The Risk in the Remedy

remedy

For better or for worse, there is no one-size-fits-all method for recovery from getting floxed. Some people are helped by supplements, others can’t tolerate them, or even feel worse when taking them. Some people are helped by acupuncture, others think acupuncture is a waste of time and money. Some people are helped by physical therapy, others aren’t. Some people are helped by specific diets, others feel better when they don’t restrict what they eat. Some people are helped by nutritional IVs, others aren’t – and some people have even been hurt by them. As of right now, there is no right way to get through fluoroquinolone toxicity. There is no single supplement, or diet, or exercise, or practice, or IV, or food that cures everybody.

Even though we are lacking a specific cure for fluoroquinolone toxicity, there are people who recover. Each recovery journey is different, and the differences between the various recovery journeys can be hopeful or frustrating, depending on your perspective. The recovery stories on Floxie Hope (59 stories have been published so far) offer a tremendous amount of insight and information, and, more importantly, they offer hope. They let people know that recovery is possible, and hearing that other people have recovered is important for those currently going through the “flox bomb” going off in their body.

Because there is so little research into cures for fluoroquinolone toxicity, the information in the recovery stories and the support group forums is often seen as the only advice and guidance available to floxies. Though the recovery stories and comments on Floxie Hope (and the FB support groups) are intended to be helpful, and it is hoped that what helps one person can help another, it should be noted that everyone’s journey through fluoroquinolone toxicity is different, and what works for one person may not work for another. We all have different genes, different microbiomes, different hormone levels, different toxin loads, different viral loads, different liver function, different tolerances for each treatment, etc. There is no one-size-fits-all solution for fluoroquinolone toxicity, and what helps one person may not only not help another person, it may actually hurt them.

I encourage you to approach any and all remedies for fluoroquinolone toxicity with caution, thoughtfulness, and guidance from someone with an outside perspective or, even better, medical expertise.

Many floxies distrust doctors. It’s reasonable to distrust them – doctors played a role in poisoning each of us, then many people face denial and derision from doctors post-flox. But if you can find a doctor who you trust, who is open-minded, and who is willing to run multiple tests for you, his or her guidance can be incredibly valuable.

This disclaimer is posted at the bottom of each story on Floxie Hope:

** The story above is truthful, accurate and told to the best of the ability of the writer. It is not intended as medical advice. No person who submits his or her story, nor the people associated with Floxie Hope, diagnoses or treats any illness. The story above should not be substituted for professionally provided medical advice. Please consult your doctor before trying anything that has been mentioned in this story, or in any other story on this site. Please also note that people have varying responses to the treatments mentioned in each story. What helps one person may not help, and may even hurt, another person. It is important that you understand that supplements, IVs, essential oils, and all other treatments, affect people differently depending on the millions of variables that make each of us unique. Please use appropriate caution and prudence, and get professional medical advice.

People typically pay little attention to disclaimers, but I really want people to read and heed that one when they read the stories on Floxie Hope.

There is a lot of wonderful information on Floxie Hope, and each story is the 100% true story of the person who experienced/told/wrote it. They each shared their story to help others. But, for better or for worse, their story is not your story. We’re all different.

I certainly don’t want to discourage people from trying things that they think will be helpful in their recovery journey. I just want people to realize that we all react differently to different remedies, and that invasive and/or risky remedies should not be taken lightly.

The recommendations for fluoroquinolone toxicity recovery that people give can be broken up into three general categories–things that can’t hurt, things that are unlikely to do harm, and things that have some risk and can potentially do harm. It seems excessive to say that you need medical advice before doing the things that can’t hurt – like meditation or having a positive attitude. Likewise, for the things that are unlikely to hurt you, like changing your diet in a non-drastic way or taking epsom-salt baths, asking a doctor first is probably not necessary (in my opinion, but feel free to consult a doctor if you feel differently). But, for things that some people have reported being hurt by (and other people have reported that these things have helped them too – there’s that side as well) like nutritional IVs, essential oils, and even supplements, it’s probably best to consult with a doctor before going forward with those remedies.

Just…. be careful, my friends. We all want to get better, and it breaks my heart a bit when someone reports feeling worse after trying something mentioned on Floxie Hope. We’re all trying to get better and/or help others. Please just approach the remedies that have risk associated with them with caution…. and consult your doctor when necessary.

