The Mitochondrial Link – Fearless Parent Podcast #81

The Mitochondrial Link - Fearless Parent Podcast #81

In my first episode as a host of the Fearless Parent Podcast, I interviewed Dr. Chris Meletis about mitochondria, and how mitochondrial damage relates to health and chronic illness.  Dr. Meletis is brilliant and insightful and it was an honor to have him on the show!

You can learn more about the show, and download it, from this link:

Or, you can get it through iTunes:

Information about Dr. Meletis and his practice in Beaverton, Oregon, can be found on http://www.drmeletis.com/.  Dr. Meletis is changing the world’s health, one person at a time, through books, lectures, podcasts and his practice of naturopathic medicine.

A couple of Dr. Meletis’s wonderful articles on mitochondria are:

Mitochondria Resuscitation: The Key to Healing Every Disease

Mitochondria: The Missing Link in Hormone Therapy

They are highly recommended.

What does this have to do with fluoroquinolone toxicity?  Fluoroquinolones have been shown to damage mitochondria, the energy centers of our cells, so mitochondrial health and fluoroquinolone toxicity are tightly linked.

Thank you for listening and for sharing this podcast!

Tagged: , , , , ,

34 thoughts on “The Mitochondrial Link – Fearless Parent Podcast #81

1. Your Future September 7, 2015 at 10:09 am Reply

None of the good Doctor’s suggestions will help much. I’ve tried them before.
    TRY RACETAMS LISA!
    Piracetam, Oxiracetam, Aniracetam, Phenylpiracetam.
    Racetams RESTORE the Mitochondrial energy conversion capacity.
    They work especially-well in Brain-variant Mitochondria.

• Lisa Bloomquist September 7, 2015 at 10:18 am Reply

Thanks! Do you have any more information about racetams? I’d love to look into them. Thanks!

• Your Future September 7, 2015 at 10:47 am Reply

Too much more information unfortunately: 3,234 Files in 271 Folders.
        I am the creator and maintainer of the Racetam Prices list:

I built & maintain this list to keep both myself and resellers supplied with affordable Racetams.

Racetams restore & protect Mitochondrial energy generation while reversing especially the Brain degenerations caused by chemical insult & aging. They have been a miracle for me and many others and are all legal save Levetiracetam in Canada and Piracetam in GB/NZ where it’s POM.

Racetams have no side-effects and the studies on them are legion.
        Since you are interested in restoring Mitochondrial energy conversion, here are some studies apropos to the subject:

Action of 2-pyrrolidone acetamide (piracetam) on the electron transfer respiratory chain in rat liver mitochondria

Action of piracetam and clonidine on different mitochondrial populations from hippocampus

Improved mitochondrial function in brain aging and Alzheimer disease – the new mechanism of action of the old metabolic enhancer piracetam

Piracetam improves mitochondrial dysfunction following oxidative stress

The effect of nootropic agents on brain mitochondrial function in the dynamics of craniocerebral trauma from the age aspect

The metabolic enhancer piracetam ameliorates the impairment of mitochondrial function and neurite outgrowth induced by ß-amyloid peptide

US Patent #6417220: Mitochondrial membrane stabilizer

Piracetam is the weakest Mitochondrial energy conversion enhancer of all the Racetams and the first developed.

As from my own tests, the order of power on Mitochondrial is as follows:

Phenylpiracetam > Pramiracetam > Oxiracetam > Aniracetam > Piracetam

This is also the order of dose-potency:

Phenylpiracetam Hydrazide: 100mg / Dose x 3 / Day [Ceretropic’s the only seller, avoid T&W (China): Fake Product

Phenylpiracetam: 100mg – 200mg / Dose x 3 / Day
        Pramiracetam: 300mg / Dose x 3 / Day
        Oxiracetam: 500mg – 800mg / Dose x 3 / Day
        Aniracetam: 1000mg – 2500mg / Dose x 4 / Day [Short Half-Life: 2h]
        Piracetam: 2500mg – 5500mg / Dose x 3-5 / Day

Each also has slightly different qualitative effects on different individuals so I suggest you evaluate them first alone then stacked. Pramiracetam produces the largest retained gains.

Phenylpiracetam Hydrazide is my recommendation for a start – you will be stunned at the enormous increase in cognition, cognitive clarity, visual colour saturation, cognitive rate and more. However it is very expensive.

Your wallet is the limitation on how well you can become.

Do understand that the Racetams must be taken continuously to keep dysfunctionalized Mitochondria refunctionalized. It is the presence of these molecules within Mitochondrial membranes that refunctionalizes them. This is a therapeutic program for life and for a lifetime.

Also know that Piracetam in particular potentiates stimulants. If you’re taking CAFFEINE then that Caffeine will likely become Rocket Fuel. Do not make the mistake of attributing jitters / tension / anxiety to the Racetams especially Piracetam if you’re stacking them with Caffeine.

You will be able to give up all Caffeine & stimulants once you’re on Racetams. At least you won’t need stimulants for ‘energy’ as they simply deplete ‘energy’ without giving. Stimulants are Takers not Givers.

