Daniel L’s Recovery Story

flower-large

*The following is an individual’s story of surviving fluoroquinolone toxicity. It is not medical advice. Please see the disclaimer at the bottom of the story. Thank you, and please be cautious with all treatments.

The Prescription

I took a 6 week course of Cipro 1000mg once/day in early 2015 to treat prostatitis.

First Signs of trouble

The first signs of anything unusual were a low B12 level about four weeks in.

A few weeks later, while on vacation, I started to notice unusual bruising near my joints, in the elbows and ankles after engaging in sports.

I also started to notice pain in my ankles, near where the achilles tendon wraps under the heel. It felt as if the tendon was tearing away.

Further complications

Symptoms began to worsen on my return to work. My ankles would ache if I had to stand for any length of time.

Navigating stairs became difficult because of pain in my Achilles tendons. I used to be able to hike all day, mountain bike and surf all day, but now I could hardly walk around the block.

Walking on hard floors caused stabbing pains in my heels.

My eyes started to give me problems, especially when transitioning from bright light to a darker interior.

A bit later I discovered that one of my front teeth was loose.

We had a very harsh winter this year, and I was extremely sensitive to the cold. It felt as if I could never warm up. I was so cold on the subway, I started to have to wear the warmest boots I could find and my toes would still turn white.

I also had ‘brain fog’ and difficulty thinking (and my job is very analytical, so I started having difficulty getting through my workday.)

Forums scared me to death

I went online and started reading the forums and after that I became very anxious about what I had done to myself.

This information also made me hyper vigilant about every little change in my body.

All of these symptoms I was experiencing were very stressful, and also after reading the forums, I now worried about all the other symptoms I might get.

I started to be very anxious. Every new symptom or worsening of an existing symptom caused pangs of anxiety that were difficult to control.

Doctor’s Responses

My own doctor is wonderful and felt very badly that the medication she prescribed caused this terrible reaction. The only problem was she didn’t know much about fluoroquinolone toxicity or how to treat it.

A urologist I consulted had heard about the reaction but only advised me not to worry, and that summer was around the corner and things would get better.

Treatment Programme

I mainly followed the programme in the The ‘Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Solution’  (affiliate link)(https://floxiehope.com/2014/11/25/the-fluoroquinolone-toxicity-solution-ebook/).

I also started seeing a naturopathic doctor who suggested taking contrast showers to help my body better deal with the cold, and who helped me consolidate all of the supplements I was taking into a more balanced and more manageable number of pills.

First signs of recovery

I felt that things started to improve about 10 weeks into my recovery.

I started to have good days.

The tendon problems in my upper body were the first symptom that substantially improved, then my Achilles tendon on the right went back almost to normal, my left Achilles was not symptom free, but started to improve.

Around this time, I quit my job which was a long commute by subway after a friend offered me a job where I could work from home.

I found a nature trail near my home and I started to ride my mountain bike on it gently, this improved my mood and also seemed to help my joints and tendons recover. On days where I didn’t exercise, everything seemed to tighten up and become more painful.

My List of supplements

Epsom salt baths, Mg Glycinante/ Mg Threonate

COQ10

Vitamin E

A good multivitamin (Ortho Core: http://www.aor.ca/products-page/advanced/ortho-core/)

My message to you

This is the part I’m excited to tell you about.

All the text above is just for context, and honestly if you are on this forum, the story will perhaps seem very familiar already.

What I really want to tell you is that despite what has happened, some of the happiest days of my life have been during this difficult recovery.

It is possible to be be in pain and be happy at the same time, it is possible to be uncertain about the future and be happy at the same time, it is possible to be scared and be happy at the same time.

I have been practicing meditation for about 10 years before this happened. Maybe that’s has something to do with my outlook. If you haven’t started already, it’s not too late to start now. (https://floxiehope.com/2015/05/15/meditation-and-mindfulness-to-get-through-fq-toxicity/) Don’t worry, meditation is a secular practice that anyone can try.

I aslo noticed that during some of my most difficult days, when I just couldn’t take it anymore, I got what I call little signs.

One of those signs was this little flower graffiti I kept seeing on the subway. Sometimes the sign would be a song in a passing car. And one time a usually elusive squirrel in the woods behind the office seemed lead me on a chase through the woods, chattering at me to follow it like a playful child.

I am a very rational thinker and am skeptical of new age Woo, but these experiences made me question those certainties.

My grandmother, who was the strongest person I ever knew, always told us that if it was possible after her death to come and visit us that she would. I never saw a sign of her after she passed away, or did I?

Thoughts and advice

-Don’t call yourself a ‘Floxie’. This happened to you, but don’t make an identity out of it, you are much much larger, more beautiful, stronger and more magnificent than that.

-Drop every onerous or stressful thing in your life that you can. This is your year. Tell everyone you love that you are concentrating on you this year, and that you need their help. Those that love you will understand. Bonus: you will learn who really loves you!

-Trust in your ability to recover.

-Don’t over-think. My rule: thoughts should inform action. If thoughts are leading you in circles and are not helping you decide what action to take right now, drop them.

-Stay away from most internet forums. Follow a good plan, like the ‘The Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Solution Ebook‘ (affiliate link) and stick to it. If you have online discussions about FQ toxicity, keep them focused on problems and specific solutions. Don’t seek commiseration and other psychological support.

-Find an affordable source of joy. For me it has been Hawaiian Reggae music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGl_d4QWors), for you it may be something else. Find something that brings out your joy and drink it in.

-Stay as active as you can. Find an enjoyable physical activity you can tolerate. For me this was swimming and cycling, both of which are not too hard on the joints. By trial and error, find out how much exercise you can tolerate. I found that no exercise was worse than a bit too much exercise. You need to get the blood flowing to promote healing.

-You will get better. Give yourself a year. You won’t believe the difference 10-12 weeks will make even. What doesn’t get better after a year, you can live with!

-Let go of anger and resentment: those are truly toxic.

Conclusion

I believe that Cipro has and the adverse reaction I had to it has given me a great gift.

My life after Cipro and my life before Cipro really aren’t that different. Cipro just brought it into sharper view.

It reminded me that life is precious fleeting and fragile, and that every day, good or bad, is a gift.

I am now determined to not waste a single day more being angry, not to miss one more opportunity to hug my wife and tell her that I love her, not to waste one more sunny day preoccupied about nonsense.

May you all be happy and well!

On 2/29/16 I got the following message from Daniel:

I took a monthlong trip to Victoria BC to avoid a big chunk of the winter.

I walked all over, sometimes all day, and climbed a small mountain.

Here are some pictures from that trip:

IMG_4200

The park across the street from where I was staying was all in bloom.

IMG_4123

Mt. Douglas Park, where I climbed the first ‘mountain’ since my FQ reaction.

IMG_4030

A chalk mural by the beach seemed to speak directly to me.

IMG_4015

Another chalk mural by the beach seemed to speak directly to me.

** The story above is truthful, accurate and told to the best of the ability of the writer. It is not intended as medical advice. No person who submits his or her story, nor the people associated with Floxie Hope, diagnoses or treats any illness. The story above should not be substituted for professionally provided medical advice. Please consult your doctor before trying anything that has been mentioned in this story, or in any other story on this site. Please also note that people have varying responses to the treatments mentioned in each story. What helps one person may not help, and may even hurt, another person. It is important that you understand that supplements, IVs, essential oils, and all other treatments, effect people differently depending on the millions of variables that make each of us unique. Please use appropriate caution and prudence, and get professional medical advice.

162 thoughts on “Daniel L’s Recovery Story

1. Rose Casanova August 14, 2015 at 9:12 am Reply

Thanks Daniel! I totally agree about the shift in my thinking since taking Cipro, for whatever reason it was a real eye-opener for me. It actually changed my life for the better, even though it doesn’t feel that way everyday. I meditate on a daily basis and I look forward to the day where I can separate this pain from my self-perception and self worth. It takes a lot of practice. I strongly believe that getting out and moving no matter how disabled I felt really helped with my recovery. It started with walking one city block and building from there. It helped my brain and my thinking. I hope you continue on your road to health and happiness.

2. rich August 14, 2015 at 9:37 am Reply

😉

3. Elizabeth Lo August 14, 2015 at 10:04 am Reply

Daniel, Thank you for sharing your amazing story! I’m glad you are not only recovering but have learned to live fully. I learned it as well. Good to know the ebook helped you. God bless you!

4. sian August 19, 2015 at 12:54 am Reply

Daniel, thank you so much for your story. I especially loved “don’t call yourself a Floxie”.
    I often wonder what my recovery would be like if I hadn’t read all the scary things on internet and “just” had the symptoms without also having the sheer terror of what I have read.

5. Ms. A September 22, 2015 at 12:55 pm Reply

I don’t know how far out you are now, but I’ll be very curious to see if you stay this way! Best wishes!

• Daniel L September 24, 2015 at 8:27 am Reply

See my latest update below.

6. Daniel L September 24, 2015 at 7:58 am Reply

Here’s an update.

It’s kind of funny but literally days after posting this story I had a major setback.

In mid July I experienced some periods of major stress. Shortly after this, the infection that started all this six months before began to flare up again.

At about this time, I also let a naturopath convince me to change my supplements.

In mid August, tendon pain worsened everywhere, and in some previously unaffected areas as well! My eyesight suffered as well, my left eye just wasn’t ‘right’ and I developed floaters. I am a computer programmer and this made my job very difficult.