AnxietySummit4_small_group2016_v3

All of the recordings for The Anxiety Summit are available for purchase. I am one of the interviewees. 🙂

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

43 thoughts on “The Risk in the Remedy

1. Peter L. June 30, 2016 at 7:23 am Reply

I am a person that has been hurt by a glutathione iv. There is a body of thinking that says it can chelate mercury. Please use natural methods if at all viable. All of the many reports across the very many sites on the ‘net that refer to glutathione in my view need a clear bold warning that includes the word ‘potential harm’. Prior to the glut iv, I think there was a good chance of recovery, now there is little prospect. Where do I go now? You can heal without invasive treatments.

• L June 30, 2016 at 9:05 am Reply

So sorry to hear that Peter, but I want to point out that glutathione IS a natural remedy. It is the mother of all antioxidants, and something the body naturally produces. I wonder if there was a problem with the “supply” of it to the ND.

• Jason June 30, 2016 at 9:20 am Reply

Unfortunately many people have been hurt by Glutathione, Lisa knows of quite of few and I have seen quite a few as well. I used to think it was a good idea but I have seen too many people now get hurt by it

• Peter L. June 30, 2016 at 2:37 pm Reply

There are so many standard disclaimers that what is really needed is a clear warning adjacent to the story. Just one word of warning would have been sufficient. If people know about this, the information needs to be communicated. Not looking for a tussle.

2. tammyrenzi June 30, 2016 at 8:56 am Reply

This is a fantastic post, and I think the information it contains is ESSENTIAL for people to know. You’re SO right, Lisa. With so many “disclaimers” and “warnings” around, people do start to ignore them.

I was floxed in pre-Internet times…well, let’s just say very little information was available. Even so, I healed. Did I try some things that worked? Yes. Did I try some things that didn’t? Yes. Fortunately, they only made things temporarily worse.

I love how you broke the treatments down into levels of risk – and I hope that people will try the less-invasive first. As someone who did experience relief from Klonopin and Neurontin, I wish I had heard other’s advice about giving it time, trying MBSR and meditation, and eating healthy (including limiting caffeine and alcohol). I didn’t do those things early in my treatment. I was anxious and scared. I wanted relief and had to get back to work, just like everyone here.

Hindsight, right?

Thank you for taking time to restate this!

For those of you out there suffering, please know that many of us do heal. I did! I have some lasting and recurring symptoms, but I love my life and plan on dealing with whatever lasting effects I have by reading up on current practices in pain management (without drugs…such as Less Pain Fewer Pills which I will be getting in the mail tomorrow!) and practicing mindfulness/meditation, exercising (lightly and every day), eating healthy, and not catastrophizing because stress/anxiety makes it worse.

Also, I had two “meh” experiences with neurologists, but my new neurologist didn’t rush to meds. She found some vitamin deficiencies, and we’re treating them. She listens, even if she doesn’t buy into the Levaquin. I don’t have to convince everyone. I just want to feel better and did from taking the supplements that she said were low.

Sorry if you all read this and your eyes just fell out!

Best healing to all of you!

• L June 30, 2016 at 9:09 am Reply

Just wondered, after you said “she doesn’t buy into the levaquin,” if you showed her the most recent FDA warning from June 2016, regarding limiting its use and the many varied mutli-system side effects? As for myself, I am done with MDs for the most part. I have wasted to much time/breath trying to “convince them.”

• tammyrenzi June 30, 2016 at 11:17 am Reply

L, I totally hear you. No, I haven’t been to her lately or shown her that information. I’m just moving on myself and getting better with as few supplements as possible, a healthy diet, and daily walks, gentle yoga, and a bit of meditation.

3. SM June 30, 2016 at 8:57 am Reply

Good post, Lisa. It is also worth noting that many experienced floxies on FH and on the FB group feel that time and patience is the best weapon against FQT. I have read all the FH stories again and again, and I still believe that most people heal over time, not because of a particular supplement or treatment, but because of the time the body needs. I know there are exceptions. I myself have continued to try things despite this belief and despite almost no results from previous treatments. These previous treatments include IVs of glutathione and C (up to 60 grams), physical therapy, massage (ongoing for about 60 sessions), yoga, stretching and foam rolling, exercise, magnesium, B12, other Bs, D, ALA, ALCAR, folate, whey protein, NAC, electrolytes, gua sha, TENS, acupuncture, and probably a few others I’m forgetting.

