August catch-up

I haven’t written a post for Floxie Hope in a while, and I apologize for that!

A lot has taken place in both my personal life and in “floxie” news since I last posted on this site. My thoughts on all matters personal and professional are a bit jumbled at the moment, so this post is just going to be a bit of a hodgepodge.

First and foremost, the FDA announced the warning label changes for fluoroquinolones. Please see “FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA updates warnings for oral and injectable fluoroquinolone antibiotics due to disabling side effects” for more information about this. The CBS News article, “Class of antibiotics gets stronger warning due to dangerous side effects” is a succinct article to show your loved ones too. I will write more about this important update shortly–just as soon as my life calms down. If you want my quick opinion–I think it’s a huge step in the right direction and I hope that it will keep many others from getting hurt by fluoroquinolones.

I haven’t written more extensively about the warning label changes because I’ve been busy in my personal life. The main thing I’ve been busy with is…

I got married!

Wedding Lisa Mark

The wedding was beautiful and perfect and I couldn’t be happier! 🙂

When I first got floxed I was scared that I wouldn’t ever be able to find love and acceptance. Those fears faded with time and healing, and this past weekend I was able to marry the love of my life, Mark. It was an incredible day and I look forward to years of happiness with my amazing husband!

In marrying Mark, I not only gained a wonderful husband, I also gained many new family members, including three amazing step-kids. Mark’s kids live in Michigan with their mom most of the time, but they have been staying with us in Colorado for the last several weeks. They’re wonderful kids, and I enjoy them immensely! I’m not sure if it makes me a good or bad step-mom to note this next thing, but, man, keeping up with kids is difficult! I’m semi-exhausted most of the time – and that’s with healthy, happy, good kids, and a fully recovered (from FQ toxicity) body and mind. People who parent while sick (with FQ toxicity or any other illness), or who parent sick kiddos, have my undying admiration and respect. I don’t know how you do it, but you do, and you deserve props and recognition for the effort involved.

Even though I’m semi-exhausted from wedding planning and execution, as well as from keeping up with the kids, I think that it’s a normal level of exhaustion for a 36-year-old doing what I’m doing. I have all the “spoons” I think I would have if I had never taken ciprofloxacin. I was more exhausted more frequently when I was going through the depths of fluoroquinolone toxicity. Over time (and I think that supplementing iron helped me immensely – though I don’t supplement it regularly any longer), my energy levels have returned to normal. I hope that my noting of getting my energy back helps others to have hope that their energy can return too.

Thank you to all in the floxie community who wished me well on my nuptials on facebook! It is great to have your support and well-wishes! I consider many in the floxie community to be friends, and each of you are appreciated!

If anyone reading this feels inclined, it would be wonderful to read a post about how fluoroquinolone toxicity has stolen your energy and/or ability to parent. If you want to write about that, Hormones Matter is always looking for new writers, and it’s a good site to tell personal health stories/journeys. Here’s info on how to write for Hormones Matter –  https://www.hormonesmatter.com/write-for-hormones-matter/. If you have another topic that you’d like to write about for Hormones Matter, feel free to reach out about anything health-related that is on your mind.

I have been referring people to this post – https://floxiehope.com/2015/10/12/im-floxed-now-what/ and this site – http://fluoroquinolonethyroid.com/ – often lately. Please check both out!

Those are my updates for the moment. Sorry for this being such a random and disjointed post! I hope that you all are finding help, hope, information, and recovery!

Hugs,

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

31 thoughts on “August catch-up

1. tammyrenzi August 5, 2016 at 8:34 am Reply

Yaaaaaaaay! I am so happy for you, Lisa! May you and Mark have many, many, many happy and healthy years together. Your tireless work has helped so many of us, and this news just made my day!

• Lisa August 5, 2016 at 8:39 am Reply

Thank you so much, Tammy! 🙂

2. L August 5, 2016 at 9:30 am Reply

Again congratulations! You look beautiful and so happy.