I was very discouraged for a while. You could say that he positive attitude in my recovery story was severely tested!

I also had a surf vacation planned to beautiful Tofino (http://www.tofino.ca/) about a month later that I felt would be a total wash.

But somehow over the next few weeks my system fought off the infection itself. I also managed to overcome the tendon and eye problems. I just had to get my supplements back in order and rest a bit more.

Here’s what I’ve learned:

-I won’t let anyone change my supplements again. The bare essentials for me appear to be: 600g of Mg, 400IU of Vitamin E, lots of Vitamin C, lots of Vitamin K for my teeth. (The new changed regimen only contained one tenth this amount of Vitamin E, which may have contributed to the relapse.)

-Even major setbacks can turn around fairly quickly. In about one month, I went from having difficulty walking all over again, to surfing a 6 foot wave in the Pacific.

Throughout all this I kept this quote running through my head:

“The problem isn’t really solved until it doesn’t matter if the problem comes back.”

In some ways I’m glad the setback happened (not that I want another), because it taught me that it’s not sufficient to just fix the problem, I also have to fix my resistance to having the problem.

I will consider myself recovered, when some day I have another setback and I can calmly laugh it off and say “Here we go again…” and get on with my life.

If you have a setback, trust in your ability to recover. If you recovered once, you can do it again, and this time you’ll be doing it with all the knowledge you now have. It will go faster every time.

My last post had a song and this one does too:

SOJA: Easier

Lyrics:

It’s in the summer breeze, it’s in the winter blows
    It’s in the innocent, it’s in the criminals

I believe the thing you are looking for is right in front of your eyes. It’s in the most nutritious food you eat, it’s in the purest water you drink, it’s in your supplements, but it’s also in Cipro and in your ripped upped tendons and in your frayed nerves. It’s in your fear and in your hope.

You will come out of this so much stronger: like gold is purified in a red hot crucible.

Notes:

– I’m unsure of the source for the quote, but it could be from Pema Chodron.

– I found Astaxanthin to be of great help for my eye problems.

– I have since tried MitoQ and feel that I have more energy. I used to conk out at 3:00pm and need a nap, now I have trouble falling asleep at my usual bedtime and want to go to bed later.

7. claude October 7, 2015 at 6:52 am Reply

how are you now

• Daniel L October 13, 2015 at 6:25 am Reply

I’m 7 months out and doing well.

None of my symptoms interfere with my day to day living. I can work, socialize, go for walks or short hikes, walk up six flights of stairs at work, ride my mountain bike on easy trails, surf a few waves.

Sometimes I get sleepy around 3:00pm, but I’ve started taking Mito-Q and PQQ I’ve noticed an increase in my energy levels and haven’t needed to in a few weeks.

Honestly I still get a bit of achilles pain, on one side, but it’s like a 1 or 2 on the pain scale, and I’m long past worrying about tearing or rupturing anything. I try to ignore it, and it usually passes.

Sometimes my tendons hurt, not because of new damage being done, but because my calf is tight. Stretching or just moving around a bit helps with that.

Also my vision dims a bit if I’m not vigilant and forget to eat enough veggies. I got a few floaters a while back.

I’d love to get back in shape though, and I’ve learned that you have to take that very gradually. There are many stories of relapses triggered by increased exercise, some on this site. Increased exercise may have triggered my short relapse in late August.

I would caution anyone getting back into an exercise program to take it very slowly, and to make sure you take very powerful antioxidant to clean up the increase in free radicals that exercise will release (Mito-Q in my case).

It can be frustrating, but then I remind myself that I have problems that can be solved by eating more vegetables and taking it easier.

Meditation continues to play a big role in helping me recover.

8. rich October 26, 2015 at 7:09 am Reply

good stuff mate I had the vision thing as well like I just couldn’t focus properly and covered one eye for a while! …

9. Daniel L November 3, 2015 at 1:32 pm Reply

Here’s another song of hope.

Columbia is notorious for kidnappings, with kidnapping victims often being held for as long as 12 years.

The Columbian military teamed up with some famous musicians to create this song, with the following message in morse code embedded in it:

“19 people rescued. You are next. Don’t lose hope.”

Because many of the kidnapped victims were military, it was hoped that they could decode the message secretly embedded within the song.

They then went on to play the song on the radio for months, reaching 3 million people.

Here is the song, if you listen closely you can hear the morse code in the chorus:

the song actually drops a hint: “Escucha este mensaje hermano” (“Listen to this message, brother.”) just before the morse code.

More on the making of the song:

The song kind of reminds me of this site. I don’t know what the exact number of recovered floxies is, but if you’re reading this remember:

“Many floxies rescued, you are next. Don’t lose hope!”

• Mark S November 3, 2015 at 4:24 pm Reply

Daniel,

Out of all the stories here, yours has inspired me the most. I read it every day along with the Levaquin e-book! I’m only about three and a half months into my floxing but I am determined to beat this thing through good nutrition, proper supplementation, and a positive attitude. Some days my leg gives me problems and it tests my spirit compared to how I used to be just a short couple of months ago. I was a pain free and care free 24 year old. I will get back to that state soon enough! Keep up the positive updates my friend.

Mark

• Daniel L November 3, 2015 at 5:43 pm Reply

Thanks for that,

It warmed my heart.

Youth and time are on your side.

I believe there are messages of hidden in plain sight for all of us. May you have the wisdom to hear them

(Hint: They speak very softly..)

• Daniel L November 3, 2015 at 6:19 pm Reply

Also you mentioned being carefree, I wish I could be again. I guess i’m getting there.

But having shared in a measure of pain puts me in solidarity with all the people suffering out there.

It’s like that song: “Sometimes when I lie in bed at night I think of this whole world…”

Paraphrasing Schopenhauer, before having a serious problem, we see the world like this:

View this post on Instagram

Another completed!

A post shared by Margaret Timbrell (@margaretdth) on

but after we see the world like this:

The first view is prettier, but the back of the needlepoint is more instructive because it shows you how it was put together.

Don’t miss this opportunity to learn from this experience.

For example, maybe someone is letting you down, or behaving in a way that confuses you, remember that they may be feeling that they can only show you their ‘front’ side.

There’s probably a ‘back’ side you don’t see that explains a lot of their behaviour.

• Daniel L November 3, 2015 at 6:21 pm Reply

Also if I’m being read every day, I should post updates more often. 🙂

• Mark S November 5, 2015 at 11:12 am

Yes most definitely! I enjoy your entries. I have definitely learned a lot about myself through this thing already. Can’t wait to write a recovery story of my own. My recent attempt at aquatic exercises and a hot sauna set me back in terms of my leg weakness but I’m not letting it get me down. Trying to maintain that positive energy and be that much healthier to combat it.

10. Mark S November 9, 2015 at 9:36 am Reply

Daniel,

During at point of your recovery have you felt your achilles/knee not being painful but just a general weakness? I’ve been experiencing that and it’s hard to stand for long periods of time. Has me feeling pretty down and hopeless 😦

• Daniel L November 9, 2015 at 11:09 am Reply

Fortunately for me, weakness has not really been one of my symptoms.

I had tendonitis in my left achilles, but also in other places to a lesser degree.

If you have muscle weakness, it might be worth trying PQQ and MitoQ, because that sounds like Mitochondrial issues to me.

PQQ is readily available at better health shops or online, whereas you have to order MitoQ from new Zealand.

You may want to ask Ruth Young what she thinks. She give great advice on supplements. She can be found on post all over this forum.

Also try not to feel hopeless.

With FQ toxicity, it’s natural to have some down days because of the natural grieving process that goes along with such a serious injury.

However, there must be something that makes you feel happy, perhaps, like your favourite music, or a nice sunny day.

If you can make sure that you include that thing that makes you happy every day, and as much as you can. Try to have some time every day where you just push FQs out of your mind. Give yourself a mental break from it.

• Mark S November 12, 2015 at 12:55 pm Reply

I guess I just have to trust in my body’s ability to naturally recover. I was without much leg pain between months two and three but it has since come roaring back. Cycles like this really test my strength and patience.

• Mark S November 12, 2015 at 12:57 pm

And for what it’s worth my main issue is tendonosis in my left achilles as well. It really hampers my ability to do much without discomfort. Hopefully in a couple months it won’t be bothering me to the same degree.

• Daniel L November 12, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Do you have leg pain or weakness?

If your calf muscles are tight, aside from being painful in itself, it will exacerbate tendon pain by constantly pulling on the tendon.

When that happens, I perform a kind of auto massage.

I sit on the floor with the leg being worked on bent at the knee, and with the top of the foot on the floor. My other leg is behind me.

(Imagine the position you would put yourself in if you wanted to sit cross legged. Now do that only with the leg being worked on. Basically find a comfortable position with your calf muscle exposed at the top.)

Then with your opposite hand, make a fist and work it into your muscle. You can use your body weight to add some strength to it as you become accustomed to it.

11. Mark S November 12, 2015 at 2:31 pm Reply

Discomfort in both my achilles and knee. Not so much throbbing pain but it definitely feels not right. Hard to explain. Feeling my achilles I can definitely tell it has degenerated a bit compared to my right one. I think over time the collagen will just have to build back up. I think the problem is it’s still building bad collagen because my body is still under the toxcicity of cipro. I’m starting to do the specific massage/frozen water battle/stretching routine several times daily hoping it stimulates blood flow to my cells.