I have collected, through my wife, hundreds of stories of recovery over the past while, and the overwhelming trend is not a quick fix of magnesium or C or IVs, but of time and fighting and struggling to get better. As you say, Lisa, everyone’s story is different. When we attempt therapies, we have to be aware of risks. I have become less concerned about the negative effects of these treatments as time has passed, simply because I am more willing to take chances and care less about hurting more. I think it’s particularly important to be cautious in the early and acute phase- our bodies are so out of whack then and I think that a negative reaction to treatment is not only more likely, but also more difficult for the person to handle. I was an emotional wreck for the first 6 months. When I reacted negatively to B12 (and couldn’t figure out the cause), it actually was worse than my flox symptoms in some ways!

Thanks for the post. I feel Debs has reiterated your message many times on FH. Be careful. Just because something made one person feel better doesn’t mean it will work for you or is harmless.

4. L June 30, 2016 at 9:00 am Reply

Well said, Lisa.

5. Jason June 30, 2016 at 9:18 am Reply

Yes an important article and note that people DO get hurt by “taking epsom-salt baths as well”, this should be in the “risk category”. FOOD has the power to hurt, most people (and even Doctors) don’t realize this and don’t know which ones have this power but it happens ALL the time.

There is no one cure, and what works for one may not work for another, every case has to be looked at separately etc just as you noted and people have to deal with their own specific problems and find things that work for them as well as address the usual culprits that most Floxies end up with like a HUGE Magnesium problem, GUT issue etc.

Linda do you remember when you said, “If anyone is going to figure this out, you can”? Drum Roll please……..Tada! 🙂 Okay so I don’t have every single answer, but I do believe I have most of them at this point (and more than anyone else out there no matter who you talk about) and I am comfortable in saying that, and I have been helping people to recover for quite some time now one-on-one (unfortunately once my wife left I was not able to do it for free any longer).

• L June 30, 2016 at 9:25 am Reply

Drum roll deserved! And since you mention epsom salt baths (I don’t have a tub, so that’s pretty much a game-changer for that) but I have often wondered if the fluoride in the water might negate the health benefits of the epsom salts?

• Jason June 30, 2016 at 9:33 am Reply

Thanks! It took quite some time and research that is for sure, a LOT of research and the background knowledge I already had which spans 10 years.

Well it surely doesn’t help in my opinion, especially when you are fully submerged in the hot water with pores widely open etc it is a worse exposure than the Shower for this reason I believe (and I found out putting Iodine in the water is a REALLY bad idea!)

People have had some severe reactions to Epsom Salt Baths (Debs had a REALLY bad one, plenty of others have too) and this is more due to the Sulfur, and even the Mag/Sulfur combo which is very detoxifying, and not everyone can handle that, some seem to have no issue with them but I always recommend a teaspoon to start no more and work up from there if you don’t notice any flare-up

• Susan January 7, 2017 at 12:06 am

So Jason how do you get better how would a person contact you to get better? Or pay you for advice? Would love to heal. Does anyone ever try to connect the possibility of why some people get sick and others don’t? It there a connection to Lyme diease? Since the symptoms over lap each other so much could it be that the ones who get flocked actually have underlying Lyme and the antibiotics cause herxing from the Lyme? I always wonder if there is a connection.

• L January 7, 2017 at 10:29 am

My integrative internist says that some are more likely to get sick because of a genetic mutation. But it is also thought that effects are cumulative, and at some point, pretty much anyone, given enough, would develop side effects. I had taken levaquin before with no side effects. But the Cipro did me in (also had with prednisone, which didn’t help.)

• tammyrenzi January 7, 2017 at 10:35 am

I had taken Tequin (now off the market) and Levaquin before with no issue. Then, a year or two later, I was prescribed Levaquin. Three was my magic number. I’m so much better now, but I wouldn’t take any of these medications again – even if my life depended on it.

• L January 7, 2017 at 10:54 am

I’m with you! In fact I have a great fear of all pharmaceuticals at this point. I take nothing for pain, and if I get sick, I go with oil of oregano. The only thing I take that is “chemical” is my thyroid medication. (And I’d get off that if I could!)