Read the spoons article. It sucks to have to make so many decisions everyday that used to be taken for granted. I went to dinner with a friend last night, and there really wasn’t a “healthy” or more natural food restaurant in town so ended up at one that had bison burgers, since I figured they would be grass fed. They were out. So then I asked for the ostrich burger (although it tugged a bit at my heart) figuring the same thing. They no longer carried them. Then I thought the next best thing would be stuffed avocado. But the choices were tuna, chicken or shrimp. Sigh. Well, tuna was out because of the mercury and couldn’t take a chance on the non organic chicken, so that left shrimp, which has it’s own problems (not supposed to be the cleanest of choices.) The avocados were hard, the salad beneath was nonorganic and the sliced hard-boiled eggs were risky too. Had I not been floxed I would have had a french dip sandwich and not blinked an eye.

• Lisa August 5, 2016 at 3:06 pm Reply

I like the spoon analogy a lot. It has obviously resonated with many others too – some people have even gotten spoon tattoos because of it. When you have all your “spoons” you can have a french dip sandwich and not bat an eye. It sucks when an illness (a poison in our case) takes away our spoons and we can no longer tolerate a night out with friends. Hugs to you – and I hope that someday your strength will come back to the point where you can eat what you want at dinner again.

Hugs,

• L August 5, 2016 at 3:33 pm Reply

Thanks! Me too. (Although I did have a scotch and was no worse for it 🙂 )

3. tarkonis August 5, 2016 at 9:32 am Reply

Congratulations Lisa on your marriage. Wonderful news.
    I have two young children. They are two and five. I’m about one year out now. My main remaining symptoms are pretty painful neuropathy pain, severe visual snow and brain fog related to my stomach and eating. It is hard work looking after them but I too am so lucky to have my amazing wife who does everything for me and looks after me while I am in this horrendous state. I still manage to work and just got a new job actually. I worry a lot about the future. I feel sometimes robbed of the joy I would have had with my beautiful children because I feel so ill. Did u suffer from neuropathy? When did u turn the corner in terms of your healing. Best wishes and again it makes me so happy to see you on your wedding day triumphant. Take that flox.

• Lisa August 5, 2016 at 6:59 pm Reply

I think that feeling robbed is normal, and that a lot of people feel that way. For these stupid drugs to steal our health, our energy, our families, our normal lives, our joy, our sleep, etc. is horrible and wrong. Everyone who has been hurt by these drugs deserves justice – I wish it was easier to come by.

I did have some neuropathy. It went away with time. I wish I had better information than that, but, for me, time was the biggest key for dealing with the neuropathy.

Keep playing with your children and appreciating your wonderful wife. They’ll get you through. Love makes a difference, it really does.

xo,

4. Melanie Kemp August 5, 2016 at 11:08 am Reply

Huge Congrats Lisa.
    Great to hear floxies returning to normal life and happiness.
    It was wonderful to see you’re pics on facebook 😆

5. Steven August 5, 2016 at 12:34 pm Reply

Congrats Big time and Hope all goes well. I see Yall are in Colorado. Sometime, could Yall go digging for precious stones for us, since we can’t? d:^D Also yes, being a stay at home Dad for the last decade with what we think is Peripheral Neuropathy/TOS x2/ruptured tendon/MS type something or other/gut disorder/brain fog memory stuff, plus every day issues on a roller coaster, is nooooot easy. Good thing I have my Wife and supporter Stacey, and much of my strength comes from somewhere not of here. Also, people such as Yourself add ease, education, and encouragement. Take care, be careful, and have fun as well!

• L August 5, 2016 at 12:59 pm Reply

hey steven, have you tried IV therapy at all?

