Floxed Doctors are Taking Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Patients

Most people don’t understand fluoroquinolone toxicity. They don’t understand the complexity or severity of chronic illness brought on by fluoroquinolone antibiotics. They don’t understand the pain. They don’t understand the timeline – that it takes a long time to heal from getting “floxed,” and that some people don’t heal at all. They don’t understand delayed reactions, or continuing decline. They don’t understand the mechanisms of fluoroquinolone toxicity. They don’t understand how a pharmaceutical, an antibiotic no less, can cause multi-symptom, chronic illness.

The only people who really, truly, completely understand, are the people who have been through it themselves.

That, more than anything else (in my opinion), is what makes these two medical practitioners (one D.O. functional medicine practitioner, and one pharmacist functional medicine practitioner) uniquely qualified to treat fluoroquinolone toxicity patients.

They have been floxed themselves. They know what it’s like. They understand the pain, the fear, the complexity, the lack of resources available, the horror of a bomb going off in their body, etc. They know what it’s like to go from healthy and active, to being in a wheelchair because of a disabling reaction to Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, or Floxin. They understand because they have been there. They truly have empathy for victims of fluoroquinolones because they too are victims of these drugs.

The two featured medical practitioners have also healed. Their healing journeys are different, but their results are the same–recovery.

After they healed, they decided to so something to help the “floxie” community, and devoted their practices (or at least a portion of their practices) to helping people to overcome fluoroquinolone toxicity. I am hopeful that their services will help hundreds, if not thousands, of people to heal from fluoroquinolone toxicity.

The two medical practitioners that I’m referring to are Dr. Mark Ghalili, D.O. of Regenerative Medicine LA, and Sujata Patel of Journey with Sujata and Wellness With Sujata.

Here is some information about each of them.

Dr. Mark Ghalili, D.O. of Regenerative Medicine LA:

Most people in the fluoroquinolone toxicity community have seen the feature of Dr. Ghalili’s story on CBS Los Angeles:

On the Regenerative Medicine LA web site, Dr. Ghalili’s bio states:

Dr. Ghalili’s passion lies in teaching his patients about chronic disease, prevention, and finding the underlying reasons for an illness. At an early stage in his career, he noticed the future of medicine becoming a medication cure-all for all patient’s ailments. Dr. Ghalili realized that the traditional methods and ideologies used in Western Medicine that were taught to him failed to provide any insight into functional and regenerative medicine. He realized millions of American’s are suffering from chronic disease and need a whole body approach taken in order to heal. Dr. Ghalili has dedicated his life towards offering care to people living with medical conditions that are not being improved by traditional medicine; his own personal journey will allow him to positively impact patient’s lives.

I have spoken extensively with Dr. Ghalili, and I know that his ordeal with fluoroquinolone toxicity was harrowing and traumatic, and that he has made a remarkable recovery. Dr. Ghalili has agreed to write a recovery story to be published on Floxie Hope, and he will also be featured in a podcast episode (both to be published at a later date).

Sujata Patel of Journey with Sujata and Wellness With Sujata:

You can read about Sujata’s journey through fluoroquinolone toxicity on Sujata’s Story – Cipro Poisoning and Recovery. In her story, Sujata describes how active and healthy she was before she took Cipro, and how she ended up in a wheelchair after getting “floxed.” She describes how Western Medicine let her down, by both failing to have answers and failing to give her acknowledgement. She tells us what things she has done, and continues to do, to heal her body, mind, and spirit. It’s a wonderful story, and I encourage you to read it.

You can read more about Sujata, and her journey through fluoroquinolone toxicity, on Journey with Sujata. Here are some highlights:

My name is Sujata, and I am excited to share my story and journey through fluoroquinolone toxicity, fibromyalgia, hope, recovery, and ultimately reclaiming my life. My hope is that through my journey and the results of my research and development, I will be able to offer you that same hope so that you can reclaim a joyful, hopeful, vibrant and healthy life.

….

