Loss of Faith in the Healthcare System

Healthcare Stocks2

After getting “floxed,” I lost a lot of faith in the medical system.

I used to think that the medical system, as a whole, was trustworthy. I knew that the system was imperfect, but I thought that most of the problems had to do with cost and insurance, and that drugs generally were well understood and regulated, and that they did more good than harm.

Getting hurt by a prescription drug, an antibiotic no less, shook my faith in the medical system. Researching fluoroquinolones and other drugs made me realize how little anyone knows about how drugs work, and why they sometimes don’t work, and I further lost faith in the system.

As I witnessed a prescription drug causing people to be chronically ill, I started to wonder if many of the chronic illnesses (autoimmune diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, mysterious diseases like ME/CFS and fibromyalgia, diabetes, etc.) were due to the cellular destruction inflicted by prescription drugs. Many prescription drugs, not just fluoroquinolones, wreak havoc on the microbiome, mitochondria, neurotransmitters, and more–and problems with those systems have been linked to many of the chronic diseases of modernity.

I saw that the only thing that the FDA is inclined to do about adverse drug reactions is to increase the size of the warning labels–as if anyone reads the warning labels and as if this is actually a solution. I noted that thousands of people are killed by prescription drugs each year, and I lost faith in the FDA’s ability to regulate the pharmaceutical industry.

The 21st Century Cures Act, a piece of legislation that is going through Congress right now, is a thinly-veiled give-away to the pharmaceutical industry that decreases drug regulation at a time when it needs to be increased. Congress is not only failing to recognize the problem of prescription drugs hurting and killing people, it is actively encouraging the pharmaceutical industry to do more of the same. I didn’t have a lot of faith in the U.S. Congress before I got “floxed,” but I have even less faith in them now. (If you want to read my take on the 21st Century Cures Act, I wrote about it in the post, “The 21st Century Cures Act” Is On Its Way – Here’s Why You Haven’t Heard About It that was published on Collective Evolution on 7/7/15.)

I wonder how many other people there are like me–who no longer trust the medical system after being hurt by it. I suspect that most (but certainly not all) people who get hurt by prescription drugs no longer view the system as a whole as trustworthy or credible.

Once a system loses credibility, many people opt out of it and seek alternatives. If the healthcare system loses credibility in the minds of most people, and most people opt out of it, it will, eventually, collapse. I have no idea when this will happen, or even if there are enough people who think like me that it will happen. We shall see.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are currently being hurt by adverse drug reactions, and more people will have to get hurt for a crash to happen. I don’t hope for a crash. I hope that the regulators (the FDA) start doing their jobs and that the pharmaceutical companies start upholding their credos and start having morals. I wish I saw that happening, but I don’t. Maybe we will reach a tipping point where it will happen–to be determined.

The healthcare industry is immense, and it is much more complicated than the sub-prime housing market that crashed in 2007-2008. However, I see some similarities between the sub-prime housing market crash and my assertion that the healthcare industry is going to crash (at some point–maybe). Those similarities are described in the post, The Healthcare System Collapse: Lessons from the Housing Market Crash and “The Big Short” that was published on Hormones Matter yesterday – 2/4/16. (This post started as an intro to the Hormones Matter post, and it just morphed into its own post. Please read and share The Healthcare System Collapse: Lessons from the Housing Market Crash and “The Big Short” – Thanks!)

I foresee a crash in the medical system because I’ve lost faith in it. Maybe I’m wrong and other people will respond differently from how I have after getting hurt by the medical system. Maybe I really am “rare” and other people won’t get hurt by the medical system. Or, maybe drugs will get more and more dangerous because of lack of regulation, and more and more people will get hurt by pharmaceuticals and they will lose faith in the system just like I did, and the demise of the system as we know it will arrive. To be determined, and we shall see. Hopefully I’m just being too pessimistic and the FDA will start doing a better job at protecting people from dangerous drugs. I really do hope that occurs.

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

31 thoughts on “Loss of Faith in the Healthcare System

1. Cindy Meredith February 5, 2016 at 8:19 am Reply

I agree with you Lisa. It’s hard to trust when there I are so much conflicting information. I do know other I absolutely needed the strong antibiotic that I was prescribed because my infection was severe and complicated. I did not appreciate being blown off when the side effects happened and I needed help. My doctor is good friend and so she did listen and now she does not prescribe fluoroquinolone drugs as quickly as before.

