Crystal’s Recovery Story – Fluoroquinolone Toxicity

Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic Health Dangers

*The following is an individual’s story of surviving fluoroquinolone toxicity. It is not medical advice. Please see the disclaimer at the bottom of the story. Thank you, and please be cautious with all treatments.

I wanted to give an update here (10 1/2 weeks post Rx) to give other people hope – as I check in often to see if there have been any new stories posted.

To let you know where I was just weeks after my prescription: I had what I can only describe as peripheral neuropathy, pains in my arms and legs that would crop up and disappear many times throughout the days. I had pain in the tendons of both forearms, and in my pointer finger after “exerting” it. I had pain in the top of my foot when I walked and in my calf, as well as achilles. Even while sitting, I could feel the tendons in my thighs hurting. They would ache at times when I walked. Lots of anxiety, and I cried easily every single day and very foggy minded. The insomnia- I could only sleep about 4 hours a night (with night sweats and nightmares). There were two occasions where when doing simple movement of my legs, I felt something ‘pulling/tearing’ inside, a sensation I had never felt in my life. It was not painful, but the next day I would feel the pain or on and off for the next few weeks. One was the side of my knee, the other was the back of my thigh. One of my saggital bands (top of the knuckle where the finger meets the hand) suddenly started to slide off my knuckle and to the side. It was not painful. My appetite was gone, and I lost 13lbs in one months because I didn’t want to eat, and I didn’t have 13lbs to lose, so this was disconcerting.

I am a college student in my final year and had to dropped two courses due to the pain in my forearms and I did not want to make them worse. I’m a fine arts major, a lot of hands on work. Luckily, I’m still full-time and I will still graduate on time, though next semester will just be much more work than I anticipated.

The good news: I have not had any pulling or tearing sensations in any part of my body for over 8 weeks. It seems that my body, at least, was most frail in the following couple weeks after taking my Rx. The saggital band is still the same, but has not worsened nor do I feel pain here. The neuropathy has mostly subsided, with only occasional fleeting pain. This is usually when I am very, very tired. The insomnia has also subsided, with only one night in the past 4 weeks where I awoke and could not fall back asleep (and no more night sweats!). I no longer feel very anxious nor depressed, but I do have days where I have that fogginess. I hear this eventually passes, so looking forward to that! The pain in my calf and foot have subsided with hints of an ache on occasion. Some days the achilles acts up, but it is very manageable. No more tendon pain in my legs from just sitting. My forearms ache at times, but not near to the point they did initially. It is passing and very tolerable. I also have my appetite back! And the weight! I know that my body is healing, just comparing myself to where I was only 8 weeks ago.

When I was most desperate for sleep, I never took anything to help me fall back asleep. No anti-histamines, melatonin, prescriptions, etc. Nothing. I wanted my brain to eventually work it out on its own (though every site you may find will tell you insomnia doesn’t go away on its own, I refused to believe this). Instead, I walked some everyday (always outdoors) and made sure I was in bed at the same time every night. Eventually, it regulated.

I stretch every single day, every part of my body. It is worth the extra time it takes me every morning. It has been so helpful, even if I have pain in an area, I stretch it, though gently.

I don’t take anything for pain, not even tylenol. I have also cut out caffeine, but have coffee as a treat sometimes. I don’t drink much alcohol now. One night, I had a bit too much fun with friends, and let’s just say I was paying for it the next week instead of just the next day! Mostly mental fogginess, but I did notice neuropathic pain reappeared as well as some tendon pain.

Starting the semester being recently floxed was very hard. There were times where I wanted to give up, or not get out of bed or get dressed, or just not continue with life. That was not me. What added to this hopelessness was reading stories about worst-case-scenarios in which the author declared to me that my life was officially over.

No matter what, I always got out of bed, got dressed, put on my makeup, and went where I needed to be, again, no matter what. Continue with life. Do something that counts and makes you feel good. Your life is not over. I thought mine was just weeks ago, and now I am very excited for my future again. I’m walking three miles everyday, easily, and have three art exhibitions coming up, have completed many paintings, started an internship, am in school full-time and work part-time. Every day is not perfect, but before being floxed, every day wasn’t either. Life is good, and we will be okay.

** The story above is truthful, accurate and told to the best of the ability of the writer. It is not intended as medical advice. No person who submits his or her story, nor the people associated with Floxie Hope, diagnoses or treats any illness. The story above should not be substituted for professionally provided medical advice. Please consult your doctor before trying anything that has been mentioned in this story, or in any other story on this site. Please also note that people have varying responses to the treatments mentioned in each story. What helps one person may not help, and may even hurt, another person. It is important that you understand that supplements, IVs, essential oils, and all other treatments, effect people differently depending on the millions of variables that make each of us unique. Please use appropriate caution and prudence, and get professional medical advice.

144 thoughts on “Crystal’s Recovery Story – Fluoroquinolone Toxicity

1. Sherri Johnson October 24, 2013 at 2:27 pm Reply

Can you please tell me what extra things you did to recover? Did you take any supplements? I am 3 weeks today post rx and am in so much pain, brain fog, skin burning, joints hurting… i feel so desperate.
    Thank you for any help.
    Sherri

• Amy February 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm Reply

Sherri, How are you feeling now? I sure hope better! Just read this and thinking about you. 🙂

2. Crystal October 25, 2013 at 8:00 am Reply

Sure, Sherri – I’ve been taking Mother Earth angstrom magnesium, RAW One Daily Vitamin for Women, RAW Probiotics Women (only for two months after), a kelp supplement for iodine and a B-complex 50 vitamin – I’ve also switched to drinking mainly distilled water and lots of it, as well as using only non-fluoridated toothpaste. I don’t know if it matters, but I’m also vegetarian (have been for years) so maybe that helps. I was also doing a lot of juicing (beets, carrots, kale, oranges, ginger, etc. [not necessarily that combo!].

To be honest, these past couple weeks I feel better and better, and have fallen off my regimented use of them – but I do notice my sleep starts to become affected when I try to phase out the B vitamin (this has happened on a few occasions).

I’m out almost 13 weeks, and believe me, those first 8 weeks are tough, but after that I started to notice an improvement. My have almost no pain now, whereas everyday for weeks I had it – mostly now I deal with feeling like I’ve lost some IQ points. Hopefully those will grow back. Hang in there, you will notice improvement – overcoming the desperation is the hardest part,

3. Crystal December 26, 2013 at 10:26 pm Reply

I wanted to give everyone an update as to how I’m doing. It’s been almost 5 months to the day since I’ve completed my Cipro prescription. I also wanted to let everyone know that my prescription was for 500mg twice daily for three days, a total of 6 pills. Amazing how 6 pills, $9 worth, can so change someone’s life.

Anywho, I am better than I was when I wrote this out. I have achilles pain on occasion and stiffness in my right calf, but this is the only pain I have now, and it is intermittent (depending on my activity level). I’m no longer taking any supplements and have been sleeping just fine. Some weird dreams still, but a plus is that I’m sleeping very deeply again. I no longer have brain fog (THANK GOODNESS) and my memory has improved, thought I’m not sure how much – maybe I’ve gotten used to being forgetful (or maybe I’ve just had a selective memory all along).

I am having gastrointestinal troubles, but I have been in general for the last couple years. I have a lot of food intolerances, and that’s what led to my Cipro prescription.

Neuropathy only pops up when I’m around smoke for too long. It’s been almost non-existent for the past month.

The main issue now is popping and cracking in all of my joints. None of it is painful, just frustrating to know that these sounds are a direct result of Cipro.

4. Jaja December 28, 2013 at 5:24 pm Reply

Crystal I am so happy you have achieved some normalcy after that nightmare. I read your story everyday. Like you, I am entering my last year of college in January and I am so distraught by this whole thing. I have the same exact symptoms as you and have refused to take sleeping aids as well. Luckily, my body also regulated itself and I am able to sleep a few hours now. I have popping in my joints too but not as bad as in the beginning. Something tells me that this medication diminished the synovial fluid in our joints but that’s just an assumption. How is school going for you? I hate my brain fog too; It comes and goes. I love the little moments of clarity but it always comes back. I’m hoping mine goes away before school starts again but I guess I have to wait and see. I also have some digestive issues, Crohns actually. I was given Cipro for the same type of issue (took 4 250mg pills). Thank you for giving me hope.

5. Jaja December 28, 2013 at 5:27 pm Reply

I got floxed December 6th by the way and have made improvements since then but I’m still terrified of what’s in store for me. This medication causes so much anxiety!

• Crystal January 28, 2014 at 8:08 pm Reply

Hi Jaja, I’m sorry I just now saw your comment! I hope the semester is starting out okay for you – have much hope! I feel just about 100% again! I’ve been meaning to update this again to let everyone know. I have virtually no nerve pain, brain fog or tendon pains. I have some transient burning in my my left shoulder blade, but that’s it (very slight and once every few days, it may not even be related)! I’ve been feeling great for a month now. The popping is also starting to dissipate. My sleep is still normal and my dreams are even no longer ‘weird’.

It’s been 6 months and one day since I finished my prescription, and I am SO relieved to feel normal again. I am even HAPPY (which we floxies know is seemingly impossible at first flexing) and I have seemingly less anxiety than I had before I took Cipro. It may take months to feel like yourself again, but do believe that time is the biggest healer! I never thought I would feel ‘okay’ again, but I do and I am so thankful. Please take care and have hope.

One word of advice is to mention to people that you had a ‘bad reaction’ to a antibiotic (or just say prescription if you don’t want to get into detail) and to bear with you while the side effects subside. I was very open about my floxing, and it made it less stressful to deal with – many people were understanding.