Racetams are Givers that improve fundamental health the way good foods, vitamins & minerals do.

High-dose Fish Oil also refluidizes all cell membranes including Mitochondrial membranes by altering their plasticity. I mean high-dose: 2g EPA & 1g DHA / Day minimum.

Noopept is also a very valuable addition however according to my tests its 2-Oxopyrrolidine ring is too deeply-buried within its molecular structure to have any effect on Mitochondria. Its talents lie elsewhere.

I healed my brain completely and am now faster & more competent than before the devastation of a solid week of 24/7 Ciprofloxacin infusion which left me nearly unable to walk or talk and vomiting constantly.

You won’t know how much cognitive function you have left to regain or have lost for that matter until you reach a higher level of functionality from which you will be able to look down and see your former less-competent self.

Also, MeCBL [Methyl-B12] at high doses – 20mg+ / Day – is according to my tests able to restore Mitochondrial energy generation to about the extent as 100mg x 5/Day Phenylpiracetam however works in a different manner so should be stacked with at least one Racetam.

Now I must go and take my morning stack including:

Oxiracetam: 550mg Oral & 50mg Intranasal
        Piracetam: 5500mg Oral

I also have 20g Phenylpiracetam powder on-hand & 50g Pramiracetam in-transit from my USA supplier. I suggest you start small & work up. Take proper doses: there is no toxicity to the Racetams The prices are low and the benefits are high.

I have also designed the higher-potency Piperazine analogs of Racetams: the WCB-RAM Series:

• Jason October 23, 2015 at 9:22 am

More toxic chemical carcinogenic unnatural concoctions that are not meant to be put in the body, to treat another toxicity syndrome? I think not, all chemicals are toxic

• Jason October 23, 2015 at 9:43 am

Many studies exist “proving” that toxic chemicals can help some people short term or have some benefits, and many of them are later proven to cause cancer and horrible side effects because of course, chemicals don’t belong in the body.

The Earth was fully stocked with everything Humans needed from the start, and ailments were treated this way for hundreds and hundreds of years, until some greedy people came along and figured out ways to “poison people for profit”.

Enough about that B.S., if someone wants insight into the full history see “The truth about Cancer” for an in-depth look at it, and all the lies, falsified studies, etc

============

If someone does NOT want to embark and yet another road down a toxic chemical path, especially if they are Floxies and already toxic by definition, there are NATURAL ways to address the Mitochondria.

Terry Wahls healed herself from an INCURABLE disease using diet and NATURAL supplements, M.S., see Renee’s story for someone who found healing through this, and for the link to Terry’s Wahls great 17 minute video for more.

Here is some other important info I found/posted back in May this year while researching Fibromyalgia remedies that could REALLY help Floxies:

D-Ribose is a simple carbohydrate molecule found in every cell in the human body (i.e NATURAL), and is critical in the continuous production of ATP, the molecule which gives our muscles and our heart the energy they need to perform. ATP production within the mitochondria benefits from D-ribose supplementation in two ways: ATP production from scratch can be increased up to 400%, and the more efficient recycling or salvaging method can increase up to 700% D-Ribose in supplemental form is absorbed at a rate of up to 95%. Use 5 grams up to three times a day for pain associated with fibromyalgia or lack of energy from cancer treatment.

Okay, I don’t know how accurate those numbers are but they are certainly exciting and promising from a Floxie point of view. We know our Mitochondria has been damaged, and that ATP is in the toilet (severe case Floxies really know this unfortunately well) very similar to what happens from Cancer Drugs. So it would make perfect sense that this would be a VERY helpful supplement, and yet I have never ever seen it mentioned anywhere.

Here is some more info from this link: http://www.drwhitaker.com/natural-treatments-for-fibromyalgia

Quote: “Re-energize patients with coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), L-carnitine, magnesium and ribose. People with fibromyalgia (and its common sidekick, chronic fatigue syndrome) often have below-normal levels of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the energy that fuels your cells. They also typically have a reduced ability to manufacture ATP in muscle cells.

To improve cellular energy, I prescribe 200 mg of coenzyme Q10, 500–1,000 mg of L-carnitine, 500–1,000 mg of magnesium, and 10–15 g of ribose, all of which should be taken daily in divided doses.

Though all of these nutrients are involved in cellular energy, ribose may be the most important. In one study, researchers gave 41 patients with fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue syndrome 5 grams of ribose three times a day. After four weeks, nearly 70 percent of the participants had significant improvements in symptoms and quality of life thanks to this treatment for fibromyalgia”

—-

Note that these 4 things possibly came from Dr Stephen Sinatra’s “awesome foursome”. Quote from him, “My Awesome Foursome is based on what I call metabolic cardiology. That is, your heart runs on a fuel called ATP and nature has provided four unbelievably powerful nutrients—CoQ10, L-carnitine, D-ribose, and magnesium—that work together to help your body produce it. And the more ATP your body makes, the stronger, healthier, and more powerful your heart can become”

—-

So we see two of these recommended for Floxies all the time, CoQ10 (antioxidant & other benefits) and Mag (many benefits). I added L-carnitine recently but it looks like D-ribose is potentially the most important one when it comes to ATP. A quick look over at Amazon you see some very promising reviews, just search “Doctor’s Best Best D-Ribose Featuring Bioenergy Ribose, 250-Gram” at Amazon to find comments like this to confirm all the above:

“I have fibromyalgia with fatigue syndrome and I would have only 2, maybe three days a year that I would feel “normal” and able to function. I feel so much better with D-Ribose and I am able to function. My husband noticed that I have been feeling a lot better and I have been able to do a lot more than usual after just one month’s use.”