Given my age and my excellent health, I had no idea this could impact my life so drastically. I started noticing tendonitis in various areas of my body, which progressed to all of my tendons. Over the course of a week, it began impacting my nervous system, all of my muscles, my joints, and my cognitive (brain) function.

…..

This is when my quest for information began. I was determined to figure out what the root cause of this side effect was and how I could treat and reverse it. So many of the symptoms of fluoroquinolone and fibromyalgia overlap, and I started finding the congruencies between each. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. This was my inspiration to find anything and everything I could to reverse this life altering condition. I had to think outside of the box, using my pharmacy background, my knowledge of biochemistry and medicinal chemistry, and really thinking about what was happening at a cellular level. It was not as simple as searching “cure for fibromyalgia” or “reverse fluoroquinolone toxicity” on the internet. I wanted to understand how to stop the progression of this illness, rid the toxins that contribute to the progression of the illness, and how to rebuild healthy cells to regain health and vitality.

….

I could have kept my findings to myself. But as I read through message boards and blogs of no hope and lives of devastation, it literally brought me to tears. I simply must share my findings, insights and products with anyone who could possibly benefit. It is my mission to educate and help as many people as I can who are suffering from fibromyalgia and fluoroquinolone toxicity. It is my mission to offer hope, clarity, and an avenue to recover and heal.

I have regained my mental clarity, my vitality and thirst of adventure in my life. I have come out of a two and a half year long depression, I have re-ignited the spark within me that makes me want to experience everything life has to offer, and I know that if I can do it, so can you. I want that for you. I want you to feel the hope, I want you to walk the steps of healing yourself, and I want you to live again. I want you to feel empowered within yourself and KNOW that you too, can live the life you are meant to and WANT to live! Journey with Sujata is here to support you, guide you, and walk with you as you journey to health.

I have corresponded with Sujata extensively, and, in addition to her story, she has written a guest-post for Floxie Hope (that, as of the publishing of this post, I have yet to publish–but will soon).

Both Dr. Ghalili and Sujata Patel practice medicine in ways that are outside of the norm. They are not typical medical practitioners who approach the world in a typical way. This is probably a good thing, seeing as most “floxies” have not been able to find help or answers from typical mainstream doctors (though some have – there are good and bad medical practitioners of all types). They are both Functional Medicine Practitioners, which, according to Dr. Mark Hyman, means that:

Functional medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease, using a systems-oriented approach and engaging both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. It is an evolution in the practice of medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century. By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach, functional medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. Functional medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, functional medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual.

It should be acknowledged that consultations and treatments from both Dr. Ghalili and Sujata are more expensive than most traditional doctor visit co-pays. Medical providers who practice outside of the traditional system tend to be more expensive for consumers (in part because none of their business expenses are covered by insurance payments/reimbursements). The hefty price-tag that comes with their services does not make them greedy, and it does not mean that they are praying on people. I’m sure that they both have good reasons for the amounts that they charge, and, from what I’ve heard, their fees are in-line with those of other Functional Medicine Practitioners.

Both Dr. Ghalili and Sujata Patel saw that there was a need for medical practitioners who understood fluoroquinolone toxicity, and they did something about it–they became Functional Medicine Practitioners who specialize in fluoroquinolone toxicity. They are using their extensive medical training to help “floxies” and their help is appreciated!

Hopefully more medical practitioners will start recognizing, and even treating, fluoroquinolone toxicity. I don’t hope for anyone to get “floxed,” and I hope that the desire of other medical practitioners to help people heal from fluoroquinolone toxicity stems from our collective advocacy efforts, rather than the horrifying experience of going through fluoroquinolone toxicity themselves. But, with that noted, medical practitioners who have personally been through fluoroquinolone toxicity can empathize with “floxed” patients, and they have a perspective that is unique and valuable. I appreciate both Dr. Mark Ghalili and Sujata Patel, and I hope that both of their practices are successful and that they help many people to recover from fluoroquinolone toxicity.