• Daniel L November 14, 2015 at 7:37 am Reply

Oh yes of course, I forgot that you had the eBook. Of course you know about specific massage.

It’s better described in the ebook than in my post. Good thing that you are doing it. I’m not that diligent with it unless pain increases a lot.

12. Daniel L November 27, 2015 at 7:28 am Reply

Happy music for the end of your week:

The band “Sudden Rush” celebrates the late great Israel Kamakawiwo’Ole

13. Daniel L November 27, 2015 at 7:54 am Reply

Here’s another one:

Anuhea “Shoulders”

Based on this inspirational story:

14. Daniel L December 14, 2015 at 12:40 pm Reply

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well, or at least getting steadily better.

Lately I’ve been looking back over my 10 months since Cipro, and even before that and a few pieces of my health puzzle have fallen into place.

Basically, I think I may have had SIBO, or at the very least a very bad gut, even prior to taking Cipro for prostatitis.

Because, my earliest symptoms post flox were musculo-skeletal, the familiar tendon issues, I overlooked the gut issues I was having.

Sure, I took some probiotcs, early on and things did improve with my gut, but I don’t think I took my gut seriously enough, early enough.

I would urge you, even if you think you are fine, heal your gut right away, to avoid other problems later on down the line, like auto-immune diseases and other nasty outcomes.

Lately I found a supplement that really, really helped with my gut issues, and that is colostrum.

There are several brands, right now I’m taking AOR brand because it was available at the health food store.

Colostrum boosts the immune system and helps heal the intestinal tract.

Here’s some info on colostrum:

I also found this probiotic that isn’t widely known. It is made by researchers working on the human microbiome project. This formulation contains 115 bacterial strains which they have identified as present in healthy people.

I also take a probiotic called Elixa. It is a more conventional probiotic, containing 9 lactobacillus strains, but it is very well encapsulated to deliver the beneficial bacteria to your gut.

I don’t take Elixa as indicated, (10 pills at a time!) but take 1 or two capsules per day. This probiotic will make your skin softer. I suspect that is because it helps in collagen synthesis, which will be great for your tendons.

While I had been taking these two great probiotics for months, when I added the colostrum the benefits really started to become apparent.

I no longer have brain fog and other symptoms of leaky gut.

I would recommend taking all three at a time to heal your gut right away.

I don’t want to sound alarmist, but even if you don’t have a lot of gut symptoms, you may have damage from the FQs that may catch up with you down the road.

Wishing you all a speedy recovery, and a Merry Christmas.

15. Mark S December 30, 2015 at 12:53 pm Reply

Daniel,

Colostrum seems very beneficial as it is also a precursor for glutathione. I’m going to start on it now! Do you take it on an empty stomach?

• Daniel L December 30, 2015 at 1:47 pm Reply

I’ve tried it a bunch of different ways, empty stomach, with food, with probiotics and yogurt only.

To be honest I haven’t noticed a big difference whichever way I took it.

They do say it can help probiotics to colonize the intestinal tract better, so paring with probiotics and yogurt might give the biggest benefit.

I noticed immediate effects to my immunity. I also noticed a few old wounds healing and a familiar pain of a wisdom tooth that never came out growing in my jaw.

I hadn’t felt that feeling in a long while, I think it must also boost growth hormone as well.

Whichever way you take it, I highly recommend it.

Merry Christmas, hope you are well on your way to recovery.

16. Daniel L January 13, 2016 at 2:26 pm Reply

I wanted to mention a supplement I hadn’t heard of, BioSil, which claims to help you better generate collagen.

My mother used a related formulation to help with her nails, and it had a dramatic effect. Could this help us floxies with our joints?

NOTE: I have not tried it yet, so this is not an endorsement. I will try it soon and report back my results.

• Daniel L February 14, 2016 at 4:14 pm Reply

I have tried Biosil and it tremendously reduced my remaining tendonitis.

I have been on vacation for two weeks which has meant walking 5-10 times as usual.

At first I did experience tendonitis in my left achilles, which has always been my weak spot since being floxed, but I bought Biosil early on to see if it would help.

It has made a big difference!

Now I walk up 10 flights of stairs a few times a day to strengthen my legs, go on 2-3km walks 2-3 times a day. Some day I walk more than 10km.

I went and climbed a small mountain, not any thing big, just a rocky 45 minute hike, but my achilles wasn’t just fine, it was better than it was before.

• Mark S February 17, 2016 at 10:24 am Reply

Good stuff. I’m seven months out and think I’m really starting to turn a corner. Overall much more strength in my legs and the achilles is getting a bit more manageable. It doesn’t hamper my life anymore. Weak hips have left me with knee problems so I also working on building them back up. Keep on keeping on, man!

• Daniel L March 1, 2016 at 7:47 am

Very glad to hear that, keep hanging in there.

I’m sure you’ll recover fully very soon.

• Mark S March 2, 2016 at 10:35 am Reply

How long were you on Biosil until you noticed improvement?

• Daniel L March 2, 2016 at 1:10 pm

It’s very difficult to rate improvement because my joints were 85% recovered but I’d say it took about 2 weeks.

17. Daniel L January 15, 2016 at 5:09 pm Reply

Watching Late Show host James Corden having fun with Stevie Wonder just made my day.

One thing I’ve noticed as I get older is that I enjoy watching someone else have fun as much having fun myself.

How lucky is this guy to have Stevie Wonder call his girlfriend and sing: “I just called to say, James Loves you…” Totally awesome.

I may not be having such a good day today, for floxed related reasons, but the fact that these two did makes me just as happy. Maybe you will enjoy it too.

See also: https://web.cs.dal.ca/~johnston/poetry/island.html

18. Richard Pyne March 2, 2016 at 8:27 am Reply

Hello my name is Richard and I live in England. I took Cipro for just over two weeks in January. Need some advice as I am very distressed. Can someone reply if possible and I will go into more detail. Thanks in advance.

• Daniel L March 2, 2016 at 8:29 am Reply

Hi Richard, I’m here.

How can I help you?

• Daniel L March 2, 2016 at 8:34 am Reply

I can talk to you on skype if you like. My id is daniel.lavoie13

19. Richard Pyne March 2, 2016 at 11:18 am Reply

Hi Daniel, thank you very much for the quick reply. I will take you up on the offer at some point. I think I need to be relaxed enough to do so, but I will let you know when that might be. I also have Asperger syndrome and so really I am not someone very able to cope with this sort of thing. I will try and put together some details of my situation soon.

• Daniel L March 2, 2016 at 11:48 am Reply

> I am not someone very able to cope with this sort of thing

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. You will cope, and even thrive after you recover. Tell yourself that and don’t lose focus on it. It’s not logical, but you need to keep that belief in mind.

If you want to talk in person whenever you see my NIC logged into skype, I am available.

If you’d prefer to just write, then that is fine too.

Right now I would suggest you start taking Magnesium Glycinate right away (to intestinal tolerance), and vitamin E. Also take a whole bunch of vitamin C 1000mg-2000mg or more.

There are other supplements that you could take, but it might be best to start simple.

Epsom salt baths are also very good.

20. Richard Pyne March 14, 2016 at 3:27 am Reply

Hi Daniel are you on Skype at all.

21. Daniel L April 18, 2016 at 2:48 pm Reply

Here’s a quick status report, about 14 months in.

I just surfed a short session on Friday and I just got back from mountain biking a trail near my house.

I had few exercise options during the winter, so I’m a bit out of shape. I do feel like I am getting a little more stamina, though.

I was able to keep up a resistance training program through the winter, including pull-ups which are brutal on the tendons of the fore-arms and on the rotator cuff. I sustained no injury from any of this.

The rest gets a bit more nuanced, because I ran into a recurrence of problems I’ve always been susceptible to, even before Cipro.

I often run myself down and fall into bouts of adrenal fatigue, or HPA axis dysregulation, depending on how you want to call it.

In the fall my TSH shot up to high normal leading me to worry about autoimmune issues and other problems. It was all a big scare for nothing. My TSH came back down on its own a few months later.

Every fall and spring I find it really hard to adjust to the change of seasons, and it’s been the same last fall and this spring. I bet if you looked into my TSH over the years, a similar pattern would emerge.

I have become a bit disillusioned with what I’ve started to call ‘internet rabbit holes’. We can all fall into them: the gluten rabbit hole, the oxalate rabbit hole, the paleo diet rabbit hole, the MTHFR rabbithole. There are 100s of sites listing the same series of non-specific symptoms and then giving you a different explanation and solution for them.

Speaking for myself only, I found I improved a lot once I stopped going online to look for solutions based on these websites.

Cipro toxicity is undoubtedly real, but for me, after a certain point, I found that I had to just put it behind me and deal with the small remaining issues with a good diet and a much reduced list of supplements.

Some notes on symptoms.

– What I thought was neuropathy in my lower legs turned out to only be flushing from B vitamins. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

– My teeth tightened up and have stayed fine, even my dentist who is very picky about teeth says that the remaining amount of movement is normal.

– My eye problems have resolved, I have no more floaters. I do still have some trouble transitioning to dim light sometimes, but I hear that can be caused by adrenal issues.

– My left calf and achilles tendon are fine. It can still hurt, and surprisingly so but also recover quickly. This waxing and waning tells me that the remaining symptoms are psychogenic.

I still have some very hard days, and I _may_ have to treat my borderline hypothyroidism, that I have always had mind you, but overall I am recovered and I am fine.