“I have fibromyalgia, read about D-Ribose and I’ve been taking it for over 6 months. It truly does help with fatigue and mental hiccups.”

“Normally, things that work for me show the benefit pretty quick (a matter of days). So when I hadn’t noticed any appreciable improvement to my daily stamina, I assumed it wasn’t going to work for me. Kept taking it though, and a few days later realized I still had energy when I got home from work. My thoughts were clear, I didn’t need to take a nap, and my sleep patterns appeared to improve. I come home with enough mental/physical energy left to act like a real human being for a few hours before bedtime.”

“I struggled with persistent fatigue for years. When I did try to exercise it was exhausting. After reading “From Fatigue to Fantastic” I purchased the Doctor’s Best D-Ribose and quickly noticed a significant improvement in my energy levels.I began to have enough energy to start exercising and, after months of preparation, at 63 years old, I completed my first 5K race. This may not work for everyone, but it is little short of a miracle for me.”

• Jason October 23, 2015 at 9:45 am

Here is a little more about ATP:

That is a great link all about Magnesium actually, here is a quote that caught my eye

“Magnesium Supplements contribute to reduction of tiredness and fatigue and normal energy yielding metabolism. Magnesium is present in every cell. ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) is the major unit of energy produced in the body, but ATP is actually Magnesium–ATP. All enzymes that create or use ATP require Magnesium ions. Deficiency of Magnesium means that energy cannot be produced and tiredness and fatigue result.”

With that in mind, consider the following I found on one Mag in particular:

“Magnesium malate is a fantastic choice for people suffering from fatigue, since malic acid — a natural fruit acid present in most cells in the body — is a vital component of enzymes that play a key role in ATP synthesis and energy production. Since the ionic bonds of magnesium and malic acid are easily broken, magnesium malate is also highly soluble.”

Yet another reason to use ACV also.

• Jason October 23, 2015 at 9:51 am

Here is “Elizabeth” posted in response to my post back in May:

Elizabeth May 9, 2015 at 3:57 pm Reply

Since this is a site for HOPE, I want to say that I AM GETTING BETTER. I am recovering/bouncing back. I should start a new post .. But I didn’t. Your mention of D-ribose prompted me to post this.

A few months before starting Cipro I had started working on improving my mitochondrial function. Dr. Sarah Myhill has a good book out about CFS and mitochondria. Her website is also packed with info. So based on her and Dr. Tietelbaum’s research and experience, my mother started helping me focus on that specific area of my health.

Because I was working on it already, I really think that is helping me bounce back from the Cipro toxicity. Jason, you mentioned Wahls and that is a protocol my mom had read a lot about. I haven’t read her book but I believe it’s good info from what I hear.

My diet consists of organic puréed vegetables, organic puréed meats, some healthy fats, a bit of fruit..I have digestive issues so that’s why I chose this diet. The point of posting that info is basically to say that you should try to eat what is healthy for you while you are healing.
          **Then I started taking D-ribose (like you mentioned), NAC, ALCAR, CoQ10 (ubiquinol form). Those are to help support the mitochondria.
          **I also take Dr. Tietelbaum’s Energy Revitalization System, vit C, vit D3&K, two forms of magnesium, probiotics..

For my own separate personal health issues, several of which are common with CFS, I take DHEA (low DHEA), natural dissected thyroid (hypothyroidism), B12 (low B12/energy), d-mannose (UTI’s caused by E. Coli)), Biofilm Defense (UTI’s not caused by E. Coli), ginger and mint (nausea), low dose imipramine for sleep, pain, migraines, Ambien for sleep, and Adderall for energy. I quit taking Naproxen because you all said to but I’m not sure why that is. Next I’m looking into adrenals and Lyme. So much to look at!

Getting back to the Cipro and healing…
          This is what has helped me most–
          Mitochondrial supplements, good diet, not getting up and expending energy when I don’t have any, SLEEP as much as I can- (I have to drug myself to sleep but sleep is so imperative for healing that I’m doing it), and EFT/tapping, which is an acupressure technique that you can quickly and easily learn for yourself online or you can pay to go see someone trained in it. The EFT has helped me GREATLY and immediately with intense symptoms.

