HEALING STORY: I took Cipro off and on for about 10 years for recurring UTIs. I discovered in July of 2016 that Cipro was causing my rapidly declining health.
My symptoms included knee pain/tendonitis, hip pain, memory loss, cognitive processing delays, brain fog, headaches, insulin regulation problems/prediabetes, night sweats, anxiety, panic attacks, extreme sensitivity to noise, sensitivity to light, dry skin (very dry and cracked skin on feet that resembled athlete’s foot), sensitive skin (while removing a band-aid, pieces of the skin on my arm came off), insomnia, and chronic fatigue.
1. Acupuncture – I did this treatment for about 3 months. The pain started to dissipate after about 6 weeks.
2. Neurofeedback – I did this treatment twice a week for about 10 weeks. This helped with my memory issues, brain fog, cognitive processing, anxiety, and headaches.
3. Vitamins & Supplements – My naturopathic doctor ran intracellular nutrient testing to see which vitamins and minerals I was deficient in. I was taking about 30 pills a day at one point. I took all of these for about 6 months before starting to ween off. (Vitamin A, B-complex, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K2, Magnesium, Calcium, D-ribose, CoQ10, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Zinc, Copper, L-asparagine, Chromium, 5-HTP, Curcumin, NAC, Kavinace, Probiotic) Prior to going to the naturopathic doctor, I used the book The Real Vitamin & Mineral Book by Shari Lieberman to put together a supplement plan for myself.
4. Plant-based diet – I cut out all meat, dairy and animal products and focused on eating a diet high in micronutrients and low in saturated fat. I used the nutrition advice from Dr. Neal Barnard (Reversing Diabetes) and Dr. Joel Fuhrman (Eat to Live).
5. Meditation – I started practicing Yoga Nidra and began cultivating a meditation practice using the techniques I learned in those classes. I use several apps to do meditation at home including Headspace and Insight Timer. I meditate at least once a day and sometimes twice daily.
6. Mindbody connection/tension myositis syndrome treatment – I used the techniques in Dr. John Sarno’s book (The Mindbody Prescription) to deal with underlying issues that were causing pain. After following the techniques in that book, all my remaining pain went away.
7. CFS Unraveled (https://cfsunravelled.com/) – This site has great videos on how chronic pain and other issues manifest in the body and I used the techniques outlined here to put together my own treatment plan. The recovery stories are also inspiring. Although the site isn’t dedicated to FQT, I do think that the antibiotics I took triggered the same response in the autonomic nervous system that many CFS and fibromyalgia sufferers deal with.
I’ve been physically active again for over 6 months. I run regularly and my longest runs have been about 5 miles. I do indoor cycling, strength training, hot yoga, and everything I used to do back when I was at my peak activity level. All of my symptoms are gone and I’ve been completely pain-free for several months.
** The story above is truthful, accurate and told to the best of the ability of the writer. It is not intended as medical advice. No person who submits his or her story, nor the people associated with Floxie Hope, diagnoses or treats any illness. The story above should not be substituted for professionally provided medical advice. Please consult your doctor before trying anything that has been mentioned in this story, or in any other story on this site. Please also note that people have varying responses to the treatments mentioned in each story. What helps one person may not help, and may even hurt, another person. It is important that you understand that supplements, IVs, essential oils, and all other treatments, effect people differently depending on the millions of variables that make each of us unique. Please use appropriate caution and prudence, and get professional medical advice.