I would encourage you to look at the psychogenic side of our condition, because it was a real key to finally finishing off my recovery.

I can also say that when symptoms come back, I am way past being bothered, and I just grin and bear it until they pass. This to me is complete recovery.

May we all be well and happy.

• Nicole Reedy April 23, 2016 at 6:51 am Reply

Good Morning Daniel!
      I was so happy to see your update this morning. Your are a ray of sunshine on this cloudy B.C. morning!
      I have written my story on Lisa’s site & have corresponded with Bronwen.
      I am just 3 months out from my issues with Cipro & 6 weeks with the tendon, mucsle, joint cracking craziness. I have been flowing most of the protocol of yours, Ruth’s & Bronwen’s. I am working with a Natropath but it has become very costly. I am 65 & even though my husband still works & I suppose it will not kill us for a while I am feeling guilty over the costs. I do have some good days & meditate on the positive but the days I slip back really throw me!
      I have a two year old grandson & a six month old granddaughter that I am not getting to spend the time I used to with them because of the lifting etc.
      It is depressing me because they are my life & my grandson is used to me taking him to the park & Nama is just no fun anymore!
      Anyway not going to be a downer just hard sometimes at my age to figure all of this out!
      I know I have to stay off forums but relate back to the three of you & Lisa when I need to recheck where I am going.
      Seeing your happiness & positive posts have renewed my otherwise sad emotions this morning! 😃
      Thank you & have a great weekend!
      Oh just one question. I do not see much on anyone getting rid of the constant joint crack & pops. They do not hurt but are bothersome?!😃😄😀

• Daniel L April 23, 2016 at 7:00 am Reply

Hi Nicole,

We used to live in BC (Vancouver and Victoria) and visit there often.

If I were you I’d find some new way to have fun with your grandchildren. Open up a big box of legos on the kitchen table, do some crafts, maybe even play video-games with them.

There must be some new way you can have fun together while your joints heal.

The cracking and popping is just air in the joints, nothing to worry about unless you feel sharp pain when you hear the noise.

I know it can be very difficult when we slip back, but when that happens to me I think of a a good day I had recently and tell myself that I will get back there again.

Nice to hear you think I am a ray of sunshine.

We are going to have a cold snap here, but wait for it…it will bring surfable waves to lake Ontario, so no problem!

• Daniel L April 23, 2016 at 7:24 am Reply

See my latest comment below about my grandmother.

22. Daniel L April 23, 2016 at 7:21 am Reply

I’m going to tell you guys a story about my grandmother that has become semi legendary in our family.

Many cultures have stories about a race of giants that lived even before the gods.

When I think of my ancestors, my grandmother and her parents, who turned wooded lots into working farms, often with the help of a single horse. Some didn’t even have the horse and had to wring a living out of the earth with their bare hands.

Many lost children in early childhood, or older children to farm accidents. These were hard hard times.

Although my grandmother’s father was a farmer, she ended up running the general store in the village.

They bought the store form a previous owner and worked at getting it ready for the reopening. They cleaned and painted night and day for weeks.

She ignored a pain she had in her side until an ovary burst. She got peritonitis from it and they had to remove parts of her intestine and she ended up with a colostomy bag.

She said that the doctors weren’t sure she would survive, so that they stitched her up with big wide stitches in her abdomen. No point in doing a beautiful job sewing up a patient that wouldn’t make it. They were so wide apart that visitors would claim that they saw here insides from between the stitches!

But she did survive and returned to the store where she would serve the needs of her community. This was a very demanding job, and she was always on the go.

She told me stories of having to deal with that colostomy bag. When there was an accident she would just laugh it off, like it was a source of grim humour.

My grandmother had a very strong faith, and she prayed everyday.

She noticed after a while that the colostomy bag was not filling up as much and then a few days later she went to the bathroom as normal.

Over the next few weeks the hole in her side closed up, and everything went back to normal.

Le me be clear, her colostomy spontaneously closed up and her intestines somehow reconnected inside her, so that everything worked as normal again. The doctors couldn’t figure it out.

The only permanent ‘disability’ she had from that was that she couldn’t eat too many nuts because there was a pice of wire still in there, and the doctors feared obstructions (she add them anyway, just in moderation).

It wasn’t easy as this healed. As you can imagine, it was like a red hot poker in her guts, but it did heal.

Never ever lose faith, and don’t settle for a partial recovery. Hold out for a miracle! I know I am!

It was such an honour to have known her that I often don’t feel myself worthy.

Giants did indeed walk the earth, but they are also us, and we are so much taller than we imagine!

23. Daniel L May 3, 2016 at 4:54 am Reply

This morning I’m thanking God for giving me a sickness to learn from that I still have the strength to overcome.

24. Daniel L May 3, 2016 at 4:58 am Reply

A song that brightened my day. It plays over the credits of the movie “Soul Surfer” where promising pro surfer Bethany Hamilton relearns to surf after having her entire left arm bitten off in a shark attack. (It’s available on Netflix for those who have it.)

Lift your head up
    Untie the knot
    My little sunshine
    Hope is never light-years away

25. Nicole Reedy May 3, 2016 at 9:39 am Reply

Good-Morning ray of sunshine! So love the music you send out!!! I had not seen your update until this morning. Have been having a bit of floxie internet over kill! ( :
    I loved the story of your grandmother. What a strong woman & a testament of faith. God does work in mysterious ways! As others have said on this site I have found healing in other ways while going through this challenge. Funny how so many have said this, mental & physical healings of other problems that have been in our life. Some real wow….. moments!
    I did have my 2 year old grandson last Friday & was given a good day. He even took me to the sofa & told me to sit down while he would bring me puzzles & play lego on the floor in front of me. It was as if he knew what was going on inside me. Funny how children can see things that maybe we forget to see or lose somewhere along the way.
    This was my 12 weeks from passing out from pain after one cipro & being rushed to the hospital by ambulance. Unfortunately was just left in the hallway for 5 hours without even a nurse seeing me even though my husband told them I had a small heart attack years ago. Too busy to care I guess. Oh Canada! When I finally saw a dr he just said the cipro gave me a stomach ache & gave me Avelox 24 hour pill on top of just taking the cipro I passed out from 5 hours before and told me to take 1 a day for 10 days. ( never passed out from a tummy ache before!!! )The next day my eyes were yellow & I was very ill. After two 5 hour trips to emerg. the day before my husband just told me to go back to bed. By the 3rd day my eyes were not as yellow but I knew something was really wrong. I was not going back to my local emerg. so told my husband to please drop me off at VGH on his way to work. They ran blood work and my liver enzines were off the chart. I was ask questions about drinking & tylenol use. I had a glass of wine with dinner on occasion & maybe a tylenol every 4 months!? My mind was so fogged I could not remember the yellow eyes & the upper right side & back pain that I passed out from. This drug does make you nuts! ( : I was told to stay on the Avelox & have a blood test every 3 days. Since I was nuts I would take a taxi to the blood clinic & my enzines were going down so I was to still stay on Avelox as it must have just been the cipro in my drs mind even though he did say it gave me acute hepatitis and my liver is very damaged. Thought that would be the worst of it then 6 weeks later boom! 1st the shoulder tendon pain then just went through out the whole body. My feet make me the most nervous because of walking. Cannot find a pair of shoes that work because never know which foot tendon is going to hurt today!!! ( : Anyway after dr just tried to give me steroids & pain meds I found Floxie Hope that day! I have been using most of the program from the book except for Q-Mito. Do have a young Natroupath who is doing what is suggested & not her own program as she has agreed with the program. I have good days which do give you a lot of hope then you fall back and depression sits in but I work my way out of it as quick as I can. I know if you can have those good days you can soon have more & more of them! Now if only I could find those shoes!!!!!
    By the way my husband grew up on Georgian Bay. He still dreams of it. We lived in Midland & Horseshoe ( Barrie ) before moving out west.
    I guess I have made this a pretty long update.
    Thanks so much for the playtime ideas & your uplifting grandmother’s story. I had a grandmother like that as well & through it all lived to 94!!!
    Go catch some waves young man!!!~~~~~~~~

• Daniel L May 3, 2016 at 4:29 pm Reply

Sorry you were treated with such neglect at the hospital.

My mother was on a committee for the local hospital in her town and it made her so mad at the meetings, because some very simple things could make such a difference, and cost so little.

You definitely shouldn’t go to the ER alone, you need an advocate with you, esp if whatever you have messes with your speech or reasoning.

At least it doesn’t cost us tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, like it can in certain other north american countries.

But, we are both past needing to go to the ER for Cipro anyway!

Glad you are finding new ways to play with the grandkids. We couldn’t have kids, so there certainly won’t be grand kids either.

You are so lucky to have them, especially at this age.

When I was young I was surrounded by so many loving people. To quote Fight Club: “I was the warm little center that the life of this world crowded around”.

So I’d suggest to crowd around them as much as you can.

Also remember :when you have a good day, that is the real you.

And by the power vested in me by no one at all I knight you: “Nicole the Lion Hearted.”

May you carry your title well!

• Daniel L May 3, 2016 at 4:35 pm Reply

Also I wear flat bottomed shoes that are very wide allowing your foot to flatten out completely.

I think the brand is Keens. There are a lot of ‘barefoot shoes’ out there to chose from.

They work for me, not sure if it would work for you.

If you feel more comfortable without shoes, these might be the thing.