So…I’m healing. It’s happening. I thought I was going to die after I stopped taking it. I asked my mother if I was dying. It was rough and it still is but I’m having positive results that are occurring quickly and I believe that the reasons I listed above are why. I encourage everyone reading this to at least try EFT. You don’t have to believe it. It costs you nothing. It’s easy. Once you know how to use it, you can use it on all kinds of things and it can blow your mind. If anyone needs help with it, I would be happy to teach you and see if we can get a reduction in any of your symptoms. It’s worth a shot. I’m not a practitioner. I make no money from that.

Okay good luck everyone! I’m going to post my story again several times later on though bc I want it to be seen.

• Jason November 10, 2015 at 2:20 pm

The Methylation tie-in important to Floxies:

Methylation and Energy Production

The mitochondria are the energy producing organelles within each cell. Decreased mitochondrial energy has been implicated in chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and mitochondrial disease. Coenzyme Q10 is also important for its role in ATP production in the mitochondrial respiratory chain. Methylation pathway function is necessary for the synthesis of CoQ10 in the body.

Carnitine is another nutrient produced by the body that is involved in mitochondrial energy production. Mitochondria fatty acid oxidation is the main energy source for heart and skeletal muscle. Carnitine is also involved in the transport of these fatty acids into the mitochondrial matrix. As with CoQ10, the synthesis of carnitine by the body requires methylation pathway function. Synthesis of carnitine begins with the methylation of the amino acid L-lysine by SAM, so once again we have a
          connection to the methionine/homocysteine pathways.

Another connection between carnitine and the methylation cycle is that an enzyme that is needed for carnitine synthesis is also utilized as part of a secondary route to form methionine from homocysteine. When there are methylation cycle mutations that impair the primary route of synthesis for methionine, this secondary route will be used more heavily.

• Jason November 20, 2015 at 10:28 pm

I have trouble believing sources that ALSO sell related products, but note the 128 references to studies and such on the 3rd page, seems pretty comprehensive and its not the first time I have read these things either.

Some summarized points:

Mitochondria are the cellular organelles that power every energy-requiring bodily process.

– Researchers recently discovered that signs of age-related mitochondrial damage appear nearly a decade before the onset of permanent DNA damage.

– They also found that mitochondrial decay and dysfunction are REVERSIBLE.

– CoQ10 speeds mitochondrial electron transport, increases energy production, and protects tissues from mitochondrial decline.

– R-alpha-lipoic acid further supports mitochondrial energy production.

– Acetyl-L-carnitine “feeds” energy-releasing molecules to mitochondria, improving their efficiency and preventing damage

• Carnosine is a nutrient comprised of two amino acids. It’s a natural antioxidant and anti-glycation molecule proven to reduce reactive oxygen and nitrogen species resulting from chronic glucose exposure, while also binding to potentially dangerous metal ions (chelation). These features make it attractive as an anti-aging, anti-Alzheimer’s agent.110-112

• Luteolin is a flavonoid with potent anti-inflammatory effects.113,114 It directly inhibits AGE formation at early, middle, and late stages in their development—more powerfully than standard chemical AGE-inhibitors.115,116 It also directly counters the sugar-induced mitochondrial damage caused by reduction in a survival protein called Bcl-2.117

• Benfotiamine is a fat-soluble form of thiamine (vitamin B1). Its higher bioavailability allows it to strongly increase glycation-fighting thiamine levels in blood and tissues in normal people and in people with either type 1 or 2 diabetes.118-120 Benfotiamine powerfully reduces AGE production and damage to vascular endothelial cells under high-glucose conditions.121,122 It blocks three distinct pathways of sugar-induced tissue damage to protect against retinal damage in diabetes.123

• Pyridoxal -5’-phosphate (PLP) is the biologically active form of vitamin B6. It is a powerful inhibitor of both protein and fat glycation.124,125 Glycation reductions by PLP are credited with reducing sugar-induced blood vessel and kidney damage from diabetes.126,127

• Jason November 20, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Dr. Mark Hyman

Lots of great info in this link, here are some quotes:

“How to Heal Your Mitochondria – Here’s how to protect them and prevent rusting.

First, address some causes of mitochondrial damage:

Minimize your intake of processed food, junk food, sugar, empty calories, artificial sweeteners, artificial colors and other chemical food additives. Their toxic effects can damage your mitochondria and prevent them from producing energy properly.

Detoxify. Support your body in ridding itself of the environmental and internal toxic “sludge” it has accumulated over the years. (For detox tips, see “Day-to-Day Detox” in the May 2008 archives.)

Address inflammation. Chronic, smoldering inflammation slowly destroys our organs and our ability for optimal functioning, and leads to rapid aging. (For advice, see “Fighting Inflammation” in the July/August 2004 archives.)

Balance your hormones. By resetting your metabolism and improving the way your body handles sugar and insulin — a master hormone — you can make your cells more intelligent and cooperative, and less resistant to doing their jobs.

Then, boost and protect your mitochondria:

Exercise. In essence, exercising encourages your body to upgrade its energy factories. Interval training, for example, increases the efficiency and function of the mitochondria. (For more, see “The Fit Way to Weight Loss” in the January/February 2008 archives.)