• Steven W August 8, 2016 at 1:57 pm Reply

Hi Lisa and Mark. I’ve never done IV therapy and our deductible for the family is around 6,000 wit thinges climbing. They want it this way though it seems. I’ve been told by many people, that I should get disability. I hate to cripple the Government more for what Levaquin did to me. But then again they are linked are not they? And I could possibly still be working and wade fishing so jeepers. I could go on. Everything that a person needs to get is too expensive to aquire. It’s like fire, as Survivor man would say, when You need it the most it’s the toughest to aquire. I am already making lists for things to consider if ever I get ahead, and I will include IV Therapy as well. I was able to get up in front of Our Church this last Sunday to share word. It was a good feeling, and I never mentioned my Levaquin induced ailments either. I do that regularly already. Thank You for the new post and treating each of us on an individual bases. I do tumeric, ginger, garlic, lemon, and natural spring fed water. A real treasure from God. Also I take Vit D and also know about the Magnesium. Potassium and iodine I need to start. Thank You and chat again.

• Lisa August 5, 2016 at 7:02 pm Reply

I will search for a gem for you, for sure. 🙂 Keep going, Steven. It sounds like you have a good attitude. You’ll get through this.

• Steve W. August 9, 2016 at 10:00 am Reply

Every day we wake up is a good day, yet there are the ones with greater trial. My day may not be better, but is appreciated and anew every morn. Have a good day today.

6. girardia August 5, 2016 at 5:40 pm Reply

Congratulations Lisa! Best wishes to you and your husband Mark in your life together! Mark Girard

• Lisa August 5, 2016 at 7:02 pm Reply

Thank you, Mark!

7. Jarek August 5, 2016 at 6:32 pm Reply

Congratulation, I am so happy fo you , Lisa !!! You look so happy and beautiful. Wishing your dreams Begin to come true, And every tomorrow , Be healthy and happy for you!

Actually , I have to add that You save my life .I am 1,5 year after and significantly better and still hope for full recovery! Thank you for everything you done for the floxy community!!! Jarek

• Lisa August 5, 2016 at 7:46 pm Reply

Thank you so much, Jarek! I’m so glad that I could help you through this horrible, difficult toxicity syndrome. It’s my pleasure to help. Huge hugs to you!

8. Rose Casanova August 5, 2016 at 6:48 pm Reply

Lisa, You are such an inspiration to everyone. It’s great to see you happy and enjoying life and love. You are a beautiful bride, just stunning. Congratulations Lisa and Mark.

• Lisa August 5, 2016 at 7:46 pm Reply

Thank you so much, Rose! xoxo!

9. Barbara Arnold August 6, 2016 at 1:37 am Reply

You look so beautiful Lisa, I wish you and your gorgeous husband all the happiness and joy in the world.
    Thankyou for all you have done.
    Hugs and love,
    Barb in Spain

• Lisa August 6, 2016 at 2:43 pm Reply

Thank you Barb! 🙂

10. FloxFromCipropol August 6, 2016 at 5:26 am Reply

Congratulations!

• Lisa August 6, 2016 at 2:42 pm Reply

Thank you so much!

11. Regina Dreiling August 6, 2016 at 8:25 am Reply

CONGRATULATIONS! 🙂

• Lisa August 6, 2016 at 2:42 pm Reply

Thank you!!

12. Brian August 6, 2016 at 6:12 pm Reply

Awesome news from an awesome person. Congrats!

13. Sophie August 7, 2016 at 5:42 am Reply

Congratulations to you both! You look amazing! Vive les mariés! 🙂

14. Andrea August 22, 2016 at 2:51 pm Reply

Catching up too. So happy to hear of your wedding news Lisa!
    Thanks for all you do for the FQ community. Wishing you the best in your new married life. Being a mom myself I really feel for all that are floxed in the midst of parenting. At least my kids were grown and off on their own. Take care and enjoy!

15. glyph500words August 28, 2016 at 5:00 pm Reply

Congratulations, Lisa! wishing all the best for you, Mark and your new family.

16. Lukasz September 19, 2016 at 4:27 pm Reply

I know I’m late to the party with this but congrats on tying the knot.

You’ve been a life-saver for so many of us. May life bring you much joy and happiness. Thank you for all that you do.