6. Charles Tooraen January 8, 2014 at 6:57 pm Reply

Crystal,

Nice to hear of your good recovery. I myself am hoping for a quick recovery (aren’t we all).
    I also suffer from cracking joints, insomnia, peripheral neuropathy, and a small amount of anxiety. I have seen some minor gains 10 days out. I can now be on my feet for about 20 minutes at a time, whereas before I could barely walk 20 ft. I am hoping and praying the next couple weeks are nice to me…… Keep us posted! Good luck in College. I hope you do well. 🙂

• Crystal January 28, 2014 at 8:13 pm Reply

Hi Charles! I hope you’re doing even better than you were when you posted this. Sorry for my late response, I didn’t realize there were comments! For me, it seemed to get worse before it got better, so if you find that happening, don’t freak too much. I’m pretty much normal again (thank goodness!) Things are going great and I’m keeping up with taking 15 credits at school, an internship and work. My thesis defense is this week and it’s looking awesome.

I hope your insomnia has gone away – that seemed to be the hardest for me. Because at least if I was sleeping, I wasn’t feeling the pain. But once the sleep was gone…man, I just didn’t know what to do. Those were rough times, but know that you’ll get past it. I never thought I would.

Best wishes,

Crystal

• Enkel June 26, 2015 at 6:33 am Reply

Hi Charles,

Do you have joint cracking anymore.

7. Amy January 28, 2014 at 6:17 pm Reply

Crystal, I read your story everyday! Did you ever have burning in your back and shoulders? I am having more of the upper body joint/tendon pains. I am almost 2 weeks post rX. I am sure hoping this will start to get better soon. The peripheral neuropathy and burning all over have already passed, so I am hoping this is a promising thing.

8. Crystal January 28, 2014 at 10:12 pm Reply

Hi Amy!

Yes, I have had burning in my left shoulder blade since my floxing, but now it is very transient. Lately, it’s been happening off and on for the past week (very, very minor compared to before) but was gone for over a month before this. It doesn’t seem to effect anything so I don’t worry about it, and honestly at this point I do wonder if it is Cipro related or not. Probably is, but that’s how minor it is!

Have faith, my forearms were the first to hurt and they hurt for a long time. Now, I don’t even think about it and I can’t even recall the pain that was there. I hope you will get there soon, too! When I was first floxed, 2 years recovery time was very do-able for me (as in, I just wanted to get better) I thought I was in it for the long haul, but my recovery was very quick – which allows me to believe it can be for others, too.

Don’t be scared if the neuropathy comes back – mine made a bad reappearance after not having any for weeks. But that faded and I have yet to have a recurrence (it’s been months now). I mentioned to Charles earlier, it may get worse before it gets better, as it did for me. Think of it as having to hit rock-bottom before you can climb out of the hole. That thought process helped me through this. Hang in there, keep yourself busy (really, it does wonders!) and do things that you love or make you feel accomplished. Only read positive stories about recovery, it made SUCH a difference for me. You will get better, even if at times you feel you won’t. Hang in there.

Crystal

9. Amy January 29, 2014 at 10:04 am Reply

Thank you so much Crystal for taking the time to get back to others! You are a true inspiration! I took Cipro for 3 days and stopped with stomach pain. Then they tried Levaquin for UTI. I should have known better to take it but I stopped after 2 days! Did you ever see a neurologist for the neuropathy? Also, did you ever experience really loud noises awakening you in your sleep and scaring you? (Almost like an electrical jolt to your body?) Thanks again!!! It is all scary but you have to turn to your Faith more than ever in times like these!!!

• Crystal January 29, 2014 at 2:31 pm Reply

Hi Amy – I love the opportunity to give other people hope because I SO desperately needed it when I was first floxed. (there’s a lot of doom and gloom out there as you know)

Good on you for stopping your prescription, I wish I had done the same (but the docs and pharmacists always beat into us to keep taking it no matter what).

I do have a neurologist, but it’s because I have a condition named ‘cavernous angioma’ (a type of vascular tumor, still relatively unknown in the medical community) inside my brain stem, and it has bled once (hemorrhagic stroke) causing neurological symptoms that eventually dissipated.

It turns out that people who have had a stroke or have a brain tumor should NOT take fluoros. :/ yeah. I should have read the pamphlet… So anyway, I did not go to my neuro because I worried that my problems would be blamed on my cavernous angioma and not the Cipro, even though the neurological symptoms from Cipro and the stroke were entirely different. Also, I didn’t want her to just hand me another medication to cover the problem up, which would in turn cause other side effects, which would cause another need for another prescription (you get what I’m saying?).

If you think you’d benefit from seeing a neuro, you should – I figured they would either blame it on my tumor, or give me a scan and confirm that I’m feeling pain, then write a prescription…I’m pretty jaded about medicine now, as you can see. I had also read online that neuropathy can get worse if not treated w/ medication – but this did not happen to me and I wonder who’s behind these assertions in the first place…Just like the insomnia isn’t supposed to ‘go away on it’s own w/out treatment’, but I found that mine did.

Our bodies are incredibly strong and self-healing. Remember that 🙂

About the loud noises/jolts – Sometimes when I’m falling asleep I’ll jolt awake like this, but it’s rare and has happened to me since I was a kid.

10. Amy January 29, 2014 at 3:21 pm Reply

You are a wonderful person!!! I would love to exchange e-mails if you have time! My e-mail is kdamy@hotmail.com. I completely understand and agree about the neuro signs. Everything eventually will balance out. My tingles have already subsided greatly from the prescription. Well I ended up taking more than you, but I never noticed anything with the Cipro just after the Levaquin. Thanks again!

11. amy February 1, 2014 at 8:45 am Reply

Hey Crystal! i had one more question. what did your neuropathy pain feel like? did you have muscle twitches? trying to figure out if this is the nerves or what! haha! what im mainly feeling now is numbness at time down my neck and mid back. thanks again for everything!

12. Crystal February 1, 2014 at 3:48 pm Reply

Hi Amy! Sorry I haven’t sent you an email yet, I’ll do that soon, but i’ll answer your question here in case anyone else is interested. I had to defend my senior thesis this week and it has been crazy busy (but it went very well!)!

My neuropathy was fleeting aching pain in my hands, arms and legs. There would be twinges, and what I would describe as ‘fishing line wrapped around a muscle and tightened’ (my legs typically). The burning was only in my left shoulder blade. Also, my right front tooth was almost constantly tingling/vibrating/slightly aching for months – I was terrified it might rot out or something! Horrific, especially since I don’t even have a single cavity! That subsided just like everything else and my tooth looks fine 🙂

One last thing that I can think of is vibrating sensations in my legs and feet, which has been gone for a few weeks now. It seemed like this was the transition, from pain to vibrations to nothing. For a few weeks, I did have muscle twitches for days, this was in December. I was a bit stressed so it may have been just that.

13. amy February 6, 2014 at 8:32 am Reply

Thank you so much Crystal! Would you have described your brain fogginess with blurred vision? My vision is somewhat blurred now since taking the Levaquin. You are the best for answering questions and providing positive hope!!!! My neuropathy pops up at night after I eat certain things. It is so annoying. 🙂 Hope you are still feeling well and congrats on your thesis!

14. Crystal March 12, 2014 at 8:59 pm Reply

Hello! I wanted to give an update on how I’m doing, now that I’m more than 7 months out from being floxed. I hate having to use that word, and I remember at the very beginning, I thought if I didn’t use that word to describe myself, it meant that what was happening to me was not real.

I’m doing very well. I graduate next month with honors and am excited to move on into my next stage of life. When first floxed, I worried greatly about my future, and I was no longer excited about school or graduating, because the future seemed so uncertain. But life has come out just the way I had planned for it to, and I am SO ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT IT ALL.

But I’m sure you want to know how I’m feeling physically, so I will give you the run down.

The Bad:

I still crack and pop, all the time – it’s a bit embarrassing when I’m in a quiet lecture hall and I get up and the cracks echo off the walls. It’s not painful, but tonight while doing squats for the first time since floxing, I noticed pain in my right knee, which started after it popped several times during squatting. Not looking forward to what this may mean as I age. My achilles hurts on occasion, but this is only around the time of my period and it’s not activity related, which seems weird. The neuropathy acts up very mildly during this time as well, but it’s mostly limited to feelings of raindrops on my skin and rarely transient pain in a specific finger or thumb.

My left wrist and right ankle seem to be hit the worst, as in, I can feel the bones grinding against each other when moving them a certain way – but they’re not painful – and I hope they never will be! I do wonder if the cartilage damage is a progression over time, or a one-off poisoning deal. I wonder this because it seemed it took my joints a couple months to start clicking and popping.

The Good:

My gastrointestinal problems have completely went away, so let’s just say everything is very “regular and healthy”. Thank goodness! My sleep is still very good. No crying episodes or anxiety at all. My brain is super sharp again; I’m acing my papers and able to count down in a cash drawer while holding a conversation with a co-worker. I mean, I could barely comprehend the time on a digital clock when first floxed.

I’d say what has made the BEST recovery out of all this has been my mind! Like, I wasn’t even this content with life before being floxed.

I haven’t taken any supplements in the past 2 months I’d say. I’m a coffee drinker again, hardcore, and eat soy on occasion as well. I’m not sure if these affect me or not, but it is so hard to tell if they DON’T, and consuming my favorite pre-floxing foods make me feel like a normal un-sick person, which therefore makes me so happy that I DON’T CARE!