• Lisa Bloomquist February 5, 2016 at 1:12 pm Reply

I’m glad that your doctor / friend is listening to you! It is beyond frustrating when adverse-reactions aren’t acknowledged. If they’re going to say, “all drugs have side-effects” (as if that’s okay), and “see your doctor if ___ occurs,” they should at least acknowledge documented effects when they occur. Sadly, I think that ego enters the picture and many doctors go into denial or blow-off mode when they don’t know what to do (or when they fear that they will be sued).

2. Cindy Meredith February 5, 2016 at 8:20 am Reply

Sorry for the many typos in my post. I was hurrying between classes. Thanks for your comments as well.

3. Elizabeth Lo February 5, 2016 at 8:29 am Reply

Thank you for writing this very important article, Lisa! Pharmaceutical drugs and allopathic medicine has single-handedly destroyed my family. Not only fluoroquinolones and other antibiotics, but also benzodiazepines, antidepressants, amphetamines, antipsychotics, statins, NSAIDs, steroids,….I wish I had known earlier.

• Lisa Bloomquist February 5, 2016 at 1:12 pm Reply

I am so sorry, Elizabeth! I hope for healing for you and the rest of your family as well!

4. AnnetteC February 5, 2016 at 9:02 am Reply

Thanks for this excellent piece, Lisa! I am right there with you in not trusting the health care system at all! Not only did I have a horrific adverse reaction to a prescription drug, but I also learned that there is pretty much no help from the medical community once they harm you. They don’t have the answers, and sadly, they are not even looking for answers!

I, too, now believe that many of today’s modern ailments have been caused by prescription medications.

I am now caring for my elderly parents and finding that if you or someone who loves you isn’t there to advocate for your own health, your health can be quickly stolen by doctors who are too busy and/or arrogant to listen and learn.

It is absolutely appalling to me to see how little doctors know about the drugs they prescribe, and to watch the FDA doing nothing about the dangerous drugs that are out there. Years ago, doctors seemed to have been more knowledgeable about drugs…perhaps because there were fewer drugs out there. And, the FDA was more trustworthy. Now, money talks and corruption and ignorance are everywhere.

• Lisa Bloomquist February 5, 2016 at 1:13 pm Reply

Indeed, Annette. It’s a sad state of affairs. Thank you very much for your insight!

5. Lisa Bloomquist February 5, 2016 at 9:49 am Reply

A couple of additions:

People further lose faith in the system when they go to doctors asking for help with their complex condition, and the doctors can’t help them. It’s sad and disheartening when it is realized that they know how to break you, but they don’t know how to fix you.

Also, I didn’t throw out the baby with the bathwater when I first got sick. Getting sick didn’t fully make me lose faith in the system. RESEARCHING made me fully lose faith in the system. I came to the horrifying realization, through reading a lot of journal articles, that no one really knows how these drugs work, why they sometimes don’t work, or what the long-term consequences of them are.

The whole thing is sad, it really is.

• Debs August 19, 2016 at 1:18 am Reply

Indeed, & it is not just the allopathic drugs but EVERY part of the allopathic healthcare system. it is ONLY researching that really it brings it home just HOW vulnerable ‘ we the people ‘ REALLY are, and by this I mean researching in GREAT depth. Most people, even if they believe they have researched thoroughly, they actually have not dug deep enough, & they often also do not look into the history of a subject in enough depth, right back to the source.

One of the most important human ‘ failings ‘ which will stop people forming the most accurate picture, & reaching the most accurate conclusion when researching a subject, is that most people actually research without a TRULY open mind, yet they think they do. Instead they more often than not will self censor ( & this can actually be conscious OR subconscious ), They do not explore EVERY aspect, as to do this includes ALSO researching in DEPTH the opposite to what they personally believe is the truth, the opposite opinion, the things they 100% do NOT believe, & 100% disagree with, & this also includes the beliefs people hold they themselves might think are too ‘ way out there, crazy conspiracy theories ‘

This is imo actually a VERY big mistake ..

Personally, I will ALWAYS research ALL sides, & also the FULL history of ANY subject I am researching, no matter HOW much I might disagree & hold the opposite view / opinion , because logically this is the ONLY way I can ever get the FULL picture on a given subject, & also reach the most accurate conclusion, the one closest to the truth ( bearing in mind how much is withheld ), I of course just CANNOT do this, if part of the ‘ story ‘ is missing .

