went away a month or so after I started on the IVs with my ND, and it is one of the side effects that has not come back at all.

6. Susan Kanen August 30, 2015 at 8:54 am Reply

We must not ignore the possibility that FQ side effects are fluoride (flo) poisoning enhanced by lifelong fluoride accumulation from many increasing sources such as fluoridated water, dental products and fluoridated drugs. Our medical professionals are untrained to recognize fluoride poisoning. I know because I have thyroid and parathyroid disease after 60 years of fluoride consumption including HF fumes at work, that is improving as evidenced in lab reports by avoiding fluoride. I suffer from dental fluorosis, kidney stones, bone ash from total hip replacement measured 1500 ppm fluoride, X-ray evidence of calcified ligaments (skeletal fluorosis) and painful arthritis and degenerative hip and spine. Be aware! Stop water fluoridation as well as get an understanding of the accumulative potential of fluoride poisoning including from fluoridated drugs. Susan Kanen, Biochemist, formerly with Army Corps of Engineers at DC Dalecarlia Water Treatment Plant, whistleblower to lead in drinking water. Fluoride Free Alaska

• Lisa Bloomquist August 30, 2015 at 10:35 am Reply

Thank you for your comment and for your work, Susan! Many have postulated that fluoroquinolones are damaging because of the fluorine atom attached to the already dangerous drug. Indeed, that fluorine molecule makes the drugs penetrate cells and tissues that it would not otherwise be able to penetrate. The complexity of fluoroquinolone toxicity also indicates that it is a body-wide toxicity, and poisoning through fluoride or other toxic metals is certainly a possibility. Avoiding fluoride has certainly helped “floxies.”

I would love to learn more about the work you do, and I have joined the facebook group you mentioned.

• Linda Livingston August 30, 2015 at 10:35 am Reply

I think there is no doubt that fluorides help make it the potent neurotoxin that FLQ are—but before they added fluorid, there were quinolones, which also had hideous side effects, many of which are now off the market. I think adding the fluoride just made it more dangerous.

• Linda Livingston August 30, 2015 at 10:38 am Reply

FYI—-an ally in the anti-fluoride cause is none other than Erin Brockovich: http://fluoridealert.org/content/bulletin_04-21-15/

7. Debs February 20, 2016 at 8:23 am Reply

I agree Linda.

In fact their have been issues much further back in time, way back past the original non fluorinated Quinolones. Our symptoms can actually be found in various patterns in various drugs all with that QuinoLINE nucleus in common, right back to synthetic Quinine, itself which is also a very dangerous drug.

IMHO, there is something VERY wrong with that QuinoLINE nucleus.

There are imo multiple causes for our issues, some have bigger parts to play than others, the added fluorine which enhances the bioavailable of the active ingredient of the FQ, thus allowing it into places in the body it has never been before, & also creating far easier access through the blood-brain barrier is imo one of many.
    I feel as you do, this has just made a very dangerous drug even more dangerous, it has enhanced the severity & to an extent the potential damage because of the above. The neurotoxicity, a hallmark of various fluorinated drugs is well known of course. Another problem also being, that the FQs are based on Nalidixic acid, itself a known listed documented carcinogen, which of course would also not help matters one little bit.

Fluorides of course are extremely toxic to any living thing, cumulative general protoplasmic poisons. Best avoided by every living creature on this planet, as much as humanely possible … period.

• Linda February 20, 2016 at 10:57 am Reply

agree 100%. and it is insane that we are one of the last countries to still fluoridate water.

8. Cindy March 26, 2016 at 4:44 pm Reply

How can we persuade Governments from fluoridating our water supplies?

• Linda March 26, 2016 at 4:49 pm Reply

The is the BIG question. It is absurd, with so many other countries finally eliminating fluoride from the water supply. You can try to start local. I know a town not far from where I live does not allow fluoride to be added to their water. This is a pet cause of Erin Brokovich, who is helping put out way too many “fires” across the country regarding toxins in the water.

• Martin August 16, 2016 at 11:02 am Reply

Hi all, I live and work in the UK for a major water company over here. With regards fluoridation of water supplies our company does not (as a rule) add fluoride to water supplies, except in areas where the local government (council) have requested it. The area where I live (Manchester) does not have fluoride added to its water supply (thank god) so I’m safe from any additional fluoride consumption. I’ve recently been floxed, after taking cipro in Jan this year which means I’m now avoiding fluoride toothpaste and anything else containing this horrible substance.

Thanks

Martin

• L August 16, 2016 at 11:27 am

I wish we had no fluroide here in the U.S.! Good you have that going for you.