But aside from all this, when I do feel pain, it’s an accepted part of life now. It’s no longer a death sentence, or a guaranteed ticket to a wheel chair, and it doesn’t make me angry. I tell myself that no one gets out of life alive, and our bodies take a beating while we’re using them. That’s what they’re for. And while mine was unfairly broken down due to a drug that was supposed to help me, I have to accept what cannot be changed. The damage is done – This is my body for the rest of my life, I will live with it, and accept it.

• Lisa Bloomquist March 13, 2014 at 8:40 am Reply

Love it! Thank you for the update, Crystal! I’m so glad that you’re doing well!

• Ruth Young April 10, 2014 at 6:23 pm Reply

Your Achilles hurts around your period because your body uses more magnesium during that time. FQ’s form bonds with magnesium and float it right out of your cells from places nature would never take it from, even if you were starving to death. You are still magnesium deficient in places the drug chelated it out of. Keep taking magnesium whether you feel dramatically better from it or not. I can’t say how much, just don’t go over the safe upper limit of 1,000 milligrams a day and if it ever makes you feel worse, back off. I think you will see less crepitus in your joints with this. When I first was floxed I lost 85% of the muscle tone all over my body. My knees were so unstable I could barely walk. I pushed magnesium like crazy and in a week I regained most of what I lost. So it wasn’t all lean muscle tissue lost. I believe it was a nerve conduction issue from the magnesium deficiency. I’m about 15% less strong than I was now, but my muscles aren’t atrophied anymore like they were. It was freaky how my body seemed 90 years old overnight. But magnesium restored it and still is.
      Weak joints are unstable and that alone can cause the crunching and popping. Your cartilage might still be ok. But it won’t be if the crepitus continues. Push the magnesium and see if in a few weeks to a month you don’t see a change. I think you will. The primary damage of FQ’s is that they float magnesium right out of your cells. Until it’s put back and the cells start to hang into it in a normal way you will continue to have problems. Good luck! You are in my prayers!

• Lisa Bloomquist April 10, 2014 at 8:24 pm Reply

Thanks, Ruth! I agree – many of our symptoms have to do with the magnesium being leached out of our cells.

Since you mentioned flares around the time of your period, I thought I’d mention that when I supplemented uridine, my symptoms stopped flaring before and during my period. I’m not 100% sure that it was because of the uridine. I have stopped supplementing the uridine (I get uridine still from Brewer’s yeast) and I haven’t started flaring again at the time of my period.

That gets better too. Eventually. Along with everything else. Thank God.

• Lyndsey May 20, 2014 at 2:25 pm Reply

Ruth,
        How far out are you? My prescription ran out a month ago, and I have to wear braces on both of my knees. I feel like they are collapsing. It kills my wrists to type this. Same as you, I feel like I am 90 all of a sudden. Every step I take is so careful and intentional because when I don’t think about it something gets hurt really bad! And the period makes it disabling. I feel like I’ve been hobbled! Does this eventually hurt less? I have to pause while shaving to give my hand a rest because it feels like I’ve been using it for hours! I’ve actually always supplemented with magnesium. I’ll try taking more, but my blood levels are within range. Don’t mean to sound so negative, but this is the situation. Just stating the facts. Wanting to know if this is par for the course and if it will get less painful. Thanks for your help!

15. Dee March 13, 2014 at 9:48 am Reply

Crystal, I am so happy for you. You are a young, vibrant person and are giving all of us hope. Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to give us that hope. Your story came to me today at a much needed time.
    Dee

16. Sherri Johnson March 14, 2014 at 8:06 am Reply

Crystal, I’m so glad to hear about your success in recovery. Thank you for sharing with all of us, and updating us. I’m hoping, that very soon, I can display my recovery on here.. I’ve still got some symptoms that mimic fibromyalgia, and still have some neuropathy. Additionally, lately, I feel exhausted. Even when I wake up in the morning, I’m still feeling tired. This a new symptom… Aside, from that I am healing… I know that I am. I am nothing like where I was with my anxiety and fear in that first three weeks when I messaged you. My brain is clear of fog, and I feel like I am gaining strength every day. I’m going to try the stretching every morning now, as you talked about.
    Congrats on your graduation!
    Sherri

17. amy March 15, 2014 at 9:25 am Reply

Sherri, was your brain fog like everything around you just felt weird and out of place sometimes? does that make sense? sometimes it comes on for me where everything around me just doesnt feel normal. just wondering if this is brain fog? thanks! glad you are both seeing improvements!! that makes me so happy!

18. amy March 15, 2014 at 9:39 am Reply

Hi Sherri, how would you describe your brain fog? when mine is bad i feel like everything around me seems weird and out of place. the room all of the sudden just feels different. was yours like this? so happy you and crystal are seeing so much improvement! truly happy for you both! have a happy day!

19. Katie March 16, 2014 at 8:21 am Reply

Sorry I did not mean to post that twice! 🙂

20. Janet March 25, 2014 at 9:31 am Reply

so glad you are doing better, I got through about 30 scripts of cipro with problems but made it through.. the levaquin of 40 pills nuked me.. I have pins and needles over my entire body for 15 months and now my feet are hit and turning Ice frozen cold.. Can you explain what your “neuropathy was like” was it burning, pins and needles.. or body type pain which I always had from the cipro but realize it was “nerve pain similar to fibro pain”.. you will do fine honey.. so glad to hear.

21. Amy March 25, 2014 at 2:49 pm Reply

Janet, did your pains go away that were similar to fibro pain with the Cipro? Does it feel like your bones ache? I don’t know what kind of pain that is, haha!

22. Ruth Young April 11, 2014 at 2:58 pm Reply

Thanks, I’ll look into uridine. Never heard of it. I had a relapse after my last period. But what really gives me relapses if getting sick. It’s like the second I don’t have the cold anymore, “Here we go again!” But no relapse has been as bad as my initial symptoms, and the most recent relapse got steadily better as I pushed magnesium again. I keep making the mistake of thinking this is done and I just eat healthy or just take one pill. At times I’ve had my blood level of magnesium high enough that supplementing made me feel worse. “Good,” I thought. “I’m done with this now.” Nope. It’s weird, because you’d think if my blood level could read high normal (it did) that I’d be ok, but I had definite symptoms of magnesium deficiency a few weeks after that, which were all relieved by pushing magnesium again. That’s why I think the chelation effect does terrible things to us, taking magnesium in a way our body never would have, so our bodies don’t naturally put it back quickly or hang onto it in a normal way. Eventually, this must reverse itself for most people, since most people do get better. You can’t rush it, as I did trying to take too much magnesium, then thinking if I could get too much I must be all right. It’s like getting water into the little hole in my clothes iron. Pour it in too fast and it goes all over the place. You have to trickle it in patiently, and then it fills up. My body is slowly taking up magnesium again. I now spread my supplementing out, a little at a time through the day and I don’t go overboard with it.

23. Amy April 21, 2014 at 1:37 pm Reply

Hi Crystal! Did you have a weird taste in your mouth after being around the smoke for too long when your neuropathy acted up? That happened to me last night and now the horrible taste will no go away!

24. Crystal April 23, 2014 at 8:08 pm Reply

Hey Amy,

I’ve luckily never had trouble with my taste at any time – sorry that you’re having trouble! My neuropathy is acting up today though. It’s such a bummer because I was doing well for so long! I have buzzing in my left foot and random pricks of pain all around my body. Super annoying…When I keep myself busy I don’t notice it, but it’s when I’m trying to relax that it becomes apparent. I wonder if this will be a lifelong issue of cropping up, it’s been almost exactly 9 months now.

I can’t wait for the day when this will be off the market and us Floxies will finally have some acknowledgement and understanding from the general public. Some of my friends don’t understand why I won’t go to the doctor to get treated (they don’t understand that there is no treatment!) and therefore they don’t treat it as seriously.

• Laura June 7, 2014 at 11:44 am Reply

Hi Crystal, Did you ever take anything for your neuropathy? My doctor wants me to take gabapentin. I am not sure how I will respond. My neuropathy seemed to be alleviating but now it is very bad in my right foot. I was wondering if you have ever taken anything for it. I am just nervous to take any medication. Glad to hear you are doing so well.

• Angie January 8, 2015 at 11:48 am Reply

Recommend having your B6 and B12 levels checked. Also take B complex and ALA…supports CNS

25. Amy April 24, 2014 at 9:19 am Reply

Hey Crystal! I am so sorry you are experiencing set backs. Keep your head up! I’m praying for you! Maybe it’s just a cycle and won’t last too long. I know how you feel when it all comes back. It’s so weird b/c at about the same time you had your neuropathy set back I had one at 14 weeks also after being around smoke! Now the tendons hurt all over again! I am praying this will all go away one day but it’s hard to stay positive when it keeps coming back! I am trying Plexus right now (it has alpha lipoic acid in it) Heard it helps fibromyalgia sufferers so hoping maybe it will help and give me some energy!!!

26. Crystal May 8, 2014 at 8:14 pm Reply

Hey guys,

It’s me checking in again! Sooo…in my earlier posts I mentioned gaining back the weight that I lost and er, I think I gained an extra 10 pounds since then. Tomorrow I’m starting up walking 3 miles daily again, and am a little nervous as to how my muscles and tendons will perform! This winter was a mess, so all physical activity went by the wayside.

I’ll let you guys know how I do – nerve pain is very minimal, hasn’t acted up in about a week. I do on occasion have a shooting pain in my right leg – acts up about once every few weeks or month – used to be several times-a-day, almost like a shocking sensation. It was very, very slight today, whoo hoo!

P.S. after being floxed going into my senior year of college, I graduated Summa Cum Laude a couple weeks ago!