I could not agree with you more here Lisa , Over my 16 years of looking into SO many aspects of allopathic ‘ care ‘ I can honestly say with hand on my heart that to go the allopathic route is invariably one of the most dangerous roads to travel .

• Lisa August 19, 2016 at 6:03 am Reply

Debs, did you see this fascinating post about the history of hormonal birth control? https://www.hormonesmatter.com/feminist-crusty-old-reporter-102-year-old-man/ I agree with you that we need to look at the whole history of a drug, and listen to past dissenters, to get the full picture of what is going on. I have not, that I know of, been specifically hurt by hormonal birth control and I am not opposed to it on the surface. Still, when I actually listen to patients who have been hurt by it, or look at the history as put in posts like that one, I start to see that there is more to it than meets the eye, and my faith in its safety is lost.

6. Linda February 5, 2016 at 9:51 am Reply

You are NOT being pessimistic—you are being realistic. My faith in the medical care (and I use that term loosely system is close to zero. My faith in congress is almost as low. I have now written to at least a half dozen about the whole FLQ problem, the lack of knowledge of the doctors, the fraud at the FDA…and not ONE response. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, Lisa—except I do wish for a collapse of the system. I think that is the only way the decades of fraud, corruption and abuse will be exposed.

• Lisa Bloomquist February 5, 2016 at 1:14 pm Reply

You may be right – the entire system may need to collapse for those in power to realize that it needs to change. Unfortunately, that will hurt a lot of people. 😦

• Elizabeth Lo February 5, 2016 at 1:31 pm Reply

Those in power know already.

7. Lynda Smith February 5, 2016 at 10:33 am Reply

Without question the health care system is corrupt; thank you for presenting it as it is, Lisa. And . . . I’d like to say that you write beautifully.

8. Kathy February 5, 2016 at 1:20 pm Reply

When we understand that even medical schools are standardized to train docs to depend on drugs for nearly all of our physical and mental issues, with the cooperation of insurance companies that only pay for traditional docs and drugs, then it seems inevitable that gov’t (corp) health care/insurance will result in even more damaging drugs being prescribed to unknowing victims. There will be fewer and fewer choices and I can even see more “required” drugs same as required vaccinations.

9. cheryl holseberg February 5, 2016 at 6:17 pm Reply

Your story is my story… my sentiments exactly.. very very well spoken thank you for all you do Lisa

10. Eileen February 5, 2016 at 6:40 pm Reply

I had very little faith in the system before being flowed, now I have none.

• Linda February 5, 2016 at 7:00 pm Reply

You and me both Eileen. Zero, zip, nada.

• Eileen February 5, 2016 at 8:37 pm Reply

Floxed* (hate autocorrect)

11. Barbara February 6, 2016 at 4:42 am Reply

I live in Spain half an hour inland from Alicante in a spanish town. It’s very difficult for me as my spanish is not up to scratch. I was told I was the first one to be floxed, if I was how did they know what happened to me in the rheumatology department. After being diagnosed I was just left to my own devices. Loose faith? I will NEVER trust these so called doctor’s EVER again. It’s been 16months now and although I am much better through healing myself through the protocol in “The Levaquin toxicity solution” I still have problems with really heavy legs and breathlessness.
    I have been treated like I am an idiot by so called specialists who have the nerve to call themselves Doctors . There is an arrogance here that “they are God” and wo betide you if you dare question their competance. If I was in my own country ( England ) I would be screaming from the rooftops to all and sundry. As it is I can’t even get a scan here to access the damage to my tendons etc. I am 72 years and this has completely ruined my retirement.
    It seems reading everyone’s story that this programme of Arrogance from so called health professionals is world wide. Maybe there are good Doctors out there but I am yet to meet one here.
    I am more angry because of the way I have been treated with so much disrespect than I am about me being floxed.
    In spite of everthing I consider myself fortunate that it wasn’t worse compared to some people.
    I wish all my fellow floxies a speedy recovery and I want to say a HUGE THANKYOU to you Lisa for everything that you do. I truly believe if there were not people like you that take the time and energy to help other’s in this situation, we would all be completely lost.

• Linda February 6, 2016 at 11:01 am Reply

Couldn’t agree more about the arrogance of doctors and also the debt of gratitude to Lisa. I picked up a few tidbits from old news articles and the PBS documentary, but it was on Lisa’s site that I found the post of someone who lived nearby and got her ND info. I just received Dr Jay Cohen’s book in the mail, and to say he was a loss to the community is an understatement. He talks about how many decades it has been going on, he gives individual stories and he discusses how OVERLOOKED it is by the medical community. Every physician in the world should have a copy of this book.