9. Elise January 21, 2017 at 1:54 pm Reply

So because we had a bad reaction to cipro we can not take any of those?? I just got put on Zyprexa now I’m scared and I wonder if that is why on week 2 I have been feeling weird like heavy and off balance and have to sit down and my heart feels like it flutters…so we can take no antipsychotic medications ever??? Please get back to me soon very worried…thank you so much

• L January 21, 2017 at 3:31 pm Reply

Elise…we just don’t know. I would avoid ALL pharmaceuticals if possible. Some have been reported as less dangerous than others, eg for antibiotics, Amoxicillin, penicillin, tetracycline …I would opt first to try something like oil of oregano. NSAIDS and steroids are contraindicated. AS for antipsychotic drugs I don’t know. One of our fellow posters, Debs goes into some detail on these types of drugs in a post. Look back through the posts for: Debs September 21, 2014.

• Elise January 21, 2017 at 7:39 pm Reply

Thank you so much for replying so fast!! I can’t find her post on it how do I find it?? I’m also on a beta blocker and it says something about that too I’m freaking out….

• L January 21, 2017 at 8:42 pm

ok, now bear in mind this is one person’s opinion but I would have to say I agree with much of what she says. try clicking this link and go down to sept 21 (debs) https://floxiehope.com/comment-page-14/

• L January 21, 2017 at 8:43 pm

also elise, I don’t want you out there feeling like there are no alternatives. i would strongly suggest you find an integrative doctor or naturopathic doctor.

• Elise January 23, 2017 at 4:25 pm Reply

Thank you for being so helpful!! You’re so sweet and my joints and been hurting more and I just am worried it’s from the Zyprexa or because I’m on my period….I just don’t know what to do because with Zyprexa if I was to get off it don’t know what I would do and take and it would take a long time to tapper myself off and I just don’t want to end up getting bedridden that’s my biggest fear….

• L January 23, 2017 at 4:34 pm

I know Elise—it is all just so overwhelming. I don’t know about your particular condition. I can tell you that I had been on antidepressants for decades, because my doctor told me I had to stay on for life. But even before Cipro tore my life apart, I was leery of pharmaceuticals, and when I had read about a study done with turmeric vs. prozac, or some other antidepressant, I thought “That’s it. I’m switching.” I carefully weaned myself off (I knew from past experience that getting off too quickly can cause some really disturbing side effects). As I weaned off of them I started on 1,000 mg or turmeric. Well, low and behold I did just fine. I still got depressed, but it was controllable, and really no different than when I was on the effexor. I was doing fine—-until Cipro, when my mind and body became unhinged. I did NOT go back on antidepressants then. In fact this experience has made me terrified of all pharmaceuticals, and I will always seek a natural alternative first now. I wish I could be more helpful regarding your particular situation…that is why I suggested an integrative MD or naturopath. Good luck!

• Elise January 24, 2017 at 5:51 pm Reply

Thank you so much for helping me..I looked at the site and commented but no reply I just wish I knew what to do…I was put in a psych hospital because I was trying to get off my anxiety medication because i couldn’t take magnesium with it it was messing with it and causing me to feel sick like it was increasing my buspar which is what I take for anxiety and I did it too fast and it gave me suicial idealation…so they put me on Zyprexa and bumped my buspar back up to almost where I started…I just wish someone could tell me I’m feeling this was because of my period or because I couldn’t eat organic in there I ate very little meat in there just one day and I was in there 12 days but I did have bad water a bit but I was able to get alot of my water out of the vending machine that didn’t have flouride…but I had to take my medication with their water and I had probably a total of 3 liters of water that was bad while I was in there and idk if that took a late toll on me by 3 days of getting out or if it’s the Zyprexa and a week after starting that getting symptoms I’m just so unsure of everything….on the page you gave me there wasn’t too much on what it does..Im ready to be normal again already…I think I really need the Zyprexa for all the mental stuff and I don’t know what I would do instead…I’m scared I’m young and hate all of this and like I said before I’m scared if it is the Zyprexa it will bedridden me…thank you for being so sweet to me while I’m going through this

• L January 24, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Hate you are going through all this. I had suicidal ideation from the Cipro (well, that and the fact I felt like I was suffocating for months and wanted “out” for that reason too). I want you to find yourself a good integrative doctor. If you feel you need to be on the Zyprexa right now, by all means stay on it. A good doctor can help you find other treatments and how to safely go off of it. (fyi “integrative psychotherapy has a whole different meaning…I mean an MD who practices both western and naturoopathic medicine.) They do exist. In fact one of the top advocates for victims of fluroquinolone toxicity was the late Dr Jay Cohen, a psychiatrist who wrote a book: “How We Can Halt the Cipro and Levaquin Catastrophe: the Worst Medication Disaster in U.S. History.” I found a site for mental health professionals who use the holistic approach. I would start here and see if there is anyone near you. http://www.immh.org/find-a-practitioner/

• Elise January 24, 2017 at 9:50 pm Reply

Thank you so much for everything I found a few in my area and I’ll definitely look into it tomorrow!!! Thank you again for helping me so much through this!