End note – I am not affiliated with either Dr. Mark Ghalili/Regenerative Medicine LA, or Sujata Patel/Wellness with Sujata/Journey with Sujata in any way. I’m not receiving any money from either of them. I have corresponded with both of them, but neither I (Lisa Bloomquist Palmer) nor Floxie Hope, are monetarily involved with either of them in any way.

Tagged: , , , , ,

28 thoughts on “Floxed Doctors are Taking Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Patients

1. Alexander Thermos, DC, DO February 21, 2018 at 9:15 am Reply

Yes – and the journey continues for many who have been ‘floxed’. Truly, the only approach that shows any merit is an individualized approach of a Functional Medicine evaluation and subsequent treatment.

Out of compassion, I too treat these injured patients with Functional Medicine approaches. We can be reached at wwwLifeSourceWellnessCare.com

• Lisa February 21, 2018 at 9:55 am Reply

Thank you, Dr. Thermos! I appreciate that you are treating fluoroquinolone-injured patients. We certainly need all the compassionate help we can get.

2. L February 21, 2018 at 10:21 am Reply

I have trouble understanding how she could still be a registered pharmacist after all this.

• Sujata February 21, 2018 at 11:22 am Reply

L, I do not practice pharmacy. My entire professional practice is devoted to helping people heal holistically.

• L February 21, 2018 at 5:48 pm Reply

glad to hear

3. Rose Casanova February 21, 2018 at 5:02 pm Reply

Thanks to both of these individuals for putting their focus on the recovery of this terrible syndrome. They will be great resources to the floxed. I believe they will give people hope in a fairly hopeless world of misery. I also hope that they go out and inform other functional medicine practitioners of the harms of FQs and all medications. I happened to be prescribed Cipro by a functional medicine doc for gut dysbiosis and that “cure” is still practiced by doctors in the field. It’s really quite shocking.

4. Taszunko February 21, 2018 at 7:29 pm Reply

I am just worry about one issue. If the residue of FQ in cells make just selective mito damage the SCT could work. What will happen if FQ damage mtDNA and nDNA, that is mean damage in every single cell. I hoping I am wrong and wish everyone fast recovery.

5. Alexander Thermos, DO February 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm Reply

Taszunko – you are entirely correct. The clinical pathology has yet to be completely defined – so that differentiating between selective mitochondrial damage vs global mitochondrial damage is still a question to be answered.

There will be differing degrees of damage (I’d bet) between individuals based upon their pre-existing situations – as well as their individual genetic makeups, as well as epigenetic factors playing into the whole situation.

Functional Medicine Testing accounts for this (however does not define all the factors involved) by individualizing treatment for the Patient based upon their clinical presentation – as well as the functional factors within their own tests that define their individual pathological presentation. There is no ‘silver bullet’ cure for treatment to be sure! Each Patient must be approached as an individual – and then with the ‘general’ factors that we know are helpful, and adding additional personalized ‘tweaks’ according to their particular biochemical and physiological presentation – treatment can be utilized.

Follow-up testing is (as in the case of most chronic disease / pathological processes) then used to further ‘refine’ treatment according to their presentation.

Unfortunately – I would assume that there are ‘worse’ scenarios that we currently do not have the expertise or technology to address, and there will be those that unfortunately will obtain little help from anyone’s approach. That is where I personally also offer it up in Prayer for God to guide us as to additional testing and or treatment approaches for these outliers amongst all who suffer from this magnified horrific response to the flouroquinone pathological induced cascade of events and compromised physiology.

• L February 22, 2018 at 12:55 pm Reply

I know that more standard tests come up negative, because as Dr Todd Plumb pointed out, the damage is mostly functional and not structural. But as regards the mitochondria and mitochondrial DNA…I am not aware of any test available for that. Is there?

• Alexander Thermos, DO February 22, 2018 at 1:44 pm Reply

There is some available testing that can be done for evaluation of the Mitochondrial DNA, known as the mtDNAGenome / MitoGenome / Full Mitochondrial Sequence / “Mega Test” for evaluation of genetic problems of the Mitochondria. This however does not take into account the other functional issues of the Patient, or the epigenetic factors that can influence gene expression. Again, I go back to the ‘Functional Approach’ which provides the most important data – what is actually taking place / what is being ‘expressed’, and first try interventions at that level. I personally have not explored the Mitochondrial DNA evaluation further, as it is an expensive process – with currently limited application for Patient care, and was not covered by any insurance that I am aware of.