• Mark June 2, 2014 at 6:42 am Reply

Hi Crystal,

Can you tell me please how many days it took for the first side effects to appear after the last pill and when the side effects peaked?

I’m on TRT and got 2x500mg Cipro for 10 days.
      During treatment it wasn’t bad at all but started 2 days after the last pill.
      Now, 2 weeks after the last pill, pain and emotional discomfort has gotten worse.
      And after my recent testosterone shot my muscles and tendons feel a little stiffer.

Mark

• Lyndsey June 2, 2014 at 7:21 am Reply

Hi, Mark. I realize you were not addressing me with your question, but it in my inbox and wanted to give you a quick answer. My symptoms peaked two weeks after my last pill. I noticed several days into my cipro prescription (2×500 for 7 days) when I walked it felt like the tendons in my arches were going to snap and I had random joint swelling, but the worst of it came 2 weeks after the discontinuation of treatment. A lot of what I read of other people’s stories probably exacerbated my symptoms as many are terrifying reads. After that two week mark I started getting better and haven’t been symptomatic since the month off mark which was 2 weeks ago. I agree with everyone that says to take magnesium. I think that helped. One thing that I did that I have not seen mentioned here was supplementing with gelatin. I like the Great Lakes brand because it uses grass fed cows, but any would be beneficial. I haven’t had any trouble with anxiety, inflammation or insomnia since I started it and it also rebuilds collagen and provides host of other things that my body was lacking due to my diet consisting of muscle meats and not the whole animal. I could feel its benefit within 15 minutes. I sleep like a baby now which I haven’t done in 20 years. Anyway, there are very few stories on here about quick recoveries. It took me three floxings to connect the dots and realize that it was the antibiotics and not strange symptoms related to whatever I was sick with, but I recovered each time. I just wanted to tell you that because when I was fearful and reading about this I only found it written that the opposite was true if you had been floxed before and that just isn’t true. I apologize for the choppiness of this – – small children at my feet! I hope you get better soon!

• Enkel June 18, 2015 at 3:44 am

Hi Lyndsey,

How long did it took to recover with gelatin for joints and tendons?

Thanks

• Ruth Young June 2, 2014 at 8:11 am Reply

I second Lyndsey’s vote for Great Lakes Gelatin. I love that stuff. I think I’ll order a can for my parents too when I reorder it.

• Mark June 2, 2014 at 9:08 am Reply

Hi Ruth and Lyndsey,

Thanks for the input.
        Which one of the collagen supplements did you take, they have 3 different types.

And how did your symptoms improve?

Mark

• Ruth Young June 2, 2014 at 10:27 am Reply

I bought the one in the green can from Great Lakes Gelatin. It is called collagen hydrolysate. I guess is didn’t realize there were other kinds. I would think they are all good. I might have to try the others.

• Crystal June 5, 2014 at 1:21 pm Reply

Hi Mark,

My neuropathy started 2 days after my last dose. Insomnia followed the next week, along with depression, brain fog, widespread tendon pain – I mean, pretty much every symptom they name on the label I had. It peaked around this time, so the first month was excruciating, the second, bad, the third tolerable, and so on and so on. The first couple months are misery, just remind yourself – there is light at the end of this tunnel. I hope it doesn’t get worse for you. My dosage was 500mg twice daily, three days. 6 pills in all. But, turns out I shouldn’t have had coffee with the script – and I certainly love my coffee. I think that’s where my interaction started.

Be mindful of supplements – i threw down so much cash, buying anything to help myself heal. The best thing I think I did was juicing, because then these are whole vitamins, along with enzymes and all that great stuff you can’t get with a pill. I don’t take a single supplement now, or in months.

27. Ruth Young May 20, 2014 at 3:07 pm Reply

Lyndsey,
    I was like you for about a month– joints unstable, very weak, it hurt to stand, everything got tight all the time, and my teeth were very loose, brittle and sensitive to temperature. By the second month those things were quite a bit better. I’m three months and a few days out now and my body feels normal. Normal muscle tone, I’m building muscle again, I can stand for long periods, teeth aren’t so sensitive, but they still loosen up and then and then tighten up again. My ankles get tight. My left Achilles’ tendon is getting better though.
    I think my symptoms now are due to downgrading of GABA receptors– even my tight ankles are from a damaged CNS. They seem to only get tight if I relax or walk too much.
    Initially, when I was tightening up a lot I found that using my body normally loosened it up. I think that’s from magnesium rushing out and calcium rushing in. You gotta clear all those calcium crystals that are sitting in the muscles. Muscle contractions help. I’d feel like I’d sprained my ankle, walk normally a little and it felt fine. Same for wrists, hands, you name it– moving it helped. Also putting magnesium on my skin right where it was tight or hurt and doing lots of ultrasound seemed to speed up the process.
    Strong magnesium baths helped. Getting as much magnesium as I could tolerate into me as quickly as I could helped tremendously.
    That alone won’t fix a damaged CNS or mitochondrial damage. But it helped with the joint stability, muscle tone, and gave me back my ability to exercise. But I also suspect I was mildly floxed and got off lucky. And I have a lot of testosterone for a woman (my saliva test for hormone replacement therapy confirmed it) so I build muscle very fast and a lot of it.
    Dr. Whitcomb is always saying not to be afraid of too much magnesium if your kidneys are healthy. They will clear it if you get too much. I try to take a little at a time throughout the day because what good is it if I pee it out? Too much at once will give you diarrhea also. Some people like angstrom magnesium because it won’t cause the GI problems other forms can.
    Hope that helps!
    Ruth

28. Lyndsey May 21, 2014 at 7:08 am Reply

Ruth,
    Thank you for your reply! This information is helpful; our stories are very similar. How do you fix CNS and mitochondrial damage? Thanks!

29. Ruth Young May 21, 2014 at 8:17 am Reply

Lyndsey,
    I think mostly time, and I think Lisa will tell you the same thing.
    I believe L-Theanine is helping to heal me and I think it’s because it increases dopamine. Dopamine might be the key. There’s no research to back this up. Most researchers just work in proving FQ’s cause the damage they do and in explaining why this damage occurs. There’s very little out there done to research a cure. No wonder. Most doctors don’t believe it happens!

I take Idebenone, MitoQ, and PQQ. I can’t prove they work, but my recovery has been quite swift, considering where I started. I also am hoping Calm PRT, like Theanine, is doing more than making symptoms tolerable. I again have no proof, only theories and the fact that I’m feeling pretty good most days.
    I would just avoid anything that binds to GABA receptors and focus on anything that gives you more dopamine, which includes pleasurable activities. I find music from the classical period helps– Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn. Baroque music makes me worse, except for the slow movements. There is something about the logic, order and balance of the classical period that seems to be healing to my damaged CNS. But everybody is different and FQ’s damage us by more than one mechanism.
    Is it magnesium deficiency? Is it an imbalance between calcium, magnesium and zinc? (FQ’s can float all of these right out of your body, but they seem to prefer to bind with magnesium.) Is it truly mitochondrial damage or just the downgrading of GABA receptors? Or is it the fluoride, as some suggest?
    What I do is try not to panic, but just follow my routine of supplements, topical magnesium and magnesium baths, good nutrition, ultrasound where it’s tight or sore, lots of down time including meditation, listening to music and being in nature, and getting my exercise and stretching in every day, to whatever extent I’m able. I try to just follow my routines and not panic when symptoms flare. I know I’m doing all I can at this point and time is my friend. I also know I’m very lucky. I just walked for about forty minutes and could have done more. My damaged CNS is still making me feel anxious when I’m not and giving me burning sensations all over my body. But I can exercise and that helps to heal the CNS damage. People in protracted Benzo withdrawal are advised to exercise. The horrible thing about FQ’s is that they damage you in the same way as Benzo’s but can also leave you physically disabled. Why doctors are still prescribing them is beyond me.

• Lyndsey June 2, 2014 at 11:03 am Reply

Are you still feeling pretty good, Ruth? I quit Benzos 10 years ago. Horrific experience! So glad the Cipro did not trigger the same response! After I wrote to you that day everything turned around and I’ve been feeling normal for the most part. I try not to think about the stories of people waking up months later with it hitting them, but I do wonder how common it is.

• Ruth Young June 2, 2014 at 11:51 am Reply

Lyndsey,
        I seem to be slowly and steadily getting better. Some tightness persists in my ankles, but it’s lessening. Sometimes my knees and calf muscles feel it too, but I’m not limited by it in any way. Physically I am quite well. I even hiked at Devil’s Lake. I still take 400-600 mg of magnesium plus Epsom salt baths and magnesium oil on my skin and a diet high in magnesium rich foods. Despite all that my front tooth wiggles loose now and then and I was a lot more stiff and sore from hiking than I normally would be, but pushing magnesium helped that. I don’t have much fatigue, I’m stronger, and even have some cardiovascular endurance back. It’s the psychological symptoms that remain. My heart races from too much stimulation– watching TV, listening to the radio, even typing on my phone like this can cause panic and a fluttering heart and often nerve pain in my face. Half my face went numb the other day while listening to polka music in the car. Stimulation can actually be painful.
        I can work but a lot of my down time is spent just sitting there with everything quiet. But today and yesterday I could be on the computer a bit more and I could tolerate more tv. So it, like everything else, comes and goes.
        I need at least an hour of zero stimulation before bed in order to sleep. I have a really hard time winding down. An evening hike at Pike Lake, though much enjoyed and beautiful, caused me to get about two hours of sleep that night! I used to love evening hikes and polka music, but now my damaged CNS just says no. I had WTKM on in the car after my hike (the polka station) and I think it was just too much stimulation.
        But the burning sensations on my skin and the tinnitus are almost gone now, so that gives me hope.