• Susan January 7, 2017 at 12:09 am

Also can cipro really cause a bomb of symptoms to go off a year and two months later? That’s is a long time from the antibiotics to symptoms? Really over a year?

• Debs January 7, 2017 at 2:19 am

One of the issues with the overlap between Lyme & floxing is that although we have lyme literate Drs many of these Drs are unfortunately also floxing illiterate, & thus we have many people in this bizarre parallel world we inhabit & that I have spent 27 years in who have sadly been floxed in this this way, in fact so many we have a specific group set up for these people.

The Lyme/flox waters of course can at times be very murky indeed due to the similarity & the bizarre presentation of symptoms, & there are many people out there who have been floxed from the FQ prescribed to treat their lyme disease walking around ( that’s if they still can of course ) who have no idea that their condition has now been compounded by the FQ topoisomerase inhibiting, failed chemo drug straight from hell masquerading as an ‘ antibiotic’ they have been prescribed to treat it .

As far as delay in appearance of floxing symptoms, after being around for almost as long as the FQs have, in my experience & opinion these can pop up many many months, potentially even longer after the prescription.
          As far as my own symptoms go, I still had new symptoms showing up on average up to around 18 months out after my various floxings, & in respect to further delayed stuff relating to specific damage to body systems, in my case the musculoskeletal system it was not until my 7th floxing that I developed noticeably to any really disabling degree tendon ligament cartilage etc damage, the connective tissue pain was there certainly, but this was not my most pressing issue, I had never ruptured a tendon for example, & I FELT quite stable in that area though definitely damaged, however, after my relapse from an epsom salts bath it seems to have disturbed something in this particular area in some way, & recently for some strange reason the degeneration of my connective tissues is seemingly starting to take on a life of its own.

Time passing by, along with avoiding those toxic chemicals in every way shape & form whether taken internally, via diet / allopathic drugs, whether they are used on us, or via the environmental route etc, as much as humanely possible, these are in my experience & opinion the biggest factors in noticing improvement / potentially eventually even FEELING recovered, & with time passing by being imho the biggest factor, however, nobody, whether they have been visibly / noticeably floxed or not, at a DNA/ mitochondrial cellular level actually gets out of taking a FQ unscathed, & I personally feel that although genetics have some part to play it is certainly not the whole story here, & if the lifespan of humans was not limited by our biology, that every person who continued to take courses of FQs would EVENTUALLY be visibly/noticeably floxed.

• Juzero July 5, 2017 at 6:30 am Reply

I don’t think is the epsom bath salt, is the water in general, after my poisoning with this evil medication I took a shower and my body hurt badly, so I start to take quick sponge baths, because I thought the water from my shower was contaminated but one day the rain catch me out side and after that I got again a horrible pain in all my body, but that bad effects from the water is going away as I start to be a little better, but I still don’t take a long shower, I do take a shower twice a week and fast and my body hurt less

6. Debs June 30, 2016 at 2:21 pm Reply

Indeed I did, & I am STILL trying to get back to my already debilitated ‘ normal ‘ from that train wreck & THIS reaction happened way back in the Autumn of last year . Since then I have also been diagnosed with Glaucoma ( I suspect FQs having a part to play in this too ) . I have on top of ‘epsomsalts-bathgate ‘ ( At least I don’t have fluoridated water, & my own ADR to epsom salts I feel has a lot to do with adrenal fatigue issues, ) subsequently been negatively affected from both the dilating drops AND the eyedrops, both preservative AND preservative free versions prescribed for this glaucoma . It has unfortunately sent me on a further downward spiral, particularly I feel in regards to the degenerative effects of the FQs on my connective tissues, & to be honest re treatment for my glaucoma I don’t right now know where to go from here, as for some conditions there is of course no natural effective treatment.

On top of this, I recently picked my cat up, & I thought I heard a pop. I am now in a lot of pain & I have a sneaking suspicion that my shoulder is now not doing too well either.
    I have to date avoided tendon rupture, In fact I did not actually experience tendon issues / pain noticeably until my most damaging floxing, however I am now wondering if due to just a few doses of glaucoma eyedrops, combined with ‘ epsomsalts-bathgate’ last year, perhaps my good luck re this particular ADR might just be running out.