• L January 24, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Oh good! Keep us posted. (and you might want to take one of the “dear doctor” letters with you to inform the doctor from another physician’s point of view, about what happens physiologically with the flouroquinolones. (I was going to put in link for it but can’t find it, so here you go) Dear Doctor, (written by a fellow physician who was “floxed”)
          As you are probably aware, the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics is useful for certain serious infections. Unfortunately, fluoroquinolones also have a long history of serious adverse drug reactions, many of them long term . (1) As a consequence of these reactions, several of these drugs have been removed from clinical practice or their use severely restricted. Besides the severe life threatening immediate reactions, those of a more chronic nature may occur.
          The spectrum of these adverse reactions is extremely broad. Patients suffering from these reactions are often misdiagnosed, referred for a psychiatric consult or even unfairly labeled as “difficult patients.”
          Many physicians have not been properly educated about the severe nature of these chronic adverse reactions, some of which result in life-long disabilities. Post-marketing studies of several flouroquinolones have shown an incidence of adverse reactions much higher than were originally reported in pre-clinical studies. (1,2,3)
          You are probably aware that the fluoroquinolones are eukaryotic DNA gyrase and topoisomerase inhibitors very similar to many antineoplastic agents. Because of their similar mechanisms of action, it’s no surprise that fluoroquinolones and many antineoplastic agents share similar toxicity profiles. Studies have even been conducted using fluoroquinolones to inhibit neoplastic chondrocyte growth in chondrosarcoma. (4)
          There are many patients who have a syndrome of associated symptoms that include, but are not limited to: CNS agitation, depression, insomnia, new-onset anxiety and panic attacks, and even elevated intracranial pressure and visual abnormalities. They may also present with peripheral neuropathy usually of the small fiber type with temperature and pain sensory aberrations, but also often involving larger sensory and motor nerves. Spontaneous muscle activity with fasciculations, myokymia and myoclonic jerks may also occur. Many have musculoskeletal damage with degeneration of cartilage and tendons often leading to tendon rupture and severe ongoing musculoskeletal pain long after therapy has been discontinued. (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)
          This complex symptomatology does not usually resolve after discontinuation of the inducing fluoroquinolone and may in fact worsen. Many patients go on to have disability that may persist for years. (1) Unfortunately, such patients are often seen by many physicians from multiple specialties who, given the complex symptomatology, fail to recognize a unifying diagnosis.
          The mechanism of injury is not fully apparent, but several studies have been conducted and researchers have implicated the following possible mechanisms:
          1. Inhibition or disruption of the CNS GABA receptor. (9)
          2. Depletion of magnesium and disruption of cellular enzymatic function. (10)
          3. Disruption of mitochondrial function and energy production. (11,12)
          4. Oxidative injury and cellular death. (14)
          This seems to be a functional disorder and structural abnormalities are not usually seen on radiological studies. (13) Patients may have abnormal EMG/NCV studies, abnormal skin punch neurologic density and morphology, abnormal vasomotor and sudomotor function on autonomic testing, and abnormal degeneration of tendons and cartilage on MRI. (13) There may be a large number of these patients with coexisting endocrine abnormalities including: antithyroid antibodies and abnormal thyroid function, abnormal adrenal function with either hyper or hypocortisolism, hypogonadism, hypo or hyperglycemia and possibly impaired pituitary function. (13)
          Most patients suffering from these side effects have a very clear onset of symptoms temporally related to a course of fluoroquinolone antibiotic. (13) They were often given the fluoroquinolone in conjunction with a corticosteroid or NSAID. Both of these classes of medications are associated with an increased incidence of adverse drug reaction from fluoroquinolones. (10,13)
          As of yet no scientifically proven effective treatment is known, however patients will definitely benefit from your caring support and appropriate informed care. Of course, other diseases with similar symptoms need to be carefully ruled out.
          There exists a large community of these patients who share information on the World Wide Web. Their numbers grow as the prescription of fluoroquinolones increases. Many of these patients are professionals like myself who have been affected by these drugs. Thank you for your time and consideration.
          Todd R. Plumb MD
          1. Cohen JS; Peripheral Neuropathy Associated With Fluoroquinolones Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2001;35(12):1540-1547
          2. Francesca Lunzer Kritz; New Cipro, Same Side Effects, Washington Post, December 24, 2002.
          3. Shepard CW et al; Antimicrobial Postexposure Prophylaxis for Anthrax: Adverse Events and Adherence Emerging Infectious Diseases ¡E Vol. 8, No. 10, October 2002
          4. Fox EJ et al; The effects of ciprofloxacin and paclitaxel on metastatic and recurrent chondrosarcoma COMMUNITY ONCOLOGY ¡½ November/December 2005
          5. Physisicans Desk Referfence 2006
          6. de Bazignan DA etal; Psychiatric adverse effects of fluoroquinolone: review of cases from the French pharmacologic surveillance database[Article in French] Rev Med Interne. 2006 Jun;27(6):448-52. Epub 2006 Mar 9
          7. FDA Medical Bulletin * October 1996 * Volume 26 Number 3 REPORTS OF ADVERSE EVENTS WITH FLUOROQUINOLONES
          8. Saint F. etal; Tendinopathy associated with fluoroquinolones: individuals at risk, incriminated physiopathologic mechanisms, therapeutic management [Article in French] Prog Urol. 2001 Dec;11(6):1331-4.
          9. De Sano A. etal; Adverse Reactions to Fluoroquinolones. An Overview on Mechanistic Aspects Current Medicinal Chemistry 2001, 8, 371-384 371
          10. Stahlmann R. etal; Effects of magnesium deficiency on joint cartilage in immature Beagle dogsimmunohistochemistry, electron microscopy, and mineral concentrations, Archives of Toxicology. Jan. 2000 73(11,12)
          11. Hayem G. Cytofluorometric analysis of chondrotoxicity of fluoroquinolone antimicrobial agents. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1994 Feb;38(2):243- 7.
          12. Kozie[lstrok]; Ciprofloxacin reduces mitochondrial potential and inhibits calcium entry into Jurkat cells R European Journal of Biochemistry 2003; 1 Supplement 1 July: Abstract number: P4.8-33., Zab[lstrok]ocki K., Szczepanowska
          13. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/quinolones/
          14. Simonin MA etal. Pefloxacin-Induced Achilles Tendon Toxicity in Rodents: Biochemical Changes in Proteoglycan Synthesis and Oxidative Damage to CollagenAntimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, April 2000, p. 867-872, Vol. 44, No. 4