We absolutely know of interventions which can change the function of Mitochondria – detoxification of known heavy metals, replenishment of deficiencies (Co-Q10, Carnitine, Magnesium, Manganese) and resolution of Methylation problems (M-B12, MTHF therapy, etc.), as well as the use of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (hard – shell chamber utilizing 1.5 to 2.0 ATA pressure) to resolve oxygen utilization and ‘jump-start’ the Mitochondrial function. While not limited to these – there are many more – but it seems these are the most clinically relevant. Pursuing these options, when clinically beneficial – generally can have a positive impact on Mitochondrial function and disease.

• L February 22, 2018 at 1:51 pm

yes, I am aware of those. (sadly I am WAY too claustrophobic for the hyperbaric…plus it is very expensive) but I have been working with an ND and an integrative MD and doing all the rest. I was just curious how much of my remaining issues are mito-related

• Alexander Thermos, DO February 22, 2018 at 2:01 pm Reply

Additionally, I’d like to comment – that the use of Stem Cell therapy has it’s merits in this situation when the functional problems are under control. Another tool – Stem Cell therapy can have an influence via a variety of mechanisms, to include:
        1) Direct Stem Cell proliferation after migration and engraftment – which has a possibility of replacement with tissues with a different genetic makeup when coming from a donor graft
        2) Direct Stem Cell release of Exosomes to the host tissues, stimulating them to produce new tissue / proliferation of Host Stem Cells with freshly generated Mitochondria of the original Host genome.
        While these two mechanisms are at this point theoretical and of theoretical benefit, they can provide a framework for further research as to the displayed clinical benefit (after functional issues have been addressed) utilizing Stem Cell Therapy for Patients who have been ‘floxed’.

It goes without saying that we are still in the earlier stages in the approaches to treatment of the “Flox Phenomenon”, and all treatment approaches are subject to revision and restructuring as research information is obtained.

• L February 22, 2018 at 2:23 pm

yes, I think stem cell is promising.

6. Taszunko February 22, 2018 at 4:42 pm Reply

I will know you soon our about study, then you understand way some people recover and some not. It is very devastating.

7. Taszunko February 22, 2018 at 4:44 pm Reply

Sorry for typo.

8. Frank February 22, 2018 at 6:57 pm Reply

I want to note for others that Sujata is not a Doctor or a Functional Medicine Practitioner, so this article is very misleading in these claims and should be edited for clarity

• Lisa February 23, 2018 at 1:53 pm Reply

I apologize for being misleading. Not all functional medicine practitioners are doctors, and you don’t have to be a doctor to be a functional medicine practitioner. The headline seemed too long when it was A Floxed Doctor and a Floxed Pharmacist are Taking Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Patients – but perhaps I should have been more clear.

• Frank February 23, 2018 at 8:52 pm Reply

It can also be confusing calling someone a “Functional Practitioner” in the article when they don’t actually have any training in Functional Medicine which is a very specific type of training. It is a misnomer at that point, it would be more clear to just say “Holistic”. Thank you for your website Lisa.

• wellnesswithsujata February 23, 2018 at 9:52 pm

Hi Frank,
          It’s Sujata. I read your concerns regarding what was stated in the article and wanted to take a moment to help provide more clarity for you. I have had extensive training, experience and continued education opportunities in the field of functional medicine for the duration of my career which started in 1993. In my current practice, I assist my varies clients by getting to the root cause of their illness, disease, or diagnosis and we heal from there. While my professional bio does not boast every bit of training I have had, I can assure you that it is vast. I am unique in the health care arena in the fact that I am a functional medicine practitioner AND I take a holistic approach to healing- via mind, body and spirit healing. I hope this added information helps ease your concerns. Enjoy your weekend!

