The Hardest Topic – Suicide

Suicide Fluoroquinolone Toxicity

People who are in pain, and depressed, and desperate for help, and who have had everything that they cherish taken away from them–their health, their mental health, their job, their family, their money, their stability, and more–often reach out to me. I am happy to do what I can to help. I tend to be at a loss for words when people are suicidal though. I don’t know the right thing to say or do when people are considering ending their life. I can tell them that I’m so sorry for all the pain and anguish, and I am–I truly feel sorrow. I can tell them that it will change and it will pass–but those things sound trite when a person is in constant pain and they’re wondering if the pain will ever end, or when a person is feeling like their life is already over, or when a loved one leaves them because they don’t understand.

I tell people to reach out to suicide prevention counseling services. I think they should. If you are suicidal as you read this, please, please reach out to a suicide prevention counseling service. Here are a couple:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

1-800-273-8255

IM Alive

1.800.SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)

The people who answer those phone lines are trained, and they know what to say to help you to get through to tomorrow. Please reach out to them if you need to.

I’m not particularly good at helping people who are suicidal because I was never “there.” There were moments in my fluoroquinolone toxicity journey when I thought that life as I knew it was over, but I never considered ending my life.

There are other floxies who have gone through such pain and anguish (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual) that they did consider ending their life. There are floxies who have gotten through periods of being suicidal who can tell you from first-hand experience that it passes and gets better. There are even people who were severely floxed, and suicidal, who have recovered. They truly understand how horrible it can be, and they also know that it gets better.

I think that it would be helpful to floxies who are currently scared and suicidal to talk to people who have been through what they’re going through. If you’re a person who has gone through the worst of fluoroquinolone toxicity, who is willing and able to talk to other floxies who are in this horrible position, please let me know through the Contact link above, and I will put you in touch with people who can use your empathy and guidance when they reach out through this site.

If we can work together to help people who are suicidal because of the effects of fluoroquinolones, maybe we can help to save some lives.

Please, friends, use the resources that are available if you are feeling suicidal. The hotlines mentioned above are open 24/7.

And please know that there are people who understand, who have been “there,” who have made it through to a better place, and who are thankful that they lived to see the better place. Hang in there, keep going, it gets better, one step at a time, you can do this.

A few floxies have lost their lives recently, and my heart truly aches for their loved ones. To everyone who is grieving for the loss of a loved one, I am truly sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts. My deep-felt condolences to you and your loved ones.

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “The Hardest Topic – Suicide

1. jwinn November 3, 2015 at 9:14 am Reply

Thank you. I have been there….When I have bad episodes, I still sometimes go to that place. No one truly understands the pain involved unless they have experienced it.

• Lisa Bloomquist November 3, 2015 at 9:16 am Reply

Very true. I think it helps to have support from others who understand.

I’m so sorry for your pain! I’m glad that you have made it through.

Hugs,

2. kris t November 3, 2015 at 9:53 am Reply

Lisa, that is so weird that this was on my computer today as in the past couple of days, I, too have been having suicidal thoughts. The double vision and back pain are starting to take their toll. Plus I got off your website because it was making me more depressed hearing others being depressed. I will call those numbers before ending it all. I promise. Kris T

• Lisa Bloomquist November 3, 2015 at 9:59 am Reply

It wears on you, I know it does, and I acknowledge it. Please keep fighting, Kris.

In my journey I did a lot of spiritual work that helped me immensely. I encourage you, and everyone else, to reach out to religious and spiritual practitioners, and to start practices that resonate with you.

I wrote this in another post a while back. I hope it helps –

“You are sick. You are not broken. You are not less. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You have no reason to hide. You are loved. Even if you are sick and scared and can’t move or think, you are loved. You are loved by your friends and family. Even if you don’t feel the love from them, don’t believe the love from them, you are still loved because love is within you. You are loved. You just are.”