When Cipro keeps me from doing what I love, even though my remaining symptoms are mild, I get so angry at my doctor that I can barely contain myself. On the other hand, I know that my psychological symptoms are actually quite mild compared to a lot of people and I do get a good night’s sleep most nights, so I shouldn’t bitch. I can relax. I can exercise. Too much time on the computer or in front of the boob tube isn’t good anyway.

Thanks for asking though! Most people who know me just assume it’s been so long I must be all better now. I look good, I hiked up a bluff, so how can I still be sick? They can’t see the psychological symptoms.

Were your post Benzo symptoms at all like my psychological symptoms?

• Lyndsey June 2, 2014 at 12:54 pm Reply

Oh I get that racing heart thing every once in a while since Cipro. It’s so annoying! Do you take anything for your nerves? They do make supplements to support your CNS. I take one that “relaxes irritable nerves and muscle tension and supports the cns” It says to take four a day, but I only take one at night. I should take it in the day though because I need it then too. I can get overstimulated pretty quickly in certain places i.e. Chuck E Cheese’s on a busy day with all of the machines going, Wal-Mart Supercenter’s lights overwhelm me sometimes, bright sun. At church yesterday the music was really bad and the drum cymbal was really bothering me. I’ve just learned to live with those things and try to plan ahead with some kind of supplement that supports stress. I have several that I like that I rotate. The actual withdrawing of the benzos I don’t remember just a whole lot about. It was very terrifying. There were shadows that were taller than I am filling the room and moving all around me. I remember hiding behind my couch and crying because I assumed they were demons. To this day I don’t know if that was just some sort of visual disturbance or what I thought it was, but the stress of it all fried my nervous system. I remember times where I was coherent, but my body was completely paralyzed. I wanted to move and couldn’t and literally thought on a few occasions that it was death that I was experiencing. My body was shutting down. However, I had been on a high dose of benzos for 5 years, quit them cold turkey and did not know anything about supplements at the time so I went a much harder road than necessary! Are your adrenals in good shape? Do you have any essential oils you can smell when you get overstimulated. I have one called Panic Button for panicky feelings, Pillow Potion for nighttime… They make all kinds of blends. You would probably like it in your bath too. And of course the stress herbs I couldn’t live without. I didn’t see; were you on benzos too or just read about the connection?

• Ruth Young June 2, 2014 at 1:58 pm Reply

I take the CalmPRT from a company called NeuroScience and it really helps. It has Rhodiola Rosea, among other things. And the Theanine and Idebenone also help.

The oils would do me no good, I have very little sense of smell– never did. It runs in the family. I never really knew until we tested cranial nerves in my neuro class and I couldn’t tell vanilla from peanut butter from citrus. I need to know what a smell is before I can identify it. My brain must fill in the gaps. Once we drove by a pizza restaurant and I thought we’d hit a skunk. When my brain didn’t know what that smell was it decided it must have been a skunk. Really smelled like skunk to me, but my husband said it was garlic. Must have been strong. Usually I don’t notice odors at all.

Chuck E Cheese is a painful experience even without Cipro!

Riding through my hometown last weekend (it’s a garish, overdone, tacky tourist trap) was interesting with a damaged CNS. Thank goodness Jeff was driving. I closed my eyes.

I have read accounts where people said all their psychological symptoms went away, so I guess this will too.

Turns out I took Cipro in the 1980’s. Too bad I remembered too late. I had the perception back then that there was a demon in the bottle of pills. My parents’ house is a scary old place and we had had some incidences of things flying through the air on their own, sounds with no explanation of their source and my mom saw kids dressed like Little House on the Prairie in the yard. So I wasn’t sure at first. My psychological symptoms were very much like yours as you went through Benzo withdrawal. I had visual and auditory hallucinations, but I thought it was just the house. It was those damn pills. But I recovered so fast after throwing them out that I just forgot about it until it was too late and I’d taken Cipro again. Maybe I wasn’t ever sure it was the pills. Now I know I did have a bad psychological reaction to Cipro before. Wish I’d remembered sooner.

• Ruth Young June 2, 2014 at 2:02 pm Reply

I never took a Benzo, thank goodness. But it helped me to read that my symptoms are similar to those going through withdrawal from Benzo’s. People get through Benzo withdrawal, so I figure I can get through this. It still sucks. But I can get through it.

• Lyndsey June 2, 2014 at 2:20 pm Reply

Oh that gives me goosebumps! Hard to sort out what is what in a house like that. We live near a haunted touristy town that I used to love, but can’t stand to go to anymore. I just feel like creepy dead things are following me around and watching me, lol. Heebie Jeebies! After seeing how much I recovered from my Benzo withdrawal I definitely have high hopes for your your recovery. All of these things take a toll on the body, but it heals itself provided you give it what it needs. That was when I learned all that I could about nutrition, supplements and what motivates my doctor. My health is in my hands.

This is the third time I have been subjected to the FQ’s. It didn’t occur to me until this time that that’s what was going on until I was in the ER at my two week off mark thinking, “Gee every time I have been to the ER I had this medicine shortly before.” I always thought I had strange symptoms with my illnesses rather than the medicine causing it. Last time I had two weeks of Avelox for pneumonia, and I thought it was really odd that a respiratory infection could cause me to lose so much of my vision. It took 4 months to resolve. And before that I had mono and they thought I had MS and sent me for a brain/spinal cord scan and the most horrific nerve conduction tests. It was bad too because they injected a steroid with it. Again, I thought I just got strange symptoms. It was the meds the whole time. Scary. I’ve switched doctors because I am angry with mine too and firing her makes me feel a little better. My new doctor and pharmacist have FQ’s listed under my medication allergies now so I wont get them again. I hate pharmaceuticals.

What is your hometown?

• Ruth Young June 2, 2014 at 3:30 pm Reply

I grew up in the Wisconsin Dells area. It’s gotten all crazy now with waterparks, but I still love the Wisconsin River. The thought of getting out on the river again kept me going through the worst times. My upper body was barely affected by the Cipro. So I figured even if I could barely walk I’d be able to paddle the canoe, and Jeff does most of the paddling anyway. If the canoe could be propelled by talking I’d be a great help and we’d be the fastest thing on the river.

And yet, before we even got onto the river (it’s scary high yet) I hiked the nearby Baraboo bluffs, something I had kind of written off, thinking I’d never be able to do that again. Compared to the mountains Lisa used to hike the bluffs are like little pimples, but they’re the highest things I’ve ever climbed up. I was devastated thinking I’d never get up there again, but I did it and it wasn’t that hard.

So despite my lingering discomforts, life is good!

• Lyndsey June 3, 2014 at 8:05 am Reply

Oh neat. I have two families in my neighborhood from Neenah. One of them is actually moving back there this month. It sounds like a really nice place.

It’s very encouraging to make those accomplishments. I thought for a bit that I was going to need to buy a wheelchair. I’m like you; my lower body got hit the hardest, but there was a day both of my hands hurt too much to move. My achilles is bothering me today and I get weird tight feeling sensations below the skin. Trying to keep busy and keep it ignored!

Hope you have a great day!

• Ruth Young June 3, 2014 at 9:08 am Reply

My husband is originally from Neenah!
        I get those tight feelings under my skin around my ankles mostly. Keeping moving helps.
        I had the occasional bout of pain in my upper body too, but moving the affected part always helped and then he pain went away.
        You read about people having that horrible stiffness come back months later and affect new parts. I always hope that won’t be me, or that it will at least keep to just my lower body so that I can retain use of my hands. Seems like it’s seldom permanent, but it can hang around for months and I don’t even want to think about months of not being able to use my hands or arms properly.

You have a great day too!

• Lyndsey June 6, 2014 at 12:31 pm Reply

Oh neat; small world! I hope that too. I believe wholeheartedly that the body heals itself when given the necessary components, and It sounds like you are feeding your affected systems well. Just try to live in the moment and not worry about what happened yesterday or what will happen tomorrow. I hope you can shake the rest of your symptoms soon 🙂

• Mark June 9, 2014 at 7:31 am Reply

Hey,

Good points.

Imho it’s mitochondrial damage, slowed down or even stopped cell activity, magnesium deficiency aka fluoride poisoning, an increase in MMPs, gut related issues that affect brain functions, etc…

Mark

30. Lyndsey June 2, 2014 at 9:39 am Reply

Mark, I like the green the best because it dissolves in liquid. The red is good if you want to make Jell-O or desserts. What I have read suggests that your body assimilates more nutrients from the green one which is another reason it’s my favorite. A good probiotic is important right now too. I did two weeks of 200 billion and dropped to 100. The 200 knocked out my brain fog in a few days. And I can’t stress healthy diet enough.

• Mark June 7, 2014 at 4:11 am Reply

Hi Lyndsey,

Are you now healthy again after 7 weeks?

How long did it take you to recover the other 2 times?