Please be very careful with ANYTHING you wish to try, be that natural or otherwise. Keep in mind the FQs inhibition of the Liver P450 enzyme pathway, which can not only affect the metabolising of the various allopathic drugs , but some substances also , & most important of all, ALWAYS keep in mind that depending on your own unique biological make up, what can really help one or even many people, instead might injure YOU.

• L June 30, 2016 at 5:19 pm Reply

Oh Debs, that sucks. You know, I thought I had dodged the bullet joint wise, but last week my knee went out. MRI shows a meniscus tear, but since FLQ can destroy collagen, bone, etc I suspect it is behind this. (Esp since it is the same knee where I felt popping and crackling and zaps 7 or 8 months ago.) As for eye stuff—I wouldn’t doubt the connection. I still have floaters, blurred vision, little black dots, and was told I have early macular degeneratio and cataracts—neither of which was mentioned at my prior eye appointment which was just 6 weeks before the Cipro. I am currently trying something called vision clarity eye drops. there are a few brands out there, and they contain N-Acetylcarnosine. I do notice they include glaucoma on the list of things it is supposed to help. I am using in just one eye, the one that got hit really badly, and I think I have seem some improvement. It’s a lengthy process. 4 drops a day, and I have been using about 3 months. They say some improvement after three and most after 9. I know eyes are not something you want to screw around with, but you might look up NAC drops and read up–see what you think. Right now I am trying to find a new opthomologist who is more integrative. The one I saw after the Cipro struck kept denying that it was all from Cipro. Then I look him up on dollars for docs and discovered he took $25,000 from big pharma last year. Adios!

• Debs January 7, 2017 at 4:17 pm Reply

It sucks even more now I’ve found out I don’t have glaucoma after all L, saw another Dr as I was just not confident in that diagnosis who has now unlabelled me so thats yet another load of poison Ive been given for no good reason which has caused me further damage, though of course its good news I don’t right now have glaucoma, I was suspicious mainly due to the fact I found out where i live you are only allowed to be a glaucoma suspect for so many years & then they either have to treat you or discharge so I started asking questions & my records also did not tally with what i was being told ( another good reason to get hold of those records ) i was I suspect being treated preventively. Just makes me cross. however I will not be surprised if I end up with the real Mc coy eventually, as had close relatives who developed glaucoma, so will still be keeping up the regular eye examinations

• L January 7, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Ack. And I now have early stage macular degeneration post-floxing. It is just beyond comprehension, that they can unleash this toxin, totally ignorant of just how much damage it does or how to correct it, leaving lives in shambles, and still go on their merry way, cashing those billion dollar checks with no remorse

• Susan January 7, 2017 at 11:50 pm Reply

I do not get it I took cipro three years ago I am in so much pain still I don’t know how to heal I had bad costrochrantits at that start what’s weird is a year and two months later I got really bad teally bizarre symptoms throat pain elbow arm pain fatigue brain fog I can not wear sweaters. I hurt to clothes on the lists goes on and on. But I have a hard time accepting a whole year and two months I got worse? I was tested for Lyme and was positive in one band not sure what to do but I am soooooo tired of the pain

• L January 8, 2017 at 9:28 am Reply

Susan, I only had 4 pills (of course I also had been given prednisone at the same time…ugh) but you may or may not have actually had costocondritis. One of my doctors said “perhaps” I did but I think since doctors are so ignorant of the side effects, they just grasp at whatever they can. I suspect it was a combination of inflammation and nerve damage. I get sensations around my neck where it feels like I am being strangled at times, or it is numb at times. Again, I suspect nerve damage and perhaps mitochondrial damage. I have a hard time wearing a bra. It hurts. I also get the same sensation from wearing a seatbelt—however that has gotten better. Whereas before I literally could not tolerate it—I would hold it away from my body—now it is just uncomfortable. (I am two years out.) The IVs truly made a huge difference for me. I will also suggest something that was recently suggested to me by a new integrative internist. It is called agmaset and is supposed to help with nerve damage (I think perhaps it helps to rebuild?) Anyhow I cannot attest to its effectiveness because I am only a few weeks into using it and he suggested two to three months. It’s around $50 a bottle—not cheap—but it will have been worth it if it works. I really respect this doctor (who is also a Lyme specialist) and he said he has had great results from patients using it. Up to now, I am afraid I have just “toughed out” any pain because we shouldn’t take NSAIDs and I am just so leery of all pharmaceuticals now