Hugs,

3. Lynda Smith November 3, 2015 at 12:45 pm Reply

I am 73 years old and still suffering from the painfully debilitating and disabling effects of the ciprofloxacin that was prescribed to me negligently and in error seven and a half months ago. The results of the culture confirmed that I never had an infection in the first place, nor was I ill.Up until that time I was active and dancing at an advanced level every day which I had enjoyed for over twenty-five years. Ear ringing, eye burning, muscle-ligament-tendon-joint pain, tendonitis, peripheral neuropathy, muscle twitching and burning, popping-cracking joints, severe back and hip pain, and in short, widespread body pain is what I have been experiencing each day of my life. Needless to say, anxiety, depression, and insomnia are commonplace as is extreme fatigue. Some days are far worse than others, and ongoing visits to the doctor have been fruitless and of no avail. I am completely alone as my husband died on our 47th anniversary; it is exceedingly difficult not having any family to turn to for emotional support. Nonetheless, in my darkest moments, I am finding things to be grateful for: the onset of cool weather, wonderful and supportive friends, four loving cats, a nice home, healthy food and, this is important, no other illnesses to be coping with, such as cancer, heart disease, or diabetes. I am grateful for this website, ‘Floxie Hope’ as well and Lisa Bloomquist’s very informative postings and words of support. It is interesting to note that just last evening at Walmart, a female employee, saw I was limping and in pain, and compassionately offered to help me. But get this: later on at Whole Foods, a male employee who had worked there for years commented on how happy I always seem! So there you are – no matter what, we can always develop the habit of happiness! I can’t say that I was ever suicidal, but I can certainly understand how someone can feel that way. The hardest thing for me to understand is how after a few better days, the symptoms can come roaring back with a vengeance. And why is it that I supposedly am not back at square one considering the severity and intensity of symptoms. Lisa, I wanted to know how you like your new position; it was a very courageous move for you to make in light of the fact that you were happy at your then current job and even more so, that fluoroquinolone toxicity had the power to zap you of your self-confidence. Your posting of an official name by the FDA for this constellation of symptoms, ‘Fluoroquinolone Associated Disability’ was most significant as was the revelation that fluoroquinolones are no more effective than placebos at treating sinusitis, bronchitis, and bladder infections. My mission in life is forewarning others of the dangers of fluoroquinolones; I hold out my necklace pendant for them to read, NO FLUOROQUINOLONES. I hope that someday I will be able to join the ranks of others who have been floxed and who are now much better and functioning optimally in the world.

• Lisa Bloomquist November 9, 2015 at 9:55 am Reply

Thank you for your wise and beautiful words, Lynda! Our connections in this world are valuable and beautiful. Even when they are difficult to see, they are still there.

Huge hugs,

4. Dawn LeBrun November 5, 2015 at 7:31 am Reply

I am a Floxie, I have never been on these sites as my Doctor labeled it Fibro, I have received much support from those groups in the last three years, but it’s not the same, their pain is very real just as mine is. I too have had suicidal thoughts, more like… I KNOW WHY PEOPLE DO IT!!! I can fully understand it. I will not do it because it’s against my religious beliefs. But I still, when I am hurting and crying, wish I was dead or I would die. I didn’t know about this page, maybe now I will be able to understand my poisoning better. Because I believe I was poisoned and I didn’t even have a sinus infection, I am a 50 year old woman and had Fifths disease which I had never heard of. But the second Dr I went to called me a medical mystery because of the many things that were going on from the leviquin which he never would admit or conclude on record. They put me through hell, biopsys, prednisone, (which was a joke) allergies, hives, and so many other things. I finally found a naturopath that has helped me the most and showed me what floroquinolin poisoning was. Told me to take magnesium and exercise if I could. She basicly has limited knowledge on this as when it happened to me it was very new to the diagnosis field. No MD will admit it to me. Or treat it. They still treat it as Fibro which they are barely recognizing either. Thank You for doing something. I am trapped in this tomb of a body, and I have a few good days. Some days I feel worse yet. Diet changes I believe help but my memory comes and goes and I can’t do it alone. All of my “friends” have disappeared because they don’t understand. I can’t say I blame them because they wouldn’t understand unless they have it and I don’t want anyone to have to exist like this EVER!!! You are all in my prayers. Alive and surviving barely.

• Jason November 5, 2015 at 9:03 am Reply

Great article and ideas Lisa, so important. I believe (in my non-licensed opinion) that the drug itself actually has ways of causing these thoughts, and I don’t mean through pain and suffering which of course can do it all on its own as you mention, but also through actual Mental “Disturbances” and Imbalances from the drug itself; like Neural Transmitter imbalances, Hormonal imbalances, CNS damage and other such ways it can manifest, which we know the drug can induce and these things are known to cause Depression (especially combined and coupled with the pain etc). It is such a common reaction that Floxies get, even in people with “relatively minor” reactions, so I think for ‘some’ people its important to remember that these thoughts can crop up from the drug and its effects in the body, and like Lisa has mentioned for most people they will pass as the body heals.

• Jason November 5, 2015 at 9:07 am Reply

Hi Dawn. Sorry to hear about all this, very glad you found a Naturopath who is helping, you will find a wealth of information and caring people here if you explore this site, and much support is available here too. The Stories here are a great place to start, there are these great articles too, resources to read, and even just viewing the comments on the main page and older pages can be very helpful, there is a lot of hope and potentially helpful things someone can do, I hope you find all that and healing too.

