WARNING: SERIOUS ADVERSE REACTIONS INCLUDING TENDINITIS, TENDON RUPTURE, PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY, CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM EFFECTS AND EXACERBATION OF MYASTHENIA GRAVIS
- Fluoroquinolones, including CIPRO®, have been associated with disabling and potentially irreversible serious adverse reactions that have occurred together including:
- Tendinitis and tendon rupture
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Central nervous system effects
- Discontinue CIPRO immediately and avoid the use of fluoroquinolones, including CIPRO, in patients who experience any of these serious adverse reactions. Fluoroquinolones, including CIPRO, may exacerbate muscle weakness in patients with myasthenia gravis. Avoid CIPRO in patients with known history of myasthenia gravis.
- Because fluoroquinolones, including CIPRO, have been associated with serious adverse reactions, reserve CIPRO for use in patients who have no alternative treatment options for the following indications:
- Acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis
- Acute uncomplicated cystitis
- Acute sinusitis
Some books, and a link to a documentary about fluoroquinolone toxicity, can be found HERE.
The facebook group, The Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Group, is full of wonderful and supportive people.
The ebook, The Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Solution, has helped many people through fluoroquinolone toxicity, and it is a good guide.