Eat food that’s full of antioxidants and phytonutrients. Get eight to 12 servings of fresh vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, seeds and whole grains every day. (For more on this, see “Phyto Power” in the November 2007 archives.)

Take mitochondria-protective and energy-boosting nutrients. These include acetyl-L-carnitine, alpha-lipoic acid, coenzyme Q10, n-acetyl-cysteine, NADH, D-ribose, resveratrol and magnesium aspartate. While not a cure-all, these nutrients, taken in conjunction with a whole-food, plant-based diet, can provide metabolic support for those low on energy.

Increase omega-3 fats to help build your mitochondrial membranes. Coldwater fish, such as wild salmon, sardines and herring, are good sources of omega-3 fats, as are flaxseeds and omega-3 eggs. They all help strengthen the fragile cellular membranes that make your mitochondria work the way they’re supposed to.

• Jason November 25, 2015 at 12:18 am

We know that Cipro impairs our Mitochondria activity AND robs our body of Magnesium. Here is a little more on the cheap and easy to make Magnesium Bicarbonate Water from a Magnesium expert in a great little article he wrote:

The whole article is great, here is one excerpt: “Magnesium Bicarbonate – The Ultimate Mitochondrial Cocktail. Without removing toxins and acids from all organs, cells and tissues, and without providing the essential nutritional building blocks like magnesium, the body will not be able to heal completely. Unless a treatment increases oxygen, water, and nutrients most medical interventions come to naught. When the body’s tissues and cells become too acidic in conjunction with mitochondrial deficiency we set the stage for tissue inflammation and degeneration as we become breeding grounds for anaerobic pathogens. Many in the alternative health field believe that there is not one drug on the market that reduces the acidity of the body or addresses any king of nutritional deficiency. This is not true! There happens to be two exceptional medicines that are excellent in addressing most of the issues mentioned above. Magnesium chloride and sodium bicarbonate are both considered medicines in their injectable forms and both provide almost immediate relief to physiological disturbances. This chapter is specifically about the dynamics of using these two substances together. Adding these two substances to taste not only will re-mineralize highly processed water but will provide the body with a constant supply of the ultimate mitochondrial cocktail. Few clinicians are aware how these two substances work to enhance each other – they are mutually reinforcing because magnesium functions as a bicarbonate co-transporter into cells. And bicarbonate acts as a transporter of magnesium into the mitochondria.”

So apparently this water really helps get Mag right into the cells due to the bicarbonate, and absorption is really really high in general, great article and convinced me to make it and seems like the ultimate water for a Floxie especially.

This is from one of Daniela’s older posts, not sure where she sourced the info from: “Magnesium dissolved in water (ionized) is considerably more bioavailable than is magnesium in solid tablets or capsules. About 50% of the magnesium contained in magnesium/bicarbonate water is absorbed. This is 12 times better than the absorption rate for magnesium oxide. So drinking 1 liter of magnesium/bicarbonate water per day would correspond to taking five 500 mg magnesium oxide tablets daily.”

Here is how to easily make this cheap, effective and important water:

You buy a bottle of Milk of Magnesia (like $3), just make sure you buy one that has NO additives what-so-ever, the only ingredients should be Magnesium hydroxide and purified Water. Then buy 1 Liter of Carbonated Water ($1), again the only ingredient here should be Carbonated Water, nothing else. So we are talking $4 here, and this will make about 10 – 12 Litres of Water, almost enough for a week.

Now slowly open the bottle of Water and pour out about 1/2 cup (and do whatever with it). Shake MoM and then Measure 3 TBSP and slowly pour it in water. Put cap on bottle and let fizz for 30 seconds or so, then gently shake bottle a couple of times, let fizz again, then put it in the fridge. 30 mins later, remove bottle and gently shake it again for 10 -15 seconds, put back in fridge. DONE! It couldn’t be much easier. Bottle should be “caved in” if the reaction worked properly, f there is a little MAG at bottom after this process don’t worry just leave it at bottom of bottle, you could try shaking one more time too (if there is a lot at bottom then reaction likely did not work good enough).

This is now a Magnesium Bicarbonate concentrate (don’t drink it!). I add about 1/3-1/2 of a cup of this concentrate to 2 liters of RO Water and then drink water through the day. Note this water is not exactly Mag Bicarbonate but estimated to be very close to it.

—-

Note this recipe came from the afibbers Wallerwater pdf. The ratio of concentrate to Water is about 11 parts Water to 1 concentrate. When I was Floxed I used that ratio which was about 2/3 of a cup of concentrate in 2 liters of water, but I use a little less now that I am 95% healed or so because the taste can be a little strong at 11:1.

• Jason January 8, 2016 at 12:37 am

One thing I should mention about D-Ribose, is that it can feed Candida, since it is essentially a simple Sugar, so this could have a negative effect for some people

• Jason March 4, 2016 at 2:29 pm

This is a VERY VERY important article showing more ways ATP production can break down in Floxie (like just missing IRON which many Floxies are, and other important nutrients that are robbed thanks to Cipro including Copper which becomes bio-unavailable in people with Adrenal Fatigue which many Floxies will have):

A couple of quotes:

Oxidative metabolism is the unique human method of producing energy at the cellular level, within the mitochondria of each cell. Oxidative metabolism depends not only on the glyolysis and Krebs or carboxylic acid cycles functioning properly. It also depends upon the less well known biochemical pathway called the electron transport system. In this system, electrons shuttle between molecules of NAD and NADH, and this generates at least half of a person’s high-energy ATP, assuming that person is healthy, which is rare today.