• Lisa Bloomquist November 9, 2015 at 10:05 am Reply

Hi Dawn,

I apologize for my delayed response! I’m sorry for not getting back to you sooner!

The people on this site have “been there.” It’s nice to have people who understand what you’re going through.

I’m glad too that you found a Naturopath to help you through this journey. We all need help in going through this journey. It’s not something that can be done alone.

Do you have any friends who have been through a chronic, mysterious illness? If not, perhaps some can be found? http://www.meetup.com is active in my area, and they have groups for people who have mysterious illnesses. Most of them have CFS/ME and fibro, but the people with those illnesses almost certainly will have some empathy for what you’re going through. Are you a member of the facebook Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Group? If not, I encourage you to join – https://www.facebook.com/groups/floxies/.

Hugs to you!

5. C. November 6, 2015 at 12:12 pm Reply

I don’t know if this hell get any better, Lisa. Sure it does for some.

I think in my case death is the only option.

I took an obscene amount of FQ for a non-existent issue and weeks later I was prescribed topical steroids. This was less than a year ago. Now i’m broken, alone and can’t come in terms of what has happened to me. I have tried suicide twice, unfortunately I wasn’t successful.

All I can see is dark and painful future that i should never have.
    My mind can’t deal with this anymore.

The groups on the are filled with folks that never recover or only get worse.
    I fear that this is going to be my end.

If this crap don’t end my life, I will.

• Lisa Bloomquist November 9, 2015 at 8:34 am Reply

Dear C,

There is no excuse for the delay in my response. I can only say that I am sorry and hope that you accept my apology.

Please, please, please maintain hope.

You were poisoned and it truly is horrible–there is no denying that. The pain is horrible and so are the mental/emotional symptoms. It is as if these drugs rob us of our self.

Your self is not gone though. Your soul has not been stollen from you. It’s still in you. You are more than your physical, or even your mental, abilities.

Meditating and going to self-help and religious services helped me to see that I was still “there.” Those things helped me to realize my strength too. It’s in there for you too.

Please keep going. One day at a time, one step at a time. You’ll get stronger as you go.

Know that people have recovered after a long time of struggling and suffering. They are happy to have kept on going.

Please call the hotline numbers listed above if you are considering ending your life.

I am also happy to put you in touch with a floxie who has offered to help. Please contact me through the “contact” link above and let me know if that’s something you want me to do.

Best regards,

6. Lynda Smith November 6, 2015 at 9:22 pm Reply

Dear C. Please don’t do this; having you here is so very important to all of us Floxies. We all desperately need one another. In your darkest moments, please remember you are deeply loved. Try to think in terms of hanging on just a little bit longer. I have been in the depths of depression, but when someone sees me in pain and limping and holds the door open for me, for that moment I know I am supported. I have felt a renewed closeness with others as they tell me what happened to them. Paula, a friend – ruptured tendon; Linda, who I just met today – hospitalized with anaphylactic shock after just two pills. You see, we must stick together – we’re all we have. Please post often because I care about you. Having a precious and needy animal to love can be very healing – they love unconditionally. Remember our bodies want us to be healthy and every moment are doing everything possible to heal us. I too am alone; in many ways our challenges can be greater; I think of the little train going up the hill chugging and chugging saying, “I think I can, I think I can.” Lynda

7. Andy September 16, 2016 at 12:40 am Reply

I thought I had dodged the suicide bullet as I havent really had much anxiety or depression,I am three months out and in severe muscle and tendon pain all over my body head to toe.I fail to see how people actually recover from this by taking vitamins and changing their diet ,I am trying hard but the pain 24/7 is wilting me,every day another muscle ,joint and tendon gives way.Walking is complete agony,even sitting down hurts
    I am about to lose my job and my marriage is really suffering.Every morning I now wake up and just dont want live anymore

• Lisa September 16, 2016 at 12:53 am Reply

I’m so sorry for everything you are going through! Please know that like all of life’s hardships, this will ebb and flow and there will be good times and bad, and wisdom and lessons. Know that there are people who want to support you. Know that there are many who care. Try to have hope and patience. Get help wherever you can. Call the hotlines. Hang in there. You can get through this.

8. Michael Alan February 6, 2017 at 5:54 pm Reply

Been getting harder and harder. Seems like no end in sight. This past week was actually pretty good. Now I have caught step and it is killing me. All my symptoms are at least 10x worse. I am terrified of taking drugs so going to see if it will run it’s course.