• Nicole Reedy May 5, 2016 at 4:59 pm Reply

Good-afternoon Daniel, I have just read you text & gave me a bit of a chuckle which I really needed. It has been a few days of really bad pain just about everywhere so have been down. You are always so positive! And thanks about the shoes. I will get out this weekend to try a pair.
        Sorry you have not had a family of your own but you at least seem to have a wonderful wife.
        My husband had two adopted children when we married & we both were told we could not have children. Then when he was 40 & I was 33 I became pregnant!!! As shocked as we were our son was a blessing. My adopted children are my children as well. Our daughter is 46 & could not have children which I am afraid has kept her from finding a husband. She has a dog, cats & horses so they are her family.
        Tomorrow is grandson & Nama day so praying for a little less pain. My Naturopath tells me to be patient as it has only been 3 months since I had the hospital fun & 10 more days of my pills. I have only been in treatment for 6 weeks. Just kind of hard for a old girl who was not in the wonderful shape some of you guys were. At least I do not have as far to get back to old self! 😄😃😀
        I want to thank you for your kind words & help. You are a blessing to many on here I am sure!
        Wishing you & your wife a wonderful weekend!!!

26. Daniel L May 10, 2016 at 6:37 am Reply

More music from Maui, this time from “Inna vision”.

Very positive and wise lyrics from such a young band.

Lyrics:

Dry your eyes and wipe your tears
    Count your blessings not your fears

27. Daniel L May 10, 2016 at 8:21 am Reply

About 20 years ago I had just started mountain biking and was really obsessed.

I was riding every chance I got, even at night and in the snow. I bought a cycle trainer to ride at home in the basement.

I worked as a programmer, meaning I had to put in a lot of chair time and biking was a great outlet.

About that time a major death in the family sidelined me with depression, and unrelenting fatigue. I had such bad brain fog I could barely do my job, and I was so fatigue I couldn’t ride anymore. It was really hard to lose my outlet.

But I figured if I cant ride, I’ll work on my balance. So I would get on my bike and practice balancing next to a handrail for hours at a time.

Believe it or not you can learn to balance at a complete standstill on a bike. It took me 2-3 months to learn but it’s been as skill that has served me well when I later recovered and could start biking again.

Now I can balance on a bike anywhere I want. I even did it while riding along a log suspended in the air.

Nowadays it’s flat calm in the lake, and there is no surfing, but I do have a balance trainer called a goofboard (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R28HMozivk).

So when I take work breaks, I work on my balance on that.

So if you have some activity you enjoy and you find you can’t do it with the same intensity as before, there might be subset of it you still _can_ do.

28. Daniel L May 11, 2016 at 6:31 am Reply

Hey guys,

Just a quick not about something I’ve been noticing in myself more and more lately.

This is going to sound weird, but found I am not very good at identifying the nature of sensations and feelings. I also think this may happen to other people.

Here’s an example.

The other day in the kitchen I got a sharp pain in my heel, just at the same spot that my tendon used to hurt from Cipro (where it connects to the heel). Immediately I thought, damn it don’t tell me it’s back again, and then I realized I had stepped on a tiny grain of rice on the hard floor.

Let me be clear it felt exactly the same as the Cipro damage used to feel. Not sort of like, exactly the same!

I’ve studied a bit of psychology, and they taught us that there are two streams in the brain that become active when interpreting a sensation: bottom up processes, and top down processes.

When a sensory nerve registers a sensation, it send it to the brain and it enters via the bottom up process. Until now it is just a raw sensation, not yet a perception.

The brain’s job is to assign the sensation a meaning. Basically (a sensation + a meaning = a perception).

While the raw sense data is coming up into the mind via the bottom up channel, the “higher” centres of the brain, that have access to all our memories starts a process called the “top down” process that attempts to assign a meaning to the sense data. To do this it relies on our memories, and also our “state” (how we are feeling right now, our mood, which emotions are in play at the moment, etc…).

The two processes meet in the middle so to speak and finally assign a meaning to the sense data.

This wonderful machine can get it wrong sometimes, sort of like your perceptions can be tricked by an optical illusion.

Now in this example case, the cause was easy to identify, a grain of rice. But in other cases, it’s not as clear.

Just wanted to point out that not all sensations of ‘damage’ indicate actual damage. Also note that our mood and our expectations can strongly affect how we perceive sense data. After struggling with FQ damage, we can become hypervigilant to sensations in the affected body parts, also our mood can be affected, and we become fearful and start to expect the worst.

I’ve learned to look out for these kind of ‘perceptual illusions’ in my recovery.

Sometimes it’s best not to over-interpret every little (or even big) ache or pain that we get. Especially later in our recovery.

A big clue that you may be experiencing this, is if your mood state causes dramatic changes in you pain levels.

Also, a good way to get better at sorting out your sense data is to meditate.

29. Daniel L May 11, 2016 at 7:05 am Reply

Something to ponder:

I believe this is the biggest lesson that Cipro has taught me.

30. Sarah May 11, 2016 at 8:48 am Reply

Hi Daniel,

I’ve loved reading through your posts, your positive attitude is amazing! I took 4 cipro tablets 2 weeks ago and have had achilles tendon pain in my right ankle and pain in my calf since the second day of my course. I stopped the cipro the day after the pain started on the second night. It’s funny, because I had some sort of anxiety attack in bed on the first night (racing heart, panic), but I didn’t think too much of it, just did some meditation and calmed myself down, but in hindsight, I’m starting to think it was my body somehow trying to tell me not to take the cipro.

Anyway, I’ve been able to walk, thankfully, but was in a lot of pain at the start of this week, so have been trying to stay off my feet as much as I can the past few days, I’ve had lots of swelling too. I tried a 10 minute walk today, which wasn’t overly painful, but my ankles in both feet are aching quite a bit now.

I’m taking a lot of supplements, all the usual things mentioned in many of the posts on this site (MitoQ, PPQ, vit E, B12, mag gly, zinc, iron, evening primrose and NAC) and I’m also making my own bone broth which I’ve read can be helpful with rebuilding collegen. I’m also thinking of trying Biosil, but was wondering if the gelatin/collegen in the bone broth would do the job just as well and more cheaply?!

I’ve been wondering about exercise, I know it’s early days for me, but until a couple of weeks ago, I used to take ballet class twice a week, just as a hobby, I’m not a professional dancer or anything like that, but ballet is so hard on the achilles tendons, I’m wondering if I’ll ever be able to dance again. How long do you think I’ll have to wait to be healed enough to try ballet again? Six months or a year at least I’m thinking. To be honest, I’m not even sure I’ll ever be able to trust my achilles not to rupture, even if I wait years 😦 I’m intending to build up my exercise slowly, a ten minute walk for now, then longer walks, some gentle stretching, but I’m way to scared to try this just yet, then maybe eventually a pilates class. I used to snowboard a lot too, but again, I don’t know if I’ll ever have enough confidence in my achilles to do this again, like surfing, the movement is all based in the ankles and the knees. What was your exercise regimen, and how did you manage to build up to being able to surf again? Where you nervous the first time you got back on your board?

I’m just taking things one day at a time at the moment, trying to stay positive and concentrating on the good things in life that I can still do, like reading, knitting, cuddling my puppy, listening to music and learning to meditate. I know I WILL recover from this, I just don’t know WHEN.

BTW, have you managed to treat your SIBO? I also have this too and have tried many things to eradicate it over the years, it’s very difficult to deal with though, so for now I’m trying to manage it with the FODMAPS diet and occasional courses of supplements. Ironically, I took the cipro to treat my SIBO.

• Daniel L May 11, 2016 at 9:34 am Reply

So sorry you’ve had to join us in this struggle, but don’t despair.

I wouldn’t take Biosil right now, the other supplements are plenty.

I found some supplements were only helpful at certain stages, and you can get vitaminosis from taking too many at once. If cost is an issue, I’d wait to take Biosil later.

MitoQ however is very good especially on days where you exercise, to help offset the extra oxidative stress. I don’t even take that every day anymore, but I do when I exercise.

I am impressed by your self awareness. Your body did indeed seem like it was trying to get your attention.

This kind of skill will be useful in your recovery.

As for SIBO, this is maybe the only good thing that Cipro did for me. It wiped it out. 🙂 I’m not sure how to advise you there, but you might want to keep taking a lot of good probiotics and fermented veggies, unpasteurized sauerkraut, kimchi etc.

My exercise regimen has been reduced compared to before.

I used to be able to mountain bike for hours on the north shore in Vancouver (all the double black moves, all of em!) even. I could also surf for hours in heavy surf.

Now I’m out of shape, but not so much because of Cipro. I am also prone to burnouts, or adrenal fatigue.

The stress from dealing with FQ toxicity and other life events led me into an adrenal crash last summer, one that I am slowly recovering from

This is a condition that I have always been prone to, so may not apply to you.

For exercise I would suggest taking it easy for the first 6 weeks, then slowly start building up intensity based on what you can tolerate. But also every other week you might want to reduce intensity even if you feel fine. Kind of like putting the gas pedal on, then backing off.

I also found that in all these activities we do, there is often a ‘quiet core’ to that activity that we can continue to enjoy.

See the post above about mountain biking and balance for example. You might be able to find that ‘quiet core’ of the activities you like, and get nearly as much enjoyment until you fully recover.

If you are a meditator, you might want to focus on that, and listen to what you body is telling you, with discernment of course, because it may be sending mixed signals right now.

You are right you will recover from this.