• Elise January 25, 2017 at 9:05 am Reply

Thank you so much…all the doctors on that list were very expensive in my area but I found one after looking stuff up and I meet with her tomorrow that is not out of my price range because it seems they don’t take insurance usually…I pray it all goes well and she can help me she is a naturopathic doctor

10. Martha July 31, 2017 at 6:54 am Reply

LIsa this site continues to help. I am post floxing about 21 months. IT took about four months for the affects of Levaquin to abate and I feel very lucky. I had neuropathy and leg weakness, fatigue and brain fog. I would be teaching and feel dizzy. It did go away. The fear however is not there of taking any pharmaceutical. I recently strained my back, really bad like all over and have nerve pain because of the stretching and compression from the muscles that need to heal. I need to start physical therapy and to get the inflammation down if I can. I was prescribed a Medrol dose pack, a corticosteroid different a bit from Predasone but not sure how. I did not take this because I am terrified it will trigger something post floxing. My doctors do not understand. I cannot take NSAIDS and have been taking Tylenol but that is not a help for inflammation and it is hard on the liver. I have read about taking Curamin – a turmeric compound for inflammation. Have you oar anyone had luck with this? Any adverse side effects? I am so afraid to take anything anymore. I have done acupuncture and it helps and some massage but I know I could use something to help this along. I did have a reaction to amoxicillin about a year ago and took one dose of Prednisone with no issue and it helped the hives calm almost instantly but I am still very leery of taking this. Again my doctors, three of them have just blown my concern off. Any advice?

• L July 31, 2017 at 8:45 am Reply

I would avoid all steroids. Curcumin helps and there are other natural anti inflammatories if you search sites like dr mercola, dr axe and others. I got pericardial effusion (fluid around the heart). From cipro and the cardiologist insisted that I needed to take nsaids I refused. And found a new cardiologist. It is now 2 1/2 years later and I still have the fluid. I believe the nsaids would not have changed things since I also had iv therapy for inflammation and my markers showed that they are back down to normal.

• L July 31, 2017 at 8:46 am Reply

And one more thing. I’d find a new doctor. Find a good nd or integrative md.