Mark

• Lyndsey June 7, 2014 at 12:38 pm Reply

I think so. Up until the 4 week off mark I kind of obsessed about “cipro damage”. I went from feeling completely hobbled to just fine practically overnight. I tripled my magnesium and went to my chiropractor, and haven’t been slowed down by it since. Every once in a while my achilles will talk to me a little bit, I stretch and keep going. The other two took a lot longer. I didn’t know what it was then, and therefore did not take any supplements to nourish the damaged systems. I thought I was just experiencing strange extra symptoms of the illnesses I was being treated for. This is the only one that gave me tendon pain. The Avelox blurred my vision for 4 months and I had about 4 months of fatigue too, but it could have been from having pneumonia. The first experience I had mono and was out of sorts for a good year or so. But they gave me a steroid shot at the same time which I’ve read is terrible to do in conjunction with FQs. I’ve also read not to take ibuprofen for a year because that can make you worse too. I was terrified a month ago because I felt like I would be crippled forever and so many people on the internet called it a death sentence, but that isn’t always true. I’ve never participated in any online conversation like this, but wanted to put out here for other stressed out people to have hope for a speedy resolution. I made myself feel a lot more scared than I had to by reading all of the horror stories. When I was two weeks out I couldn’t walk without crying from the pain. I couldn’t use my hands because there was so much pain in my hands wrists and elbows. It did not continue for long at all. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

31. Amy June 6, 2014 at 9:54 am Reply

HI Crystal! How long did your anxiety last? Mine went away for a good month and is now back full force when pain returned! I am almost 5 months out now. 🙂 Thanks!

32. Amy June 6, 2014 at 11:06 am Reply

Lyndsey- how far out are you and how much did you take? I know everyone is different, but just curious. 🙂 Ruth- I have the same exact psych symptoms that are so much better, but I am having a cycle right now where violent images/ sad things on tv are really getting to me and make me feel sick to my stomach and cause panic. I wonder if these ever heal??? Thanks!

• Ruth Young June 6, 2014 at 6:00 pm Reply

Amy,
      I have at times since being floxed been aware of a terrifying darkness within myself. Once when relaxing while listening to music it’s like a voice in my head just kept telling me things like, “You are so useless, because you weren’t much good when you were well and now you’ve been floxed and you’re doubly useless.” I had to get up and get busy because it wouldn’t stop.
      As a Christian I believe we are fallen creatures in a cursed world. It seems like the damage to the CNS from Cipro erodes what ability we might have to lie to ourselves and say we are really good people deep down, and shows us how much darkness really lives in us. It’s been a horrifying experience, and I know a lot of people say FQ’s are right out of hell and drag you down there with them. I’d say that’s spot on in a very literal way, but that’s my belief system. I call on the one in Whom there is no darkness at all constantly to break the darkness in me and flood me with His light.

The kids where I teach music learned this song, “Nothing Can Keep Us From the Love of God” a couple months ago. They have no idea how much it helped me to hear their little voices singing that song.

If you don’t have a spiritual belief system I would say focus as much as you can on what is good, turn off the TV, get out in nature, exercise if you’re able. I really think it will all go away and the scary and uncomfortable experiences can make us stronger and give us a new perspective on life. But we aren’t ever going to be the same. I was widowed at age 25 and I knew after that happened I had suffered too much and I’d never be the same person again. The kid I had been was gone, the adult had come. I think FQ toxicity, even a mild case like mine, is life changing in the same way. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

33. Lyndsey June 6, 2014 at 12:21 pm Reply

April 21st was my last dose so…6 almost 7 weeks. I took 500mg 2x day for 7 days. Several years ago I took 2 weeks of Avelox and the year before that they injected an FQ in me along with a steroid. All three times put me in the ER when symptoms hit followed by lots of testing. I recovered each time, but it took this 3rd time to realize the antibiotic was the culprit. I’m sorry you are having psych symptoms. Those are so disturbing; I hope it will be a quick cycle for you!

34. Amy June 6, 2014 at 1:16 pm Reply

Thank you Lyndsey! So you have recovered every time? That’s good to know! Did you have psych symptoms, if so how long did they last?

• Lyndsey June 7, 2014 at 12:44 pm Reply

As far as I can tell. Don’t know if anything I can’t see is damaged or not, but I feel healthy and strong. I had extreme anxiety at first exacerbated by reading about what I thought was my impending doom! I had terrible psych symptoms on another drug similar to Ruth’s so I can relate from that experience.

• Lyndsey June 7, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reply

Oh I and I got paranoid for a few days too. Very disturbing! But it was short lived.

• Mark June 8, 2014 at 7:07 am Reply

That’s cool to hear.

So for you magnesium was the cure?

I heard the same thing (saturate yourself with magnesium) and am currently taking pills, mag oil and footbaths.
        Did the magnesium make you feel a little worse initially as well?

When did you start with the magbesium?

What else did you take?

I just found out that the ear drops they gave me while treating me with Cipro contain corticosteroids as well hope it’s not as bad as in pill form or injections.

The other thing is that I’m on TRT which should help with cell turnover etc…no idea though if it’s actually helping or not. Lol

A couple things I researched to this point are that the mechanism of damage by Cipro is definitely magnesium deficiency coupled with mitochondrial damage.
        Those things slow down and even can halt cell cell functions (division, etc).

Another thing is that it increases matrix metalloproteinases which are involved in the breaking down processes of all kinds of tissues.
        (Magnesium inhibits MMP2 to a certain degree fyi.)

Lastly the stomach (candida, bacteria overgrowth, chemical imbalances) seems to be involved in a lot of longterm side effects like food allergies, recurring side effects, psychological disorders involving dopamine and serotonine, etc…)

Hope that you can answer some of my questions.
        I’m 3 weeks out now after the last pill.

Mark

• Mark June 8, 2014 at 7:35 am Reply

One more thing I forgot to ask, what things are to be avoided regarding diet?

Currently I’m eating sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats, chicken, turkey, eggs, olive oil, salads, bananas, apples, apple cider vinegar, garlic, celtic sea salt and vegetables.
        All organic except for the sweet potatoes.

Regards

• Lyndsey June 9, 2014 at 6:04 pm Reply

Is it a curable thing? I just know that most of my symptoms have subsided and the ones that come back are tolerable, just annoying. Today my knees had that buckling feeling again. The pains I still get seem to increase on rainy days like today or at particular times of hormones being up or down. Sorry don’t want to give TMI. I was always on magnesium because I like to drink coffee and the coffee flushes some out. I think I tripled it at the one month mark and that lasted about a week. I take a product called Calm Magnesium that has calcium in it too. It’s a powder that you add to liquid. I’ve heard the body assimilates liquid better. I told you about the gelatin already. That helped a lot with my inflammation. A lot of my joints actually swelled up and that really knocked it out quickly. I’ve noticed other positive benefits as well such as deep restful sleep and increased muscle mass. I lost quite a bit in the beginning. Another thing I added which I think is good for anyone is a fulvic acid/minerals supplement. You can buy organic vegetables all day from the health food store, but they are still likely devoid of many necessary nutrients due to the quality of the soil being poor. It actually reverses mitochondrial damage and increases your body’s ability to absorb the minerals it takes in as well. Gives the cells energy. Gives me energy! I initially took a probiotic by RenewLife that had 200 Billion count for two weeks then dropped down to the one with 1 billion. Before that everything I ate upset my stomach, and my brain was foggy. I bought a juicer too and tried to do the OZ 3 day juice fast, but it made me feel horrible. Maybe too much detoxing too fast. Your diet looks great. I honestly haven’t researched this very much at all to tell you what foods to avoid. My best guess would be some kind of candida type diet. I think protein is important to rebuild muscle too whether it be a shake or meat, but again balance it out with the gelatin. We are constantly bombarded by things in our environment, the products we use on our bodies, and the “foods” that we put in our mouths that are destructive to us. It’s like tug of war the good vs. the bad. Your body will heal. More quickly if the good side is stronger. Have you noticed any improvement so far?

35. Ruth Young June 9, 2014 at 8:02 am Reply

Mark,
    I think so long as you avoid caffeine, MSG, highly processed refined carbs and sugars and artificial sweeteners you will be fine. Some people develop gluten intolerance post floxing, but I just read an article that said gluten intolerance is a symptom of vitamin C deficiency. Vitamin C is something we really need to heal anyway– it helps with tendon healing and we do need antioxidants after floxing. So if you get enough vitamin C I think wheat products in small amounts would be ok. They do increase inflammation for everyone, or so I’ve heard, so I try not to go overboard with bread. I need to lose weight so carbs aren’t my friends right now anyway.
    Some people are keen to avoid meat from animals that might have been given FQ antibiotics. I don’t worry about it. Any place that is cramming animals into dirty conditions requiring the use of FQ’s to keep them alive will not waste any money giving an antibiotic close to slaughter. They are all about maximizing profits. Also, they cannot legally send them to slaughter with the antibiotic in their system. Nor can a cow be milked who was given an antibiotic. My husband worked for a feed mill in Darboy and got to know all about farming while working there. He said there’s no way FQ’s are in meat, milk or eggs. Even were the FQ still in the meat, heat from cooking would destroy it. If you’re still worried, take a magnesium pill with dinner. They say not to take magnesium with Cipro, because magnesium deactivates Cipro.
    We buy our meat from Haen’s in Darboy, because they only buy animals that actually were able to graze, to live normally as cows should live. I avoid meat from animals that spent their whole lives crammed into tight filthy conditions being forced fed to get them quickly to market because such treatment of animals is unethical, not because I worry that I will be poisoned by the same FQ’s they were poisoned with.

• Mark June 9, 2014 at 9:24 am Reply

Hi Ruth!

There is maltitol in my probiotic and sorbitol in my lozenges for sore throat.
      What exactly is bad about them, I mean especially with Cipro?

Mark

36. Ruth Young June 9, 2014 at 10:23 am Reply

Aspartame (Nutrasweet) affects excitatory receptors, so for a person just having taken a drug that’s known to damage GABA receptors, you don’t want that.
    I have heard they are all bad for you, but I don’t know the chemistry or biology behind the reasons why. I have had some things with artificial sweeteners since being floxed, but never aspartame.
    The others are probably ok unless you notice they flare your symptoms.

• Mark June 9, 2014 at 10:58 am Reply

Thanks for the tip with the aspartame Ruth.