In fact, few are healthy these days and, as a result, their energy output falls. This always lands them in a slow oxidation situation, which we always seek to remedy by various means at our disposal. Among holistic practitioners, some describe this as mitochondrial dysfunction. The questions are, why does it occur and what can be done to reverse it.

WHY DOES THE ELECTRON TRANSPORT SYSTEM FAIL?

A lower energy state due to a faulty electron transport system can be due to any number of toxins that get into the cells. It can also be due to generalized nutritional depletion, along with toxic metal substitution in the enzyme binding sites of the electron transport system. One of these enzymes is NADH, for example. The electron transport system requires the B-complex vitamins, manganese, zinc, copper and iron, among other nutrients.

HOW DOES THE ELECTRON TRANSPORT SYSTEM PRODUCE ATP?

Basically, one molecule of ADP (adenosine di-phosphate) is connected to one molecule of NADH via a special double-bonded carbon atom. Then a molecule of phosphorus is bound to the molecule of NADH. The next step is that the phosphorus is released onto the ADP, forming the higher energy compound called ATP. The NADH becomes NAD, which is recycled back and used over again, just as ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate) is recycled as ADP and used again. This is the basic mechanism.

This mechanism sounds simple, but it is anything but simple. Dr. Koch worked for years to understand it, and his insights are found in the biochemistry books. What is not known, however, is how nutrition figures into the system. Here is the basic setup:

– Phosphorus, as you might imagine, is central for the electron transport system. It is the “fiery element” needed to hold a high electrical charge and deliver it to where it is needed in the body.

– Copper is needed to transform the P or phosphorus atom from a simple phosphorus atom or compound into the high-energy phosphorus compound needed for ATP.

– Iron is needed to transform the NADH so that it can receive the P and be attached to the ADP.

– Manganese is needed in other steps, earlier in the Krebs or carboxylic acid cycle and glycolysis cycle.

Other nutrients such as coenzyme Q-10 (ubiquinone) are involved, as well, but are not as critical as the minerals, in most cases.

2. Linda Livingston September 7, 2015 at 11:59 am Reply

That was great. Going to look into the mito antibody test. Thanks

3. Linda Livingston September 7, 2015 at 12:17 pm Reply

Hey Lisa, I just went to the site for Direct labs and looked up the mito antibody test. It gives this description: “This test is ordered to help diagnose primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC). PBC is a serious condition in which the biliary system in the liver is gradually destroyed.” I thought it was to tell how damaged your mitochondria are. Did I miss something?

• Your Future September 7, 2015 at 2:09 pm Reply

The best way to test how damaged your Mitochondria are is to use a Mitochondrial energy-restoring Racetam. The rapid reversal of symptoms and level of reversal within a week’s time will tell you exactly how damaged you were before. That’s what counts too: the reversal of symptoms which ruin the person’s Quality of Life.

• Lisa Bloomquist September 7, 2015 at 6:09 pm Reply

I’ll ask him and get back to you.

Thanks,

4. Linda Livingston September 7, 2015 at 5:15 pm Reply

Thanks, but I wanted to follow what the doctor was saying.

5. Your Future September 7, 2015 at 5:16 pm Reply

More Racetam studies on these Mitochondrial miracle-healers:

Aniracetam attenuates H2O2-induced deficiency of neuron viability, mitochondria potential and hippocampal long-term potentiation of mice in vitro

Piracetam improves mitochondrial dysfunction following oxidative stress

After the week’s assault on my body perpetrated by the lethal toxin Ciprofloxacin I was vomiting every half-hour and nearly unable to walk with symptoms of severe brain dysfunction including hallucinations and cognitive dysfunction.

Immediately upon returning home from the hospital I began self-treatment with Racetams. Within days I was thinking clearly again. Within a couple weeks I was 80% restored and by the end of a single month I was back to 100%.

Today I am at +200% of my functionality before the Ciprofloxacin assault even began. That is the power of Racetams combined with high-dose Methylcobalamin and high-dose Fish Oil.

I have prepared a brief paper outlining further studies on the immense therapeutic effects of Racetams upon dysfunctionalized & damaged Mitochondria, particularly the brain-type variant. The Phenylated Racetams such as Phenylpiracetam & Phenylpiracetam Hydrazide have nearly equal effects on whole-body Mitochondria while other Racetams have stronger effects on Brain-variant Mitochondrial than those in other organs.

Energy metabolism enhancement effect of nootropics

The most important study of them all:

Check this image of Figure 1 from the study:

Note the DRAMATIC restoration of damaged Mitochondrial energy potential provided by Piracetam treatment in Bar Graphs A and B! In Graph A, Piracetam at a concentration of 1mM was able to increase Mitochondrial function to a higher level than the undamaged Control group!

