I was put on a dose on Cipro to treat an infection called Bartonella, which is a coinfection of Lyme Disease. I lasted about a day (2 doses) before my ankles started aching. 3 days in I could barely stand.
I called the Doctor and he told me to stop the drug and replace it with another one. I was actually told to also take Magnesium interestingly, as well as Aleve and just to ice the area regularly. I did this for 2 weeks to no avail. It was at this point that I began getting quite concerned, and depressed as I literally couldn’t do anything! Add to this the fact that I was suffering with Lyme really compounded the problem several times over. The main symptoms of the Lyme Disease were pain, energy exhaustion, allergy issues, and sensory problems. In relation to the antibiotic, the pain was only in my Achilles Tendons. I also had some weird Neurological things happening like Tinnitus, and twitching. Also my energy became lower.
Having already been on many of the recommended supplements for Mitochondrial Function really helped minimise the problems I faced. I was already on Magnesium, Co Q10, Acetyl L Carnitine, Probiotics, and Vitamin C.
The first thing I read was Floxie Hope, and this also introduced me to Bone Broth, and a Ketogenic Diet. I was really strict with the Keto Diet, but truth be told after a few months, I relaxed it a lot! I still keep off Dairy and Gluten, but I do have some sugar in my diet. So..to the bit that everyone skips to!
What helped.. First I think it’s important to mention things that didn’t help. I’m aware they work for some, but they just didn’t work for me :
- Glutathione IVs (I just don’t think they made a huge difference to my pain but they did clear my head!)
- HVSI (High Volume Saline Injection) for £350 which just made the problem worse
Now the things that could have helped, but if they did, the improvement was subtle:
- Digestive Enzymes
And now the exciting bit..what worked:
- Bone Broth (this was massive for my gut, as it helped the healing. When I stop taking it my gut problems return)
- RED Laser from TENDLite (this was big for me! I used it 2-3 times per day on painful spots)
- Eccentric Exercises (HOWEVER..I had to rest for some time before doing these, and even then they were problematic. If you feel your tendons are going to burst I would NOT recommend this! Also, I only got benefit from these once I started using the RED laser afterward.)
- Collagen (Always Fish Collagen as it’s well absorbed. 4 scoops per day)
- Peptides – I know these are controversial but they worked for me. BPC-157 and TB500 showed me the most promising improvements. You have to be ok with needles though!
- Magnesium Malate and Angstrom helped with sleep
- CBD Pain Cream – I recommend Myaderm. After my exercises I’d rub this on liberally and it works a treat.
I’m 5 months out from taking this drug, but having just got back from holiday where I walked half an hour or more most days, I’m a lot better than before and I know that there is a lot more healing ahead.
Al added in a post-script:
I’m still able to take my antibiotics for Lyme Disease (just not Fluoroquinolone antibiotics!) and it hasn’t hindered my recovery from Cipro poisoning. I know there’s a bit of uncertainty as to whether it’s safe to keep taking Lyme antibiotics after being floxed, but it doesn’t seem to have affected me in any way. The antibiotics I’m on currently are :
- Septra DS
*****The story above is truthful, accurate and told to the best of the ability of the writer. It is not intended as medical advice. No person who submits his or her story, nor the people associated with Floxie Hope, diagnoses or treats any illness. The story above should not be substituted for professionally provided medical advice. Please consult your doctor before trying anything that has been mentioned in this story, or in any other story on this site. Please also note that people have varying responses to the treatments mentioned in each story. What helps one person may not help, and may even hurt, another person. It is important that you understand that supplements, IVs, essential oils, and all other treatments, affect people differently depending on the millions of variables that make each of us unique. Please use appropriate caution and prudence, and get professional medical advice.