12. alfachemistry March 18, 2016 at 12:55 am Reply

Clearly, there are enough reasons to do so for many disease issues are still affecting people’s health. In terms of current healthcare system, it should focus on the primary healthcare reform, in order to avoid the inequitable and inefficient situation. However, we should still believe more effective technologies will be used to change the situation.

13. Barbara Smith April 15, 2016 at 3:04 am Reply

I got closer 2-2-16. I’ve been following treatment with my NP. Bowen therapy and Glucosamine&chondroitin by Thorne and Thiocid-300 by Thorne, foot bath am and PM with Epson salt then coat feet in caster oil wear old socks. Treatment has helped alot with the pain. The pain returns if I am on my feet for more than a couple hours. I will never go to a medical Doctor again my trust is zero just like it is for the government. Pay for Insurance because it’s the law receive poor medical treatment for all.

• Linda April 15, 2016 at 9:26 am Reply

I’m with you Barbara, The only doctors I will see will be naturopaths or integrative docs. What a waste insurance is for me!

14. Barbara Smith April 15, 2016 at 3:05 am Reply

Closed sorry

15. Barbara Smith April 15, 2016 at 3:07 am Reply

I’m trying to type F L O X E D but it keeps coming up some other word wtf?

16. Barbara Smith April 15, 2016 at 3:15 am Reply

I normally check out every drug before taking it, I didn’t for this one because it was an antibiotic and I never thought of an antibiotic as being poison. I am almost 60 retired now I’m damaged. The only thing that I know is I will not go to a medical doctor again ever. I’m not giving the medical industry another dime. The insurance only gets money because Obama forces us to pay for our own demiss with a healthcare plan we don’t want that isnt worth shit.

17. Carol L August 18, 2016 at 6:44 pm Reply

patient beware! I couldn’t agree with you more on what used to be healthcare. I too am a victim of Levaquin and Avelox but after some time my body finally recovered. 10 minutes after swallowing one Avelox, I had a full-scale panic attack and never had one previously in my life! I knew as soon as I swallowed that pill that something was wrong, but my doctor insisted that the upper respiratory infection I had causes panic attacks and it wasn’t the Avelox that caused it. I insisted he put that antibiotic on my records as an allergen so no one ever gives it to me again! I knew the pill was what caused my panic attacks. Those attacks lasted for nearly 5 months from ONE dose of Avelox!! The hospital put me on Levaquin after having kidney stones removed and 21 days later my knee was ruptured. If you react to one fluoroquinolone, you’ll have reactions to all of them and the hospital should have known that. I wish I’d known that at the time, but I learned the hard way with crippling side effects and horrible reactions to both of them.
    There is no safe healthcare in this country anymore – it’s having your doctor try to prescribe one drug after another, or give you this vaccine or that shot – and I’ll see you in 4 months so I can suck more medicare money from you even if you feel fine. The whole system is corrupt and there are no signs of any improvement when your elected officials are in it just for themselves, Greed rules in this country today unfortunately. I never allow any doctor to inject me with anything, and as long as I eat right, I feel fine. Should I ever need an antibiotic in the future, it will be penicillin or nothing.

• L August 18, 2016 at 7:24 pm Reply

True on all counts. That’s why it is so important to write people…news anchors, magazine editors, attorneys…anyone who might listen. I just heard a story about a girl losing her hair from Wen shampoo and the FDA said how CONCERNED they were. Sure—because the makers of Wen are not wealthy enough to buy them off. So so corrupt.I am done with allopaths unless they are integrative. They are sheep.

18. Brenda Joyce February 26, 2017 at 3:25 pm Reply

I agree with you 100%. I was given Cipro in the hospital through an IV without even being given a paper with the side effects of this toxic drug. I later began taking it at home after being released and had severe reactions and hallucinations from it. I learned of the side affects after reading the literature from the pharmacy. Thankfully I stopped taking it after 4 days and after about 3 weeks I seem to be ok. Although sometimes the drug can cause adverse affects many months later. I wonder how many people are given it in the hospital and never have the opportunity to know what it might do to them. So many people are disabled by this and other drugs. The system is failing us. Thank you for your story and I pray that you might get completely well again.