Fluoroquinolones Increase Expression of MMPs

Fluoroquinolones degrade both the cellular matrix and collagen, and degradation of both are related to all the symptoms of fluoroquinolone toxicity. Torn tendons, nerve damage, and even memory loss and aging can be linked to cellular matrix and collagen degradation.

One theory as to how fluoroquinolones cause cellular matrix and collagen degradation (and tendon ruptures, and the hundreds of other symptoms of fluoroquinolone toxicity) is by selectively increasing expression of matrix metalloproteinases, or MMPs.

The article, “Clinical implications of matrix metalloproteinases” notes that:

“Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are a family of neutral proteinases that are important for normal development, wound healing, and a wide variety of pathological processes, including the spread of metastatic cancer cells, arthritic destruction of joints, atherosclerosis, pulmonary fibrosis, emphysema and neuroinflammation. In the central nervous system (CNS), MMPs have been shown to degrade components of the basal lamina, leading to disruption of the blood brain barrier and to contribute to the neuroinflammatory responses in many neurological diseases.”

Information about the effects of fluoroquinolones on the cellular matrix, collagen, and MMPs can be found in these articles:

Though un-doing the damage caused by MMP expression from fluoroquinolones is easier said than done, there are some natural MMP inhibitors that may be helpful.

Chondroitin sulfate inhibits MMPs. Several marine animals contain chondroitin sulfate, and it can be found in shark cartilage, sea cucumbers, as well as marine heparin extracted from shrimp and sea squirt (source). According to the article, Angiogenic inhibitor protein fractions derived from shark cartilage, “Shark cartilage has been proven to have inhibitory effects on the endothelial cell angiogenesis, metastasis, cell adhesion and MMP (matrix metalloprotease) activity.”

A “floxie” friend reported that he had been helped immensely by supplementing shark cartilage. (I honestly have really mixed feelings about suggesting that shark cartilage may be healing because I like sharks, but that’s beside the point, and I don’t want to withhold information from you because I feel uncomfortable about consuming shark byproducts.)

For those who (like me) aren’t comfortable supplementing shark cartilage, some other natural supplements that are MMP inhibitors include (source):

• Soybean Seeds
  • Citrus Fruits
  • Berries
  • Curcumin
  • Green Tea
  • Black Tea
  • Grapes

Those things certainly fall into the “worth a try” category. Unfortunately, I haven’t heard of anyone having dramatically positive results from eating berries or grapes, but they probably won’t hurt you, and are likely worth trying.

It is also worth noting that tetracycline antibiotics including doxycycline (NOT a fluoroquinolone), are also MMP inhibitors. The article, Bactericidal Antibiotics Induce Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Oxidative Damage in Mammalian Cells, notes how tetracycline antibiotics are bacteriostatic, not bactericidal, and how bacteriostatic antibiotics don’t cause the damage that bactericidal antibiotics inflict, and may even mitigate the damage caused by them. Low-dose doxycycline (or another tetracycline antibiotic) may help to inhibit MMPs and therefore mitigate damage and even promote healing. (Ask your doctor before starting this method.)

Though MMP activation is related to connective tissue breakdown, all fluoroquinolone toxicity symptoms, as well as cancer, arthritis, neuroinflammation, and more, to say that they are “bad” is overly simplistic. Everything in biology and health is complex and multifaceted. There are intricate feedback and feed-forward loops in many inputs. There are no easy or simple answers or cures.

With that said, MMP inhibitors may be helpful. Shark cartilage helped my friend, and it, or the other MMP inhibitors noted, may help you.

Though our bodies are complex, and there doesn’t seem to be a “magic bullet” that cures fluoroquinolone toxicity (or any other complex multi-symptom illness), there are things that can help push your body back to a state of health, and MMP inhibiting food and supplements are on that list.

Tagged: , , , ,

11 thoughts on “Fluoroquinolones Increase Expression of MMPs

1. Steven W. November 2, 2017 at 7:30 am Reply

Thank You for the post, and this may explain why my nails are as thin as paper unlike before being floxed?

• Lisa November 2, 2017 at 7:57 am Reply

Maybe. It could be a lack of absorption of nutrients and minerals, or disruption in your cellular mineral homeostasis, or hormonal problems, too.