• Susan January 13, 2017 at 9:26 pm

So I had to take Advil ibuprofen for my period three days ago for 24 hours because my cycle hurt so much Tylenol does it help but now I am hurting so bad with my arms and costrochrantis I took cipro 3 years ago. Would the Advil still cause problems like this after three years since the cipro I am in so much pain in my upper body it’s insane

• L January 13, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Yes Susan. You have to avoid NSAIDs….they exacerbate fluoroquinolone problems, just as steroids do. I know it sucks…I used to take advil all the time. Now I just tough out any pain. 😦 You might want to research natural pain killer. Not sure how good they are but worth a shot

• Susan January 13, 2017 at 10:25 pm

But when my cycle comes I don’t know what to take nothing helps but Advil but I am wondering if it is flaring me up. I am having a hard time accepting this that my body can not heal from THREE ago I burn burn burn

• L January 13, 2017 at 10:28 pm

I hear you. My cramps used to be so bad I had to go to the er and get demerol. I don’t think anyone knows for sure how long these side effects can keep causing problems. Someone had mentioned something about a pathway to the liver that no longer functions properly post floxing. IT is just so hard to tell with this poison.

• Susan January 13, 2017 at 10:32 pm

I can’t stand it anymore this a nightmare

• L January 13, 2017 at 10:46 pm

I know. It is abhorrent that so many people (hundreds of thousands if not millions) have been poisoned and neither bayer not J & J spend one penny to try to figure out how to fix us all. criminal.

• Susan January 13, 2017 at 10:54 pm

There has got to be a cure wonder how you and can connect would love to talk to someone one on one instead of posting I am old school

• Susan January 13, 2017 at 10:55 pm

I sleep with ice packs on at night seems to take the edge off can I post a place on here if a place I am looking to go to

• Juzero July 5, 2017 at 6:41 am Reply

Susan for pain take turmeric is very effective and natural for pain, I got from Costco, also available in amazon, I take 2 when my period is about to start, good luck in your recovery

7. Chris June 30, 2016 at 5:00 pm Reply

Thank you Lisa for all your help & advise. You’ve helped time & again. Almost 2 years since being floxed, still dealing with flare ups that just appear at their own whim but I AM getting better each day & I WILL get better. I’m better than I was 2 years ago & I’m better than yesterday!

8. Goody July 1, 2017 at 6:49 am Reply

Is a cortisone injection into joint (thumb) not a good idea either? I have tendinitis in both Achilles and both thumbs/hands, right side worse than left. I had a cortisone injection in left thumb (trigger thumb) 2 weeks before Cipro. After Cipro right thumb/hand went ballistic and is so extremely painful. I wonder if the Cortisone prior to Cipro precipitated the reaction or it’s coincidental. But since I already have arthritis and compromise to my thumb on right I wonder if it will get better.What to do, what to do…..

• L July 1, 2017 at 10:21 am Reply

Goody, cortisone is a BAD idea. Please avoid ALL steroids. There is even a black box warning regarding the use of fluorouquinolones with steroids. I am convinced I was so badly floxed because I was given prednisone at the same time as Cipro. If you want to get an injection I would suggest looking into prolozone injections. These are ozone and an anesthetic. (I have had them in my knees and so far so good.) It can take up to 6 months as it helps your own tissue heal.

• goodyweaver July 2, 2017 at 6:16 am Reply

Thank you for your reply. I’m over a month out from last dose of Cipro so was hoping that would make a difference. Prolozone is only given by alternative docs, right?

• L July 2, 2017 at 9:34 am

Some integrative MDs, Naturopaths, sports medicine doctors

• Juzero July 5, 2017 at 6:43 am

Prolozone is as dangerous as cipro, it give you the same bad side effects as ciprofloxacin, a friend took and her side effects are similar to cipro plus she got weight

• Juzero July 5, 2017 at 6:58 am

Hi , I am sorry, prolozone treatment are safe, I confuse it prolozone with prednisone, sorry, please Susan could you erase my last message so people don’t confuse, prednisone is dangerous corticoide as ciprofloxacin, PROLOZONE IS SAFE AND help with many illness, my Neiborn got better with prolozone treatment , she was floxed, she did the blood oxigenación theraphy and she says she got better almost immediately but after 2 years she took apple cider vinagre for kidney cleanse and she had a relapse for 2 weeks