• Frank February 24, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Hello Sujata. That is strange you would not list a Functional Medicine certification with it being so prominent, my own Doctor has told me the courses are very expensive.

Which company did you do your training with and how long was the course?

I see 59 Functional Practitioners in the Akron area but you are not one of them?

I am not floxed my Mother is, and my Doctor has no understanding of floxed so I have been looking for her. Thank you

9. […] Content: Floxed Doctors are Taking Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Patients | Floxie Hope The Mystery Illness: Part 1, Symptoms | The Barefoot Aya FQ Antibiotics and Memory | Floxie […]

10. centralfloridaesa March 27, 2018 at 12:41 pm Reply

My friend Wendi is starting her first stem cell treatment as we speak! Thank you Dr. Mark Ghalili for taking such good care of her. We are all praying for her this week and look forward to hearing about her full recovery! Thank you to these doctors for their wisdom and acknowledgment and to Lisa for sharing! Together, we can make this widely known and create change in the world of big pharma, FDA and the like!!
    Thank you, Zoe Grant (Cipro 10/31/17 for common UTI)

• greendingy June 17, 2018 at 10:04 am Reply

Hi, I have been to Dr. Ghalili and like him very much. I was not sure/ready to do the stem cells he recommended and would very much like to know how your friend has responded. I would very much appreciate a response, thank you!

11. Sara Ritchie March 31, 2018 at 6:12 pm Reply

If you have an opportunity I highly recommend Dr. Ghalili. He has been instrumental in my recovery. I was floxed May 2017 after 4 pills for a sinus infection, by Septemeber through what I learned I had improved significantly. After September I made a slow decline back to struggling to walk in January 2018. I have had 8 appointment with Dr. Ghalili and I could not be happier with my results. I will be scheduling stem cell therapy within the month. He is the real deal and was a physician at Ceders Sinai prior to being floxed himself. He does phone consultations which was our first course of action in our path with him since we lived 2-4 hours outside of LA, depending on traffic.

• greendingy June 17, 2018 at 10:06 am Reply

Hi Sara, I also have been to Dr. Gahili, and would like to learn how you responded to the Stem Cell therapy. He recommended this for me as well, but I have not been ready and feedback from those who have done it will help me make the decision. Please let me know how you responded, thanks!

12. Dave F July 27, 2018 at 3:55 am Reply

Has anyone actually worked with Sujata and got better. I see she does consultations but the price is insane. :-/

13. Sandi August 9, 2018 at 11:59 am Reply

I have thought the same in regards to Dr. Sujata. Her prices for consultation are very expensive. I was hoping she would make it affordable for all people suffering and searching for relief from their symptoms. I understand that she needs to be paid for her time and information but it’s beyond reach at her prices:(

• Jerzy Tyszkowski August 9, 2018 at 2:09 pm Reply

Hi Liza, way you send me this post 🙂 Have no idea about Dr. Sujata. I hope you are doing ok. Jerzy

*NOTICE: This email and all attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and intended SOLELY for the recipients as identified in the “To”, “Cc” and “Bcc” lines of this email. If you are not an intended recipient, or if your receipt of this email and its attachments is the result of a mistake, an inadvertent disclosure, or an unauthorized transmittal, you are prohibited from reading, retaining, or disseminating its contents. Sender reserves and asserts all rights to confidentiality, including all privileges that may apply. Pursuant to those rights and privileges, immediately DELETE and DESTROY all copies of the email and its attachments, in whatever form, and immediately NOTIFY the sender of your receipt of this email. DO NOT review, copy, forward or rely on the email and its attachments in any way. All rights of the sender for violations of the confidentiality and privileges applicable to this email and any attachments are expressly reserved. NO DUTIES ARE INTENDED OR CREATED BY THIS COMMUNICATION. *

*Any tax information or written tax advice contained herein (including any attachments) is not intended to be and cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. (The foregoing legend has been affixed pursuant to U.S. Treasury Regulations governing tax practice.)*