Mark

• Ruth Young June 9, 2014 at 1:23 pm Reply

Anytime, Mark, glad to help if I can.
        I noticed you commented that magnesium makes you feel worse. I had that issue at times. I would get a paradoxical response to magnesium in that it would make my blood pressure spike and my heart pound, when normally magnesium does just the opposite to your body.
        I think it’s the loss of GABA receptors. Take enough magnesium to make you sleepy and relaxed and downgraded GABA receptors can give you the exact opposite response. But the symptoms from loss of GABA receptors cycle, so there will be times you can tolerate more magnesium. The general rule of thumb is that when using supplements if you ever feel worse you stop for a couple days and come back at a lower dose. Sometimes you just have to do that, but then keep increasing that lower dose as you can tolerate it. Get as much into you as you can, but if your body says no, then take a break from it. I increased my dietary intake of magnesium rich foods: salmon, mozzarella cheese, yogurt, and almonds became staples for me and still are. Sometimes supplements are hard to tolerate with a damaged CNS, but you can still get magnesium through food. I’m currently taking 400-600 mg of magnesium daily plus mag oil and Epsom salt baths. I’ll probably try to stay at around that level for about a year. This is such a long haul– we get damaged very quickly, but we don’t heal quickly.

Symptoms from the loss if GABA receptors seem to burn through a lot of magnesium due to the stress the body experiences. Also, one of my symptoms in a flare up is increased urination, so I’m excreting more of what I take in at that time. So there’s more reason to keep up with magnesium therapy than just to replace what was lost to chelation from the Cipro. People going through Benzo withdrawal are advised to take magnesium, but many complain that they can’t tolerate the supplements. So FQ’s not only chelate magnesium, they put your body into a state where it is burning through more magnesium than usual, but can’t tolerate supplemental magnesium very well.

The ER doc’s only answer to my pounding heart and soaring BP was to stop magnesium supplementation even as he said magnesium wouldn’t do that. Why no desire to find out why I was getting a paradoxical response to magnesium? I am very fed up with the medical profession. I’m having another relapse and as my symptoms worsen and I know I won’t be able to sleep (or even relax) all night I’m just getting more and more furious. Increased hostility is a symptom if downgraded GABA receptors. Believe me, I am feeling hostile.

• Mark June 9, 2014 at 2:35 pm Reply

That’s understandable Ruth just let it all out towards the doctor that gave you this stuff.
      I would even try to sue him or her, and not give in.

All of this is not easy I know.
      It’s such a complex subject it’s crazy to think that it all came from an antibiotic.
      I used to take all kinds of antibiotics for sinus issues even while training 4 hours daily and never even got diarrhea.
      So for me antibiotics aren’t the problem actually but specifically those quinolones.

Anyway did you try prescript assist?
      It’s supposed to be a better probiotic than the regular ones because it’s soil based.

Mark

• cluelessdoctors October 17, 2014 at 8:50 pm Reply

Ruth, artificial sweeteners release even more insulin than regular sugar and since they find no sugar, they just float in your blood. This causes insulin resistance, i.e. diabetes II. I recommend to everyone to stop sugar and sugar substitutes; Stevia is a sugar substitute as is agave and all natural sugars. Honey is pure fructose as are all fruit juices once they are not the insoluble fiber. Without the insoluble fiber, fructose becomes ethanol–the stuff we put into our cars… it causes fatty liver disease. Try to avoid anything sweet as much as possible and also processed foods (including cured ham) because they use sugar. Sugar is like salt… kills all organic matter…

37. Bobby M July 27, 2014 at 2:30 pm Reply

Hello there, I was prescribed cipro 500 for an undiagnosed stomach condition, the doc was quite vague with me when inquiring about the medication. so far I’m about 60 hours out from my last dose and I have random muscle tenderness that goes away and minimal joint pain. I’m currently deployed to Afghanistan so if this were to become full fledged I’d be quite scared. The pain isn’t increasing nor is it becoming more current, its just kind of stagnant.

• Lisa Bloomquist July 27, 2014 at 3:38 pm Reply

Hi Bobby,

Since getting a range of supplements there probably isn’t easy, I suggest that you see if you can get some Milk of Magnesia. I would think that it would be available from a military doc. If there is another magnesium supplement available, you can try it too. Be close to a toilet if you take lots of it.

Avoid NSAIDs.

Hopefully it won’t blow you up like it has blown up many people. Many more people are lucky though. I hope that you are a lucky one and that this passes quickly for you!

38. Bobby M July 27, 2014 at 3:43 pm Reply

I appreciate your prompt response, I had actually unknowingly taken a low dose ibuprofen once during the cipro cycle. Is there a chance that I could still just be having light symptoms and do some people typically see side effects that happen not to worsen?

• Lisa Bloomquist July 27, 2014 at 4:22 pm Reply

I think that many people (myself included) have mild to un-noticeable reactions that we get through quickly before we have a reaction that kicks us down. I didn’t have much of a reaction the first time I took cipro. But, looking back on things, I did have mild symptoms. I was still able to do everything that I wanted to do – both physically and mentally. It was only after the second time that I took cipro that my body and mind exploded.

I don’t know how over your threshold you are. Hopefully you’ll recover quickly and it won’t feel like a bomb has gone off in you.

39. Bobby M July 27, 2014 at 4:58 pm Reply

Well it’s comforting to read these testimonials and to see other people’s optimism. Had I not been prescribed this crazy antibiotic, I would have never known of your website. So regardless of the severity of my symptoms, I hope that I can support and represent your community as a military member. I’m sure many veterans have been affected throughout the years and are diagnosed with something completely different.

40. Cole September 20, 2014 at 6:28 pm Reply

Bobby, how did you end up?

41. Crystal October 2, 2014 at 6:52 pm Reply

Hey all,

It’s been over a year now for me and I’m mostly pretty good. I mean, I’m way better than I imagined I’d be when I first finished my script. My neuropathy acts up from time to time, very minor and manageable. I recently learned that this ‘itching’ I’ve had on the bottom of my left foot for over a year is actually neuro – just glad everything else usually feels like rain drops otherwise I’d go insane.

Though pain is virtually non-existent at this point comparatively, I still have the popping and cracking all over. I can feel my vertebrae sliding against one another while in bed, both in my neck and mid-back. I have slight ridges in only my thumbnails (they were never there before cipro)

I’m a bit bummed because I’m feeling some new weakness in my left leg, and still have occasional pain in that achilles as well -after doing a goofy little dance with my husband the other night.

All-in-all, I’m happy to still function much like I did before, but what has changed is that I have to be aware of how I treat my body. Before it was always about pushing it to its limits and beyond, and now is knowing when to stop before I come close to hitting it. I am glad I have prevented a few other friends and relatives from taking this crap medication, but some days I am still sad that I wasn’t saved from it. It’s hard to see my brother compete in the Tough Mudder competitions, knowing that I could have been there right beside him had my body not been so physically altered by 6 small pills.

• Jason February 23, 2015 at 10:45 pm Reply

A shame you did not keep up with Magnesium like many advised, I wonder how different your joints and muscles etc would be at this point, since it is known that this poison continually leaches out Mag, and that your ongoing symptoms can be contributed directly to that (look up Mag deficiency, although it does NOT point to joints sadly, which looks to be more related to DNA and Fluoride damage)

• Enkel June 26, 2015 at 2:20 am Reply

Hi Crystal,

Do you have back cracking or neck cracking. Do you still feel your vertebrae sliding against one another? I have the same symptoms and I am interested to know if they go away.

42. cluelessdoctors October 17, 2014 at 8:44 pm Reply

A very inspiring story I just shared on Facebook! Thank you for sharing! Angela

• Michelle January 6, 2015 at 11:45 am Reply

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience. I took 2 doses of 750mg Levaquin for a sinus infection in June 2009, I was 19 years old at the time. The first dose made me dizzy and nauseous but I still went to work feeling a bit out of it. The next day, I took the pill and had terrible side effects. My heart rate changed and was pounding, I was having auditory hallucinations (hearing my phone ring or dog bark when neither was happening), I felt like I had been poisoned, my thoughts were confused and the only thing that helped was getting in and out of the bath tub because I was trying to calm myself down but it didn’t work.

I really thought I was going to die. It took every ounce of strength I had just to keep myself alive. This went on for about 10 hours. I remember thinking “I’m only 19, this can’t be it. I haven’t done anything with my life and now it’s over”. I remember calling my mom and telling her all kinds of things about about how I wouldn’t take this drug again even if it was the cure for cancer and how right now, in this moment, if I had to choose between feeling like this and killing an innocent child, I would kill the child. I had become someone I didn’t recognize.

My significant other at the time came into our apartment and found me shivering in a corner wrapped in a towel. I eventually went to the ER but was unable to speak very well or control my muscles. A lady kept yelling at me asking about my address and all I could do was hand her my license as I had forgotten how to talk. I was so scared and wanted to cry. She kept yelling at me because she wanted to make sure the hospital would be paid. The doctor was no help, just changed the prescription to amoxicillin.

It took 3 years for me to recover for the most part. My heart would freak out sporadically for seemingly no reason and I had a lot of gastrointestinal problems. I lost all pigment in my skin and couldn’t get a tan or sunburn if I tried and was foggy brained for a long time. I couldn’t sleep and eventually stopped eating because food made me sick. I went from 115 lbs to 87 lbs. I never went to the doctor because I was terrified. The only thing I ingested was apple juice and I started walking around my neighborhood. Eventually I progressed to apple juice and Powerade and then to a little bit of bread. I moved out on my own because all of this destroyed my relationship. I didn’t know who I was anymore. I couldn’t go out to a restaurant or the store without worrying about when i would have another flox attack. Once I moved out it had been about 1 year and 6 months. I was still eating very little but was starting to get my muscles and myself back.