2. Peter November 2, 2017 at 7:42 am Reply

Lisa – thank you for your update. FYI – I ordered from Easy Immune Health, quite a large order, and it has not yet arrived. It was a 2-day order, and it is 5 days since then. Is there a way to contact them by phone?

• Lisa November 2, 2017 at 7:54 am Reply

Hi Peter,

I will forward your comment to the authors of Easy Immune Health – Kerri and Joshua. Is the email address associated with this comment your real and complete email address?

3. Kathy November 2, 2017 at 1:30 pm Reply

Interesting. I don’t eat soy products, but I do eat plenty citrus, berries & grapes, drink a few cups of black tea daily with turmeric (so getting some curcumin) and both before & for the 1st year after being floxed I was taking a joint supplement with chondroitin in it. I do feel like I have had a good recovery, of course not healed. I’m 23 mos out now, almost normal, which I never thought I would be since I was older at the time time of floxing, 66 yrs. My RA type symptoms (blood tests don’t show I have it) are better now than before floxing 🙂

• Lisa November 2, 2017 at 2:00 pm Reply

That’s great news, Kathy! Please let me know if you want to put a recovery story up on this site. 🙂

4. Aaron November 2, 2017 at 7:48 pm Reply

Hi Lisa, I was poisoned about 3 months ago but unfortunately I haven’t noticed any improvements in my symptoms which are many, I have done some investigating only to find some abnormalities in my blood work being low ferretin, high iron, and high calcium I’m confused by all of this but I still beleive things will improve. Also is it ok to continue testosterone therapy as my levels are low but I’ve been afraid to take it since I read steroids makes floxie poisoning worse. Any ideas? Thanks

• Lisa November 3, 2017 at 7:34 pm Reply

Hi Aaron,

Your high calcium is disturbing because it may be a sign that your parathyroid is having problems. You may want to ask your doctor about getting your parathyroid checked.

I have actually wondered if testosterone replacement therapy could help “floxies.” I don’t think that you should go off of it because you have been floxed. The steroids that people seem to have bad reactions to are prednisone and corticosteroid injections, and those are the ones that I avoid and think others probably should too.

Definitely talk to a doctor about both of those things. Hormones are tricky, and can affect everything else. You should definitely look into both the high calcium and the T with a doc.

I’m not sure what to think of the low ferretin combined with high iron. Please let me know if you find any answers on that one.

• ursula November 3, 2017 at 11:09 pm Reply

I once heard of a guy who’s iron in blood was high, he started stomach enzymes and mannatech and the iron went back normal range, havent got all the details. But I want to mention the hormones can cause havoc, I was fine (80% healed 4 years out) until 6 months ago when peri menupause symptoms started to hit (im nearly 50), not the flushes really but bad anxiety depression, started skipping periods sometimes etc, look up 40 symptoms of peri menupause. Hope it will pass in a few years time – like being floxed all over again. blood levels on hormones shows still in range but they say you have symptoms long before you see it. I wonder if theres bio identicals hormone replacement for testosterone for men, heard of it.

• Aaron November 5, 2017 at 7:56 pm Reply

Hi Lisa, thanks for the reply I’m very relieved hormone therapy doesn’t make things worse in this scenario, I’m terrified to make things worse at this point and go back to the horrible phychosis I was experiencing when I first got poisoned. At this point I feel like I can’t trust the doctors as all they have done is dismiss my complaints and it makes me think they really don’t know much about how dangerous this drug can be. By the way what has given you the impression that testosterone therapy might help the symptoms? In anycase if you like I will update you and I will definatley follow up about the thyroid issues, I’m really glad this site is around as now I know I’m not the only one and there is hope to having a full recovery.

• Aaron November 13, 2017 at 2:00 am Reply

Hi Lisa, thanks for the reply I’m very relieved hormone therapy doesn’t make things worse in this scenario, I’m terrified to make things worse at this point and go back to the horrible phychosis I was experiencing when I first got poisoned. At this point I feel like I can’t trust the doctors as all they have done is dismiss my complaints and it makes me think they really don’t know much about how dangerous this drug can be. By the way what has given you the impression that testosterone therapy might help the symptoms? In anycase I will definatley follow up about the thyroid issues, I’m really glad this site is around as now I know I’m not the only one and there is hope to having a full recovery.