Piracetam though is just the BEGINNING of this journey. Check Graph C: Only 0.5mM of Oxiracetam increased Mitochondrial energy conversion more than Piracetam could at DOUBLE the concentration [1mM]. While Piracetam at 1mM concentration managed to increase energy conversion by ~5% above the Control’s 100%, Oxiracetam at the same concentration increased it by 5% above the control group.

These results were achieved by Piracetam & Oxiracetam stacked on top of the Mitochondrial-damaging Amyloid-Beta Protein fragment 1-42!

In Bar Graph D we see that Aniracetam was at a concentration of only 0.01mM able to restore more Mitochondrial energy conversion than Piracetam could at TEN TIMES that concentration [Bar Graph A]! The study never even tested Aniracetam at equal concentration of either Piracetam or Oxiracetam but if it had the results would have been even more dramatic.

I can personally testify to the DRAMATIC and RAPID improvement in both cognitive and whole-body function after Fluoroquinolone chemical insult via Racetam supplementation. I can also testify that in my personal experience Racetams reverse the aging process in a dramatic & rapid fashion.

6. Your Future September 7, 2015 at 5:23 pm Reply

Linda Livingston: If you follow the doctors you will follow them into an early grave.
    Doctors and the Medical Establishment CAUSED these problems.
    The doctors are toxic poison.
    Doctors’ jobs DEPEND ON YOU BEING SICK.
    If you’re well they lose their jobs.
    The Medical Establishment is a lethal cancer upon humanity and this planet.
    They are filthy parasites who depend upon and act to increase and perpetuate the suffering of those they pretend to be healing.
    No Doctor could ever help me and I tried many of them.
    If you cannot find a way to help yourself you are lost.
    I can provide that way as one who has successfully healed MYSELF by MYSELF.

• Linda Livingston September 7, 2015 at 5:31 pm Reply

Have to say, this is the first time i have been put off by a comment on this site. First of all, I am talking about NATUROPATHIC not allopathic doctors. Second, I have done voluminous research on flq toxicity and my question above was specifically to Lisa regarding her podcast and something that the NATUROPATHIC doctor talked about in the podcast. He has some pretty impressive creds. I don’t know you, except that it sounds like you are trying to push something that you have a financial interest in. Also, everyone is different. For you to say to not pay any attention to the ND in the podcast, (did you even listen to the whole thing?) and that you have the only answer, I find a bit suspicious.

• Jason October 23, 2015 at 9:26 am Reply

Agreed, a another paid promoter of toxic chemicals

7. Lisa Bloomquist September 7, 2015 at 6:03 pm Reply

All of the information about racetams is wonderful and appreciated and “Your Future,” thank you for all the links and your testimonial! I just encourage people to note that racetams have not been studied with floxies and there are people who report adverse reactions to them – http://selfhacked.com/2013/07/17/why-i-dont-supplement-with-piracetam/. There are, obviously, also people who sing their praises. Just be aware of all sides of the coin, my friends!

8. Your Future September 7, 2015 at 6:06 pm Reply

Whether you are ‘put off’ or not is not my concern.

I deal in facts plain and simple.

Doctors in whatever form: MD, ND or otherwise all depend for their income upon their ‘patients’ being sick.

Just like prison guards, lawyers, judges and policemen depend on crime for their jobs.

I have nothing to sell. I am not a doctor and do not depend upon the sickness of others for my income.

9. Your Future September 7, 2015 at 6:10 pm Reply

Among all the Racetams, Piracetam is dependent on healthy Adrenals for its function.
    None of the other Racetams have this requirement.
    I have read that single person’s site thoroughly.
    This is one person’s anecdotal reports not backed up by a single study.

Lisa: rather than expend such effort in an attempt to devalidate the numerous studies I provided links to, not to mention the vast quantity of positive reports, I think you could use that time and energy to move forward on these amazingly-powerful regenerative Mitochondrial therapeutics.

• Lisa Bloomquist September 7, 2015 at 6:17 pm Reply

I’m not trying to discredit you, I’m just mentioning that others have had bad experiences and that caution is warranted. Of course their bad experiences are anecdotal. As people are looking into them, they should look into both sides. Racetams are powerful – and caution is appropriate. Curiosity and exploration are also appropriate and I thank you very much for the information!

• Your Future September 7, 2015 at 6:43 pm Reply

You are correct – it is absolutely important to investigate both sides of any therapeutic.
        I have myself spent well over 5,000h investigating Piracetam’s Adrenal dependency – actually a dependency on adequate Aldosterone secretion capacity. It seems that in healthy individuals two factors decide the success or failure of Piracetam’s therapeutic effects and both relate to the Adrenals:

1. The use of stimulant drugs such as Caffeine – which I do not use – gradually exhausts the Adrenals. Since most of the population are Caffeine users they never receive the full benefits of Piracetam and many with weaker adrenals or higher Caffeine loadings receive no perceived benefits at all. A simple test of Adrenal function is a Caffeine challenge dose. If a Caffeine challenge does not produce a stimulated state but instead results in relaxation or fatigue then the Adrenals are not responding due to exhaustion.