Also, unless you are elderly, and your snowboarding and ballet would seem to indicate otherwise, your tendon will not rupture. I can almost guarantee it won’t.

In fact the snowboarding and dance you did before, they built up your tendons to stronger than the average person’s. So you have plenty to spare.

Put that out of your mind completely!

Really, forget about ruptures. That’s like the bogeyman under your bed, it’s not real.

• Sarah May 12, 2016 at 7:19 am Reply

Thanks so much for your reply, particularly for reassuring me about ruptures. I don’t think I’ve slept properly since this started as I’ve been worrying about waking up in the middle of the night with a spontaneous rupture. It didn’t cross my mind that ballet may have made my tendons more resilient, I dread to think how much worse the damage could have been if they weren’t, thanks for pointing that out, it’s a very comforting thought. I’m looking forward to the big improvement at 10-12 weeks, although I am noticing small incremental improvements every day. It’s not a huge difference, but it’s definitely happening. I think I’ve been very, very lucky that the extent of the damage wasn’t any worse than my tendons and calf muscles, unless there’s a nasty surprise waiting for me and my symptoms will worsen at some point.

When you mentioned taking it easy for six weeks, how easy did you mean? I’m really trying to rest as much as I can, but I’m not sure if I should try and do something other than potter around the house and garden (I work from home thankfully, so I haven’t had to struggle to get to work). As I mentioned, I took a ten minute walk yesterday, but I’m thinking I shouldn’t even do that just yet. Maybe just rest and heal as much as I can before starting to walk for more than a few minutes, then some gentle stretching. I have a wedding and a trip to London in 3 weeks time, so I’m hoping I’ll at least be able to get about without causing to much damage if I concentrate on healing as much as I can for the next few weeks.

I’m so sorry to hear about your setback with adrenal fatigue, how are you now compared to last summer, are you able to do any surfing/biking? I love your idea of finding a ‘quiet core’ and finding balance on your bike when you couldn’t go out and ride. I was thinking in a few weeks that I could try some ballet positions while lying down, just so my tendon gets used to being in those positions, but without my body weight to stress it. I’ve already tried to point my toes and tried a very gentle releve (tip toes) using the end of the bath as resistance and this feels stiff and slightly painful, but not too bad. Come to think of it, there’s actually a class at my ballet school called floor barre, which is all the usual exercises, but done on the floor (obviously!) which would be perfect to try maybe in 3 or 4 months.

How long did you take MitoQ for until you moved to just using it after exercise? I usually take CoQ10 anyway as I have a mitochondrial disease. I’ve tried MitoQ in the past for my condition, to help with fatigue, but never really noticed any difference in my energy levels, I only took it for a month though and then stopped as it’s really expensive. I’ve spent so much money on supplements this past week and I don’t think I’ll be able to sustain the amount I’m taking beyond a month or two, although I’m definitely going to continue with the magnesium, CoQ10 in some form, the NAC and the bone broth (they’re supposed to be good for Mitochondrial Disease too).

Again, I can’t thank you enough for you kind words of advice and support, this is a terrifying condition to deal with, I don’t know how I would have coped without the people who’ve posted their recovery stories on this site. It’s really reassuring to know that others have got through this, and that it can be beat. I think a positive attitude is very important, and strangely enough, even though I’ve been scared and in a lot of pain for the past few weeks, and probably will be for who knows how much longer, my mood has been better than it usually is, it’s so odd. I haven’t cried about this once, even though they’ve been nights when I was so frightened, it’s really odd.

BTW, I’m really glad to hear that the cipro has cleared your SIBO, at least it did one good thing! I had a similar experience five years ago when I was given cipro for a UTI, it had the great side effect of completely ridding me of my SIBO. Unfortunately, it does tend to creep back after a while though. I think with me, I was symptom free for a couple of years before it came back. You can prevent/slow down it’s return with the FODMAPS diet, and also by addressing the reason for the SIBO.

Wow, that’s such a long post, sorry about that.

Take care 🙂

• Daniel L May 12, 2016 at 4:41 pm

>When you mentioned taking it easy for six weeks, how easy did you mean? I’m really trying to rest as much as I can, but I’m not sure if I should try and do something other than potter around the house and garden…

You mentioned you have swelling, so anything load bearing at this point may make things worse. However biking can be a great way to get some exercise, and to keep your ankles moving without loading them too much.

How easy? Not sure, but you will know. If you are sore the next day then you did too much.

>I’m so sorry to hear about your setback with adrenal fatigue, how are you now compared to last summer, are you able to do any surfing/biking?

I have been biking moderately, surfing too, just not very long sessions. I can get 80% of the same enjoyment biking an easy trail for 15 minutes as I could get biking a super hard trail for 2 hours. Same thing for surfing.

You may find a similar way to enjoy ballet and snowboarding, or even discover a love for a new activity. (Swimming is good for floxies too, for example.)

Adrenal fatigue has come and gone for me perhaps all my life, so I don’t think it’s ‘Cipro’ that ’caused’ it. I found that meditation has a protective effect. I’ve been meditating for 10 years and din’t have a bout of adrenal problems the whole time.

Maybe this time the stress was just too much. But it’ll be ok.

>How long did you take MitoQ for until you moved to just using it after exercise?

I took it for 8 months daily, but now just take it on days I exercise.

>my mood has been better than it usually is, it’s so odd. I haven’t cried about this once, even though they’ve been nights when I was so frightened, it’s really odd.

Our minds have circuit breakers I think. Some things are to scary to register fully. Like looking at the sun would burn your eyes out.

You may cry later. And I don’t say that to scare you, because honestly crying would be a normal reaction to something like this.

And if you are finding the supplements hard to keep up with, the good thing is that the most important ones are the cheapest: Mg, Vitamin E,C a good Multi, a good B complex.

I would put all my energy into calmly preparing for that trip to London at this point, perhaps with some light exercise, because the body does have to move to heal.

You will be ok however, the part in between won’t always be easy, but don’t be so sure either, some people have mild reactions, and recover quickly. You may be one of them.

I’ll tell you something perhaps a bit odd. I love squirrels, and we are blessed with many of them in our yard. I recognize the individuals when they come to our door for treats, in some cases I even know where they live by watching them retire to their nest at night.

When I have trouble falling asleep, I think of them, and how they are all sleeping in their nests and in holes in trees all around my house, and I think how at that moment we are all in the same boat: tired and trying to get some sleep.

If you have trouble falling asleep, you can think that there are people out on the internet wishing you well, and that we are all going to get through this together.

I can’t scientifically explain why that would help, but I think it does.

• Daniel L May 11, 2016 at 12:44 pm Reply

Also since it’s only been 2 weeks, don’t get discouraged, the worst is at the beginning.

Many people experience a big improvement around 10-12 weeks in. So mark that on your calendar.

Hang in there, you sound like you are taking all the right things. Stay as calm as you can, experience joy everyday and it will go faster.

31. Daniel L May 11, 2016 at 9:53 am Reply

Most of the time I pray to God to ask him for what I want.

When I’m really brave though, I ask him to give me what I _need_.

32. Daniel L May 14, 2016 at 5:16 pm Reply

The west Coast of Vancouver Island has it’s very own surf town: Tofino.

I’ve been there a few times, and starting to get that feeling again…

• Daniel L May 14, 2016 at 5:19 pm Reply

Just the part around 1:36 in where you can see the swell…hmm.

33. Nicole Reedy May 15, 2016 at 10:11 am Reply

My son, his family & a group of their friends are going for the long weekend on Thursday. I get to keep the dog. (: Feel so lucky that I can at least look out my window & see the inlet, mountains and the downtown Vancouver skyline! God I love BC!!!!!!!
    The minute you get your energy back Mr. Daniel, I say go for it!!!! (:
    PS. My family dr told me to warn my son about these antibotics as the reaction to it can run in families he thinks. He’s turning a death ear to me & he is a daily mountain biker like you!!!!!

• Daniel L May 15, 2016 at 10:39 am Reply

I’ve ridden every double black trail on the North Shore, mostly on Mt Fromme (where Mountain Highway ends) and Seymour, but also on Cypress.

I am older now so don’t take as many risks, but I did ride all the trails and with all the hardest moves too at one time or another, even the completely insane Flying Circus trail featured in the video.

I’m proud of that, though I’m not a pro rider, and no one knows me. I also ride a ‘hard-tail’ bike too, no rear suspension.

I’ve crashed so many times I can’t even count, but I’m still here, and you know what I’ll be back on the North Shore trails soon, I’m sure of it.

I have to stop babying myself.

• Daniel L May 15, 2016 at 10:49 am Reply

[video src="http://208.76.106.250/north-shore-rock-ride.mp4" /]

Here’s a short little video of me on one of the trails on Mt Fromme: “Upper Oilcan”.

34. Nicole Reedy May 15, 2016 at 11:32 am Reply

Thanks for sharing this Daniel, I will show this to Jon as he will know where that is. He is not a pro biker as well but he & his wife, Jess, were pro skiers, X-Games & all. He does bike with the pro bikers in Whistler. They are 33 now & my thoughts of how this would change his life & with young kids is scary. But the fact he has lost quite I few friends in skiing accidents I guess he does not have the fear maybe he should!
    I just loved seeing you and makes you more real to me. Like one of my kids. I know you keep saying you are getting older but I am sure I could still be your mom. I have a 45 year old daughter!
    Remember what you said about the mind last week putting us in a scary place we really are not in, the same mind can take you biking & out on the board!
    I feel so much more for you young ones who were out doing so much, I just need to get back to cleaning my house, babysitting & walking the seawall! (:
    I live in a condo at the base of the road up to Cypress & my son is in upper Lonsdale.