At 2 years I started a diet of organic unfiltered apple juice, olive oil, salmon, couscous, and green beans and that’s all I ate for about 3 months. This helped the most out of anything as well as time. I would say the three year mark was the tipping point towards an almost full recovery. I had friends again, could sleep through the night and the foggy headedness had cleared. I still don’t do well with antibiotics but I had to take them for two cases or strep throat. One in August 2013 and the other in August 2014. I took amoxicillin. The first time was okay and the second time I was having weakness in my limbs and fever but dying of strep was worse. On the plus side, within days of stopping the antibiotics, the side effects were gone. I still only take half an Advil if needed because that’s the most I can tolerate. It seems like every medicine effect is amplified about 10x.

I just wanted to post that here I am 5 years later, age 24, alive and doing well. I completed an associates degree and bachelors degree and I’ve learned a lot about myself. I am thankful for every sunrise and I make choices for the greater good because I see how fragile life is and how living a life without purpose will not give me peace in the end. My advice is to keep fighting and not give up. Listen to your body and your intuition and make every second count.

• Lisa Bloomquist January 6, 2015 at 4:30 pm Reply

Hi Michelle,

I would like to share your story as “Michelle’s story” on this site, if that interests you. Please let me know. My email address is floxiehope@gmail.com. Or, you can just leave a follow-up comment, if you prefer.

Thank you, and I’m glad that you are doing well now! It sounds like a rough journey, but you made it.

43. Crystal January 7, 2015 at 8:18 pm Reply

Hey everyone! Checking in for a 1.5 year update – I’m proud to say that I feel 100% again, yeah things pop and slide here and there but there’s no pain. I have no more nerve pain, no buzzing sensations, no weakness, no nothing. I feel great, so great that I no longer think about being a floxie, and it’s nice to start to forget how I had felt horrible for so long. There is hope, you guys, there is. It takes time, but it will get better.

btw, I stopped taking any supplements about 6 months into my floxing – I don’t know if any really helped, but they cost a lot of money and I felt like a sick person taking so many supplements everyday. By not taking them, it allowed me to start feeling ‘normal’ again. That was just my experience, but at the beginning it made me feel better to take them! So no matter what you do, just know that your body wants to heal, and it’s doing all it can to do just that. Take care.

• Lisa Bloomquist January 8, 2015 at 11:07 am Reply

That’s wonderful, Crystal! Thank you so much for the update! I’m so glad that you are doing well! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Tigran Kash January 15, 2015 at 9:10 am Reply

Dear Crystal. I have read the entire blog and it gives me hope for my son who has been suffering. He is in college and 3 months after taking only 1 Avalox given by the ER doc without warnings. He is 22 and has all of the symptoms you had. The hardest thing for me to observe is his mental health. I understand and would be depressed too. What helped you to stay focused and reduce your depression? Thank you so much for taking the time to write. TK

• Crystal January 23, 2015 at 9:41 pm Reply

Hi Tigran,

Sorry for my delayed response. The emotional part is so tough. What helped me is forcing myself to do my ‘normal’ activities – no matter how depressed I was. I always made sure I looked nice on the outside, despite how I felt on the inside. I faked it until I made it – also, taking walks helped me a lot. It helped me to know that my body was still mine despite what was happening to it. I hope your son starts to feel better soon, I’m glad you’re there to support him while he goes through this. Take care.

• Jason February 23, 2015 at 11:00 pm Reply

So glad you are doing well. Damn that joint popping anyway, I think it has me the most worried going forward, I need to read more stories but it seems this is VERY hard to get rid of, if its even possible. More research on this I guess. I am a newly floxed poor sap, and already had bad joints, now they are atrocious. I was already supplementing for them before I took this poison, which helps but I don’t think “fixes” anything, however I have learnt much more since then and think detoxing Fluoride from the body might help the most, or I hope.

If anyone has had success ridding the body of popping joints I want to know what you did!

44. rich January 8, 2015 at 10:59 am Reply

good stuff

• Rich January 9, 2015 at 1:52 am Reply

Did you lose any foot padding

• Crystal January 23, 2015 at 9:42 pm Reply

If I have, I have not noticed.

• Jason February 23, 2015 at 10:53 pm Reply

That is interesting question. Did you, or anyone else you have talked to? I noticed when playing Tennis this year the bottom of my foot was getting very sore, and now 7 months later it still acts up.

45. Kita January 31, 2015 at 7:28 pm Reply

Just finished a round of Cipro and I can’t stop crying I’ve been stressing every since learning of the side effects of Cipro. Since stopping I have burning sensations in my thighs down to my toes, my bones won’t stop popping, my muscles feel tight and I’m very foggy minded. So far it’s only been one day off Cipro, and I took 6 tablets 500 mg 2x a day. In my courses of research I found a lot of people used activated charcoal it supposedly has many uses and pulls toxin out of the body. Has anyone used it before??? Thanks in advance I’m desperate

• Lisa Bloomquist January 31, 2015 at 7:46 pm Reply

Hugs, Kita! You’re going to be okay. Keep telling yourself that. It’s true. Try to believe it.

Several people have used activated charcoal and have reported that it helped them. I recommend it to everyone who has recently been floxed. (Please note that I’m not a doctor, I have gotten my knowledge of activated charcoal from patient reports.)

Magnesium also binds to fluoroquinolones and it helps most people to get through FQ toxicity. I recommend getting various sources of magnesium – supplements, epsom salt baths and magnesium oil.

Stress makes everything worse. Your body is not in a position to process stress hormones well right now, so, as difficult as it is to do, try to calm down and minimize your anxiety. Watch a funny movie, get off the internet, take a bubble bath, listen to some good music, etc. Tell yourself that you’ll be okay too. You will.

Hugs,

• Julia May 8, 2019 at 8:41 pm Reply

Hello Kita i hope you are feeling better! I’m just wondering how long your burning sensation lasted?!?!?

46. Gina February 27, 2015 at 5:02 pm Reply

Crystal….
    Did you have neurological stuff too…Central nervous system. Anxiety, panic, hard to think, anger? Are you 100% recovered. I’m struggling dealing with this. Took cipro beginning of Jan and my life has been turned upside down. Any tips would greatly appreciated!! I appreciated your post so much. It was positive and hopeful. Most of the posts filled me with fear. Thanks for being upbeat and helping…

• Bee March 7, 2015 at 5:34 pm Reply

Hi Gina, I’m in a similar spot, I was floxed at the end of January, and I have similar symptoms plus muscle/tendon and vision. My life has similarly been turned upside down and it’s been a roller coaster. How are you doing? Are you getting gradual improvement?
      I’m reading the upbeat posts too, I find them helpful…

• Crystal March 27, 2015 at 4:28 pm Reply

Hi Gina,

Sorry for the delay in my response, I just now saw this!

I most definitely had neurological issues which was very difficult to deal with. I couldn’t rub two thoughts together for a while, which was very frustrating because I always prided myself on my smarts! I had many crying spells, major insomnia and a general hopelessness about humanity. I felt completely empty for a couple months.

Please know that it will pass and it is not permanent. I feel totally normal today and it’s been just over a year and a half. Do know that your body wants to heal itself, and it takes time to work through being poisoned, what is essentially what happened to us.

You’re early in your recovery, know that each day will get better. If I had an especially bad day (pain or mental), the next one was always better. So every day where I felt like I couldn’t handle it anymore, I would repeat to myself ‘tomorrow will be a better day.’ and you know what? It always was. Maybe sometimes it was marginal, and others incredibly better. There will be an ebb and flow to all of this, but do know that it is normal, you are not alone, and that you will get better.

Take care,

Crystal

47. Gina March 29, 2015 at 10:22 am Reply

Crystal…
    Thanks for the reply means a lot. Do you an email I could send you some questions. I am so happy you well and recovered!!!! Please let me know if I could email you!! Thanks so much!!!

48. Enkel April 28, 2015 at 3:29 am Reply

Hi Crystal,

Did you have back cracking (maybe SI joints) and neck clicking or cracking. If yes, How long did it take for them to subside?

To Lisa Bloomquist: I have been floxed from using simultaneously two fluoroquinolones Avelox + Noroxin for 10 days given from a lazy doctor. I wish this doctor be dead because he is going to flox many innocent people. I have been two months out. My symptoms are joint cracking without pain except back pain when i sit too long , brain fog, fatigue.

What causes the neck clicking? Tendons or cartilages?

49. Carrie May 9, 2015 at 10:45 am Reply

I was just wondering where my post has gone that I posted last night. There were a few others that posted last night too. Is the thread closed or something…

50. kris t May 29, 2015 at 8:28 am Reply

Does anyone know if muscle relaxers help? I was on Cipro for a UTI about two months ago. Stopped taking it and then was on several other antibiotics and finally got over my infection but am just now experiencing all the awful side effects you all describe. To top it off, I think my muscles became weakened, because I was lifting something heavy at work and wham! Got severe back pain and now my shoulder and neck hurt. I started PT this past week, but when I use those elastic straps, the muscles in my hand and elbow start to hurt. Lisa was right about the Advil, can’t take it, it makes all my symptoms so much worse the next day even with one pill! I just wonder if a muscle relaxer would be OK. And did anyone get the dry mouth problem? I think its because I was on five different antibiotics and could never get rid of that UTI! Finally worked with two weeks of Ceftin, but that is another truly horrible drug and would never recommend it. Kris