2. Inadequate Methyl-B12 [Methylcobalamin; MeCBL] status which prevents correct Adrenal function:

Interrelationship of Vitamin B12, Androgens and Cortisol in Chronic Stress and associated Vascular Dysfunction

Methylcobalamin has an Effect on Hypothalamic-Hypophyseal-Adrenal Axis

Nutrients and Botanicals for Treatment of Stress: Adrenal Fatigue, Neurotransmitter Imbalance, Anxiety, and Restless Sleep

10. Bert November 3, 2015 at 7:27 pm Reply

Has anyone tried the Noopept Racetam stuff? I am desparate for something to help with the brain fog, dizziness, lethargy, and overall mental exhaustion after being floxed over and over and over….

Thanks.

• Lisa Bloomquist November 3, 2015 at 8:04 pm Reply

I haven’t personally tried any racetams. The comments above are interesting. They’re powerful. Please look at both the pros and cons so that you make an informed decision about them.

Have you tried mitochondrial support supplements? MitoQ has helped several floxies. PQQ is also a powerful mitochondrial support supplement. NAC may be helpful too.

Some floxies have been helped by supplementing iodine. One should be careful with iodine, but it may help. Please get your levels checked before supplementing.

One floxie said he was helped by Adderall. It certainly has its cons, but if it’s something you want to try, you can chat with your doctor about it. Personally, I’d try racetams first, but that’s just me.

I suggest listening to the Bulletproof podcast with Dave Asprey. He has all sorts of biohacking information on it.

I’m really sorry for what you’re going through, Brendan! I hope that it gets better! My brain fog went away. Stay hopeful.

• Bert November 3, 2015 at 8:18 pm Reply

Hi Lisa, I appreciate your quick reply.

I have tried some different coq10 supplements in high doses, but I have not tried mitoq. I’m not sure I can get it in Canada…

I’ve tried NAC and a number of different things but it just seems like nothing really helps at all. I read lots of reviews of how great certain things are, but it’s like my body doesn’t respond to anything anymore. Very frustrating…

I will listen to the pod cast you mentioned and go from there.

This site gives me hope, but after over 120 pills of levoquin /avelox/cipro sometimes I think I’m doomed… Hopefully age is on my side as i am only 27…

11. Jason November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm Reply

Proof that Fluoride damages the Mitochrondria, note this is one part in THIRTY million, not the “One PPM” “deemed” safe all those years ago. (they even note one part of 60 million was very similar)

Note, this video is VERY disturbing IMO

12. Carlos Almeida May 1, 2017 at 2:20 am Reply

Hello everyone! I’m so happy I’ve found this website. I’m a 29 years old male from Brazil and I’ve been floxed 2 months ago. My health is getting worse everyday and I’m using all my strenght to heal. I have many forms of toxicity symptoms (CNS, tendons, muscles, cronic fatigue and I have been diagnosed this week with arhytmia) and I’m struggling so hard to deal with them. It’s an unknown issue here in my country and there almost 0 information about floxing. I came across this (and many other articles) about the influence of FQ’s with mythocondrial and DNA damage and I’m learning very slowly.

I have a very important question. Which exams should I do to test mythocondrial and DNA damage? I’m reading a lot about MTHFR but my english may be an issue to understand it better. Also, which medical specialty should I consult to ask for these exams? I want to take a full test of everything that may have happened to my body as soon as possible because I feel like deteriorating day by day. I’m very scared about this heart issue because all of my family have cardiac problems, even my younger sister who happens to have 5 different problems. Also, my family members struggles with morbid obesity and thyreoid problems and maybe all of these are related to MTHFR, right? I live alone 3.000km away from family and friends in a small city and it makes even worse.

Thanks Lisa and Jason for these great informations that I’ve found in here!

• L May 1, 2017 at 7:17 am Reply

sorry to hear you had to join our club. (btw I think I recall reading a post from someone else from Brazil a while back.)

I do not know of a good test for mitochondrial damage. I have read about a pretty invasive muscle biopsy test, but do not know how good that is. There is however a test for MTHFR which is a genetic mutation that you may or may not have (blood test.)

It may be difficult, but your best bet doctor-wise would be an integrative/functional MD or a naturopath. Whoever you see, I would take copies of the “dear doctor” letters: https://floxiehope.com/tag/dear-doctor-letter/ What helped me the most were nutrient IVs if you can find anyone give them (high dose vitamin C, Myers, phosphatydalcholine, H2O2) Ozone therapy also is known to help.

You want to avoid fluoride, GMOs, gluten, NSAIDs, all steroids. Take a good probiotic (gut damage effects pretty much everything going on in the body); magnesium (orotate, taurate or l-threonine are good) 600-800 mg; vitamin E; eat a clean (organic when possible) diet with lots of vegetables and fruit. Look through past posts…lots of good info.