How Levaquin Tried to Kill Me, but I Fought Back

This is Amy’s story of fluoroquinolone toxicity and recovery. It’s wonderful! Thank you for writing this, Amy! I am so glad that this is not the end of you, and that this horrible experience has shown you how strong you truly are. xoxoxo

-Lisa

Amy Writes

img_5379I have a very serious story to share. I’ve put off writing it for a number of reasons: fear that writing it down gives it more power or permanence in my life, fear that the story isn’t actually over, shame that I allowed this to happen at all, especially given what happened to my dog Holly. That’s probably the biggest reason I’ve put off sharing this on the blog and on social media: I should know better than to just blindly trust a doctor prescribing medication. That killed my dog. And it could’ve killed me.

On April 20, 2016, my doctor (now former) prescribed a fluoroquinolone antibiotic called Levaquin (actually I took the generic, levafloxacin — more on that later) to treat a sinus infection. The only warning he gave me was to take a probiotic along with it, as it might upset my stomach. I’d been a…

View original post 3,146 more words

7 thoughts on “How Levaquin Tried to Kill Me, but I Fought Back

1. tammyrenzi December 15, 2016 at 8:21 am Reply

Wow! I loved hearing Amy’s story of healing and think it is a positive healing story. Thank you for directing us to this, Lisa. You are way better than any superhero I know! Leap tall buildings, x-ray vision?! That’s nothing compared to what you’ve done by creating this site. I wish you and your new family all the joys and happiness of the holiday season!

• Lisa December 15, 2016 at 3:05 pm Reply

Thank you so much, Tammy! xoxoxo – huge hugs to you! I hope you have a joyful holiday season as well! 🙂

2. gessiewtf December 15, 2016 at 9:13 am Reply

In 2005 I took a five day course of Levaquin for a sinus infection. 3 weeks later both of my Achilles tendons ruptured. First think my GP said was have you been on Cipro or Levaquin, I was in black boots for months. I had the Miami City Ballet P.T who had to teach me how to walk again. I had the finest surgeon for the Miami Dolphins and the Heat. One day I developed a fever of 105 and my foot was swollen like fat bastard. My surgeon told me to take tylenol and elevate it. It didn’t seem like good advice so I called my GP and he said get in here at once. He brought in a sonogram machine and they discovered a blood clot which would have killed me by 5:00 p.m. Next year, both tendons in thumbs ruptured. I am left with severe arthritis in the pockets where the ruptures were. Next year my rotator cuff ruptured. Physical therapy for all of this crap ended in 2010. I still cannot walk more than a mile or my ankles turn. I have pain in my feet much like diabetic nerve pain, as the nerves were damaged. Now, in 2016, I went to a back pain specialist because I had a horrible pain in my neck. He asked me if I had ever been on Levaquin. I have yet to go back for a neck scan. This is a never ending process for me, it changed me from a vibrant, fairly athletic person , to an overweight recluse on a CPAC machine. And yet, this drug is still not he market because despite the lawsuits, they make tons of money(Bayer). Doctors dole it out like candy. I can’t believe I didn’t sue. Under legal advice I wa told that it would be five years of hell, where they tried to discredit me, abuse me, etc. They thought I had suffered enough. Now I wish I had sued.

• Lisa December 15, 2016 at 3:10 pm Reply

I am so, so, so sorry for all that these drugs have taken from you, and for all the pain you have experienced! Your story is heartbreaking, and the injustice of it is infuriating.

If you would like to share your story (exactly what you wrote would be great) on http://www.fqwallofpain.com, please let me know through the contact link above.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I’m truly very sorry for what happened to you!

Hugs,

3. L December 15, 2016 at 9:55 am Reply

It is true that if you took a generic you couldn’t sue, however some law firms are now tackling this beast. Try Toe Hoerman Law Firm. Also, please don’t EVER use the word shame in this regard. We have been victims of negligence from the doctors and pharmacies and gross negligence from the manufacturers.

4. L December 15, 2016 at 9:55 am Reply

ooops TOR not toe

5. Debbie December 15, 2016 at 8:32 pm Reply

Where is rest of story? Only see one paragraph?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android