• Daniel L May 15, 2016 at 11:44 am Reply

To me biking seems safer to me than backcountry skiing. At least there are not avalanches in mountain biking.

We lived for a few years near Jericho beach, just off Point Grey Rd (just near to where the Lululemon guy built his horrid mansion actually) and I distinctly remember the feeling I’d get when I got on the Lions Gate Bridge on the way to the North Shore with my bike in the back.

The view opens up right there, and there is that feeling of anticipation: great deeds to be done!

It is a beautiful part of the country, too bad the prices are insanely out of reach for us non billionaires now. But what can you do?

35. Nicole Reedy May 15, 2016 at 12:40 pm Reply

Know the Lululemon mansion well. My husband builds these over priced boxes for a investment company and we just lease our condo for the privilege of living in West Vancouver! When my son & his wife were house hunting on the north shore a year & a half ago they were getting bid out every time. They decided to just over spend & go for it! If that house had not gone through they were going to give up for a year. It did & are they glad as a tear down in Edgemont & upper Lonsdale can be hitting near 2 mill. now!!!!! Crazy place here now! Can’t stop those money people from coming and sure not does hurt our business! My husband said to tell you that all those people who own little run down homes in East Vancouver are millonaires now!
    Yes the biking is safer than the skiing. Sadly most of their were lost to avalanches.

36. Daniel L May 15, 2016 at 1:05 pm Reply

That is very sad that he lost friends to avalanches.

It is also impressive that he was pr, I never got even close to X-Games caliber that’s for sure, but I had my own thing I could do well.

In the end you do it for yourself, I have very few videos and pictures to show for all that biking, but I did enjoy spending time int he woods.

That was the best part, probably, the solitude in the woods, and I can still do that whether what I’m riding is extreme or not.

Actually there was another reason I did all that I think, but that would be a longer post that I can maybe post one day.

Your business must be doing well indeed. Good for you.

And as for the Lululemon house, I think it’s horrid, but the sun shines for everyone, and if that makes that guy happy and he can afford it, good for him.

37. Nicole Reedy May 15, 2016 at 2:53 pm Reply

Believe or not there is a worse house being built in lower West Van. I think 25,000sft. on a city lot! Of course the neighbours fought it but went nowhere.

Like you I just enjoy the woods & nature.

The risks they take at that level of skiing is crazy. Lost 5 close friends, 3 in avalanches & 2 in ski accidents. My son retired at 22 and went back to UBC & works in the the tech industry. His wife skied until she was was 29 & was on the USA team for halfpipe then a young woman who was the worlds top womens skier who had been my sons friend since grade school was killed in a training accident that turned just about everyones life upside down so his wife retired the next day. A lot of their friends are still in the ski industry but for them it was time for a family & a different life. The mountain biking still gives him enough rush.

Well our business is good for the investors at least but keeps the old man working!(:

Waiting for your other story someday!

• Daniel L May 19, 2016 at 10:10 am Reply

Well the real reason I did all that extreme stuff was two fold:

1) During, you get a sense of intense focus and calm. You can’t worry about bills, or your grades at school or any of your problems during a technical stunt.

2) After, you get an afterglow. Almost like a survivors rush. You feel elated that you pulled it off and got away with that dangerous thing you just did.

If not approached from a healthy place these two things can become addictive. And for me they might have been a way to run away from problems I was going through, but they also introduced me to me a great group of friends and gave me exercise.

As in everything, the key is to balance the risk vs. the reward.

38. Daniel L May 25, 2016 at 1:00 pm Reply

Giving 300%.

Two different people told me today that I have been giving 300% for years.

I let out a deep breath. It felt so good to acknowledge that.

For many of us, just living a ‘normal life’ after being jacked up by Cipro or whatever other health challenges we may have is going way way beyond.

So take time to acknowledge that in your life, we are all giving all we got here.

If anybody isn’t happy with that, then they can just … {this space intentionally left blank}

39. Daniel L May 31, 2016 at 5:14 am Reply

A touching video about a rare ‘Blossom Bat’ and Louise Saunders from Bat Conservation & Rescue who nursed her back to health after a suspected cat attack.

Click on “Show More” to read her story.

40. Daniel L June 5, 2016 at 2:05 pm Reply

I wanted to point out this post on freetheanimal.com that discuses test results from ubiome and American Gut. (https://freetheanimal.com/2015/11/ubiome-results-function.html)

The short version is that the author was testing to see what the effect was of taking a course of the probiotic ‘Elixa'[1] and that there is likely testing error since the results made no sense.

You can read the entire post to see what specifically didn’t make sense.

Just pointing it out so that people don’t over interpret these tests if it reports a strain or metabolic pathway is missing. Lack of sample homogeneity means it could have been detected somewhere else in the ‘sample’.

[1] Elixa is the best probiotic I have ever used. Highly recommended. (http://www.elixa-probiotic.com/)

41. Daniel L June 19, 2016 at 9:38 am Reply

Reposted here for the record.

I wanted to post that I’ve had some success alleviating some lingering symptoms by making sure I got all my essential amino acids.

It’s been shown that FQs directly damage the collagen matrix, but I believe they also interfere with healing by disrupting intestinal flora, leading to malabsorption of many vitamins, minerals and amino acids.

In my case I definitely had malabsorption which was causing me to be low on several amino acids. It can be subtle, I never noticed anything particularly wrong till I supplemented with amino acids, and saw improvements in some areas.

If you have low stomach acid or GERD/heartburn, you may not be absorbing your nutrients well either.

The nice thing about this is that taking amino acids directly does not require digestion. So it can benefit you even if your stomach or gut is not yet perfect.

• L-Argine/L-Ornithine (Now Sports formulation): Since I started taking this I have noticed my feet have a much healthier color to them. Not that they were purple before, but there must have been some mild circulation problems. These amino acids are known to dilate blood vessels, so do not take if you have low blood pressure.

• Glutamine: Excellent for healing the gut. Before, if I poked myself in the abdomen it felt sore. This went away after 2 weeks on Glutamine.

• L-Histidine: good if you have low stomach acid, but read the side effects on that one cause it can worsen some conditions.

• “Freeminos” by True Hope: this formulation includes all 23 essential amino acids and all branch chain ones as well. This is a broad spectrum one that covers all the bases, but in a lower dose than a single supplement, obviously.

• N-Acetylglucosamine (Ultimate Glucosamine): Not an amino acid but also helps heal your gut and connective tissues. This form is very efficiently absorbed, unlike most other formulations.

42. Daniel L June 21, 2016 at 4:54 am Reply

A song, as requested by Nicole Reeedy

It’s a song about leaving the islands. The Hawaiian lyrics speak of an island man and his love for Hawaii. One particular line is interesting, translating roughly as when an island child leaves, he becomes stillborn.

Justin Young – One foot on sand

43. Daniel L July 5, 2016 at 1:45 pm Reply

I’m still doing my pull-ups and working my way up to a 1 arm pull-up. I used to be able to do 2, aiming for that again.

Also here’s a happy song. I love the bridge at around 2:28.

This one, also by Bo Napoleon is also beautiful. The speech at the beginning are the final words of Bob Marley to his fans.

44. Daniel L July 15, 2016 at 6:00 am Reply

Another tune about Home.

45. Nicole Reedy July 15, 2016 at 10:48 am Reply

Hi Daniel,
    Thank you for the beautiful song!
    I have been thinking about you all morning as I reread your recovery story to pull myself back together last night.
    Six weeks ago I thought I was heading for recovery then boom! It seems I am so much worse today than the beginning?!
    My tendons were feeling stronger & I guess I did try & push it too much. Then the neuropathy body burning started until I was screaming at times! LOL Now my tendons are worse than before, have gone through hives & well….this is just crazy.
    I got my shoulder ultrasound back ( my 1st tendon ) to hurt and it has a full thickness tear. My worst pain is in my feet so if my shoulder is torn what about my feet?!
    I know at 65 I can have things go wrong anyway but so afraid of being in a wheelchair.
    I know you talk about the anger being toxic but when your life is turned upside down & you feel you have lost everything normal it is just hard to forgive & get on with it. But you have to trust in faith & do it anyway!
    So I have regrouped in my brain & just getting back to just taking my supplements, meditating & getting my IV’s. Need to listen to music more!!!!
    Hope you are doing great!
    Not the best summer weather wise here! My son just got back from a Microsoft conference
    in Toronto and said you guys are hot & humid!
    Have a great day!!! (:
    Nicole

• Daniel L July 15, 2016 at 4:32 pm Reply

I’m glad my story helps you, but to be honest sometimes I don’t always feel worthy of such praise.

I had to work hard at maintaining my positivity, and it’s kind of funny because my upper body can do almost anything, but my legs can still give trouble even now.

But I think the place where Cipro damages us the most is in our minds, I don’t mean our brains, which can definitely take a beating, but our minds.

The fear, the anxiety, I think I’m going to search the psychology literature and look for articles on the psychological effects of poisoning. I think if there is any, a lot of it would apply to us.

As for anger, I totally understand. I have always had anger and frustration problems. This can be difficult when you are a programmer, as I am, because programming is frustrating. I used to get so angry.

So I know anger.

But it’s funny, I firmly believe that the first immovable obstacle we meet in our lives can teach us a lot. When it’s no longer possible to negotiate our way around a problem we become faced with our true predicament.

That predicament was there all along, just that now the obstacle makes it possible to clearly see it.

I had to let go of anger because it was poisoning me even more than cipro. That’s why it’s sad for me to see people become angry, which is understandable, but even sadder when I see them go on to fuel their anger (a lot of forums are stuck at this stage, but luckily not this one).

So you totally have a right to be angry, but I think you are doing the right thing in not feeding it. If you feed it, there is enough in Cipro toxicity to fuel a lifetime of anger and to ruin your life.

If you meditate you might catch a glimpse of how anger works. The fire analogy is apt. It starts as a spark and typically we then go on to add fuel to that spark by ruminating over some frustrating or disappointing problem.

But if you refrain from giving it fuel, it will die on its own.

The first time I was able to do this with a powerful bout of anger was like a kind of enlightenment for me. It was a very important day in my life that I still remember very clearly.

Also I had some setbacks like yours, they can turn around surprisingly quickly.

The mindbody connection is so strong that sometimes stress can induce the very same physical symptoms of an illness, even if there is no underlying damage. I believe it’s called a pain sensitization syndrome. Interstitial cystitis is an example, and I believe that something similar plays a role in our troubles.

I’m going to be in Tofino in August, hoping to really catch some proper ocean waves this time. 🙂

It is indeed very hot here, but I like it until it reaches 30º or so.

Hang in there.

46. Nicole Reedy July 15, 2016 at 11:06 am Reply

PS. Really love One Foot on Sand!

47. Nicole Reedy July 16, 2016 at 12:29 pm Reply

Good-Morning Daniel,

Thank you so much for your email.

I put a lot the into mind damage theory. I actually know quite a bit about this & probably not in a good way.

Even though, I have been given many divine signs to show me how to let it go and everything will be okay. In all those cases when I did let the situation leave my mind the problem did disappear! I was always given another situation in place of the one I was worrying about in order to let go of the one that moved out of my life. I have never been able to do this on my own but I really should be a master at it because of the signs I have had over and over. I would like to share some of these stories with you when I figure out how to skype!

Kerri from our Fluoroquinolone book had suggested a book called “You Are the Placebo”.
    I am finding it very interesting and if you have not read it I think you would as well. The theory is something I have always believed in but have used it in the negative instead of the positive my whole life. There were things in my childhood that feed this fear & negativity in my life. Maybe I have come to this place to finally LET IT GO!

I certainly am not saying my symptoms are in my head. I know I have at least one torn tendon & when the neuropathy symptoms started I was in shock & had not read or remembered anyone’s story of burning so could not have been put in my head. I am saying that maybe we do hold on to things a bit out of fear.

The thing with this dilemma we are is it has so many more unknowns than what is known. We have a supplement regiment we see working so the we hit it running! None of these things can hurt us ( except in the pocket book ) so worth doing for sure. I know I mentally feel stronger but my body did not agree.

Can just what we drink or eat cause rebounds, who knows for sure. I have talked to a few people who did not have the fear of everything or got over it and saw no difference. I have been afraid of just about everything including so afraid of the fact I may have to take a antibiotic again or just about anything that will set me off that I have probably done it with stress alone!

I would say my severe rebound was probably just detoxing because I was doing so much & maybe over did it before my body was ready. Or maybe it was just going to happen anyway!

I do believe if we can become strong enough to truly let it go, it will. Just such a hard thing to do when every pain or feeling you get takes your brain to that dark Cipro place! LOL

Funny you mentioned interstitial cystitis. I suffer from this and know I have probably been treated for UTI,s I did not even have because of it.

Last night I had the same pain I had when I had my diverticulitis attack & chose to just lay in bed even if I died instead of going to the hospital. Would have never felt that way before.
    Always trusted the ER was the place to go in a emergency. It’s terrible to think you would rather die?! Fear is a awful powerful & terrible thing!!!!

Anyway I hope you enjoy Tofino!!!

I was suppose to go to Whistler in August for a family thing but not going to push myself now.
    I love to spend Thanksgiving there so will somehow do it if I have to sit on a bench the whole time! LOL

Have a great weekend!!!

Nicole

• Daniel L July 17, 2016 at 6:23 am Reply

I wish I had the time for a longer reply but I have to leaves soon.

I just wanted to say that I feel for you. I know how hard it is, however…

You are 6 weeks out. If you even have any good days at all before about 12 weeks I consider that a good sign.

Also when you have a good day, then some bad days remember that you can get back to the good days too.

Your body knows how, it just has some work to do that makes you feel awful.

The good days are the real you. The real you is kind of like a gold nugget buried in some mud.

It can be hard to find it and we have to dig a lot, but once we find it, it still shines like new.

(Of course with cipro, we may lose our gold nugget many times, but hey my analog isn’t perfect…)

Also don’t put too much stock in that scar found on in the ultrasound. If you took healthy people and did ultrasounds on them, I’m sure we’d find all sorts of scars too. It may be related to cipro or it may not, it may mean something or it may not. Go with how you feel.

• Daniel L July 17, 2016 at 6:25 am Reply

Also sorry, I misspoke, I know you are not just 6 weeks out from floxing, I meant from the tendon issues as you mentioned.

Any news symptom give it 10-12 weeks before looking for recovery. My tendon issues started day one, so that’s why I referenced it that way.

• Danie L July 22, 2016 at 9:24 am Reply

Hope you are doing better Nicole.

I wasn’t satisfied with how I answered your post the other day.

I think the core advice I’d give you is to look at the good days you’ve had as evidence that you can get back to that good place when things fall apart.

The runs of bad days will get shorter and shorter.

48. Doug Lieuwen July 18, 2016 at 1:25 pm Reply

Just wondering if you are from Northern BC Canada like I am?

• Daniel L July 18, 2016 at 1:46 pm Reply

I am not from BC, though I lived in Vancouver.

It is a nice place to be from though, and I visit regularly 🙂

I am heading to Tofino in August to do some surfing.

Maybe next year to North Vancouver to ride the trails again, if the recovery keeps going well.

Hope you are not too badly affected by our favourite class of antibiotics.

Cheers

Daniel

49. Daniel L July 19, 2016 at 11:09 am Reply

Just wanted to let you guys know. I’m about 18 months out and I went and rode some real mountain bike trails for the first time since Cipro.

The trails were fairly challenging, especially the climbs which are full of roots and rocks.

I found I still had the same finesse I always had on the trails (sorry to boast, but it’s true 🙂 ) and was pleasantly surprised at my stamina.

Also every time there was a fork in the trail that said “Easy” one way and “Hard” the other I took “Hard” and still nearly “cleaned” the whole trail, only putting my foot down once.

I rode for amout 30 min, which I consider good for a first time.

So it was a good day.

• Danie L July 22, 2016 at 9:28 am Reply

A follow up on the bike ride.

This is just as important as the initial ‘announcement’, because as we all know, exertion can sometimes trigger relapses.

I was a bit tired the day after, but I had no significant joint or tendon issues following the ride, despite it being a much higher lever of exertion than usual for me these days.

Seems like my recovery might be stable enough to allow me to get back to the sports I love after all.

50. Sarah July 19, 2016 at 12:10 pm Reply

“For all of you floxed people who used to be into sports, there is hope that you can get back to the activities you love.”

I’m so so glad to hear this, it’s been almost three months since I took cipro and started to experience problems with my achilles tendons. Until a couple of weeks ago I was doing really well, virtually pain free and back to walking normally. I was beginning to think that I’d maybe got away with being only mildly ‘floxed’ and was well on my way to recovery, I was even contemplating returning to ballet class and maybe even snowboarding in the autumn. Then out of nowhere, last weekend I seem to have developed what I think may be plantar fasciitis, which has taken me all the way back to square one with regards pain and being able to walk, which has also made me lose faith in ever recovering from this 😦 Will I begin to recover only to develop another problem or is it normal to have periods of recovery followed by relapses or the development of new problems?

I’m so disappointed as it looks like plantar fasciitis is really hard to recover from and can become a permanent deformity in the tendon. I really hope that someday I’ll be well enough to get back to the sports I used to love. I was determined to recover from this initially, but feel less sure now. Sorry for being so negative, I know it’s important to try and keep a positive attitude when dealing with this.

• Daniel L July 19, 2016 at 12:36 pm Reply

It’s totally normal to develop new problems, or to regress on existing ones, some people call it ‘cycles’.

I did cycle, and still do even. If you took 3months to get pain free I’d consider it a good sign.

One thing I failed to mention in my post above, is that it’s not necessary to wait for your tendons to be perfect to start your activities. Of course be careful, but if you can find a gentle subset of your activities that you can do, that would be great.

For me I biked on an easy flat trail for 18 months before heading to the hills. And I’m still a long way from the North Vancouver trails I’d like to be riding (http://www.trailforks.com/trails/upper-oilcan/photos/)

Take care of you bones and you tendons (for bones VitaminD3, vitamin K2 and a bit of Calcium citrate).

Cipro can cause malabsorption. IF you aren’t getting the right minerals for your bones, they will degenerate.

The achilles tendon attaches to bone, so if the bone there is constantly remodeling itself, then the tendon has to constantly rework itself to maintain a good attachment.

You have to make sure both bone and tendon are getting the nutrients they need to stabilize together.

For Vitamin K2 I take the innovite extra strength drops, and I take a lot.